Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is absolutely all an attempt to win the Republican primary, yet I would argue Ron is further away from the nomination than he was 6 months ago.  Dude's gonna destroy his state and Trump won't even have to break a sweat to take him down.

yep.  all he needed to do was shut his mouth and be not trump.

nobody wanted desantis because of his policy positions.  now we just have two nutjobs but desantis has a much smaller national throw, so he's cooked.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:03 AM, wildcat09 said:

A particularly fun part of the bill:

"770.13  Actual malice for public figures in defamation 160 cases.-A public figure does not need to show actual malice to 161 prevail in a defamation cause of action when the allegation does 162 not relate to the reason for his or her public status."

Sure, on one hand this is tinpot dictator shit and a serious threat to free speech. But on the other hand, this owns the libs so hard Ana is going to have to vote ten times for DeSantis in 24.

That law has no chance of surviving judicial review, if it ever was passed 

50 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yep.  all he needed to do was shut his mouth and be not trump.

nobody wanted desantis because of his policy positions.  now we just have two nutjobs but desantis has a much smaller national throw, so he's cooked.

DeSantis is trying so hard to be a tough fascist, but he's got such cuck energy he's got no real shot at the presidency. Given all of the freaks moving to Florida however, he'll still be able to turn Florida into a little GOP dictatorship.  

5 hours ago, sidis said:

wow, a college cannot support programs or campus activities of equity, diversity, or inclusion?  that's a fairly bold and naked concept that can only really have appeal to the poe it ups of the world.  that is pretty wild.  florida, like texas, is allowing its state to be culturally destroyed in order to advance their governors' hair-brained political ambitions and need to outflank donald fucking trump.

what a fucking world.

5 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is absolutely all an attempt to win the Republican primary, yet I would argue Ron is further away from the nomination than he was 6 months ago.  Dude's gonna destroy his state and Trump won't even have to break a sweat to take him down.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

DeSantis is trying so hard to be a tough fascist, but he's got such cuck energy he's got no real shot at the presidency. Given all of the freaks moving to Florida however, he'll still be able to turn Florida into a little GOP dictatorship.  

A man, lawyer no less, who talks about protecting the First Amendment, and he's going to dictate what professors can say to their students, and what classes can and cannot be taught.

And he's toast.  He's now given a lot of rich alumni of various Florida schools a reason to support Trump in the Florida primary, and they will most likely be going after legislators as well in their next elections.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

A man, lawyer no less, who talks about protecting the First Amendment, and he's going to dictate what professors can say to their students, and what classes can and cannot be taught.

And he's toast.  He's now given a lot of rich alumni of various Florida schools a reason to support Trump in the Florida primary, and they will most likely be going after legislators as well in their next elections.  

Why? Why do you think those donors would care about those “meaningless” libtard departments that don’t “do” anything (i.e. the equivalent of the oft trotted out underwater basketweaving example). 
Do some large money donors care about the big picture or long term trajectory of higher ed? I’m sure they’re out there. But I suspect many more don’t view it the way you think they do. There are numerous donors that seem to reject quite a bit of what their alma maters have offered in terms of broadening perspectives and critical thinking skills and have turned into angry older men yelling about how young people today are weak betas who don’t have what it takes to succeed. 
These outraged “alphas”  pay little attention to accreditation or retention or grade inflation or the sifting and winnowing of knowledge, ideas, and perspectives. 
I suspect to many of them, those classes have no value in their eyes. Why would they when they are mostly about and taught by people who are NOT supposed to be the powerful and leaders in our society?

Apologies; have had that extra glass of cab tonight and am a little fiesty. 

• Hook 'Em 6

36 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Why? Why do you think those donors would care about those “meaningless” libtard departments that don’t “do” anything (i.e. the equivalent of the oft trotted out underwater basketweaving example). 

