Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

44 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Luigi's latest gum-flapping actually brings up an interesting question (by accident, of course, which is the only way anything he ever says could possibly be worth reading): what will it take for Giles' name not to be mud?

I would posit that at bare minimum he needs to average landing a couple of blue chips a year for four or five years before most hard-core recruitniks would let up on him. VB is a nice get, but I will be shocked if there is a love-in for OG around here if/when he commits.

It wouldn’t take that long. Broughton/Collins this cycle and a good haul next year (say a couple of Sanders/Jackson/Burris/Adeleye) and I’d be pretty neutral.

Of course context matters. Broughton and Collins both have ties to Texas that are helping Giles. They’re recruitments we should win. And we’ll have to see how BC/Samples and other coaches are involved with them and others. Those factors will play a big role in Giles opinions. 

But generally, 2 great cycles will at least be enough for us to not assume we’re losing every DL battle. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It wouldn’t take that long. Broughton/Collins this cycle and a good haul next year (say a couple of Sanders/Jackson/Burris/Adeleye) and I’d be pretty neutral.

Well, as of right now the only one of those 4 that we look good for is Sanders.  But Jordon Thomas is a stud and we look good for him.  Shemar Turner looks like a grown man and won the DL MVP at the Dallas Opening and is a heavy Texas lean ( high 3* now, definite 4* down the road ).  Sorry for 2021 derailment.

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well, as of right now the only one of those 4 that we look good for is Sanders.  But Jordon Thomas is a stud and we look good for him.  Shemar Turner looks like a grown man and won the DL MVP at the Dallas Opening and is a heavy Texas lean ( high 3* now, definite 4* down the road ).  Sorry for 2021 derailment.

Yeah I don’t really know how we’re doing with 2021 DL. I just named the guys I could think of off the top of my head. It’s also super early so who knows how it shakes out. 

14 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Of course context matters. Broughton and Collins both have ties to Texas that are helping Giles. They’re recruitments we should win. And we’ll have to see how BC/Samples and other coaches are involved with them and others. Those factors will play a big role in Giles opinions. 

But generally, 2 great cycles will at least be enough for us to not assume we’re losing every DL battle. 

It will take me a long time. Collins is a legacy. I will concede Broughton as a Giles pickup even when I know he’s getting lots of help. It would take a couple cycles of first choice highly ranked recruits being like man, I really connect with Giles, he’s a big part of the reason I’m going to Texas. Not this fumbling down the stretch bullshit we see every year, when the rest of the staff holds his hand to the finish line. 

26 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

2:20;dr

The video begins to play. Use the video controls that appear to control the playback. Tap the Pause button to pause the video; tap Play to restart the video. Drag the button on the Progress bar to jump forward or backward in the video. Adjust the volume by dragging the Volume slider.

Damon Sayles just posted this article on 247

Spoiler

Houston defensive tackle Vernon Broughton will celebrate his birthday on Monday. He is expected to announce his verbal commitment by way of a video either on his birthday or the day after.

A commitment from the Cy Ridge High School four-star lineman would put the Aggies at 241.95 points. He has Texas A&M and Texas as his top two, and his pledge alone would be good enough for the Aggies to jump from No. 12 to No. 8, ahead of Miami, Florida and Oklahoma in the top 10.

A Broughton commitment also would be another recruiting win for the Aggies over the Longhorns.

Longview (Texas) High School's Haynes King has been relatively quiet all week regarding his commitment. Once thought to announce his college plans before the start of the Elite 11 Finals, King has used extra days to finalize his process, one that includes Texas A&M, Tennessee, Auburn and Duke as a final four.

King could make a verbal commitment at any time, and the Aggies are hoping to score big with this four-star talent. If it happens this week, along with landing Broughton, the Aggies will jump to 252.47 points. That would mean Texas A&M jumps to the No. 6 spot, ahead of Georgia and roughly a half of a point behind Notre Dame for the No. 5 position.

Kristian Story is something of a wildcard regarding Texas A&M recruiting, but the Lanett, Alabama, four-star athlete is set to announce his commitment on Thursday. Story has Texas A&M and Alabama as his top two.

Story, ranked as a national top-10 athlete, has said the Aggies will allow him to play quarterback. He also can be serviceable as a wide receiver or a defensive back at 6-foot-1 and 206 pounds. Alabama holds a significant edge in Story's 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions, but if Story commits to the Aggies and joins Broughton and King, Texas A&M will move to the No. 5 spot in the team rankings, ahead of Notre Dame.

21COMMENTS

It'll take a lot for the Aggies to catch the top four teams of Clemson (currently 297.92 points), Alabama (287.11), LSU (283.22) and Ohio State (282.36), but the chase is on for Jimbo Fisher and the rest of his coaching staff. Plus, with only 15 commitments -- 18 if you count these three -- there's still plenty of room for the Aggies to grow between now and the early signing period in December.

But for the upcoming week, the Aggies are hoping to have everything go their way in order to make a huge jump in the national rankings. It is definitely possible in a matter of less than 100 hours.

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975d2b928e756f746d6f

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Luigi's latest gum-flapping actually brings up an interesting question (by accident, of course, which is the only way anything he ever says could possibly be worth reading): what will it take for Giles' name not to be mud?

I would posit that at bare minimum he needs to average landing a couple of blue chips a year for four or five years before most hard-core recruitniks would let up on him. VB is a nice get, but I will be shocked if there is a love-in for OG around here if/when he commits.

It’s not worth the time or energy to go into a Giles debate again, especially when you know fully well this doesn’t come down to Giles for VB or Collins. You’re a bleeding heart hippy at your core, and I am fine with it, but it manifests sometimes with this kind of silliness.

