Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

21 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Looks like Wiggins will be the guy at WR, but in case he wants to stick at Bama it looks like Tee Martin may be out of a job soon. Guess the Tennessee admin is trying to find  dirt on Pruitt so they can fire him for cause. 

Sheesh, talk about a toxic work environment

23 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Looks like Wiggins will be the guy at WR, but in case he wants to stick at Bama it looks like Tee Martin may be out of a job soon. Guess the Tennessee admin is trying to find  dirt on Pruitt so they can fire him for cause. 

I know we are impatient af and lamented the process of canning Herman, but I’m damn impressed with how it all turned out. Radio silence for weeks. Then boom, Tom fired, Sark hired. None of this hiring lawyers like Tennessee or Auburn striking out in public. 

• Like 2

TFB

Spoiler

This past weekend, we mentioned recently hired Arkansas State OC, AJ Milwee as a possible candidate for a position on the staff (link here):

Source added, “Sark is trying to take a few guys from Bama that Butch (Jones) wanted. AJ Milwee, a real up and comer on the offense as a position coach and maybe future OC”

This morning Football Scoop appears to be reporting that this is now a done deal saying, in part, “Sources tell FootballScoop that AJ Milwee is set to come aboard as quarterbacks coach.”

See the full report here.

They seem to also be saying that the Kyle Flood deal is done, as well, although that isn’t quite as clear in the article. I have checked with my Bama source on that and am waiting to hear back. That’s the big hire. Texas has struggled for a long time to really get the offensive line right. And if Flood can do that – and I believe he can – then it will resolve a lot of the issues Texas has had the past, well, decade.

Gabe is certainly happy about this Milwee hire. He’s liked him going back a few years. And I will say Gabe was advocating for Texas hire Lincoln Riley away from East Carolina the year before the Sooners did, so hopefully his excitement about Milwee is a good sign.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

When I hear Babers asking if Sark is a clear upgrade and saying that Sark and Herman are pretty much the same guys so why make the change, then that makes me think he thinks something other than football acumen is the deciding factor.  I'm not saying he is right but I can see where some could take it poorly.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not to quibble, but I remember Albert Means at 80k. Cam Newton was 200k, I thought, and Waddle was definitely 200k. I'm not sure there's a magic ceiling. 

Googling, Means was $115k, or $200k depending on the source. But I remember way way back then and I forget on which board when someone asked about Albert Means to Texas a cryptic post saying that he would NOT come to Texas and a "Ford Exedition is a nice car". The poster never elaborated on the Expedition part until years later when it was revealed that a new Ford Expedition was part of the deal.

Just now, MoJames said:

And are we highlighting him yellow?

His wiki still hasn't changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Flood#:~:text=Kyle J. Flood (born January,of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

Kyle J. Flood (born January 20, 1971) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the offensive line coach for the Texas Longhorns of the Big 12 Conference. He is also the former head football coach of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Hide contents

This past weekend, we mentioned recently hired Arkansas State OC, AJ Milwee as a possible candidate for a position on the staff (link here):

Source added, “Sark is trying to take a few guys from Bama that Butch (Jones) wanted. AJ Milwee, a real up and comer on the offense as a position coach and maybe future OC”

This morning Football Scoop appears to be reporting that this is now a done deal saying, in part, “Sources tell FootballScoop that AJ Milwee is set to come aboard as quarterbacks coach.”

See the full report here.

They seem to also be saying that the Kyle Flood deal is done, as well, although that isn’t quite as clear in the article. I have checked with my Bama source on that and am waiting to hear back. That’s the big hire. Texas has struggled for a long time to really get the offensive line right. And if Flood can do that – and I believe he can – then it will resolve a lot of the issues Texas has had the past, well, decade.

Gabe is certainly happy about this Milwee hire. He’s liked him going back a few years. And I will say Gabe was advocating for Texas hire Lincoln Riley away from East Carolina the year before the Sooners did, so hopefully his excitement about Milwee is a good sign.

Again Flood would be huge to me. Haven't been this pumped for Oline stuff since we had coaches talking about "Dancing Bears"

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

When I hear Babers asking if Sark is a clear upgrade and saying that Sark and Herman are pretty much the same guys so why make the change, then that makes me think he thinks something other than football acumen is the deciding factor.  I'm not saying he is right but I can see where some could take it poorly.

I think he is looking at it at surface level and overreacting

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/3/2021 at 5:12 PM, blacklab said:

this thread is not about herman, I'll let the posts above slide as they are tangentically on topic, but need to stop with talking about herman

While I'm impressed that you have taught your dog to type, I think the word you are looking for is tangentially.  Again, kudos for teaching one of the most intelligent dogs to log in and convey your thoughts, but we're going to need for you to

GET BETTER DUDE

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

How enchubbed should I be about Kyle Flood on a scale of 1 to 10?

