Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

Per rivals, from 2015 to 2019, UT's avg recruiting ranking was 12th.  The average star rating per player was 3.54.  The average star rating of receivers was 3.57.  

For Notre Dame, from 2015-2019, the avg recruiting ranking was 12th.  The average star rating per player was 3.49.  The average star rating of receivers was 3.52.  

If you want to see what Kelly would do with our talent level, particularly outside skill position players on offense, look at what he's done at ND.  That's as close of a proxy as you're going to get.

Yes, he's better than Herman, but he's not the guy.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Per rivals, from 2015 to 2019, UT's avg recruiting ranking was 12th.  The average star rating per player was 3.54.  The average star rating of receivers was 3.57.  

For Notre Dame, from 2015-2019, the avg recruiting ranking was 12th.  The average star rating per player was 3.49.  The average star rating of receivers was 3.52.  

If you want to see what Kelly would do with our talent level, particularly outside skill position players on offense, look at what he's done at ND.  That's as close of a proxy as you're going to get.

lol at using Rivals.
Kelly has made the playoffs twice in that time span, and you think you’re proving he’d be  bad hire? Holy shit some of y’all are stupid. The whole point is that with his coaching abilities, he can get a more talented roster at Texas than he currently has at ND. And Texas averaged that ranking during the Strong era and with a transition class so it’s pretty obvious it would be higher with a stable coach who wins 10 games almost every year. 

If he can make the playoffs every other year with our current talent level, then sign me the fuck up because recruiting will take off and the roster talent will become top 5 If he made the playoff at Texas. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Notre Dame also won 12 more games than Texas and went to the playoff in that same time frame. Add to that he went to the playoff after a 4-8 rebuilding year. He may not be the guy but he sure as hell can coach up talent better than we've seen in a while. 

Hell, I'll even scratch out the two 5-7 Charlie years and just compare 2017-2019 and Notre Dame won 8 more games than Texas. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

LMAO at  you trying to make a point about recruiting and then using fucking rivals ranking.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

You're putting 2 Charlie years in the mix as well as a transition year. Also using Rivals as BM pointed out.

I'd like to think BK would be able to recruit as well as Herman once he gets settled. 2018, 2019, 2020 were all a level above ND. Show me where BK has landed a receiver class like this in South Bend:

Screenshot_20210101-190302_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4c465ac9906639c96a5daf3e9fbc0076.jpg

Then the next year you have Whitt, Smith and Marcus Washington. Technically you had Bru McCoy, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I get the point generally, but that is including a transition class in 2017 and Charlie Strong’s first full class ranked 10. 2018, 2019, 2020 have us averaging the 4.6 best class with average player rankings of 91.70 on 247. That’s better than Notre Dame even with Notre Dame having far more stability. I’d think that’s what would draw Kelly. 

Well, I wasn't impressed by the ND showing, but I have to stick with what I believed beforehand.  Since Kelly's team did not get blown out by more than the spread, he is in position 1A, trailing only Urbs, in terms of what he could actually accomplish here.  He certainly meets the experience factor indicated earlier.  He has been the chief and been successful at more than one place.   He appears to be a successful CEO. 

Of course the gap between Urbs and BK is huge, but this move certainly looks like something Texas might make happen.   I do not believe Urbs has felt like there was another coach that Texas could possibly be interested in.  Now, there might be a slight nod from Urbs that the Texas job may not be open indefinitely just for him.  He might want to think about how many chances he has left to win a NC at a university that has an open bank account.   Will his value to college football be any higher than it is right now?  I don't think so.  I think he has reached his peak and now is the time for him to act to pile up multi-generational wealth for his family tree. 

The timing is perfect for Urbs to make his ultimate decision after an OhioSt. loss tonight.  I am still on the Urbs bandwagon.  The ball is still in his court.  

45 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

These teams scored more points against Bama this year than the vaunted Brian Kelly self-titled mystery spread offense™️ :

Tennessee (3-7)

Missouri (5-5)

Ole Miss (4-5)

LSU (5-5)

Cool. We'll hire one of those OCs for Kelly when he gets here. 

