Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

To be fair, it's not a bad list.  Better array of classics than Texas is gonna end up with when these morons are through gutting libraries.  But the grades are all off by multiple years.  I went to an above average school but nothing to write home about, and their 12th graders are reading shit we read in 9th grade or in junior high.  

19 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

This is an explicitly fascist and authoritarian move. Given our current pace of justice for criminal fascist acts, I'd imagine Ron is gonna get a year or two to play with his new toy if he manages to procure it

• Hook 'Em 2

Meatball Ron is launching an investigation! If I have the timeline correct, Disney did all of this before the Florida Legislature took over. So they didn't thwart the "will of the voters" given this was all done when the old board still had full control. I'd imagine this outcome, the 30 year clause, was always in the cards for the district if Florida tried to take it over.

Bob Iger is so much better at his job than DeSantis.

He directly accused DeSantis of retaliation for Disney's speech. That's definitely putting DeSantis on notice that a suit against Disney will bring a countersuit over what DeSantis pulled. He also wrapped it up by saying "any action that thwarts these efforts (adding jobs and their 17 billion investment in the next 10 years) simply to retaliate is anti-business and anti-Florida". 

• Hook 'Em 6

Lot going on in Ronnie's "My So Called Meatball Life" right now.  But wanted to bump this so that somebody bumps it again mid-morning tomorrow to see if he has any reaction to the Arraignment and/or he let MAGA nation home by protecting Trump.  Despite Trump filming his whole fucking trip from the shitter to Manhattan.  

On 4/3/2023 at 1:05 PM, mdmost said:

Bob Iger is so much better at his job than DeSantis.

Iger also has easy access to a deep war chest when it comes to hiring competent lawyers, as evidenced by things that recently came to light.  DeSantis being a lawyer, should know this on some level, but he now has a tiger by the tail.

DeSantis has to be sweating a little bit, because if Disney goes after him and wins again in terms of Constitutional issues, it's not a good look to get pantsed like that over Constitutional issues heading into 2024 or 2028 (when he would have been out of office for a few years).

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Iger also has easy access to a deep war chest when it comes to hiring competent lawyers, as evidenced by things that recently came to light.  DeSantis being a lawyer, should know this on some level, but he now has a tiger by the tail.

DeSantis has to be sweating a little bit, because if Disney goes after him and wins again in terms of Constitutional issues, it's not a good look to get pantsed like that over Constitutional issues heading into 2024 or 2028 (when he would have been out of office for a few years).

It's also not a good look to the average voter who doesn't pay attention to this stuff.  "DeSantis tried to take over Disney!!??"

1 minute ago, Serak The Preparer said:

This could all be true but Rebekah Jones is a whackadoodle and I'm suspicious of her claims in general. She's a good grifter, just targeting anti-MAGA / anti-Ron.

Then you let her lose in court and ignore her. Taking her son for a bullshit reason gives her the oxygen she craves. 

RFK Jr. is a nut. As are a thousand other anti-vax weirdos. No one is taking their kids over a meme reported anonymously.

14 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Then you let her lose in court and ignore her. Taking her son for a bullshit reason gives her the oxygen she craves. 

RFK Jr. is a nut. As are a thousand other anti-vax weirdos. No one is taking their kids over a meme reported anonymously.

Maybe so, but I've seen a lot of "they took my kids because of x" and it turns out they left out y, z, and all the Greek letters. If she's  telling the truth then obviously it's bullshit and she should get her kids back. I'd also be surprised if her tweet thread is an accurate depiction of events.

2 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Maybe so, but I've seen a lot of "they took my kids because of x" and it turns out they left out y, z, and all the Greek letters. If she's  telling the truth then obviously it's bullshit and she should get her kids back. I'd also be surprised if her tweet thread is an accurate depiction of events.

The problem is, it's Florida, and Desantis is literally trying to create a police/military force that bypasses the normal state LEO infrastructure/chain-of-command and report directly to him.  And he's desperately trying to compete with Trump, without looking like he is.

So she maybe crazy, but this is exactly the kind of shit you'd expect with DeSantis.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

This could all be true but Rebekah Jones is a whackadoodle and I'm suspicious of her claims in general. She's a good grifter, just targeting anti-MAGA / anti-Ron.

Yea, it feels like this would be a much larger story if it were 100% true. National media, ACLU et al would be crying from the rooftops if this is how it went down. 

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, it feels like this would be a much larger story if it were 100% true. National media, ACLU et al would be crying from the rooftops if this is how it went down. 

I suspect there may be a lag here because the media / ACLU want to get the full set of facts before going after DeSantis and co. given Jones' history of not telling the whole story.  If it's true though, this should be a HUGE deal, especially in light of DeSantis' efforts to develop his own little Gestapo in Florida.

11 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I wouldn’t just take this loony woman’s word for what happened 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

This could all be true but Rebekah Jones is a whackadoodle and I'm suspicious of her claims in general.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So she maybe crazy, but this is exactly the kind of shit you'd expect with DeSantis.

