Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

On 2/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Lol, he isn't even gonna make it to the primary.

Or CPAC.   He announced he’s skipping.  it’s like he’s physically afraid of Trump fans. Weird.

Ok, not so weird.   I think he doesn’t want to be booed while speaking, because most of the nutters in the room have orange rings around their mouths.

79873DE7-739F-4F59-8825-453016973BEC.thumb.jpeg.cc77e9fa0a5baaaaa45064daf3a20cb5.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Or CPAC.   He announced he’s skipping.  it’s like he’s physically afraid of Trump fans. Weird.

Ok, not so weird.   I think he doesn’t want to be booed while speaking, because most of the nutters in the room have orange rings around their mouths.

79873DE7-739F-4F59-8825-453016973BEC.thumb.jpeg.cc77e9fa0a5baaaaa45064daf3a20cb5.jpeg

Someone needs to tell him to stick to Meatball Ron. Way better than DeSanctimonious. Feels like DeSanctimonious is a favorite of whoever handles the semi-coherent part of Donnie's Twitter machine. Meatball Ron is 200 proof Trump at it's best.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

I want DeSantis to start fighting back, but I don't think he knows how.  I want so badly to watch them both destroy their own movement from within.  

But here's the thing, Meatball.  We elected a Catholic, a Black Man, some French guys, and even a slightly retarded ogre named Trump.  And we'll soon elect a woman when my daughter (no pics) turns 35.  

But this country ain't electing an Italian even with your bona fides.  You look, sound, and carry yourself like a walking stereotype.  And that's not fair to judge you on.  But your prize mistake is you walked right into "Meatball Ron".  I mean, you literally served it up to him on an oversize pasta fork.  Even if you walked on stage in a tomato-stained wife-beater right now with meatball on the corner of your mouth, you wouldn't be any more fucked than you are now.  

The right isn't good at comedy.  But there is a room of guys writing lightly-bigoted material about you for Trump right now.  And he's gonna zing 'em at you like he's never killed before.  He's gonna fucking destroy you.  It'll probably cost him some Italian GOP votes in Pennsylvania, and the Tri-State area (NY/NJ/CT)...but those contests all come so fucking late, it won't matter.  

He could say DeSantis, means the patron saint of meatballs and somehow win more Catholic voters.  You poor fuck.

Someone needs to tell him to stick to Meatball Ron. Way better than DeSanctimonious. Feels like DeSanctimonious is a favorite of whoever handles the semi-coherent part of Donnie's Twitter machine. Meatball Ron is 200 proof Trump at it's best.  
Mega fucked. Ron will even piss off Italians because he doesn’t hit back and call Trump anti-Italian because of the meatball comment.   If he does try it a couple days too late - Trump will just say he’s acting woke. Mega fucked.

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Mega fucked. Ron will even piss off Italians because he doesn’t hit back and call Trump anti-Italian because of the meatball comment.   If he does try it a couple days too late - Trump will just say he’s acting woke. Mega fucked.

Italians can be pissed all they want, but:

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

But this country ain't electing an Italian even with your bona fides. 

I think we drew the line after we elected so many Presidents with Irish parents or grandparents/great-grandparents - they were responsible for everything from kicking off the genocide of Native Americans to killing Marilyn Monroe.  I think some fear what a President with Italian ancestors would do.

• Haha 1

A particularly fun part of the bill:

"770.13  Actual malice for public figures in defamation 160 cases.-A public figure does not need to show actual malice to 161 prevail in a defamation cause of action when the allegation does 162 not relate to the reason for his or her public status."

Sure, on one hand this is tinpot dictator shit and a serious threat to free speech. But on the other hand, this owns the libs so hard Ana is going to have to vote ten times for DeSantis in 24.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

A particularly fun part of the bill:

"770.13  Actual malice for public figures in defamation 160 cases.-A public figure does not need to show actual malice to 161 prevail in a defamation cause of action when the allegation does 162 not relate to the reason for his or her public status."

