Coach Tom Allen, Indiana

Beau Vine

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Real and not fake culture...no pretentious arrogance but humble integrity and accountability. And it then extends to the players who are clearly playing better than their “stars” would indicate. Better than Herman 

I haven't checked the rosters to verify this but I heard a stat on the radio that Allen has more players from Florida on his roster than anyone else in the B1G. He has connections down there from earlier in his coaching career, he was an assistant under Hugh Freaze at Ole Miss. Apparently he recruits heavily in the Tampa area. They say he knows where to go looking for overlooked talent from smaller schools. He also has some transfers that didn't work out at other programs. He plucked Ty Fryfogle out of Mississippi. That dude will play on Sundays. He's a stud. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I haven't checked the rosters to verify this but I heard a stat on the radio that Allen has more players from Florida on his roster than anyone else in the B1G. He has connections down there from earlier in his coaching career, he was an assistant under Hugh Freaze at Ole Miss. Apparently he recruits heavily in the Tampa area. They say he knows where to go looking for overlooked talent from smaller schools. He also has some transfers that didn't work out at other programs. He plucked Ty Fryfogle out of Mississippi. That dude will play on Sundays. He's a stud. 

Says a lot that he can get Florida kids to Indiana!

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Strikes me as a guy completely happy with where he is. He's also one more tOSU postponement from playing for his first Big 10 title. 

No he isn't. If the Michigan game doesn't happen and tOSU can't schedule a replacement, the conference will revisit their rules citing a need to be "flexible." They're not going to keep the only team in the conference with a chance to make the playoff out of the CCG. Barry Alvarez has already been telegraphing this. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No he isn't. If the Michigan game doesn't happen and tOSU can't schedule a replacement, the conference will revisit their rules citing a need to be "flexible." They're not going to keep the only team in the conference with a chance to make the playoff out of the CCG. Barry Alvarez has already been telegraphing this. 

If you're willing to change shit up on the fly, do it for more than just a money grab. I hate it when there's a fuck up during a game and it costs a team a victory, only to have the brass say "Yeah, that sucks but we're powerless to reverse that outcome or to fix anything.". Either be about getting things right all the time, or deal with the rules you already made.

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Strikes me as a guy completely happy with where he is. He's also one more tOSU postponement from playing for his first Big 10 title. 

4 hours ago, Filet-o-fish said:

Tom allen is at his dream Gig. He is From Indiana and is building a Monster, he and Pat Fitzgerald are dudes that are very happy with their situations. 

Yup. Not that I would want either, but both of you guys are right. 

Look closer. He has (or at least had) a really good QB (Penix) that schools like Indiana do not normally have. It’s college, good QB’s can really improve a coaches resume. Now, if he can duplicate the current success with Tua’s brother going forward? Yeah, that would change my opinion of what is going on in Bloomington.

IU had an 8 win season last season.

Penix went and played less than half the season last season due to shoulder injury. Peyton Ramsey was the qb for most of the season. Penix's freshman season was cut very very short to the same acl injury as this year. Be careful what you say....

They are legit.

Edited by Filet-o-fish

42 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Look closer. He has (or at least had) a really good QB (Penix) that schools like Indiana do not normally have. It’s college, good QB’s can really improve a coaches resume. Now, if he can duplicate the current success with Tua’s brother going forward? Yeah, that would change my opinion of what is going on in Bloomington.

Tuas brother is at Maryland. Wth are talking about? This was penix's first relatively healthy season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Filet-o-fish said:

IU had an 8 win season last season.

Penix went and played less than half the season last season due to shoulder injury. Peyton Ramsey was the qb for most of the season. Penix's freshman season was cut very very short to the same acl injury as this year. Be careful what you say....

They are legit.

I don’t necessarily disagree. But, winning 8 ain’t winning 10. 10 is a really high water Mark for a school like Indiana. Duplicate it, and that suggests the guy running shit has a plan.

50 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

You mean like bridgewater?

56 minutes ago, Sandman said:

If you're willing to change shit up on the fly, do it for more than just a money grab. I hate it when there's a fuck up during a game and it costs a team a victory, only to have the brass say "Yeah, that sucks but we're powerless to reverse that outcome or to fix anything.". Either be about getting things right all the time, or deal with the rules you already made.

Plus "Fuck Ohio State!" right?

Like you care about a money grab. Were you saying that when the B1G canceled all fall sports in the interest of public health while the Big XII, ACC, and SEC elected to play anyway? I recall seeing the fans of other conferences being universally critical of the B1G and PAC-12 for putting caution ahead of profit. So I don't believe you're being honest when you say you care about a money grab.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Their DC needs a good hard look from out new coach. 

It's Tom Allen's defense. He came in as DC for Kevin Wilson and immediately turned their defense around. 

The DC at IU is Kane Wommack. I couldn't say whether he's any better than Marcus Freeman at Cincinnati. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Plus "Fuck Ohio State!" right?

Like you care about a money grab. Were you saying that when the B1G canceled all fall sports in the interest of public health while the Big XII, ACC, and SEC elected to play anyway? I recall seeing the fans of other conferences being universally critical of the B1G and PAC-12 for putting caution ahead of profit. So I don't believe you're being honest when you say you care about a money grab.

I don't give a shit if it's ohio st, michigan or purdue. Don't change the rules at the end of the game, that's some weak shit. And yes, I thought it was dumb to cancel games as early as the B10 did, I thought they should've waited to see how bad it got before making a decision. 

7 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Posted this the other day - Kane Wommack is the real star there imo. 

Wommack is outstanding, but their offense is legit too. I posted this in another thread, but Allen's rise at IU reminds me a lot of when Mack finally got UNC rolling. However, I think the one key difference is Mack's legendary recruiting acumen. I'm not sure that Allen has that, but some of his assistants sure do.

16 hours ago, Filet-o-fish said:

Tom allen is at his dream Gig. He is From Indiana and is building a Monster, he and Pat Fitzgerald are dudes that are very happy with their situations. 

It will be interesting to see what monsters are really monsters and those that are the result of a unique season due to Covid.  Look at the top 25 rankings and there are teams listed who have never been there before. Especially this late in the season.  I’m willing to bet that Indiana doesn’t sniff the top 25 when things get back to normal beginning next year. 

Edited by EuroHorn

I was thinking Venerables and throwing a lot of money into his staff. But, it got me thinking about the problems that we had previously. If Herman knew how to build a solid coaching staff, and was a good leader, he would still be here. Allen would fail in the same way Herman did. He would put in a B team of assistants with no idea how to cheat like Saban and probably average on the Xs and Os and maybe not even with the savvy to build the program with guys like Carrington and a strong walk on program.

An NFL guy could build the team, but would have little knowledge of the college game. He may not emphasize recruiting but would be good on the Xs and Os.

Basically, to win in college, you need to cheat like Saban and build a support staff and be good with Xs ans Os. I can't name anyone off-hand that is a sure thing, but I would look at the Saban and Dabo coaching tree and see which of those guys could lead and would be willing to bend the rules. Even that would be risky though because of our admin. I think we would be more willing to play by SEC rules if Meyer told us it was necessary and less willing to play by the SEC rules if Pete Golding told us.

And no one fits the bill of having built two solid programs unless you stretch the meaning of solid and hire Patterson or someone similar. I think I would take a flyer on someone like Venerables or even Elko before hiring someone like Patterson. Seriously, I can't think of a good name just possibilities like Brian Daboll of the Buffalo Bills if an interview shows that he can lead.