Those donors do care about the reputation of their universities, and it's not simply about doing away with a few things/departments/majors (which most don't care about - look at aggy and their big-ass LBGTQ book collection), it's about fucking up entire universities and making their profs, admin, etc. only accountable to DeSantis and his appointees.  Not only will it make them a laughingstock (something those folks care about), but it will cause other problems - kind of hard to recruit minorities when you are dictating to them that their history can only be taught a certain way, and it has to be approved by a bunch of old white dudes.  As one sportswriter pointed out, a decent amount of student athletes that are recruited by various Florida schools, including out-of-state, are minorities and this stuff will be used against those schools.  He didn't claim DeSantis was a racist, just pointing out the optics.

And something else to consider - the stuff that the legislation is banning was not causing those schools to lose their accreditation, it wasn't hurting their recruiting efforts both academically and in athletics. Some 5-star recruit didn't turn down a scholarship because a Florida school had some classes that taught about the evils of slavery or had some classes about gay and lesbian people.  They weren't having problems keeping kids in state and attending those schools because some professor said something online or wrote a book that DeSantis doesn't like.

It's like Bathroom Dan here in Texas - it's looking for a problem that didn't exist, and it's trying to be cruel to certain types of students and people.  It's putting all of those schools on the defensive, and it's creating additional work for them, additional costs for the taxpayers, and it's going to give plenty of parents pause when they are looking at schools with their kids.  Why would they want their kid to go to a school that wants to downplay certain aspects of their history?

It's a bunch of fucking Republican snowflakes who are offended if things aren't taught exactly the way they want them taught.

And it's a governor who is trying to fuck with these schools to boost his poll numbers, and he didn't even go to a Florida university - he's a Yale and Harvard grad.

• Hook 'Em 3

I do not wholly disagree with your points @atomheartbevo and I do agree that no one wishes to be associated with the butt of a joke, etc. However, my stance is that the tipping point has been reached (w/respect to higher ed) and the descent has begun. Yes, DeSantis is using it as a performative stunt and I know he is a Yale/Harvard grad but this is who he is and I've seen nothing he's done to indicate he will not continue to do so. Just as with Rv.W, other states are going to follow suit. With what(?), 23 states under GOP control, that seems (to me) to change the landscape enough to affect all sorts of things does it not?

Sure, money (as in football money) talks and affects things too because that is big business and that is somewhat at the root of all of this (a tentacle of fascism beneficial to the oligarchs is not only the break-up of the US, but all of the smaller schisms that happen prior to that--the destruction of public services and infrastructures that can be privatized and monetized) but the country is in the legal phase of authoritarianism/fascism/whatever you want to call it. Laws against protesting, electors, out groups, and so on. Laws that are vague enough that in GOP dominant states can pretty much visit cruelty on those that are not in the protected wealthy class.

I know this is the DeSantis thread, but that MTG is getting a nationwide discussion regarding a break-up is and should be alarming but they've (and 'they' is a big umbrella) normalized it.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's a bunch of fucking Republican snowflakes who are offended if things aren't taught exactly the way they want them taught.

It's more than that and people like DeSantis are going to keep using that as that snowball rolling down the hill grows. Laws for thee and not for me and whatnot.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:13 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

the protected wealthy class

You made some solid points. But you left off the protected Christian class ... who are never challenged by any media/educational/political institution in the US.

That's why theocracy is on the march in America. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know it will never happen, but Disney should close WDW and keep it closed until DeSantis is forced to resign. We're talking billions upon billions of dollars lost to the Florida economy. They have the power to do that, but they won't. I get why, but the idiots who vote in Florida won't do anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I know it will never happen, but Disney should close WDW and keep it closed until DeSantis is forced to resign. We're talking billions upon billions of dollars lost to the Florida economy. They have the power to do that, but they won't. I get why, but the idiots who vote in Florida won't do anything. 

for those of us that don't shit about shit wrt to Disney and Florida, what effect does this actually have? I'm assuming Disney will sue? Or is this all posturing once again from the gqp?

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

24 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

for those of us that don't shit about shit wrt to Disney and Florida, what effect does this actually have? I'm assuming Disney will sue? Or is this all posturing once again from the gqp?