• Haha 1

"Notre Dame Nation, you guys can get some sleep," Kelly said. "Recharge your batteries, and we're gonna get ourselves back in this position again. ... We're going to keep working. We're going to rededicate ourselves in the offseason back in the weight room, and we'll hope to get right back here in Dallas [site of a CFP semifinal] next year."
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30635226/brian-kelly-frustrated-questions-notre-dame-fighting-irish-loss-vows-breakthrough

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Only Bama, Clemson and Ohio State have physical specimens every year. The rest of the P5 are all seemingly mortal.

as joel klatt said in his last vidblog, as long as there are only 3 games that matter, all of the wealth will gravitate to the only teams that compete in those 3 games.

16 playoff teams, kill the bowls

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

How much does academics factor into y'all's recruiting? I'm thinking y'all are more like us (rigorous, in general, but still a couple majors that athletes gravitate towards) than a Stanford (gaining admission being a roll of the dice) but don't know for certain. 

every year all but 5 recruits have to have already passed AP calculus in high school before they get to south bend.   the corollary is racist and true.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

"Notre Dame Nation, you guys can get some sleep," Kelly said. "Recharge your batteries, and we're gonna get ourselves back in this position again. ... We're going to keep working. We're going to rededicate ourselves in the offseason back in the weight room, and we'll hope to get right back here in Dallas [site of a CFP semifinal] next year."
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30635226/brian-kelly-frustrated-questions-notre-dame-fighting-irish-loss-vows-breakthrough

What a moron. It isn't in Dallas it's in Arlington. And some of you want this guy as our head coach? Lol.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

every year all but 5 recruits have to have already passed AP calculus in high school before they get to south bend.   the corollary is racist and true.

Please read this post hookem 48. And others.  This means 20 of 85 scholarships at ND go to players who can’t do calculus (5 per yr x 4 yrs).  The other 60 can, but may not play such good football.  Capiche?

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I don't know about UT but we seem to lose a lot of players by the end of fall practices.  Especially highly touted skill position types.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No. Two things keep us apart from CFP participants (Bama, OSU, Clemson, OU and Georgia) - line play, and coaching. We’ve held our own on the D Line and built considerable depth there. We need more. Our OL has improved but the depth hasn’t been demonstrated and the starters, when combined with our coaching, don’t hold a candle to the aforementioned programs. Skill position wise - on offense and the back 7 on defense - there’s really not much difference if any. It’s all line play and coaching. 

ND's Oline recruits are a known commodity.  A fairly deep talent river from Chicago to New Jersey.  They're committing because ND has always been a cultural force, not because they grew up dreaming of playing for Brian Kelly.

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

I don't know about UT but we seem to lose a lot of players by the end of fall practices.  Especially highly touted skill position types.

ND's Oline recruits are a known commodity.  A fairly deep talent river from Chicago to New Jersey.  They're committing because ND has always been a cultural force, not because they grew up dreaming of playing for Brian Kelly.

I guess this Cultural Force is why ND hasn't won a national title in a third of a century. 

Brian Kelly: “I don’t have a unique problem at Notre Dame.”

By Zach Barnett -  January 1, 2021

Brian Kelly walked in the media room at AT&T Stadium on Friday night prepared for an argument. Once again, Notre Dame lost another big game by a big margin, and once again Kelly would be expected to apologize for his team’s performance, for having the gall to play in a national semifinal but not win it.  “Look at the scores of the games Alabama has played all year…. You guys watched the games, didn’t you? They made plays on the perimeter,” Kelly said. “They have the college football player of the year who made some dynamic plays. We battled. We were right there.”

