Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

51 minutes ago, DontTaseMeBro said:

Didn’t the Big 12 go 3-1 vs. the SEC this last bowl season?

Yeah, but the SEC was playing BDF teams so they weren’t interested. BDF- it just means less. Ask us and we’ll shape the narrative. 

Jimbo is very clever. Instead of going for the best guys first, he keeps them in reserve for when the lesser guys that he offered decommit. 

He knows how to win a natty. He's done it. You offer and get commits from your second choices and then go after the first choices when the second choices bail. The man is a genius.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Man they moved on from The Marine fast.  

A&M really lucked out that his buddy got an NFL job and hired him. He was terrible and was going to bring in a really bad OL class, and now they can reset with just Bankhead, who is solid if he's the only or one of two interior guys, rather than one of four interior guys in a class

Edited by Fud

9 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

None of the fuckers understand what a good college OL looks like. I hate how people on these boards (including 995ers) evaI OL. I was a RB (in a flexbone scheme) and DT in HS. Never sniffed the OL.

Aggy posters don’t know shit.

What's the best way to evaluate an OL? I'm genuinely curious, especially because it seems to be, by far, the hardest position to predict. I haven't done any research, but it seems like the star ranking system is worst at predicting OL production... 

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

What's the best way to evaluate an OL? I'm genuinely curious, especially because it seems to be, by far, the hardest position to predict. I haven't done any research, but it seems like the star ranking system is worst at predicting OL production... 

I agree that it's the toughest the figure out. I think more than any position, reasonable minds and smart people can see different things. I think it's easier though to point out who isn't a good prospect than who is. 

49 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

3 big factors with OL.  Physical talent includes size, strength, quickness, flexibility, footwork and balance.  That alone is harder to assess than most positions, especially the flexibility, balance and the athleticism to locate LBs and DBs in space.  Intelligence and ability to process information on the fly is also critical.  OL have to be able to identify blitzers, react to stems, slants and stunts while maintaining the correct assignments and leverage.  The mental aspect of the game is VERY difficult to assess.  Last is nastiness and desire.  A big part of OL play is intimidating and beating down the defense.  That is where a willingness to hit hard, play through the whistle and bury guys outright when there's an opportunity comes in.  An OL who takes plays off really hurts his team by missing an opportunity to grind the opponent down faster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

3 big factors with OL.  Physical talent includes size, strength, quickness, flexibility, footwork and balance.  That alone is harder to assess than most positions, especially the flexibility, balance and the athleticism to locate LBs and DBs in space.  Intelligence and ability to process information on the fly is also critical.  OL have to be able to identify blitzers, react to stems, slants and stunts while maintaining the correct assignments and leverage.  The mental aspect of the game is VERY difficult to assess.  Last is nastiness and desire.  A big part of OL play is intimidating and beating down the defense.  That is where a willingness to hit hard, play through the whistle and bury guys outright when there's an opportunity comes in.  An OL who takes plays off really hurts his team by missing an opportunity to grind the opponent down faster. 

Awhile back I posted about how I trust least the OL evals by the recruiting gurus and listed all of the 4 and 5 star busts we had on the OL at the end of the Mack era / Charlie era. It was horrifying.

I think one of the bigger confounding factors is that there are guys who are significantly bigger and stronger than their competition at the HS level and just bully the opposition into bolivian. They can't get away with that shit at the next level and projecting these kids 3 years out is clearly way more art than science. Our two best linemen over the past decade have been Connor Williams and Sam Cosmi. Williams was a 3 star who spent time at TE in high school and Cosmi was another 3 star who weighed 260 lbs thatwe pulled in at the last minute over Houston, Memphis and TCU in Herman's transition class.   

10 hours ago, DontTaseMeBro said:

Didn’t the Big 12 go 3-1 vs. the SEC this last bowl season?

The SEC regular season is a meat-grinder that makes a combination of Guadalcanal and a Soviet prison camp look like a trip to Disney World. It's not realistic to expect teams that survive that annual autumnal Hell on Earth to be in any physical or psychological shape to compete after the SEC Championship game. One might as well ask a survivor of the Bataan Death March to run a marathon twice. Honestly, these post-season games are mere sham exhibitions that are devoid of all cosmic meaning and worth.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

The SEC regular season is a meat-grinder that makes a combination of Guadalcanal and a Soviet prison camp look like a trip to Disney World. It's not realistic to expect teams that survive that annual autumnal Hell on Earth to be in any physical or psychological shape to compete after the SEC Championship game. One might as well ask a survivor of the Bataan Death March to run a marathon twice. Honestly, these post-season games are mere sham exhibitions that are devoid of all cosmic meaning and worth.