It's going to kill off a lot of future Disney expansion in the area, if not completely kill it off.  They have plenty of short, medium, and long-term plans to upgrade the park and bring in more people, and there's no sense in doing that if DeSantis's appointees can fuck with them.

And given that DeSantis's appointees can not only strike down a lot of plans they may have, but can fuck around, approve some, then cancel them later on, there's no point in going through with any major plans.

Oh, and DeSantis's appointees can probably fuck with the current WDW quite a bit, from striking down gay pride parades/events to forcing them into complying with brand new regulations they dream up.

DeSantis needs a bogeyman in his battle with Trump and Disney is it.  Whether Disney deserves it or not, doesn't matter, as the end result will be the same - a lot of curtailed investment.

Abbott hasn't quite found his bogeyman yet, but he's working on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's going to kill off a lot of future Disney expansion in the area, if not completely kill it off.  They have plenty of short, medium, and long-term plans to upgrade the park and bring in more people, and there's no sense in doing that if DeSantis's appointees can fuck with them.

And given that DeSantis's appointees can not only strike down a lot of plans they may have, but can fuck around, approve some, then cancel them later on, there's no point in going through with any major plans.

Oh, and DeSantis's appointees can probably fuck with the current WDW quite a bit, from striking down gay pride parades/events to forcing them into complying with brand new regulations they dream up.

DeSantis needs a bogeyman in his battle with Trump and Disney is it.  Whether Disney deserves it or not, doesn't matter, as the end result will be the same - a lot of curtailed investment.

first, thank you for the explanation. second, are you fucking serious? what a fucking idiot. I mean holy shit. I hope he gets the nomination. he might be somehow dumber than dotard.

I doubt it does much other than make Disney have to be more upfront about their plans. Universal Orlando lives under the same rules and is doing just fine. They're about to add a 3rd park, Epic Universe. The silly thing about all this is Disney never planned on using any of the power it had for the district like a nuclear reactor or an airport. They don't need to. What it does do is allow the surrounding areas to not be burdened by the upkeep of the area. That all fell on Reddy Creek. The tax rate will remain the same. Disney will keep expanding when the environment is right economically for them. They might have to jump through more hoops from these appointed shitheads but it's not going to be simple to just untangle a 50+ year district that's self-sustaining. Disney won't sue because it hasn't affected them yet. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

first, thank you for the explanation. second, are you fucking serious? what a fucking idiot. I mean holy shit. I hope he gets the nomination. he might be somehow dumber than dotard.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

They might have to jump through more hoops from these appointed shitheads but it's not going to be simple to just untangle a 50+ year district that's self-sustaining. Disney won't sue because it hasn't affected them yet. 

It will be a lot more hoops, and I guarantee you that his appointees were picked with the intention of fucking with Disney so he gets "victories" in his fight against "woke" Disney.  This is all about cancelling all the things that WDW does that DeSantis's target audience doesn't like.

DeSantis is publicizing the hell out of this, no way this is just him putting in appointees and leaving it at that.

I'm not saying that his appointees would do something like try to ban WDW from completely removing the Song of the South stuff to replace it with Princess and the Frog imagery, but I expect them to do all kinds of things to fuck with WDW, because he needs victories.  One of the articles mentioned that WDW may have to run all of their parades past this board, among other things.  He can say things like "we stopped gay pride parades at Disney World from brainwashing the minds of our children".

I know the other resorts are expanding and doing their things, but his people are most likely going to make it very hard for WDW to do new things.

edit: I would love to be wrong mdmost, because we have a trip planned there next year, but given how much publicity DeSantis is giving this, I think he wants some victories against "woke" Disney.  He's headhunting.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 2/13/2023 at 10:26 AM, YGIFS said:

yeah, I said this on some other threads and I'm sure many of y'all have noticed...he does have a markedly thinner appearance lately and not in a healthy way.  He's still overweight but the fat is kinda "hanging" off his big frame now instead of being packed in like jell-o.  He could still be 300 pounds and call him Meatball Ronny on the debate stage and his base would lap it up because "Trump's not fat, he's just got a Commanding Build!"  Meanwhile, DeSantis is probably 5'9" and 200 pounds, overweight but not obese.  But he just does not carry his weight well, and dresses like he was shopping with Bobby Hill in the Husky section at Gymboree.  

