Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

At the end of the day, as soon as the debates happen and Desantis stands next to Trump who is 6'2 (give or take) he is going to get crushed.  

And when Trump turns on his firehose of bullshit and starts shouting and interrupting and talking over him, DeSantis won’t have a response. His whole shtick is based on emulating Trump and that’s not going to work when he gets in the ring with Trump. He can’t out-Trump Trump. 

On 3/5/2023 at 9:26 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

TL/DR: Compare it to football--UT is in the SEC now. Realignment is reality. The Big 12 is in the dustbin of football history. The football ledge is not so different from the political one really. Offseason sucks.

Interesting analogy.

What follows might be an unpopular take for those who believe football exists outside of cultural-political trends.

Can't help but wonder how much of the move to the SEC was also driven by a "cultural alignment" with the Deep South, driven by BMDs and Regents wanting to own the liberals at UT and send a signal to Texans and the rest of America. Yeah, I know the ESPN-media driven propaganda saying that's all about $$$$ and the TV spectacle of "big boy football." That's surely part of the reason. And a good smoke screen.

If we add on UT's new right wing "Civitas Institute" being run by a self-described "pro-life evangelical" funded with $6 million from the state and $6 million from the BOR (all according to Texas Tribune), then we get a clearer picture of where the BMD-BOR want UT going. Given everything happening in Abbott's Texas and MAGA America, it's hard to believe creating Civitas and joining the SEC are just an unrelated coincidence in a cultural vacuum. After all, Texas and Florida are the SEC leaders in right wing (fascist) politics. I wonder if any of that SEC $$$ will be going to Civitas?

But... Which state and football conference have global companies with factories and skyscrapers in Austin—Apple, Facebook, Google, Tesla—and has high-tech, scientific, and cosmological research universities much like UT? Last time I passed through Austin several years ago, I didn't see any companies from the Deep South with skyscrapers or factories in Austin. We all know there ain't no freaking way Abbott and BMD-BOR (and many vocal alums) let UT align with liberal universities on the West Coast.

Here's another anecdotal but revealing example. Head out to UT's McDonald Observatory and you don't see any SEC universities listed as telescope/research partners (other than A&M tagging along with big brother). Same with the "Giant Magellan Telescope" that UT is helping fund in Chile—university partners include A&M, Harvard, Chicago and Arizona, and Arizona State, plus many science institutions from around the world. This is a key way forward for the human species and it makes me super-proud that UT is one of the true global leaders.

And no SEC in sight. Just sayin'. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Being bummed out at voting rights is very on brand

Funny.  But I’ll stand by my thoughts that rapists, murderers, and child molesters shouldn’t have a say in the direction of our country, no matter how “reformed” they are when they are released back into polite society.  

• Fuck You 3

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Funny.  But I’ll stand by my thoughts that rapists, murderers, and child molesters shouldn’t have a say in the direction of our country, no matter how “reformed” they are when they are released back into polite society.  

What about drug users? Felony DUI? Theft? 

Do you have any idea the breadth of conduct covered by felony laws?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What about them? Sounds like people who couldn’t make it in a lawful society.  Hundreds of millions in the country aren’t felons. It’s not difficult.    

I know you make your living on them, certainly no bias there. 

So why don’t we just put them in jail until they die?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

53 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Every felon isn't a rapist, murder or child molester, dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

You know, guys, I think fatty may be on to something here. Only truly responsible society members should be entitled to a full vote count. For example, maybe just the ones who own land. Then, we can divvy up everyone else into certain fractional-values based on their crimes, wealth, and social status. Perhaps a scale of 1/5 to 4/5. Why has no one tried something like this before??

Sounds like some kind of compromise to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

You know, guys, I think fatty may be on to something here. Only truly responsible society members should be entitled to a full vote count. For example, maybe just the ones who own land. Then, we can divvy up everyone else into certain fractional-values based on their crimes, wealth, and social status. Perhaps a scale of 1/5 to 4/5. Why has no one tried something like this before??

I mean, if we're going to be elitist, shouldn't we be really elitist?  Shouldn't only college educated people be allowed to vote?  And maybe you get a double vote if say, you went to the alma mater of your state?  Maybe if you have a JD you get an extra one on top of that?  It's a modest proposal, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

What about them? Sounds like people who couldn’t make it in a lawful society.  Hundreds of millions in the country aren’t felons. It’s not difficult.    

Do you think every felony should be a life sentence? Should felons ever be allowed to own a gun? Should they be allowed to marry? Should they be subject to illegal searches and seizures? 

11 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Now ask him about white collar felons 

I just want to know what rights people aren’t entitled to anymore even after serving their sentence. He says they shouldn’t vote so why would they even be protected under the constitution?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Correct, but every convicted murderer, rapist, or child molester is.    I get it, it a huge boon for your team.  

negged for implying that murderers, rapists, and child molesters skew D. If you have some sort of scientific survey or study showing this to be true, post it up and i"ll retract my neg and apologize. Until then, fuck you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Should felons ever be allowed to own a gun? Should they be allowed to marry? Should they be subject to illegal searches and seizures? 

spoiler alert, his responses:

Yes as many as they want, yes but only straight, yes if they voted for someone I disagree with

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Correct, but every convicted murderer, rapist, or child molester is.    I get it, it a huge boon for your team.  

