Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

So what's Ron's play?

Attack Donald, potentially lose the crazy right portion of the party (which is significant).

Don't attack Donald, and just get clowned over and over and look like a schlub.

I mean, he has to go after Donald and he may still win the nomination. But I gotta think there are quite a few people that will only vote for Trump and stay home in the lection if he isn't on the ballot, right?

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Yep.  Ron is in a weird spot.  He’s only in his mid 40’s.  In a typical America, he’d have 20 more years to build his brand.  But his brand may never get better than it is right now.  He’s not only having to deal with the time conundrum, but possibly facing an incumbent president, and a clinically insane primary opponent in Trump.  

if he’s the depressingly pragmatic cat I think he is, he’ll hang back until 2028.  But he’s getting so much damn free media, he’ll be old news by then.  You can tell he wants to clash with Trump, he just doesn’t know how yet.  

somebody besides the two of them is going to have to officially light the fuse.  Maybe us?

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Mansoor Adayfi, a Yemeni citizen who was held for 14 years on the US Naval base in Cuba, told The Independent in an extraordinary interview that he was brutally force-fed by camp staff during a hunger strike in 2006, and that Mr DeSantis was present for at least one of those sessions

Maybe it was a snak pak and he couldn’t fathom not wanting it

• Drool 1

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this is where I am. he loses too much going after drumpf directly. best play is to bide his time. but really, where is the fun in that?

This may be right. It's 11 months until Iowa. That's a long time for something to potentially happen to Trump. But it's also a long time for Trump to drag his name through the mud.

I also get the feeling that DeSantis has a bit of a short fuse. You've seen him snap at the press. There's the video of him yelling at kids about "mask theater." I just can't see him avoiding conflict with Trump for months on end. Eventually a reporter is going to ask him for a response to the latest thing and DeSantis is going to light into him.

Dude named Ron who got married at Disney and eats pudding with fingers is a favorite for the presidential nomination. SMDH.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So what's Ron's play?

Attack Donald, potentially lose the crazy right portion of the party (which is significant).

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Don't attack Donald, and just get clowned over and over and look like a schlub.

I mean, he has to go after Donald and he may still win the nomination. But I gotta think there are quite a few people that will only vote for Trump and stay home in the lection if he isn't on the ballot, right?

DeSantis is in a tough spot as you and @YGIFS mentioned, because he's young, but his time as governor will be coming to an end in a few years, and it's easier to run while in an office rather than out,  because right now he's getting legislation pushed through that pleases MAGA.  Plus, DeSantis has to cash on his mindshare of the GOP in terms of his going after the liberals and his "success" with things like COVID stuff.  His ability to prove that he can get MAGA stuff into place ends when he's out of the Governor's mansion.

But because he is in the mix, Trump has to destroy him early, and in the process if DeSantis does nothing, he will A) look weak, and B) will spend a year where Trump trashes the absolute shit out of him, to the point where some Republicans will believe what Trump has been saying and would not vote for DeSantis if he wins the nomination.

We know from voting records that there was a decent chunk of people who weren't enthusiastic voters (sporadic voters) who showed up for Trump in 2016 and 2020, who weren't there for the GOP in 2008 and 2012, and it's safe to say that if Trump loses the nomination they will be pissed at the GOP and will stay home.  Hell, Trump has been pushing that idea openly, that he better be the nominee or his folks look elsewhere.  So that's an issue.

DeSantis needs Trump out of the picture like right now.  Another year of Trump trashing DeSantis will not do DeSantis or the GOP favors.  And if Trump loses to DeSantis, whom he believes owes Trump for everything he has, Trump will go third party, both out of revenge against somebody who "owes" him and is disloyal, but also a third party keeps the grift going for Trump.

And I don't know how the GOP can handle Trump going third party, because trying to get between Trump and all of that sweet, sweet third-party MAGA money that will all be funneled through Trump and his properties is nigh impossible.

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I assume our next constitutional crisis will be Trump fleeing arrest in New York or Georgia to Florida and Desantis not extraditing him.

Someone with better photoshop skills than me will need to add Trump and Meatball Ron's faces to this.

ap17334576594828-c1849dcd6ab390b12bc3a56

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

In the case of desantis refusing extradition, wouldn’t the US Marshall’s, backed by about 200 federal agents armed to the teeth, just come and buscar the s.o.b.  And force the SS detail to give him up or face arrest as well.

keep going, I'm almost there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

I assume our next constitutional crisis will be Trump fleeing arrest in New York or Georgia to Florida and Desantis not extraditing him.

DeSantis:  "My hands are tied, this has to do with things that Trump did in New York and Georgia and D.C. or relating to stuff he allegedly took from those places, but by God, if you elect me President, I will pardon Donald Trump."

MAGA: YAY!

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

DeSantis:  "My hands are tied, this has to do with things that Trump did in New York and Georgia and D.C. or relating to stuff he allegedly took from those places, but by God, if you elect me President, I will pardon Donald Trump."

