2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

Update:
Going through the longest stretch of "expected" summer weather (i.e. hot and dry), but that's going to change as usual.  If we'll hit 100°, it'll be today or tomorrow (yesterday was 99° which is the norm for this day).  But the big high that's rolled over us, just like the rest of this summer, just doesn't park - it moves around a lot and it's moving west again by Wed.  Very slowly though... highs each day will be slightly cooler, mid 90's to lower 90's by Fri-Sat.  The reason we're not going past 100° is all the tons of moisture in the ground and to some degree the plants etc. which are all pumped full of water now and emit a good deal of O2 keeping ground temps down.

Saturday the same scenario we've seen - high moves west, jet takes a dip, and fronts can actually come down into Texas.  This looks to be the case on Sat. and Sunday where rain chances are decent.  But the main thing is the temps - again low 90's if not high 80's - in the hottest stretch of the summer.

More later if necessary.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Update:
Going through the longest stretch of "expected" summer weather (i.e. hot and dry), but that's going to change as usual.  If we'll hit 100°, it'll be today or tomorrow (yesterday was 99° which is the norm for this day).  But the big high that's rolled over us, just like the rest of this summer, just doesn't park - it moves around a lot and it's moving west again by Wed.  Very slowly though... highs each day will be slightly cooler, mid 90's to lower 90's by Fri-Sat.  The reason we're not going past 100° is all the tons of moisture in the ground and to some degree the plants etc. which are all pumped full of water now and emit a good deal of O2 keeping ground temps down.

Saturday the same scenario we've seen - high moves west, jet takes a dip, and fronts can actually come down into Texas.  This looks to be the case on Sat. and Sunday where rain chances are decent.  But the main thing is the temps - again low 90's if not high 80's - in the hottest stretch of the summer.

More later if necessary.

So, it's gonna be hot and wet?

Go on.....

Update:

Look for rain to fall after lunch.  Big complex coming in now from NW of us but honestly it's 60% it'll get here before evaporating.  We could get that, but especially when the sun heats the frontal boundary that's around us, storms will pop up.  Best chance today between lunch and dinner.  This little cool front will be shorter lasting than the previous ones, but holy crap, it's mid-August and we get this?  Who in god's name would ever, ever, ever complain even if a few drops?

Highs low 90's today but even by tomorrow mid-90's.

One more less decent chance for rain tomorrow, mainly afternoon, then start moving back to dry and warm.  However, could get some rain from Grace but too early to know, and usually we don't do well with those long-track Atlantic storms lately.  Best chance for us to top the 100° mark will probably happen starting next weekend.  But with this summer, who knows what's around the corner?

Finally, big day yesterday - after daily normal highs of 99°, our hottest avg. temps of the year, yesterday's was 98°.  Meaning we've begun our winter shift - temp norms will continue to go down now through about Feb. when they hit the low 60's.  Yeah, "big day", not really, but we do have the seasonal cooling kicking in, however gradually.  Of course as we know from 2 years ago, September can easily have daily highs > 100° all month (I think we had 29 100°+ days) but we had a pretty good boost from a fiery August - which is anything but what we have so far.

So today-tomorrow should be a good respite, if brief.

• Like 1

I have no idea how close it was but there was a lightning strike that seemed like it was in my front yard. Bright flash of light with instantaneous really loud crack. 

I now realize my dumbass had my cable modem and wireless router just plugged into the wall, as my wireless router is zapped. Fuck me for not having them on a surge protector. Off to best buy I go. Cable modem showing signs of life, so hopefully all I need is a new router. 

21 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I have no idea how close it was but there was a lightning strike that seemed like it was in my front yard. Bright flash of light with instantaneous really loud crack. 

I now realize my dumbass had my cable modem and wireless router just plugged into the wall, as my wireless router is zapped. Fuck me for not having them on a surge protector. Off to best buy I go. Cable modem showing signs of life, so hopefully all I need is a new router. 

I have my networking and NAS on a UPS, which will alert/email me whenever there are power fluctuation.  Great for when we have power outages since we usually still have internet for several hours.

But until I got a UPS which emails me about power issues, I never realized just how many times everything flickers.

That would explain the "Stay the Fuck Out for the next 48 hours" email I just got from them.  I guess I'm gonna miss my middle age water aerobics class tomorrow.  

Wow, we gotta lot of rain in Central Austin but that's something altogether different.  

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Meanwhile I can’t get a drop of rain at my house. Once again, storms are all around me but not one fucking drop here.

I guess the whining worked because we ended up getting a nice shower shortly after this post.  I'm hoping for some more tomorrow!

That would explain the "Stay the Fuck Out for the next 48 hours" email I just got from them.  I guess I'm gonna miss my middle age water aerobics class tomorrow.  
Wow, we gotta lot of rain in Central Austin but that's something altogether different.  

I was in mccombs today. Only the regular leaks at every entrance and the atrium roof/water feature. There is a leak over that info screen at the plaza entrance that nobody seems worried about. Pretty sure Little E is secretly hoping the place burns down so he gets his new building. Oh and that bridge to Legacy is a pond right now. Don’t advise crossing unless you’re looking for a good worker’s comp claim.

40 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Round Rock stayed drier than Ben Shapiro's wife. Guess I'll have to hit up the car wash to knock the bird shit off my truck. Thanks Oba...err Biden.

Why you gotta be getting all political about rainfall yo?  There's an easy Storm joke in here somewhere

10 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

I was in mccombs today. Only the regular leaks at every entrance and the atrium roof/water feature. There is a leak over that info screen at the plaza entrance that nobody seems worried about. Pretty sure Little E is secretly hoping the place burns down so he gets his new building. Oh and that bridge to Legacy is a pond right now. Don’t advise crossing unless you’re looking for a good worker’s comp claim.

Who is Little E?  I do know they want to overhaul that half of the building, if not the whole thing.