The UT History Department failed to educate me about the stops at Club Med (FCS) and Sandals (2-3 bad G5s) during the Bataan Death March.  Oh well.  Live and learn...

• Like 2

The problem in evals is that OL is one of the few areas where coaching makes a big difference. Thus kids with better coaching staffs can be coached up, max out, and simply look good for the raters.

I’d personally look for a workflow that would look something like this:

Height

Arm length

Hip flexibility - make them squat as deep as they can go and measure how far from the floor their ass is. Anymore more than a few inches is a pass

Waist to Hip ratio

Some athleticism measure. Shuttle and Vert work. Was the kid a RB? A TE? LB? Yes.

Multi sport

Signs of aggression.

I don’t gaf about how much you can power clean or any kind of coachable metric.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The problem in evals is that OL is one of the few areas where coaching makes a big difference. Thus kids with better coaching staffs can be coached up, max out, and simply look good for the raters.

This is something I've never quite understood. How can better HS coaching, which is something completely out of a kid's control, be a negative attribute for a kid? Is it the same reason a kid being a year older is a negative, in that they're closer to their peak?

I understand that kids with better coaching staffs are closer to being 'maxed out', but people also say that kids don't fully maximize their potential until they're in their mid-20s and playing in the NFL. Wouldn't it be better then to get a kid who'll be a year closer to that peak while in college?

23 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I’d personally look for a workflow that would look something like this:

Height

Arm length

Hip flexibility - make them squat as deep as they can go and measure how far from the floor their ass is. Anymore more than a few inches is a pass

Waist to Hip ratio

Some athleticism measure. Shuttle and Vert work. Was the kid a RB? A TE? LB? Yes.

Multi sport

Signs of aggression.

I don’t gaf about how much you can power clean or any kind of coachable metric.

I've gotta add intelligence and footwork.

Intelligence in today's game is critical for today's OL.  They need to be able to read defenses second only to QBs. Many blocking schemes rely on everyone being on the same page as to what type of stunt, blitz, front it being presented vs run.

And footwork can definitely be coached, but some kids are just not coordinated and will fail just because their footwork is awful.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This is something I've never quite understood. How can better HS coaching, which is something completely out of a kid's control, be a negative attribute for a kid? Is it the same reason a kid being a year older is a negative, in that they're closer to their peak?

I understand that kids with better coaching staffs are closer to being 'maxed out', but people also say that kids don't fully maximize their potential until they're in their mid-20s and playing in the NFL. Wouldn't it be better then to get a kid who'll be a year closer to that peak while in college?

I think it's a projection issue.  Is this kid better than the other kids because he's a better football player, or because he was lucky enough to have a private trainer and dietitian (things every player will have access to in college) since he was 12?  Is that 19 year-old really the best player on the field, or has that extra year of growth and development given him an advantage that will be nullified at the next level?  

Good, solid players come from the football factory high school programs all the time.  There are Hall of famers who were "old" for their grade.   These qualifiers don't automatically mean you are bad at football.  But any time there is an increase in competition, it's worth analyzing why someone succeeded at the previous level.  Good coaching or extra development, especially at the high school level,  can fairly easily mask a lack of talent.

As far as the "mid-20's max out" question, I think the worry is that the super-trained kids have expedited the traditional timeline, and may already be there.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Oh no we're not getting a complete basketcase recruitment, a great safety prospect that thinks he's a corner, and three fallback options.

Also outspoken SMU football fan EJ Holland is personally recruiting Demas to UT.

D1FBTvEXgAMqoW0.pngD1FBUCtXQAIXI_f.jpgD1FBUWUWwAkFDFk.jpgD1FBUpUWsAAgsg0.jpg

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

When you try to project how much better a guy will get after high school, you have to look at lots of factors. A guy with limited coaching and technique that dominates in high school due to size and strength has more growth ahead of him than a guy with already polished technique. 

Like when you're doing a long-term projection on a girlfriend?  Gotta make sure you see the mom to you know what you're getting into developmentally.  Of course technique can be coached...

