Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

It's actually the perfect Florida Flex to have stupid Floridians laugh at attending UC-Berkeley.  A people that don't know that they've been conquered make for the best subjects.  Chef's kiss, Ron.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Texas will pass the same legislation 

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

oh yeah.  Texas will play follow-the-leader, right down the fucking drain. Y'all won't even win the race to the bottom.  You will come in 2nd place. 

Abbott is going to make it a requirement that no public school in Texas can teach about slavery, and none of them can mention that Liberace or Rock Hudson or Jim Nabors were gay.

And he'll ban Lonesome Dove from all schools, K-12 and universities, because it has mentions of slavery and prostitution.

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott is going to make it a requirement that no public school in Texas can teach about slavery, and none of them can mention that Liberace or Rock Hudson or Jim Nabors were gay.

And he'll ban Lonesome Dove from all schools, K-12 and universities, because it has mentions of slavery and prostitution.

I'm curious who drops this one first ..... no citizenship status, no admittance into public schools - pre k to college

DeSantis is already on his way to ruining Florida's public colleges, which isn't that hard to do already.  

But yeah Abbott's flex on higher ed in Texas has been more than odd.  It's really been more of Dan Patrick's crusade.  But Abbott went from last session being pretty friendly to UT in order to garner primary support among elite donors.  Made some good Regent appointments across numerous systems.  Chancellor Milliken was mainly content with him.  But then, in an effort to keep up with first Gollum and then Meatball, Abbott has even his own loyal Regents scratching their head over what the fuck he is up to.  

I've be very curious to know what DeSantis's Board of Governors (equivalent to our Regents) think of his bullshit.  There's is a weird setup though in that a large percentage of their Board didn't go to any of the system schools, very much unlike ours.  So maybe there's far less disgust since he's not tarnishing their degree and they don't have to answer questions every week from fellow alumni about what the fuck is going on.  Cause ours sure as shit are sick of it. 

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Cause ours sure as shit are sick of it. 

Well they're doing a great job letting hartzell and other successful MBA holding idiots fuck things up at UT. My mom has been working for UT since the Powers era and over the years our university leadership is running UT less like a research and educational institution of the highest class. There's a ridiculous blow out in administrative budget and administrative initiatives and other dumb shit some just-hired director thought of that do NOTHING to directly further UTs mission of research and education 

There is absolutely no blowback with anything he is doing or will do in Florida. The Rs have a grip of Florida that makes it more akin to Alabama them any purple state.

The dems there are less then a joke there and can’t find a freaking candidate to run against the Scott who stole billions from Medicare as case and point 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/florida-democrats-struggle-coalesce-candidate-sen-rick-scott-rcna83823

with the amount of retires that move, nafa implants, dems disorganization Florida will be deeper red and a test case for other states to follow.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Well they're doing a great job letting hartzell and other successful MBA holding idiots fuck things up at UT. My mom has been working for UT since the Powers era and over the years our university leadership is running UT less like a research and educational institution of the highest class. There's a ridiculous blow out in administrative budget and administrative initiatives and other dumb shit some just-hired director thought of that do NOTHING to directly further UTs mission of research and education 

Tell your mom I coined a phrase "Center & Initiative Fatigue" that has been adopted because yeah---I like the collaborative nature of getting LBJ to work with Nursing or McCombs & Human Ecology.  But at a certain point, it gets redundant for each of them to have co-directors and 4 staffers and events budgets all that other G&A shit that really only touches a handful of grad students and alums and does next to nothing for our undergraduate mission.  We still, despite all the political bullshit, run leaner and meaner than almost any school of our size and prestige.  But we gotta do better.  Powers took us on a positive tack, Fenves just didn't give a shit, Hartzell is doing a good job but is too nice of a guy to cut a bitch.  He wants everybody and anybody to be happy and have everything.  And that's just not possible.  I forget sometimes that he's already three years on the job.

Anyway, back to Meatball.  I bet we have somebody on here with some inside baseball on the Florida Board of Governors and/or their statewide primary education oversight group..  I'd be very curious to see what's the underbelly discussion over there.  There's actually a UT-Austin alumni on their Board of Governors that I'm guessing has the horrific honor of knowing a dozen Surly posters.  

