Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If he is retiring, you’d think sark would take that job instead of texas.  Yes it’s following a legend, but it’s also taking over a well running machine vs taking over a collection of parts.  
...unless they reached out to dabo and got a yes, and told sark he wasn’t getting it. 

One thing that actually gives me hope for this hire is Sark's acceptance of a challenge. I sorta follow UW football because of some friends, and I remember when Sark took that job. I was impressed because he was one of the real up-and-comers as OC at USC and had a lot of national buzz around his name. He probably could have waited for a cushier job than UW, but actually agreed to move all the way up to Seattle to take on a hapless program that hadn't won a game the previous year. I love that he didn't shy away from a massive challenge and that he seemed humble enough to leave the glamor of USC for the Pacific Northwest. Of course, he left to go back to USC, but who could blame him when that job came calling? 

Maybe he's excited for the challenge to try to restore a rusty formerly great program that still has a lot of upside. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

I think everyone was saying he did a lot with less talent than most SEC teams and could do a lot more with our more. But not like the OL coach Flood that did more with more talent , but will still do more with our less talent. 

Well, more, more or less.

19 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Why the hell would Sark want Barry Odom as defensive coordinator? Arkansas defense was worse than ours emoji35.png

He got it from 120 to 60th in one year, against an all SEC schedule, with almost zero talent on the field.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nowhichski said:

One thing that actually gives me hope for this hire is Sark's acceptance of a challenge. I sorta follow UW football because of some friends, and I remember when Sark took that job. I was impressed because he was one of the real up-and-comers as OC at USC and had a lot of national buzz around his name. He probably could have waited for a cushier job than UW, but actually agreed to move all the way up to Seattle to take on a hapless program that hadn't won a game the previous year. I love that he didn't shy away from a massive challenge and that he seemed humble enough to leave the glamor of USC for the Pacific Northwest. Of course, he left to go back to USC, but who could blame him when that job came calling? 

Maybe he's excited for the challenge to try to restore a rusty formerly great program that still has a lot of upside. 

Also his experience at those 2 programs plus his time as an assistant should make it easy to transition into the pressures of this job.

48 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

No way Saban would let his OC, OL, WR, and TE coaches all leave at the same time. Unless whoever his new OC is would demand his own staff, just seems like way too much turnover for Alabama

Well Sarkisian, Flood, and Wiggins all came to Bama in the same offseason, and Banks was there 1 year prior. Saban's staffs are used to turnover. When you hire competent assistants that kick ass at their jobs, they aren't staying for long.

10 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

I think everyone was saying he did a lot with less talent than most SEC teams and could do a lot more with our more. But not like the OL coach Flood that did more with more talent , but will still do more with our less talent. 

Love Hostels cool minimal minimalism hostel GIF

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's also about perception.  This is a roster that should coast to 10+ wins next season.  Under Herman, there probably isn't much excitement if that includes a loss to OU and no Conference Championship.  With the exact same results under Sark, suddenly we are labeled a program on the rise and a team that recruits will want to play for.  (Not to mention, the fact that he's infinitely more likable than Tom.)

Obviously I hope for better results than that, but this factor cannot be ignored.

Herman had to go

• The #17 Nationally Ranked 2021 Recruiting Class
  • Only 1 Top 25 recruit in State of Texas signed in 2021 Class
  • Horrible outlook for 2022 Class

Reported that TEXAS kicked the tires on Sark, Campbell, and B.Kelly, and probably found Sark to be best combination of fit and willingness to accept the job.

I'm cool with it -- Let's Fuckin' Go !!!  🤘

16 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

Not to be confused with the more he did with Rutgers less O-line

Good luck if Tee Martin comes to Austin as WR coach. His time at USC was lackluster to say the least. He had monster WRs, but there was no development past raw talent. No separation, if they didn’t out-talent the DBs, the passing game suffered. Was known for recruiting and not much else. His stint as OC was a train-wreck. Just an observation on my part. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Didn’t you say the same thing about Odom! Lol

I dont think I was ever too high on Odom but I do have a tendency to indulge on alcoholic beverages so who knows. I would prefer Arnett to anyone currently mentioned besides Boom. He was up for the Broyles award but I think he just got extended by MSU

2 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Good luck if Tee Martin comes to Austin as WR coach. His time at USC was lackluster to say the least. He had monster WRs, but there was no development past raw talent. No separation, if they didn’t out-talent the DBs, the passing game suffered. Was known for recruiting and not much else. His stint as OC was a train-wreck. Just an observation on my part. 

Sounds familiar

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Holy shit.  I remember walking by the Sigma Nu house wondering who the sick fucks were that did that to that kid.  I never realized it was him.

Fucking terrible. The guy’s a sociopath. 

Hamm dragged a Sigma Nu pledge around by the scrotum with the claw of a hammer, allegedly, for those who are lost. 

Edited by Chili dog
Punctuation

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I dont think I was ever too high on Odom but I do have a tendency to indulge on alcoholic beverages so who knows. I would prefer Arnett to anyone currently mentioned besides Boom. He was up for the Broyles award but I think he just got extended by MSU

I know it’s a pipe dream but would Arnett be the best choice if we’re trying to squeeze Tosh and Raymond in there?

Arnett Co-DC/LB (lead play caller)

Tosh Co-DC/DL

Raymond - DB/passing game coordinator 

1 minute ago, Chili dog said:

Hamm dragged a Sigma Nu pledge around by the scrotum with the claw of a hammer, allegedly, for those who are lost. 

At least he didn't rip the nutsack off like those sooners did in that Oklahoma bar incident several years back.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Just keep Ash around - he's already under contract, players know his system, and he has some familiarity with the various big 12 offenses.

We heard you the first three times. Take your Chris Ash love to Reddit. 

2 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

I know it’s a pipe dream but would Arnett be the best choice if we’re trying to squeeze Tosh and Raymond in there?

Arnett Co-DC/LB (lead play caller)

Tosh Co-DC/DL

Raymond - DB/passing game coordinator 

Shiiiit.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do you guys have some kind of link affiliate deal with SI or what?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

And the secondary reason for his firing wouldn’t be his response to the eyes thing or whatever else. It’d be him being a noted asshole who made no allies and built exactly zero relationships with anyone who would go to bat for him in a situation like the one he found himself in this year. If he was less of a prick, maybe people would be more willing to cut him some slack for performance in a weird year and wouldn’t look to him as a scapegoat for the eyes issue. But he wasn’t and here we are.

How do you know this? are you a player, coach, or directly work inside the football department?

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Went down my freshman year there. Knew a couple of pledge brothers of the kid. Think they found him in a closet if I remember correctly. Smh 

Under aggy chad they fucking suuuuuuuucked.  And he drastically improved it.   His track record is very solid (stats somewhere upthread).

I haven’t researched his career but last year his Arky defense finished 106th in total defense. If that’s chicken salad then it tastes like crap.

We finished 62nd, I don’t know what Arky drastically improved from but 106th sucks, unless your league has 1000 teams in it...
  • Hook 'Em 1