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh no we're not getting a complete basketcase recruitment, a great safety prospect that thinks he's a corner, and three fallback options.

Also outspoken SMU football fan EJ Holland is personally recruiting Demas to UT.

So much projection from aggy.  Their accusations of reporters recruiting, money being paid, ect.  Just goes to show you that a liar thinks everyone else is lying and at thief is always worried others will steal from him.

• Like 5

I've gotta add intelligence and footwork.
Intelligence in today's game is critical for today's OL.  They need to be able to read defenses second only to QBs. Many blocking schemes rely on everyone being on the same page as to what type of stunt, blitz, front it being presented vs run.

And footwork can definitely be coached, but some kids are just not coordinated and will fail just because their footwork is awful.

I agree with your intelligence comment. I’d maybe put it 2nd in my workflow.

As for footwork, I think that is just an agility measure that would be exposed in my athleticism metric UNLESS you just use shuttle and Vert. If that is I would add some kind of agility test.

Interestingly, I don’t think the camps offer a solid agility test.

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Texas got a top 3 class because they can recruit nationally. aggy needs to hit on the Top Texas kids every year to get a Top 5 class. That's not going to happen if Texas is winning 10+ games, playing for conference championships, and participating in the playoffs/NE6 bowl games.

aggy can't replicate the National recruiting that helped Texas net their Top 3 class in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

"Beginning to wonder if we are missing Brewster more than expected."

Uhhhhhhhhh........... ya think!?!?

Did the Station lose its littiness when the Hill was lit?

Edited by Bevo14

5 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

26:40 - 30:00

Brauninger: "What do you think of Garrett Hayes as an OL commit?" 

Looch: "tu's OL recruits are overrated." 

And other "good" recruiting nuggets from these morons. 

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/texags.blob.core.windows.net/audio/0113483-fvtf.mp3

So Garth is overrated?  The same Garth that Looch says was a top 3 must get for this aggy class?  Lulz and Parr dropped in the recent rankings.  These guys are the gift that keeps on giving the whole year round.

• Like 2

4-star DE Princely Umanmielen talks recent, productive A&M visit

VIP ByDAMON SAYLES 15 minutes ago

One of the rising names in Texas high school football, defensive end Princely Umanmielen attends Manor High School but has an Austin, Texas, home address. Manor is minutes away from is home -- and his home also happens to be minutes away from the University of Texas.

Living in Austin, Umanmielen said he's constantly approached by a Texas Longhorns fan asking when he'll commit to the hometown school. What many around him don't understand is that Umanmielen is wide open with his recruiting process -- and Texas A&M is one of the schools very much alive in his recruitment. He visited College Station last Friday and said he thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

"That was my second time there," said Umanmielen, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive end. "It was fun, probably the most fun visit I've been on. I really liked the facilities. Everything was cool."

Umanmielen added: "Everybody around here's already calling me a Texas commit. I don't hate it, but I have to tell everyone that I'm not committed anywhere. I don't know where I'm going right now."

Recruited to Texas A&M by defensive end Terry Price, Umanmielen spoke highly of the Aggies' defensive front. When he and Price aren't having light-hearted conversations and cracking jokes, they are speaking in depth about how Umanmielen would fit in the 4-2-5 scheme.

"I like the defense they run. I like the four-man front," Umanmielen said. "He [Price] showed me if I went there where and how I'd play. I play strong end, so I would get a lot of opportunities to be up front and not get double-teamed."

Umanmielen is coming off a junior season where he recorded 45 tackles (21 for loss), 5.5 sacks and two forced fumbles for Manor. He helped the Mustangs advance two rounds deep in the Class 5A Division I playoffs. He defines himself as "physical and fast," as he's run the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds at an Arkansas camp last summer. It was a camp where the Razorbacks offered him after his performance.

Umanmielen has 19 reported offers but said LSU, Texas and Oklahoma are three schools that he's considering, along with Texas A&M. He has plans of making his first trip to LSU on March 22.

"With recruiting, it's been a good problem to have. It's fun and stressful at the same time," he said. "If I'm ready, I want to be committed somewhere before next season starts. I'd like to do that, but if I'm not ready, it'll be around [December] signing day."

Umanmielen is ranked the No. 15 strong-side defensive end and No. 336 player overall in the 2020 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He is ranked the No. 48 player from the state of Texas