I feel compelled to post, but I don't know what to write. I'm speechless for a moment at the mortifying spectacle of open fascism in the person of DeSantis doing things I never imagined would happen when I was a young man.

It doesn't matter so much that I don't think he has much of shot to be president. I mean look how right I was thinking the same thing about Donald Trump. In the case of DeSantis, it's a little man with little charisma competing for the American plurality of fascists who don't know they're fascists in a bid to move us toward authoritarianism.

And he's not being booed or laughed off the stage. And we're getting used to it.

I guess I'm just having a larger perspective moment.

I feel like Steve McQueen at the end of The Sand Pebbles (forgotten but great movie).

What happened? What the hell happened?

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I thought it was the libs who were ruining America by changing names of things like the master bedroom and the master/slave cylinder? I mean the forced servant cylinder.

Fuck around, find out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/business/disney-ron-desantis-florida.html

In March, Disney called Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida “anti-business” for his scorched-earth attempt to tighten oversight of the company’s theme park resort near Orlando. Last month, when Disney sued the governor and his allies for what it called “a targeted campaign of government retaliation,” the company made clear that $17 billion in planned investment in Walt Disney World was on the line.

“Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?” Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said on an earnings-related conference call with analysts last week.

On Thursday, Mr. Iger and Josh D’Amaro, Disney’s theme park and consumer products chairman, showed that they were not bluffing, pulling the plug on a nearly $1 billion office complex that was scheduled for construction in Orlando. It would have brought more than 2,000 jobs to the region, with $120,000 as the average salary, according to an estimate from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity.

The project, known as the Lake Nona Town Center, was supposed to involve the relocation of more than 1,000 employees from Southern California, including most of a department known as Imagineering, which works with Disney’s movie studios to develop theme park attractions. Most of the affected employees complained bitterly about having to move — some quit — but Disney largely held firm, partly because of a Florida tax credit that would have allowed the company to recoup as much as $570 million over 20 years for building and occupying the complex.

When he announced the project in 2021, Mr. D’Amaro cited “Florida’s business-friendly climate” as justification.

Mr. D’Amaro’s tone in an email to employees on Thursday was notably different. He cited “changing business conditions” as a reason for canceling the Lake Nona project. “I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business,” Mr. D’Amaro said in the memo. He noted that $17 billion was still earmarked for construction at Disney World over the next decade — growth that would create an estimated 13,000 jobs. “I hope we’re able to,” he said.

Spoiler

But the company’s battle with Mr. DeSantis and his allies in the Florida Legislature figured prominently into Disney’s decision to cancel the Lake Nona project, according to two people briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations. A spokeswoman for Mr. Iger said he was not available for an interview.

About 200 Disney employees already relocated to Florida from California. Mr. D’Amaro said in his note that the company would discuss options with them, “including the possibility of moving you back.” The Lake Nona project had initially been scheduled to open next year. Last July, Disney pushed back the move-in date to 2026, citing construction delays.

The Lake Nona campus, about 20 miles from Disney World near the Orlando International Airport, had been championed by Bob Chapek, who served as Disney’s chief executive from 2020 until he was fired last year. Mr. Iger, who came out of retirement to retake Disney’s reins, was much less enthusiastic about the project — even before the company became mired in its battle with Mr. DeSantis. As soon as he returned to Disney, Mr. Iger began telling lieutenants, for instance, that it made little sense to move Imagineering so far away from Disney’s movie studios. As he is fond of saying, “Creative teams need to be together.”

Disney is also in the midst of cutting $5.5 billion in costs as it seeks to improve profitability, pay down debt and restore its dividend.

Mr. DeSantis and Disney have been sparring for more than a year over a special tax district that encompasses Disney World. The fight started when the company criticized a Florida education law that opponents labeled “Don’t Say Gay” because it limits classroom instruction about gender identity and sexual orientation — angering Mr. DeSantis, who repeatedly vowed payback.