MAGA: YAY!

They are dumb enough to think the state charges are pardonable, so you may be on to something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As others have mentioned that is a weird story how DeSantis has changed his own pronunciation of his name in the last few years. As in since he’s become governor.

Speculation is that he is going with the pronunciation that most people believe it is.  Da-Santis as opposed to the correct Dee-Santis.  Admittedly Dee Santis sounds weaker especially in his voice.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

In the Movie section there has been a thread discussing the latest Guy Ritchie movie--Operation Fortune. In some ways, the entire GOP is like a Ritchie movie turned sideways and with gangsters, con artists, and enforcers. I keep waiting for some angry father to slam Pedo Matt's face with a car door or for the rank and file to decide they're sick of being told what to do by Wotcher Jim Jordan and wrap him face down in a urinal by his crooked tie.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How can you track a girl’s menstrual cycle if she’s not allowed to talk about it?

I know you're being half-sarcastic and half-serious.  But here's the fully-sad part, there's a room of appointed officials in Florida literally discussing this conundrum.  Not talking about improving education, keeping kids safe, or the learned benefits of a well-rounded curricula.  Nope, they're meeting to figure out the oxymoron of tracking a teenage girl's menstrual cycle for athletics while at the same time insisting she doesn't broadcast it.  

How does one do it?  You guessed it.  A proprietary, "secure" app for your daughter's mobile device called "DeSantis DeSanitary Napkin."  Your daughter can't discuss it verbally, but she can track her period and have it automatically uploaded to the state of Florida/whatever the UIL is in Florida.  Once uploaded and approved, she will be eligible for any and all high school and college athletics.  "What if somebody hacks the database and uses that information for nefarious purposes, you say?"  Don't worry, we've got Doug!  Doug is the Florida IT pro who makes $48,000 a year and has recently overcome his meth addiction.  Or so we hope.  This database couldn't possibly be breached with Doug at the helm / 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How can you track a girl’s menstrual cycle if she’s not allowed to talk about it?

Thats easy.  In a small government utopia, we chip them, put them in menstruation concentration camps, and sterilize the ones with undesirable traits. 

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I know you're being half-sarcastic and half-serious.  But here's the fully-sad part, there's a room of appointed officials in Florida literally discussing this conundrum.  Not talking about improving education, keeping kids safe, or the learned benefits of a well-rounded curricula.  Nope, they're meeting to figure out the oxymoron of tracking a teenage girl's menstrual cycle for athletics while at the same time insisting she doesn't broadcast it.  

How does one do it?  You guessed it.  A proprietary, "secure" app for your daughter's mobile device called "DeSantis DeSanitary Napkin."  Your daughter can't discuss it verbally, but she can track her period and have it automatically uploaded to the state of Florida/whatever the UIL is in Florida.  Once uploaded and approved, she will be eligible for any and all high school and college athletics.  "What if somebody hacks the database and uses that information for nefarious purposes, you say?"  Don't worry, we've got Doug!  Doug is the Florida IT pro who makes $48,000 a year and has recently overcome his meth addiction.  Or so we hope.  This database couldn't possibly be breached with Doug at the helm / 

40 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Thats easy.  In a small government utopia, we chip them, put them in menstruation concentration camps, and sterilize the ones with undesirable traits. 

Or they could appoint an all male staff to “track” this stuff in person. God I can’t even type it. This fucking Handmaids Tale stuff. 

So Ron 'geographically identifies' (whatever the fuck that means) as a Floridian, but feels that he culturally identifies as a Rust-Belt person?  But how people identify is supposed to be based on facts, not feelings?  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

"My upbringing reflected western Pennsylvania and northeast Ohio. And I'd say a good bit of Maricopa County, Arizona. Oh, and Georgia too, can't forget Georgia. Maybe a little bit of Wisconsin and Minnesota. Really, you could say that it reflected wherever you want it to be if you'll just elect me."

Okay, since Ron brought up the term "geography"...

-He was not raised in Tampa Bay.  First of all, it's a body of water.  There's a city called Tampa.  There is no such place to live as Tampa Bay.  Nobody was raised in the Gulf of Mexico.  You can say you were raised near/on the Gulf of Mexico or Tampa Bay.  

-Ron was not raised anywhere near Tampa Bay.  He was born in Jacksonville.  Then lived in Orlando.  Then moved as an elementary school kid to Dunedin.  Now Dunedin isn't terribly far from the city of Tampa.  But it's not ON Tampa Bay.  If you're from Harlingen, you weren't raised ON the Gulf of Mexico.  That's about what we're talking by distance.  Now he did grow up very close to the Gulf of Mexico, so he could just say that.  But it has the term "Mexico" in it.  So I get why he chose "Tampa Bay", a body of water where no brown people live.  Because you know...it's a fucking body of water.