Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Edit: It’s also insane that aggy was able to fall ass backwards into a 5 star QB. 

It's because he isn't a 5 star. When's the last time a 5 star QB was a battle between the likes of aggy and Tennessee? This is once again recruiting services overreacting to camps. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's because he isn't a 5 star. When's the last time a 5 star QB was a battle between the likes of aggy and Tennessee? This is once again recruiting services overreacting to camps. 

I agree he’s currently overrated, but he is a 5 star right now. Regardless, they still fell ass backwards into a way better QB than they should have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Card did well in camps and he dropped. The reporters like King better.

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

QBs can be late risers too. By the time King rose to the forefront a lot of schools already had their QB takes (including us). King is very much a five-star and A&M got unbelievably lucky.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

QBs can be late risers too. By the time King rose to the forefront a lot of schools already had their QB takes (including us). King is very much a five-star and A&M got unbelievably lucky.

I don't buy this at all. Who gives a shit if "schools already had their QB takes". If King is a legitimate 5 star QB schools would dump their current QB commit in a second. 

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Teams would take a legit 5-star and let their current QB decommit if he wanted to. King was underrated early on, but it's swung too far in the other direction, he's overrated now.

Edited by Lonestar88

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Teams would take a legit 5-star and let their current QB decommit if he wanted to. King was underrated before, but it's swung to far in the other direction, he's overrated now.

This is the right take. King is a good player and probably deserved a bump. He's not a 5 star player. 

Lulz at satya's take that "schools already had their QB". If King was a 5 star QB and right there for the taking they would dump their current QB commit in a second. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is the right take. King is a good player and probably deserved a bump. He's not a 5 star player. 

Lulz at satya's take that "schools already had their QB". If King was a 5 star QB and right there for the taking they would dump their current QB commit in a second. 

I don't really buy that it's that easy to dump your QB. Usually they're one of the leaders in the class and one of the first to commit. Processing them is just asking for trouble. We wouldn't have dumped Card for JQJ and next year we won't dump Milroe right before the season if a 5* QB were available. 

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Would a QB from ______ that ______ didn't offer ever be a 5 star? 

try Ohio, tOSU; Louisiana, LSU; Washington, UDub; Pennsylvania, Pedo State; the answer is "no" to all of them.  Add more if you like.

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Processing them is just asking for trouble. 

It depends on the talent of the current QB commit. If you have somebody like Card and JQJ it's not worth the trouble because they're already legit talents. In this case, our staff  thinks both are better than King regardless of ranking. 

But you're kidding yourself if you think it's "trouble" for a school to drop a decent QB for a perceived 5 star talent. Nearly every school in the country would do it. The blow back from processing players lasts a couple days and then nobody gives a shit. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

You could argue that LSU should have processed one of their two QB commits.

I think LSU is basically it. If people are really going to die on this hill their entire argument basically comes down to LSU because King was sold on the SEC. The lack of blue bloods in King's recruitment wasn't weird because he wouldn't look at most of them and a lot of the good SEC schools had their QBs early. 

"bUt LoOk At HiS oFfErS" is a very aggy argument and generally just annoying

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Holy shit, they are stupid.

This is the time of year where aggie championships are born and realized on paper.  Once the season starts, games replace camps for player value and upside.  If Aggie has good to great players, they will need to fend off the big SEC schools that beat them on Saturday in front of their recruits and then take signatures.  Additionally, none of the top SEC teams are afraid of the fighting aggie checkbook. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't think A&M is going to be bad under Jimbo. I think he's a good recruiter. I think their problem is that they need Texas to be bad, and they don't realize that that part of the cycle just ran its course. 

He might be a good recruiter, but I wondered how much losing Brewster was going to hurt their recruiting. I'm not sold on Jimbo being an elite recruiter like I think Herman is. 

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think LSU is basically it. If people are really going to die on this hill their entire argument basically comes down to LSU because King was sold on the SEC. The lack of blue bloods in King's recruitment wasn't weird because he wouldn't look at most of them and a lot of the good SEC schools had their QBs early. 

1) You don't think offer lists matter when determining if a recruit is a 5 star talent? Couldn't be me. There are obviously some anomalies when it comes to offer lists and 5 stars but if the big boy schools aren't involved there's normally a reason why. 

2) It's almost like LSU is shit at evaluating QBs. There isn't years of evidence to prove this or anything. 

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Looking at offers is an extremely valid and informative process when evaluating recruits. But you can't look at them alone if there's other information.

King is a very good prospect. But the fact that he was all SEC and it was a Texas A&M/Tennessee battle actually does say something regarding his prospect status. And it doesn't say "5-star". Not a big deal as he's still a good recruit and the 5-star status is fairly meaningless anyway if you know the kid is a Top 100 prospect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Looking at offers is an extremely valid and informative process when evaluating recruits. But you can't look at them alone if there's other information.

King is a very good prospect. But the fact that he was all SEC and it was a Texas A&M/Tennessee battle actually does say something regarding his prospect status. And it doesn't say "5-star". Not a big deal as he's still a good recruit and the 5-star status is fairly meaningless anyway if you know the kid is a Top 100 prospect.

SEC schools are out here throwing wads of cash at recruits and people think they would be scared to dump an average QB commit for a perceived 5 star talent? Hilarious. 

If some of those SEC schools thought King was a true 5 star talent they would have been all over him regardless of who they had committed. 

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Weren't we all upset that these guys didn't come to Texas? They were prize linemen as I recall.

No, we were desperate for anything that would help stop the bleeding. Cauterization, a tourniquet, a Band-Aid, styptic pencil, a clothes pin, anything!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No he's not. lol. He does not have 5 star talent.  

Correct. To me, he's about a Shane Buechele-level player right now. He had a lot of great athletes on his team, so he really didn't have to carry them on his shoulders. He had to lead his peers and distribute the ball- things coaches' kids are often pretty good at.

King would get destroyed in our offense. He would get carried off the field in pieces in his first game, which I'm sure is part of why we didn't recruit him. He is a much better fit with aggy's style of play.

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Correct. To me, he's about a Shane Buechele-level player right now. He had a lot of great athletes on his team, so he really didn't have to carry them on his shoulders. He had to lead his peers and distribute the ball- things coaches' kids are often pretty good at.

King would get destroyed in our offense. He would get carried off the field in pieces in his first game, which I'm sure is part of why we didn't recruit him. He is a much better fit with aggy's style of play.

I don't think aggie's 330lbs 5 guard oline is going to be much better for him. 

17 minutes ago, Scholz said:

"Fisher is a better coach than Herman..."

If only they had played each other in a bowl game or something.  Then we would know for sure.

But what if one coach had a more talented team than the other due to natural in built advantages related to the school they coached at and not necessarily their own abilities? Oh, the coach beat one of the elite new money teams with a G5 team? Fucking lol.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

I think that has happened, but if I remember right, FSU didn't want to play in that bowl so those results don't count

Note that all the Real.  Recruiting.  that jimbo did at FSU couldn’t parlay their decided talent advantage on the field and on the sidelines into a win. That’s how important the wanting to be there is. 

• Like 1