On 2/13/2023 at 10:36 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Yet.

5'9" and 200 is borderline obese.  205 puts him over the line.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I’ve said this before. Republican administrations are much more similar to the governments described in Ayn Rand’s novels than Democratic ones are. And you can see that because what you’re basically suggesting is that Atlas should shrug. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It will be a lot more hoops, and I guarantee you that his appointees were picked with the intention of fucking with Disney so he gets "victories" in his fight against "woke" Disney.  This is all about cancelling all the things that WDW does that DeSantis's target audience doesn't like.

DeSantis is publicizing the hell out of this, no way this is just him putting in appointees and leaving it at that.

I'm not saying that his appointees would do something like try to ban WDW from completely removing the Song of the South stuff to replace it with Princess and the Frog imagery, but I expect them to do all kinds of things to fuck with WDW, because he needs victories.  One of the articles mentioned that WDW may have to run all of their parades past this board, among other things.  He can say things like "we stopped gay pride parades at Disney World from brainwashing the minds of our children".

I know the other resorts are expanding and doing their things, but his people are most likely going to make it very hard for WDW to do new things.

edit: I would love to be wrong mdmost, because we have a trip planned there next year, but given how much publicity DeSantis is giving this, I think he wants some victories against "woke" Disney.  He's headhunting.

Oh, I'm sure he'll have them do some stupid stuff that's red meat for the MAGAs but I highly doubt they stand in the way of something that will make the state more money. I find this all fairly amusing because it's so incredibly hypocritical of "small government conservatives". He's directly affecting the largest business in Florida for political purposes. At some point, he'll reach too far and it will bite him. But again, the left is all about cancel culture and hurting businesses that don't agree with them. I'll add this, I hate Trump but I cannot wait till he starts taking the flamethrower to Kinky Boots. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh, I'm sure he'll have them do some stupid stuff that's red meat for the MAGAs but I highly doubt they stand in the way of something that will make the state more money.

It's about winning MAGA points, not whether it's good business or not for Florida.

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I find this all fairly amusing because it's so incredibly hypocritical of "small government conservatives". He's directly affecting the largest business in Florida for political purposes. At some point, he'll reach too far and it will bite him.

Going after Florida universities could bite him, if things go far enough and it affects standings, athletics, etc. and the alumni get pissed.

From the article @Mo Horn posted, I was surprised a few spoke out against it.

While the move was celebrated by conservative media, several of DeSantis’ would-be GOP rivals have been critical. Former Vice President Mike Pence said the conflict with Disney was “beyond the scope of what I as a conservative, limited government Republican would be prepared to do.” And New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu said penalizing businesses for political speech set “the worst precedent in the world.”

DeSantis has shrugged off such criticism. Monday’s bill signing event turned into a lengthy takedown of Disney that extended beyond its foray in Florida’s legislative activity. DeSantis featured speakers who assailed the company’s vaccine and mask policies, its treatment of firefighters and its more recent entertainment offerings.

I really think his appointees are going to crack down on stuff like gay pride events, etc.  He picked this fight for a reason.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's about winning MAGA points, not whether it's good business or not for Florida.

Going after Florida universities could bite him, if things go far enough and it affects standings, athletics, etc. and the alumni get pissed.

From the article @Mo Horn posted, I was surprised a few spoke out against it.

I really think his appointees are going to crack down on stuff like gay pride events, etc.  He picked this fight for a reason.

