Markets still falling like whoa

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From the linked article above regarding We Work:

The founder personally locked up some of the trademarks for himself, and then sold them back to the company?  Very shady since presumably he's involved, at some level, of the decision to purchase the trademarks from himself. Possibly he recused himself from that decision but come on. I guess Gates screwed up not buying the name Microsoft for himself and then leasing it back to his own company.  [roll eyes]

I also read that if the founder dies, his wife basically has the power to choose the succeeding CEO but apparently there are some restrictions and/or scenarios that impact the decision. Why should a CEO spouse be involved in deciding the company future given the CEO's death? I understand that they might have voting power based on their new found shares but it shouldn't be because they're married to the CEO.

If founders wants to control their company so badly, why not keep it private. I realize the answer is that they and their investors want to get paid, and the cash flow and less-than-zero profits ain't going to pay them. I don't get why investors should want to get involved with companies that organize that appear to have questionable values. Is the CEO promising to behave more ethically in the future?

I wish I could short the hell out of this scam.

7 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Maybe, maybe not. Just depends what gets on Twitter over the weekend. No way to know right now but if everything stayed quiet I bet the market rebounds some on Monday. 

A 5% increase in tariffs on 550 billion in goods wont be helping things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

A 5% increase in tariffs on 550 billion in goods wont be helping things.

Its the narrative that's the problem. 5% increase on that amount is nothing given our strong consumer and GDP. The bad narrative which leads to CEOs being uncertain about CAPEX in the future including hiring is what makes this a bearish event. 

So if twitter is quiet and Trump has a good weekend at the G7, Monday should be alright.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Re:  The Trademarks.  That's not that unusual (individual officer/founder owning the registrations and licensing to the corporation).  In some cases, can have some tax benefits as compensation delivered as royalties.  That particular transaction seems pretty gnarly, but, again, it's probably just a re-labeling of compensation.  That is, he would have got the 5.9M anyway, as salary or for his stock, or goodwill or some shit.

This made me laugh (from OP/ED)

— Adam Neumann has sold $700 million in stock. As a founder, I've sold shares into a secondary offering to get some liquidity and diversify holdings. Ok, I get it. But 3/4 of a billion dollars? This is 700 million red flags that spell words on the field of a football field at halftime: "Get me the hell out of this stock, but YOU should buy some."

• Like 1

Definitely staying away from the market web sites right now. Don’t want emotions involved...I’ve been through the dot com bust and 2008...and have seen some really shitty days, months and years...but have also seen very strong growth overall.

College football is going to help a ton...starting mañana!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

This made me laugh (from OP/ED)

— Adam Neumann has sold $700 million in stock. As a founder, I've sold shares into a secondary offering to get some liquidity and diversify holdings. Ok, I get it. But 3/4 of a billion dollars? This is 700 million red flags that spell words on the field of a football field at halftime: "Get me the hell out of this stock, but YOU should buy some."

Definitely a stinker and that article is hilarious.  But the trademark deal is not all that unusual.  It is somewhat unusual that the VC or other investors didn't require him to fork over the TMs way before an IPO.

I heard this guy (and his original partner) on NPR not too long ago.  Very "evangelical" about a rather pedestrian concept.  It's office suites without walls ffs.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Re:  The Trademarks.  That's not that unusual (individual officer/founder owning the registrations and licensing to the corporation).  In some cases, can have some tax benefits as compensation delivered as royalties.  That particular transaction seems pretty gnarly, but, again, it's probably just a re-labeling of compensation.  That is, he would have got the 5.9M anyway, as salary or for his stock, or goodwill or some shit.

It’s one thing if there is a red flag here and there, but people seem to be pointing out a sea of red flags. It doesn’t mean that WeWork won’t be incredibly successful but it could create some operational issues if funds are continually funneled to the execs based on special compensation or they’re profiting off side deals.

Yep - trade mark deal is just the wilted parsley on a plate of inedible food that should be returned to the kitchen before the patron walks out.  Instead, many are ordering a second course and making reservations for tomorrow night's meal.

On its own the trademark transaction is nothing more than a shoulder shrug.  In the context of everything else.....well someone will get rich and it won't be the retail investor.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, hornbri said:

Maybe, maybe not. Just depends what gets on Twitter over the weekend. No way to know right now but if everything stayed quiet I bet the market rebounds some on Monday. 

See trump says “we are getting back to table with China” and now futures are pointed up. 

Someone could be making a ton of money just knowing what he is going to tweet. 

On 8/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, hornhorn said:

Its the narrative that's the problem. 5% increase on that amount is nothing given our strong consumer and GDP. The bad narrative which leads to CEOs being uncertain about CAPEX in the future including hiring is what makes this a bearish event. 

So if twitter is quiet and Trump has a good weekend at the G7, Monday should be alright.

Don't wanna say called it, but uh...called it. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The sell button on your trade app broke?

Nope. Sell button works fine. Just my brain and emotions that are broken. Won’t let me realize the paper loss. The emotions are afraid maybe the stock will turn around after I sell it...couldn’t live with the shame of that. So I keep riding it lower.

14 hours ago, swraith said:

Nope. Sell button works fine. Just my brain and emotions that are broken. Won’t let me realize the paper loss. The emotions are afraid maybe the stock will turn around after I sell it...couldn’t live with the shame of that. So I keep riding it lower.

I'm not a Cramer fan at all, but he tells the story of when he was trading and his trading partner (now his wife) was on his case about some shitty position that he was holding. He kept telling her that he wanted to sell them on the bounce to reduce the losses that he had in the stock. So one day she closes out the position while he is out of the office; he says he was pissed when he got back and she said she'd cover the cost of the trade if he wanted to buy it back. And he said that there is no way in hell he'd buy that shitty stock; he wasn't happy with the loss but he'd lost the emotional attachment to it.
We've all been there, I'm more critical of the sales I didn't make than the opportunities I didn't take  - sell that shit and move forward. Good luck

• Like 1

spacer.png

I saw an article that mentioned this little bit, and it's a little worrisome:

…thereafter each member shall hold office for a term of fourteen years from the expiration of the term of his predecessor, unless sooner removed for cause by the President.

I'd like to think he won't start fucking with the Fed, but....fuck it, I'm just going to keep my investments where they are and cross my fingers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

I saw an article that mentioned this little bit, and it's a little worrisome:

I'd like to think he won't start fucking with the Fed, but....fuck it, I'm just going to keep my investments where they are and cross my fingers.

The market is resilient.  Until it isn’t.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

That clip pisses me off.   I bought about 2000 shares of NVDA at 27 and sold them at 65, only to see them run damn near 5x where I sold them.   Uggh 

Just wait for the tariff bad news circle to hit again, the stock will be around $140s, buy LEAPS spread, profit!

• Like 1