Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

Do I have to write all the bad jokes on this site?  Trump is going to have to sell his Florida home and may have to sleep in public on DeSantis' watch?  But on Palm Sunday, we're totally not living in a simulation?  

Was in Ron’s country for 4 days. There is no difference between the Woodlands/Conroe/Spring and Northwest Panhandle (Milton-Bagdad-Pace) near Pensacola, except actual jobs existing in the Texas areas.

Have an Aunt that is native to the FL panhandle and would be filthy rich if her family ever sold their land. She had the same conversation with everyone who would listen that she was hugely against all the new development and new people coming into the area and driving prices up. Lots of talk about how they get screwed over on home insurance.

• Drool 1

Criminalizing homelessness is fucked up. I do like the idea of being able to sue local municipalities for not adequately addressing homelessness within their borders. There needs to be accountability 

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Criminalizing homelessness is fucked up.

It’s the Christian thing to do ahead of Palm Sunday/Easter.  Everybody recalls Jesus on the Cross saying “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do, except the homeless, they should be living in their homes and I don’t know why they aren’t. Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise, but not the homeless.  Fuck them homeless.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

look up when life begins in the bible

I already know...

Just pointing out ANOTHER slice of hypocrisy in the christo-fascist pantheon 

The text of Florida SB1365 is here for any who wish to read it; it's fairly short: https://m.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2024/1365/BillText/er/PDF

As @Sawbonz pointed out, there is a push/pull aspect to this and for me, it is what is unwritten where things could easily go off the rails. For example, what is to stop a county from having a revolving carousel of migrating homeless people wherein the law (enforcement arm of the govt) drops off 'offenders' in another jurisdiction--I've heard this kind of happens now from rural to urban areas because rural areas lack social services, but I cannot vouchsafe for that rumor--which leads me to a different thought after perusing the bill/law: since counties/munis are on the hook for the land, services, etc and residents, business owners, and the AG can file civil suits (according to the bill lines 117-120) is another intended/unintended consequence to bankrupt these municipalities? I note this because a lot of the redress that a city (under financial difficulties) might have is regulated through the state (office of children and families) and seems like it would be possible to pick and choose whom to offer relief vs punish (cutting to the chase: blue county vs red county).

I agree that criminalizing homeless persons is not only troubling but an indictment on our society--all of us. However, I have no solutions to offer but that this one has some aspects that could be positive or abused and per usual the vague and airy waving of hands about the details probably ensures that Abbott will encourage the Texas Lege to adopt this and then go after Houston, Austin, et. al.

As I am not one of the Surly legal eagles, if anyone reads the signed document and has any thoughts to the above speculation, please offer them.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/25/2024 at 5:36 AM, Voldemort86 said:

What if you accidentally fall asleep in a Florida movie theater or while studying at the public / campus library?  Are you breaking Detrumpis’s newest law?

students across Florida are in trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:49 PM, Sawbonz said:

Criminalizing homelessness is fucked up.

It has some merit. Kind of like locking up people who can’t pay their bills in bankruptcy prisons.    I mean, you might not be able to work, but maybe the Loan Falcon will be able to fly into your cell allowing you to pay your debts off. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Does this mean the Gators are going to have a hard time finding decent wide recievers?

I’m more worried about angry pythons who now have skin issues getting their revenge on humanity.  It will happen.  You can’t stop FSU students from having sex with armadillos.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I’m more worried about angry pythons who now have skin issues getting their revenge on humanity.  It will happen.  You can’t stop FSU students from having sex with armadillos.  

Unconquered 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Well unless the armadillos consent...  

jameis-winston-squinting.jpg

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wtf?

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/12/1244316874/florida-blocks-heat-protections-for-workers-right-before-summer

Florida blocks heat protections for workers right before summer

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed a law that prevents cities or counties from creating protections for workers who labor in the state's often extreme and dangerous heat.

Two million people in Florida, from construction to agriculture, work outside in often humid, blazing heat.

For years, many of them have asked for rules to protect them from heat: paid rest breaks, water, and access to shade when temperatures soar. After years of negotiations, such rules were on the agenda in Miami-Dade County, home to an estimated 300,000 outdoor workers.

But the new law, signed Thursday evening, blocks such protections from being implemented in cities and counties across the state.

Miami-Dade pulled its local heat protection rule from consideration after the statewide bill passed the legislature in March.

"It's outrageous that the state legislature will override the elected officials of Miami Dade or other counties that really recognize the importance of protecting that community of workers," says David Michaels, an epidemiologist at George Washington University and a former administrator at the federal Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA). 

The loss of the local rule was a major blow to Miami-Dade activists and workers who had hoped the county heat protection rules would be in place before summer.

In a press conference on Friday, DeSantis said the bill he signed did not come from him. "There was a lot of concern out of one county, Miami-Dade. And I don't think it was an issue in any other part of the state," DeSantis said. "I think they were pursuing something that was going to cause a lot of problems down there." 

But extreme heat will only get worse. "Last year was the hottest summer in Florida's history. And this year will likely be the hottest summer in Florida's history," says Esteban Wood, director of the advocacy group We-Count, one of the organizations working on heat protections in Miami-Dade. The new law, he says, represents "a profound loss for not only the campaign but for all the families that have for many years been fighting for the minimum—which was just water, shade and rest, and the right to return home after work alive."

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

• 2 weeks later...
He probably still doesn't realize a shitload of MAGA hate him because of the color of his skin or his last name.
They don't hate him. He's "one of the good ones". He's the shield that makes their racist policy, not racist. It's just a shame the woke mob cancel culture refused to eat at his restaurant.

See also: Owens, Candace.

2 minutes ago, tchookem said:

They don't hate him. He's "one of the good ones". He's the shield that makes their racist policy, not racist. It's just a shame the woke mob cancel culture refused to eat at his restaurant.

See also: Owens, Candace.

They hate him for the whole employing undocumented brown people thing. 

58 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They hate him for the whole employing undocumented brown people thing. 

One of my favorite angles of the QMAGA crowd.  They can't cook, and they don't want to pick crops or clean houses or install roofs.  Guess who's happy to do so, and by the way, who is really good at those jobs?

Sure, let's eliminate a huge portion of employee supply and see what happens.  Idiots.

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1