Convicted isn't necessarily guilty.  The system is not infallible.  There is also rampant corruption.  But you know that, don't you.  Just you don't give a shit.  Every time I think you can sink no lower, you prove me wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I make a living regardless of whether convicted felons can vote. 

I know you have a borderline psychotic hatred for poor people of color, certainly no bias there.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Convicted isn't necessarily guilty.  The system is not infallible.  There is also rampant corruption.  But you know that, don't you.  Just you don't give a shit.  Every time I think you can sink no lower, you prove me wrong.

And yet y'all continue to interact with him as if he's arguing in good faith.  Even if you give him that, he's just an unpersuadable moron.  Life is much nicer with him on ignore.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And when Trump turns on his firehose of bullshit and starts shouting and interrupting and talking over him, DeSantis won’t have a response. His whole shtick is based on emulating Trump and that’s not going to work when he gets in the ring with Trump. He can’t out-Trump Trump. 

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

desantis isn’t a good debater 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Trump will attack and attack some more. Desantis will have a deer in the headlights look 

Given what we've seen of DeSantis trying to get Trump supporters kicked out of his rallies, how he acts towards the media and Florida in general, he's such an insane control freak that he will absolutely be a deer-in-headlights if he takes the stage with Trump.  Trump will just start spouting off made-up bullshit and making claims about DeSantis and DeSantis won't know how to respond, because he can't have Trump kicked out, and he can't have Trump silenced, and he damned sure can't walk off the stage, and he's not use to people confronting him face-to-face the way Trump would in a debate.

DeSantis's only hope would be to grow a spine (and a couple of inches) and methodically destroy Trump, by questioning his business acumen (or lack thereof), his decisions as President, his losing the White House, Senate, and House, his corruption (taking hundreds of millions in and spending very little of it on anybody but himself), and he could even go and talk about why Trump took in those hundreds of millions after the election but didn't help the J6 insurrectionists with their legal bills.

DeSantis would have to grow one helluva spine though, because he probably only gets one chance to destroy Trump on the debate stage, and unless he completely takes him down in some kind of John Oliver-esque rant, he will be finished as MAGA will turn up against him.

But.....if DeSantis grew a spine and grew some charisma, and just utterly destroyed Trump to his face - calling into question his leadership (including over COVID), his losses of the WH, Senate, and House, branding Trump an absolute loser, and Trump's inability to accomplish so much of what he bragged that he would do, as well as Trump's family getting in on making money (Jared's ties to the Saudis, etc.) DeSantis has a chance.

I don't think DeSantis is competent enough to do it though.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

But.....if DeSantis grew a spine and grew some charisma, and just utterly destroyed Trump to his face - calling into question his leadership (including over COVID), his losses of the WH, Senate, and House, branding Trump an absolute loser, and Trump's inability to accomplish so much of what he bragged that he would do, as well as Trump's family getting in on making money (Jared's ties to the Saudis, etc.) DeSantis has a chance.

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

We're talking about MAGA - I think if he could win points with these idiots if he could make the loser label stick to Trump, and let Trump sputter and bitch about stolen elections, and then respond with "unlike this loser, I'm not going to let the Democrats steal the election from me" or he could point out the 60+ lawsuits that Trump lost and ask how many more lawsuits Trump will lose before people realize he's a loser.  These people want to own the libtards, and he just has to convince them that Trump is not the path to owning the libtards.

But as I said, he's not competent enough.

And he doesn't have the spine to call Trump a loser to his face. 

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

I know you have a borderline psychotic hatred for poor people of color, certainly no bias there.

I haven’t said anything about people of color. I said felons. That you are tying them together says a lot, though.  A whole lot. Accusations, confessions yada yada. 

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I haven’t said anything about people of color. I said felons. That you are tying them together says a lot, though.  A whole lot. Accusations, confessions yada yada. 

You misunderstand. I think you're a racist. Sorry, should have been more clear.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And yet y'all continue to interact with him as if he's arguing in good faith.  Even if you give him that, he's just an unpersuadable moron.  Life is much nicer with him on ignore.

Why do you believe I’m not acting in good faith. In 99.999% of cases, they are a net negative to society, and will never provide back to society what we spent on them. And that’s before you tally the pain, suffering, or financial loss when they committed their crime.  Many times “rehabilitated” and back in society long before their victims recover, many that never do. Rape victims and family members of the murdered out front should have told you.  I get that every vote counts and all that, but torbush. 

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Why do you believe I’m not acting in good faith. In 99.999% of cases, they are a net negative to society, and will never provide back to society what we spent on them. And that’s before you tally the pain, suffering, or financial loss when they committed their crime.  Many times “rehabilitated” and back in society long before their victims recover, many that never do. Rape victims and family members of the murdered out front should have told you.  I get that every vote counts and all that, but torbush. 

Stahp

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You misunderstand. I think you're a racist. Sorry, should have been more clear.

I understood what you meant.  I’ll tally all the fucks I give and get back with you.   Still, odd how you needed  put words in my mouth to make a point.  You seem like a tremendous attorney.  

• Fuck You 6

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I understood what you meant.  I’ll tally all the fucks I give and get back with you.   Still, odd how you needed  put words in my mouth to make a point.  You seem like a tremendous attorney.  

I rarely neg but this post deserved it. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 2