Sure, on one hand this is tinpot dictator ship and a serious threat to free speech. But on the other hand, this owns the libs so hard Ana is going to have to vote ten times for DeSantis in 24.

Three things:

(1) Fuck Meatball Ron.

(2) First Amendment lawyers will have a field day with this law if passed.

(3) Fuck Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Three things:

(1) Fuck Meatball Ron.

(2) First Amendment lawyers will have a field day with this law if passed.

(3) Fuck Florida.

1) Fuck Meatball Ron. Ewwww, no, gross.

(2) First Amendment lawyers will have a field day with this law if when passed. Outside of my lane, so I'll withhold comment.

(3) Fuck Florida. Should have turned the entire state into a National Park (with a carve out for the space program) a long time ago.

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I hope she’s got real dirt on meatball Ron, but that woman is kind of a loon.

Never heard of her before. But even if she is a loon, if the facts she is stating are true that’s pretty weird.

Much ado about nothing as he is toast without her investigation

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Never heard of her before. But even if she is a loon, if the facts she is stating are true that’s pretty weird.

Much ado about nothing as he is toast without her investigation

You've heard of her, even if you didn't hear her name.  She was running Florida's COVID dashboard at one point, and had clashed with officials.

Rebekah Jones - Wikipedia

They are going after professors/teachers, putting them under constant review and threat of being fired if somebody says something that Republicans don't like.  They are going to make their universities the laughingstock of the US/world, even as they wrote this with a straight face:

The mission alignment and strategic plan shall acknowledge that universities that have a national and international impact have the greatest capacity to promote the state's economic development through: new discoveries, patents, licenses, and technologies that generate state businesses of global  importance; research achievements through external grants and  contracts that are comparable to nationally recognized and  ranked universities; the creation of a resource rich academic environment that attracts high-technology business and venture capital to the state; and this generation's finest minds  focusing on solving the state's economic, social, environmental,  and legal problems in the areas of life sciences, water,  sustainability, energy, and health care. A nationally recognized and ranked university that has a global perspective and impact  shall be afforded the opportunity to enable and protect the  university's competitiveness on the global stage in fair competition with other institutions of other states in the  highest Carnegie Classification.

Apparently they want some kind of stack ranking for the universities and maybe even individual degrees, I guess they'll start shutting down the ones they don't like.

The Board of Governors shall develop a strategic plan specifying goals and objectives for the State University System and each constituent university, including each university's contribution to overall system goals and objectives. The strategic plan must: 1. Include performance metrics and standards common for all institutions and metrics and standards unique to institutions depending on institutional core missions, including, but not limited to, student admission requirements, the education for citizenship of the constitutional republic,  retention, graduation, percentage of graduates who have attained employment, percentage of graduates enrolled in continued education, licensure passage, industry certification attainment as specified in s. 445.004(4)(h), average wages of employed graduates, average cost per graduate, excess hours, student loan burden and default rates, faculty awards, total annual research expenditures, patents, licenses and royalties, intellectual property, startup companies, annual giving, endowments, and well-known, highly respected national rankings for institutional  and program achievements.

Beginning in the 2022-2023 academic year, the Board of Governors shall adopt the criteria to determine value for and prioritization of degree credentials and degree programs established by the Credentials Review  Committee under s. 445.004 for designating high-demand programs of emphasis. The Board of Governors must review designated  programs of emphasis, at a minimum, every 3 years to ensure alignment with the prioritization of degree credentials and  degree programs identified by the Credentials Review Committee.

Ehh, I'm not going on, it's fucking nuts how much they are planning on micro-managing Florida universities. DeSantis might just find himself butting heads with a lot of very wealthy alumni who enjoy having their names on campus buildings and going to football games, etc.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Ana is searching for new homes in the promised land of Florida right now.

wow, a college cannot support programs or campus activities of equity, diversity, or inclusion?  that's a fairly bold and naked concept that can only really have appeal to the poe it ups of the world.  that is pretty wild.  florida, like texas, is allowing its state to be culturally destroyed in order to advance their governors' hair-brained political ambitions and need to outflank donald fucking trump.

what a fucking world.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

wow, a college cannot support programs or campus activities of equity, diversity, or inclusion?  that's a fairly bold and naked concept that can only really have appeal to the poe it ups of the world.  that is pretty wild.  florida, like texas, is allowing its state to be culturally destroyed in order to advance their governors' hair-brained political ambitions and need to outflank donald fucking trump.

what a fucking world.

