Markets still falling like whoa

call me crazy, but I'm not real inclined to believe known lying agencies who were instrumental to the 2008 crisis (credit suisse and S&P both for fraudulently over-valuing garbage bonds) on the likelihood of a recession occurring. Especially since they have a fiscal interest in people believing the music isn't about to stop vis-a-vis transaction fees

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Mohamed El-Erian says that negative rates from the ECB is distorting the bond market, which is no doubt true. But inversion is still an interesting signal, especially in light of weakening new auto and home markets despite tax stimulus, full employment and low rates.

One of the biggest distortions in the home markets is availability.  There just isn't enough supply on hand and the low rates are distorting pricing.  The pricing also leads to a secondary problem, lack of movement up and down in the different sectors of housing.  People aren't selling because they want to extract more value/worried they won't be able to afford more house, people not moving from the rental/multi-family sector due to economic uncertainty, elevated prices, and wage stagnation.  Not to mention that auto and student loan debts are crippling some renters/lower tiered homeowners from moving up a tier.  It's a weird phenomenon.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2019 at 11:22 AM, babysdaddy said:

holy shit.  Are they paid companions?  

On 8/19/2019 at 11:33 AM, Trey3216 said:

Paid to leave  

On 8/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, bluto said:

Are those the nurse practitioners you’re contracting out, kinda a corporate retreat deal?
(I couldn’t type that with a straight face)

On 8/19/2019 at 5:29 PM, UTGrad98 said:

NPs I work with do not look like that...

On 8/19/2019 at 5:32 PM, Anastasis said:

Jesus. I'm going with 2, 1, 5, 3, 4 as the camera pans.   

These in Vegas are in the fitness industry. And possibly other industries too.  Use your imaginations.   But they’re all a good time.  No stuck up prudes allowed.  They come free when you’re dumb enough to spend thousands for a pool cabana.  

Love 52-80 hating w every comment. Lol. Moar on the way!

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Zwylde said:

Ha.  We did a 3 floor deal with them, but it was in a building that had been really dated and they invested heavily in their buildout.  So we went into thinking that even though it was a 15 year deal, if we got 7 years out of it, we were ahead and it was worth it.  Being in CRE for the last 25 years, I have been decidedly skeptical of WW, and their whole takeover of the world mentality.  When he sold $700 mil in stock right before the IPO, I just laughed.  

I read the article /op ed posted and then took a tour of their website.  

I’m not sure how well they manage real estate but they damn sure are experts in worthless MBA jargon to weave a tapestry of bullshit.  

My desire to work with any company is inversely related to how much time they spend weaving that crap into every presentation and conversation. 

• Like 3

Oops I tweeted again!

I can only laugh at Trump when he say shit about Jay Powell and the Fed, when it is his own "trade" policy/war or his tweeting about them that is causing turmoil in the market. And likely in the economy as well. 
He might be the "Chosen One" - but the question is chosen to do, exactly, what?

(sorry for politicing this thread)

12 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I wish I could operate his twitter account for a day. The ultimate in Insider Trading.

How do we know that isn't what he is doing?

instead of posting (as dictated by the new ChiTown directive) - I'm linking to a very surly thread on The Chive....the Triple B
https://thechive.com/2019/08/18/welcome-to-the-triple-b-show-41-photos/

From the linked article above regarding We Work:

Adam also owned the rights to the "We" trademark, which the firm decided they must own and paid the founder/CEO $5.9 million for the rights. The rights to a name nearly identical to the name of the firm where he's the founder/CEO and largest shareholder.

The founder personally locked up some of the trademarks for himself, and then sold them back to the company?  Very shady since presumably he's involved, at some level, of the decision to purchase the trademarks from himself. Possibly he recused himself from that decision but come on. I guess Gates screwed up not buying the name Microsoft for himself and then leasing it back to his own company.  [roll eyes]

I also read that if the founder dies, his wife basically has the power to choose the succeeding CEO but apparently there are some restrictions and/or scenarios that impact the decision. Why should a CEO spouse be involved in deciding the company future given the CEO's death? I understand that they might have voting power based on their new found shares but it shouldn't be because they're married to the CEO.

If founders wants to control their company so badly, why not keep it private. I realize the answer is that they and their investors want to get paid, and the cash flow and less-than-zero profits ain't going to pay them. I don't get why investors should want to get involved with companies that organize that appear to have questionable values. Is the CEO promising to behave more ethically in the future?

27 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I wish I could operate his twitter account for a day. The ultimate in Insider Trading.

I would bet every penny I have that there are some hedge fund managers getting calls from Kushner or even Trump himself the day before news like this breaks.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

These in Vegas are in the fitness industry. And possibly other industries too.  Use your imaginations.   But they’re all a good time.  No stuck up prudes allowed.  They come free when you’re dumb enough to spend thousands for a pool cabana.  

Love 52-80 hating w every comment. Lol. Moar on the way!

"*Student* beauticians, Mitch."

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From the linked article above regarding We Work:

The founder personally locked up some of the trademarks for himself, and then sold them back to the company?  Very shady since presumably he's involved, at some level, of the decision to purchase the trademarks from himself. Possibly he recused himself from that decision but come on. I guess Gates screwed up not buying the name Microsoft for himself and then leasing it back to his own company.  [roll eyes]

I also read that if the founder dies, his wife basically has the power to choose the succeeding CEO but apparently there are some restrictions and/or scenarios that impact the decision. Why should a CEO spouse be involved in deciding the company future given the CEO's death? I understand that they might have voting power based on their new found shares but it shouldn't be because they're married to the CEO.

If founders wants to control their company so badly, why not keep it private. I realize the answer is that they and their investors want to get paid, and the cash flow and less-than-zero profits ain't going to pay them. I don't get why investors should want to get involved with companies that organize that appear to have questionable values. Is the CEO promising to behave more ethically in the future?

Re:  The Trademarks.  That's not that unusual (individual officer/founder owning the registrations and licensing to the corporation).  In some cases, can have some tax benefits as compensation delivered as royalties.  That particular transaction seems pretty gnarly, but, again, it's probably just a re-labeling of compensation.  That is, he would have got the 5.9M anyway, as salary or for his stock, or goodwill or some shit.

The only thing that has been predictable over the past few months is that there's always something happening on Friday, and more often then not, Monday as well.  

5% out of the money strangles on the VXX weekly contract have been fun to monitor and trade.

And I'm talking a 1 day trade.  Market opens friday morning, by A long strangle 5% out of the money that expires that afternoon is pretty cheap, and the markets have been highly volatile on Fridays due to Big Chief's tweet storms.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The only thing that has been predictable over the past few months is that there's always something happening on Friday, and more often then not, Monday as well.  

5% out of the money strangles on the VXX weekly contract have been fun to monitor and trade.

And I'm talking a 1 day trade.  Market opens friday morning, by A long strangle 5% out of the money that expires that afternoon is pretty cheap, and the markets have been highly volatile on Fridays due to Big Chief's tweet storms.  

Play him off, Jerry Lee