There has been a ton of help applied to the Broughton recruitment in the last two weeks. They let sweet Oscar run things himself for as long as they could, but losing Broughton became an obvious and unpalatable problem and so others showed up and Giles was able to breathe a sigh of relief and go back to his nap. Giles is still the guy on Collins, so he might actually close that guy. He was a perfect fit for Sweat. Maybe our hope should be that every year, we get really fucking lucky with at least one hi-po guy?

In the end though, why is this a topic? You flat out know he’s a fucking lazy recruiter. So why would we ever go back to the ignorance of thinking he has a clue or any ambition when it comes to recruiting?

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

In the end though, why is this a topic? You flat out know he’s a fucking lazy recruiter. So why would we ever go back to the ignorance of thinking he has a clue or any ambition when it comes to recruiting?

That was kinda my point, you crotchety coelacanth. I posited that landing Broughton quite rightly won't do jack shit for Giles' reputation. He'd need to produce at a high level for a long time to do that. Luigi thinks that's us shitting on a productive recruiter, but then Luigi also thinks his chin pubes are socially acceptable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'll have you know that hustle never sleeps.

Part of what I derive my entertainment from on the boards has always been the scenarios when my apparent bullshit gets called en masse by the randoms. I hope/expect some dipshit will show up if Broughton commits tomorrow and bump my Oscar Giles thread, telling me what an idiot I am. 

57 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It will take me a long time. Collins is a legacy. I will concede Broughton as a Giles pickup even when I know he’s getting lots of help. It would take a couple cycles of first choice highly ranked recruits being like man, I really connect with Giles, he’s a big part of the reason I’m going to Texas. Not this fumbling down the stretch bullshit we see every year, when the rest of the staff holds his hand to the finish line. 

I feel like I should add that I'm just saying a couple cycles of really strong showings could sway opinion enough so that we don't assume we're losing every DL. I was just answering the question about what it would take for his name "not to be mud." I don't think Giles will ever be a plus recruiter. And again the context around all the recruitments will be pretty important. If 20 and 21 both go down like 18, we'll still be dogging him even though our DL room will be in good shape.

Drayton and Beck both had their reputations totally reversed in two cycles. It can happen that quickly. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

1 minute ago, Chili dog said:

This is what I look forward to the most, assuming it happens. 

I look forward to the relief of knowing a position of need has been filled. The years of Texas wandering the desert have been rendered somewhat less unpalatable by reflecting on the inadequacies of the li'l farming school, but all the same, I'd rather just get back to winning a lot of games.

6 hours ago, golfclap said:

Jordan Jefferson with an interesting tweet 

9326666.png

Nick Saban is scared to death facing a future DT combo of Jefferson and Raikes.  But I'm thrilled if this is indeed true.  I do find it hilarious that they are looking to replace his spot on offense with another Guard.

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Part of what I derive my entertainment from on the boards has always been the scenarios when my apparent bullshit gets called en masse by the randoms. I hope/expect some dipshit will show up if Broughton commits tomorrow and bump my Oscar Giles thread, telling me what an idiot I am. 

One of these days SLX is going to reappear here and give you the argument you both want and deserve.

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There has been a ton of help applied to the Broughton recruitment in the last two weeks. 

1st. I know nothing of recruiting. All my stuff is from here. 

Honest? ctj. How do you know this. Do you have contact with staff? I like bravado but not sure whether to believe it. 

2 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

1st. I know nothing of recruiting. All my stuff is from here. 

Honest? ctj. How do you know this. Do you have contact with staff? I like bravado but not sure whether to believe it. 

He worships Jobu.  

I come to this thread for the best and most entertaining discussion of Texas recruiting .(I know it's the A&M thread. I know it's sad that this is the best thread on the recruiting board to read about Texas.) Please don't let the tired shit from the Texas 2020 thread metastasize into the Jimbo thread.

Continue to infect the Texas thread or the Giles thread with this plague.

I don't think I'm asking much.

20 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

.dd895bf7e93d9e4c34dc07d25cb2fe7d.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

1.) Hamm don’t know shit 

2.) If his sources are commits it means officially burned every bridge and connection he’s made in the industry

3.) Commits to schools always think they’re getting someone

• Like 1

Hamm has nothing to lose at this point. His reputation is already in the tank; if it turns out he was just being led on yet again, people will continue to ignore him.

If not, he'll be coasting on this "win" for months and will probably be able to convince a handful of rubes that he knows something about recruiting. Not a bad lottery ticket to buy, honestly. I too agree that this could go either way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That was kinda my point, you crotchety coelacanth. I posited that landing Broughton quite rightly won't do jack shit for Giles' reputation. He'd need to produce at a high level for a long time to do that. Luigi thinks that's us shitting on a productive recruiter, but then Luigi also thinks his chin pubes are socially acceptable.

His chin pubes may not be socially acceptable, but they help prevent chaffing when he's working the glory hole.

All of you assuming broughton to Texas probably need to reserve your celebrations until after his selection. 

These 9.95 aggy dipshits don’t know a thing and just because they don’t feel comfortable all of a sudden doesn’t mean he’s picking Texas. I could see aggy doing this to try and drum up some momentum.

It will either be the troll of a lifetime or a delight to watch aggy karen get torn to shreds.

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Hamm relying on commits lead to his 0-15 article.

Hamm's only sources left are the few trainers who will still talk to him, chief among them FWK who does train VB. Hamm doesn't talk to the recruits anymore, so he avoids getting fucking played as a fanboi a la 0-15. So this tweet/info very well could be sourced from FWK, or it could be Hamm grasping/guessing in an attempt to win back some idiots. He's got literally nothing to lose either way.