I feel like we're all Mongo
29e32631-a2e8-4f30-9457-5b5657839ba2_tex

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

what a fucking world.

This is absolutely all an attempt to win the Republican primary, yet I would argue Ron is further away from the nomination than he was 6 months ago.  Dude's gonna destroy his state and Trump won't even have to break a sweat to take him down.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is absolutely all an attempt to win the Republican primary, yet I would argue Ron is further away from the nomination than he was 6 months ago.  Dude's gonna destroy his state and Trump won't even have to break a sweat to take him down.

i think he may have already done it based on ron's whimpering and lack of counterpunch after "meatball ron."  he's scared shitless of him.  considering he could probably be of some significant assistance to the many prosecutions/investigations into trump, it is amazing what a little sniveling bitch he is.

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

i think he may have already done it based on ron's whimpering and lack of counterpunch after "meatball ron."  he's scared shitless of him.  considering he could probably be of some significant assistance to the many prosecutions/investigations into trump, it is amazing what a little sniveling bitch he is.

and yet there are plenty of posters on this very site who think he is the future of the party. part of me hopes that's true - at least it might bring about its final collapse

This will slowly drive out the good to great professor who actually teach and do great research to other states where they don’t have to deal with this shit. It will be gradual at first and dumb magas will take over. Thus will drive the smarter students (graduate and phd) out of state and they won’t likely be back. Gonna set the shit UF/UM/UCF/USF 20-30 years into the past and degree will be worthless. 
The president has to hire every faculty for a university with 50k students seems like Great GOP idea, he will be glorified HR person.
this will be felt in 15-20 years down the road.

UT or Texas your next with this type of LAW, you know it’s coming 

Edited by Gengs1
  • Rage+1 1

Over a year ago several of us mentioned that affirmative action and Title IX were on the table either overtly or covertly to be overturned and that the movement (behind the scenes) was to create even more gaps between the privileged and the out groups with religious and cultural  beliefs about gender and race the undercurrent. Sort of a Southern White Male shall rise again strategy (perhaps appealing for the "lower" tiers of society the way the wealthy planters viewed them) and that has the extreme zealots pushing for an American Taliban educational system. If that seems hyperbolic, think about the faculty that stand on the sidelines figuring this won't affect them but don't have the foresight to see that it eventually will. The biologists who will need to eschew anything other than creationism, the technology that somehow is deemed suspect unless it can be used against out groups for surveillance and control. The history that disappears and which was already underappreciated because it was only now coming to light due to the work of those who searched for the unsung and overlooked citizens of our country. We were told Roe v. Wade was not in danger and nothing would happen. Yeah, that's in the rearview mirror now. They're still tidying up some loose ends with the pharma and interstate criminal charges, but mostly have moved on to the next phase and they've got the higher ed and K-12 strategies fully in focus now. They will really get things moving after school lets out and most folks eyes are turned elsewhere.

The hiring w/o faculty input is no surprise. Can keep hiring the lowest denominator to drive the wage down, right? Many parents wouldn't care as long as the kid gets the piece of paper because they have the attitude of the trope: 'those that can't do, teach,' which is one of the stupidest phrases that they've stupidly decided means that the faculty aren't fit for anything else. Weird flex to have regarding the people who have written, discovered, cured, and so on but you know it's the simulation we're in...

Sorry for double post, just had to look something up. Did it fit UF.

They currently have 2,909 personnel who are considered Faculty.

Let’s say it has 90% faculty retention rate (pulling it out of my ass), that would mean the president needs to hire 290 faculty every year. I know tenured professors don’t leave but they younger ones do for better jobs