36 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I wouldn’t just take this loony woman’s word for what happened 

All of this.  I am curious to see how this plays out but suspect there is much more to the story than she has revealed.

Does “the state” just bring charges, or do you get a document with someone’s name on it? If a member of my family were targeted by the government as retaliation against me, I would put the name of individual who brought the charges out on social media and the exact nature of the charges. 

3 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Corollary: "Teaching kids about anything I don't like is grooming."

A good Jordan Klepper type deal would be to read some Jesus quotes these imbeciles, but say that they came from liberal elementary school teachers. "Yeah fuck that shit!"

"Actually, Jesus said that."

"oh"

• Hook 'Em 3

More on the story about Jones's kid:

What is Jones' son accused of doing?
An incident report released Monday afternoon by the Santa Rosa Sheriff’s Office allege that the 13-year-old made repeated threats to shoot up Holley Navarre Middle School and to stab students who angered him.

Investigators interviewed multiple students who spoke with the teenager, as well as those who saw messages he posted on social media. In the messages to his friends, the teenager made the following statements, among others:

“I want to shoot up the school.”

If I get a gun I’m gonna shoot up hnms lol.”

“I’m getting a wrath and natural selection shirt so maybe but I don’t think many ppl know what the columbine shooters look like.”

“Okay so it’s been like 3-4 weeks since I got on my new antidepressants and they aren’t working but they’re suppose to by now so I have no hope in getting better so why not kill the losers at school.”

The teenager told one of his friends that he planned to shoot up the school the Thursday before Spring Break but there were too many things going on so he postponed it until March 31.

The students reported the claims to the school prior to that date and the investigation was launched.

The teenager was homeschooled at the time of the alleged threats.

Santa Rosa Sheriff’s Office investigators called the boy’s mother, Rebekah Jones, who said the family was vacationing in Mississippi but would call investigators when she returned. During the interview, Rebekah Jones confirmed there were no guns in the residents and the only weapons were kitchen knives, which she has stored in a locked box.

SRSO spokeswoman Jillian Durkin said Jones turned her son in to the Sheriff's Office.

That's the pertinent part but here's the full article: https://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2023/04/06/rebekah-jones-son-arrested-in-florida-what-we-know-about-digital-threat-allegations/70088634007/

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

More on the story about Jones's kid:

What is Jones' son accused of doing?
An incident report released Monday afternoon by the Santa Rosa Sheriff’s Office allege that the 13-year-old made repeated threats to shoot up Holley Navarre Middle School and to stab students who angered him.

Investigators interviewed multiple students who spoke with the teenager, as well as those who saw messages he posted on social media. In the messages to his friends, the teenager made the following statements, among others:

“I’m getting a wrath and natural selection shirt so maybe but I don’t think many ppl know what the columbine shooters look like.”

“Okay so it’s been like 3-4 weeks since I got on my new antidepressants and they aren’t working but they’re suppose to by now so I have no hope in getting better so why not kill the losers at school.”

The teenager told one of his friends that he planned to shoot up the school the Thursday before Spring Break but there were too many things going on so he postponed it until March 31.

The students reported the claims to the school prior to that date and the investigation was launched.

The teenager was homeschooled at the time of the alleged threats.

Santa Rosa Sheriff’s Office investigators called the boy’s mother, Rebekah Jones, who said the family was vacationing in Mississippi but would call investigators when she returned. During the interview, Rebekah Jones confirmed there were no guns in the residents and the only weapons were kitchen knives, which she has stored in a locked box.

SRSO spokeswoman Jillian Durkin said Jones turned her son in to the Sheriff's Office.

That's the pertinent part but here's the full article: https://www.pnj.com/story/news/crime/2023/04/06/rebekah-jones-son-arrested-in-florida-what-we-know-about-digital-threat-allegations/70088634007/

yeah, sounds like more than just posting memes.

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

n the messages to his friends, the teenager made the following statements, among others:

Yeah, that is...fairly problematic.  AKA, wtf this kid SHOULD be arrested if this is all true.

Rebekah Jones is a total head case. 

From her Wikipedia page…

Jones has had prior criminal charges. At the time the search warrant was executed, Jones was facing an active misdemeanor charge on allegations of cyberstalking a former student of hers who was a romantic partner and publishing sexual details about their relationship online. She was fired from her Florida State University teaching position for threatening to give a failing grade to her romantic partner's roommate.[108] She faced prior charges including felony robbery, trespass, and contempt of court stemming from an alleged violation of a domestic violence restraining order related to the same ex-boyfriend, but those charges were dropped. In 2017, she had been arrested and charged with criminal mischief in the vandalism of his car, but the charges were dropped.[108][109][110][86]

Jones faced criminal charges in Louisiana in 2016 where she was arrested and charged by the LSU Police Department with one count each of battery on a police officer and remaining there after being forbidden, plus two counts of resisting arrest after refusing to vacate a Louisiana State University office upon being dismissed from her staff position.

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1