Kelly is correct, to a point. Where as the 2013 BCS National Championship (Alabama 42, Notre Dame 14) and the 2018 Cotton Bowl semifinal (Clemson 30, Notre Dame 3) saw the his team out-manned and out-muscled up and down the line of scrimmage, these Irish largely held their own at the point of attack. Notre Dame played Alabama to a virtual draw on the ground (140 rushing yards to 139); Alabama did manage a yard’s worth of extra damage on 13 fewer carries but, outside of a 53-yard gif-worthy Najee Harris leaping scamper, Notre Dame limited Alabama to 87 yards on 24 carries.

The problem for Notre Dame here was that playing Alabama to a stalemate on the ground didn’t matter because no one in white could cover anyone in crimson, particularly DeVonta Smith. The presumptive Heisman winner caught seven balls for 130 yards and a Rose Bowl record three touchdowns. Meanwhile, Ian Book had to turn to tight end Michael Meyer (seven catches) and running backs Chris Tyree and Kyren Williams (12) because Notre Dame receivers simply couldn’t separate from Alabama’s corners.  And while Notre Dame’s 31-14 deficit was technically an improvement on past performances, this outcome was never in doubt at any point. Alabama needed 12 offensive snaps to take a 14-0 lead, and Notre Dame enjoyed all of three drives with a chance to tie or take the lead — when the score was 0-0, 7-0 and 14-7. In fact, the final score would’ve been 31-7 if not for a 1-yard Book run with 56 seconds left in the game.

Kelly’s argument after the game, and it’s hard to call it an incorrect one, was essentially “No, we’re not as good as Alabama or Clemson, but who is?” Notre Dame is trying to become Alabama and Clemson, as are Oklahoma, Ohio State (Sugar Bowl result pending), Georgia and a handful of other programs. Everyone else is trying to get on Notre Dame, OU, et. al.’s level.  “When they’re on the perimeter, nobody has shut them down. Tell me who has tackled those guys. Everybody’s got the same problem that I do. I don’t have a unique problem at Notre Dame. You need to look at the scores (of) everybody that played against Alabama and Clemson.”

The problem for Notre Dame is three-fold:

1. The Irish got it on both ends in this season in particular. The 2020 Notre Dame season began with a soaring 10-game winning streak and ends with a thudding 2-game losing streak, falling to Clemson and Alabama by a combined 65-24.

2. Notre Dame (as does Oklahoma) risks a Buffalo Bills Effect. Like those early 90s Bills, the Fighting Irish win just enough that the entire country gets to see a really good team lose to a better one.

To that point, this loss drops Notre Dame to 0-7 in New Year’s Six games in college football’s Championship Era (since 1988). Those seven losses have come by an average of 23 points, three of them on Kelly’s watch. Over the last three seasons in particular, Notre Dame is 33-5 — 1-3 against Alabama/Clemson and 32-2 against everyone else.

Furthermore, Notre Dame’s last national title came in 1988. In the Championship Era (again, since 1988) the only program north of Knoxville, Tenn., to win a title is Ohio State.

3. Because Notre Dame is Notre Dame, people are going to be extra mad about the presumption “the networks” are conspiring to force another Irish blowout onto their television screens.

The end result of all that is that Kelly gets to sell Notre Dame as an unwanted, disregarded underdog.

Kelly has no other option but to keep building and keep trying, leading him to make this promise to his constituents that happened to sound like a threat to everyone else.  “We’re going to keep getting back here,” he said. “I’m sorry if you don’t like it. I’m sorry if the national media doesn’t like it, but we’re going to back to work, we’re going to keep recruiting and we’re going to put ourselves back in this position again.” 

https://footballscoop.com/news/brian-kelly-i-dont-have-a-unique-problem-at-notre-dame/

Good article.  But I don't get the "[Since] 1988, the only program north of Knoxville, Tenn., to win a title is Ohio State." comment.  

Nebraska is north of Knoxville.  So is Washington (1991).  So is Colorado (1990), So is Michigan (1997).  shit, OU might be further north than Knoxville.  It's a Southern game now though, we get that.  Has been for well over a half-century.   

Anyway, here's to a lots of changes in 2021.  Including Herman.  

Edited by Lobo