Eh, most of stuff like gay pride is merchandising though. Gay Days were always unofficial. That doesn't go through Reddy Creek. Sure, they could stop a gay pride parade during pride month but that's about the limit to what they can do. They can't force Disney to not stock pride items. I guess we'll find out more but I think he actually created himself a bigger headache in the long run. There's a reason this district has been there for 50+ years. The thing he doesn't get is Disney gets tons of coverage so his cronies will have every move they make scrutinized. I would imagine if this committee tries to screw with day to day operations, that's when Disney goes to court. I chuckled when I read he "wanted to return Disney to what Walt envisioned". Yeah, Walt envisioned having his own district that Disney could control. That's why he set it up that way before he died. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What's happening in Florida is exactly what fascism looks like in GQP America.  And zero corporations will "shrug," Ayn Rand style (as WhatTheBuck noted).

When push comes to shove and profit conflicts with human rights, the corporations will take the profits ... and let someone else deal with human rights.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Eh, most of stuff like gay pride is merchandising though. Gay Days were always unofficial. That doesn't go through Reddy Creek. Sure, they could stop a gay pride parade during pride month but that's about the limit to what they can do. They can't force Disney to not stock pride items. I guess we'll find out more but I think he actually created himself a bigger headache in the long run. There's a reason this district has been there for 50+ years.

This is about scoring points over the next 12 months and he doesn't care if it ends up in the courts because by the time anything happens in the courts, 2024's primaries will be long gone.

I do think he (well his proxies) will try and attack Disney over anything having to do with LGBTQ+, CRT, etc..  They spoke out against him last year and he needs his revenge and to look powerful.  Plus, Trump is out there talking about him, and he needs to be able to say "Trump just whines about stuff, I actually follow through, and walk the walk."

If he was not running for the Presidency, none of this would be happening.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

City of Houston

Harris County 

UT and AM university systems 

Wonder if those West Texas fracking billionaires that hate UT/A&M/Central and East Texas are backing Abbot now that their boy Huffines is not running against him.  Or if they are threatening to back somebody else in the primaries next year.

They knew Huffines wouldn't win, but their money scared Abbott and pulled him hard right, and I don't see them walking away from politics after the gubernatorial primaries.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wonder if those West Texas fracking billionaires that hate UT/A&M/Central and East Texas are backing Abbot now that their boy Huffines is not running against him.  Or if they are threatening to back somebody else in the primaries next year.

They knew Huffines wouldn't win, but their money scared Abbott and pulled him hard right, and I don't see them walking away from politics after the gubernatorial primaries.

All they want is to pay zero taxes. They don’t give a fuck about anything or anyone else 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think he’ll use the “woke” corporations that have moved to Texas and don’t sufficiently idolize guns and oil, until something or someone better comes along. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

The way desantis gloated and grandstanded about this whole deal. Very petty and feeble minded, it’s a bad look 

Yes, but it costs him nothing, and if Disney gets it struck down in the courts or changed, he gets to play the martyr card and claim that he has to be President to stop Woke Disney World, and it plays to the fears of his base, even if they don't exactly know why.  

Those people have been gaslighted/manipulated and preyed upon for the better part of a decade, and they want to believe that he's defending them against "woke" Disney.  They want to believe that the reason why they are upset at Disney over things like replacing/rebranding Splash Mountain from 'Song of the South' to something from 'The Princess and then Frog' is not because 'Song of the South' is racist and that branding/etc. should have been gone a long time ago, but because it's "woke" even if they can't truly define what "woke" is.  

A part of me wants to feel sorry for a lot of these people, because holy shit have they been manipulated and preyed upon by the GOP, to the point where a decent chunk believe their kids are somehow magically being groomed just for being near a gay person, or that CRT means they will somehow be replaced (literally replaced I guess).  These poor people probably don't know what the fuck to think at this point, and it's just easier to put Tuck or Hannity on and then they'll feel smart and informed.

But then it's like, these people have access to the same information the rest of us do, and at some level or point, they are choosing to let themselves be taken in by carnival barkers with TV shows or YouTube channels.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck Desantis and Fuck Florida.

"Medical licensing officials in multiple states are scrambling to stop nurses with fraudulent academic credentials from caring for patients, after three Florida schools were accused of selling thousands of bogus diplomas."

https://apnews.com/article/nurses-bogus-diplomas-florida-aba1bcdaaf00f57d5a7690cc6fac1740

• Haha 1