Since then, Florida legislators, at the urging of Mr. DeSantis, have targeted Disney — the state’s largest taxpayer — with a variety of hostile measures. In February, they ended Disney’s long-held ability to self-govern its 25,000-acre resort as if it were a county by giving Mr. DeSantis control over government services at the resort.

It was soon discovered that the previous, Disney-controlled board had approved development contracts that lock in a growth plan for the resort. An effort to void those agreements has since resulted in dueling lawsuits, with Disney suing Mr. DeSantis and his allies in federal court and the governor’s tax district appointees returning fire in state court.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

So Disney isn't f'ing around. Was about to post that. I feel bad for all the employees who either already moved or quit because they didn't want to move to Red State shitfest. Another Bob Chapek move that Iger had to dial back. Chapek was such a tool.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

So Disney isn't f'ing around. Was about to post that. I feel bad for all the employees who either already moved or quit because they didn't want to move to Red State shitfest. Another Bob Chapek move that Iger had to dial back. Chapek was such a tool.

You might think the Florida legislature will take note of this development, shuffle their feet, and start having muted discussions on how to best retract themselves from the position they are in, but they are beholden to whatever Ron wants, so fuck 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You might think the Florida legislature will take note of this development, shuffle their feet, and start having muted discussions on how to best retract themselves from the position they are in, but they are beholden to whatever Ron wants, so fuck 'em.

They already killed his ride inspection bill and said it was time to move on. I think most see Florida is about to get reamed in court. 

You gotta admire the balls on the Mouse.  Just when we'd thought they'd won and embarrassed Meatball...they went and pulled a Kaiser Soze.  

"You just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't.  The Mouse looks over the faces of his Floridians.  And then he showed this 'Men of Will' what will really was.  He lets the last DeSantis go.  The Mouse waits until his campaign is in the ground.  And he goes after the rest of Meatball's Mob.  He kills their kids.  He kills their wives.  He kills their parents.  And their parent's friends.  He burns down the houses they live and the buildings they work in.  He kills people that owe them money.  And like that, he's gone.  Underground.  Nobody's seen him since.  He becomes a myth.  A spook story that Republicans tell their kids at night, 'Don't rat on your Pop or Mikey Mouse will get you!'  I don't believe in the Mouse, but I'm afraid of him."  

We're gonna unpack Meatball's demise for decades.  He'll take his own life before the decade is out.  Book it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

At least they’ll pay for the impacted employees to move back. But yeah I know from first-hand experience a lot of employees quit rather than move to the shithole that is Florida. Many of them really loved working for Disney.

And yes Chapek was/is a gigantic tool.

14 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

At least they’ll pay for the impacted employees to move back. But yeah I know from first-hand experience a lot of employees quit rather than move to the shithole that is Florida. Many of them really loved working for Disney.

And yes Chapek was/is a gigantic tool.

I'm hoping they'll try to get those people back but given the layoffs, it's probably not in the cards. They lost a lot of talent and I don't blame those people one bit. F moving to that shitfest, especially if you're black, trans, non-binary, or gay. 

Oh and I loathe to bring up the asshole but Trump called this about a month ago. I can't wait to see him crowing about it soon. DeSantis is supposed to announce his presidential run next week. Nice way for Disney to poop on that in advance and give other something to immediately pounce on. 

Edited by mdmost

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I don't think this is correct.  Ron is a product of the Florida GQP.  He is a symptom, not the cause of the decay.   Sure he is throwing red meat to his base, but If you think a Florida congressman from Ft Myers gives a husky fart about Orlando, you're dreaming.   Orlando is a large city home to woke people with too much melanin.    Sure they want those liberal cities to fund their lifestyle and syphon funds to their communities.  But if their donors (corporate or otherwise) tell them to fuck Disney, they'll line up to give 'er a go...  no matter the consequence.  Why think about that, when you can hurt some people and get rich doin it!

Fuck Disney on this one too. Sure, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, but they announced this move knowing damn well the shit Florida was doing - targeting LGBTQ, cracking down on speech, etc., - and in the face of vocal and fierce opposition from their employees and fans. I certainly hope they end up losing a shit load of money due to this as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Fuck Disney on this one too. Sure, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, but they announced this move knowing damn well the shit Florida was doing - targeting LGBTQ, cracking down on speech, etc., - and in the face of vocal and fierce opposition from their employees and fans. I certainly hope they end up losing a shit load of money due to this as well.