It's about as close to a perfect hire as you're going to get there. Don't hire him as head coach of a certain Garden State flagship university's football team, but as an OL coach he's a slam dunk.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, burdine said:

If Babers is really being that lazy in considering Sark and Herman are the same guy.....I mean to read idiots that know nothing on this board or their equivalents in the media say it is one thing....But I thought Babers had more actual football sense than this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

If Babers is really being that lazy in considering Sark and Herman are the same guy.....I mean to read idiots that know nothing on this board or their equivalents in the media say it is one thing....But I thought Babers had more actual football sense than this.

I think he hadnt had time to digest IMO. Wanted to fire from the hip instead, him and Herman were not tight thats for sure

6 minutes ago, burdine said:

It's also about perception.  This is a roster that should coast to 10+ wins next season.  Under Herman, there probably isn't much excitement if that includes a loss to OU and no Conference Championship.  With the exact same results under Sark, suddenly we are labeled a program on the rise and a team that recruits will want to play for.  (Not to mention, the fact that he's infinitely more likable than Tom.)

Obviously I hope for better results than that, but this factor cannot be ignored.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Or, it might just put into perspective the enormity of Tom’s cockfacedness

Tom burned bridges at a truly incredible rate, and not by stepping on toes, more like kicking in the balls.  I’m no Mr. Insider, but everyone hated him and it’s quite frankly impressive to get that group to agree on anything

Enormity, meaning great wickedness and not large size, works.

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean on his 2020 commit list @ 247, he is listed as the primary or secondary on 3 top 200 dudes (and a fourth that was #209)

2019: 2 top 200 dudes but only 3 overall? only showing primary?

2018: 3 top 155 dudes but only 3 overall? only showing primary?

2017: 6 top 150 players including 2 5*

2016: 7 top 150 players including 2 5*

Hmmm.  Ok, thanks for posting.  Guess I just lazily assumed he had dropped off since scuttlebutt was that Tennessee and their fanbase apparently was fine with letting him go elsewhere.  Guess it truly must just be because of the drama within their coaching ranks.  

15 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Again Flood would be huge to me. Haven't been this pumped for Oline stuff since we had coaches talking about "Dancing Bears"

I don't remember "dancing bears," (other than Henry Melton, in my mind) but I was super pumped about us utilizing the blocking sled once again back during the Mack era.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Zach Barnett reporting that Banks is staying at Alabama. 

and so the crash back to reality begins. you'd think after we had all these super high iq smokescreen head coaching scenarios being proposed we wouldn't buy into the hype until something is actually announced, but hope springs eternal I guess

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Viper said:

and so the crash back to reality begins. you'd think after we had all these super high iq smokescreen head coaching scenarios being proposed we wouldn't buy into the hype until something is actually announced, but hope springs eternal I guess

Yes it is a crash back to reality but at least Sark is aiming high on his staff.  That makes me optimistic.

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Yes it is a crash back to reality but at least Sark is aiming high on his staff.  That makes me optimistic.

There is always Tim Brewster at Florida who may be wanting to get out of there with possible HC change. It's not a UT assistant coaching search without his name for sure!

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don't remember "dancing bears," (other than Henry Melton, in my mind) but I was super pumped about us utilizing the blocking sled once again back during the Mack era.

I believe Tim Nunez called Leonard Davis the dancing bear.... a little further back then you were thinking.

"Fans shouldn't lazily assign Wiggins credit for the studs they've produced at the position." 

Well no fucking shit,Nahlin. We shouldn't give Sark any credit either. Or Saban. Or Mac Jones.

Edited by Eggo

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I’m lower on Wiggins than most of the other names rumored at the position. I hope he goes elsewhere at that spot. 

Sucks it’s a no on Banks. I don’t think we’ve heard many other names at TE. 

Whats the negative on Wiggins?  2022 recruits seem to love him and by all accounts he has done an awesome job at Bama both coaching and recruiting?

There may be bigger fish out there, but I don't see a negative to Wiggins.

If Banks doesn't come it is disappointing, but there are other rainmaker recruiters you can stick at TE.

1 hour ago, RandomIdoit said:

Doesn’t Banks coach ST also? I think he did at aggy. 

He is supposedly a better special teams coach than TE. He was also the interim head coach at aggy for the 2017 Belk Bowl after Sumlin was fired. aggy lost the bowl game of course.