Iger never would've made this move if he were CEO. This is all on Chapek, as is the mess that Disney is currently in. Chapek was a spineless turd. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Next move for Disney-  Triple all political advertising fees on all Disney owned media outlets... but then provide a 2/3 off coupon if your candidate submits a photo of him/her with rainbow mouse ears on holding a BLM sign.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

They already killed his ride inspection bill and said it was time to move on. I think most see Florida is about to get reamed in court. 

It's like Greg Abbott doing stupid shit here in Texas - Meatball is locked into this, because he's desperate for some national street cred in his Presidential run, and he doesn't care how many people, including politicians in his own party, that he fucks over.

• Hook 'Em 1

I suspect this is completely unrelated to DeSantis (and more along the lines of what it cost) but its going to get linked to him anyway:

https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-closing-walt-disney-worl-1850451229

Disney has made the decision to close its large-scale immersive experience Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, after only a year and a half in operation. Doors will close in September.

“Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser is one of our most creative projects ever and has been praised by our guests and recognized for setting a new bar for innovation and immersive entertainment,” the company said in a statement. “This premium, boutique experience gave us the opportunity to try new things on a smaller scale of 100 rooms, and as we prepare for its final voyage, we will take what we’ve learned to create future experiences that can reach more of our guests and fans.”

The experience will continue through September 30, with the final event beginning on September 28. Reportedly, Disney will be getting in touch with people who booked trips after that soon about rescheduling—and all reservations will paused until May 26, likely so those people can be accommodated and because the demand just instantly went up.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's like Greg Abbott doing stupid shit here in Texas - Meatball is locked into this, because he's desperate for some national street cred in his Presidential run, and he doesn't care how many people, including politicians in his own party, that he fucks over.

meatball is term limited 

dumb ass is gov for life 

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I suspect this is completely unrelated to DeSantis (and more along the lines of what it cost) but its going to get linked to him anyway:

https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-closing-walt-disney-worl-1850451229

This has nothing to do with DeSantis and everything to do with overpricing the experience. There's only so many rich Star Wars larpers they could reel in for a $6000 2-night stay. Another Chapek blunder. 

And Meatball is gonna Meatball. At least the libs got owned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The Florida GOP won’t be allowed to do anything that makes DeSantis look weak. If he wants to triple down on Disney, they will be required to go along. The FL govts main priority now is getting DeSantis elected President. Anything not related to that goal is unimportant.

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

meatball is term limited 

dumb ass is gov for life 

Abbot is 65 and starting to look it - no way he's able to run for President in '28, and there's plenty of under-50 Republicans who have more national name recognition than him.  And something about Harris County has him scared shitless (obviously they have the numbers to flip the state, but I mean the GOP's attacks on Harris County have really ramped up in a very targeted way). He maybe angling for a spot in an administration, but either way, whatever shine his star had, it is fading fast, and he's acting like some kind of Hollywood movie star who is past their prime and just trying to get one more starring role.  Which is fucking stupid, like I said - he could be doing things that would make a lot more Texans respect/like him and burnish his legacy, but he's doubling down on pleasing a small minority.

Meatball appears to be on a collision course that will either see Trump destroy him or he outlasts Trump, but is still damaged goods with the MAGA crowd.  The hardcore MAGA types seem to hold as much of a grudge as Trump does.

• Hook 'Em 1

i am the only one cracking up at DeSantis thinking that the use of "falling market cap" is gonna resonate at all with his base?  Those fucking dipshits think "falling market cap" is what happens when you grab a mesh hat off the kiosk at Publix and you accidentally drop it into the seafood cooler.  

His base only cares if libs were owned. Disney are groomers wanting to sexualize their children so it's fine whatever terrible thing happens to them all the while ignoring things DeSantis isn't doing for the state in his quest to be "The State Where Woke Goes To Die". 

• Hook 'Em 1