Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

7 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

The priority should be paying those assistants.

Choice and Choate need big raises, Bo is already a top paid DL coach. Joseph and Gideon need to earn it a bit more. Let’s give Jackson another year to see how that is trending. Even Mehringer would look good with Worthy, Mitchell, and JWhit.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

FYI...  Assistants comp from Feb 2023

• Becton February 2025. His annual base salary will remain at $550,000.
  • Choate  February 2025. His annual base salary will increase by 8.7 % annually, rising to $625,000 in 2023 and $675,000 in 2024.
  • Choice  February 2025. His annual base salary will remain at $550,000.
  • Gideon  February 2025. His annual base salary will remain at $475,000.
  • Flood  February 2026. His annual base salary will increase by 6% annually, rising to $1.33 million in 2024 and $1.4 million in 2025.
  • Joseph  February 2025. His annual base salary will remain at $800,000.
  • Kwiatkowski   February 2025.  His annual base salary will remain at $1.7 million.
  • Milwee  February 2025. His annual base salary will increase by 13.3%, rising to $425,000 in 2023 and 2024.
  • Defensive line coach Bo Davis ($1.0 mill) and assistant head coach/special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Jeff Banks  ($1.1 mill) both received a raise and one-year extension last offseason. Their current employment agreements run through February 2025.
  • Additionally, Texas on Jan. 24 hired former Jacksonville Jaguars assistant Chris Jackson as its new passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. Details of Jackson’s contract have not yet been released.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

playoffs and championships get huge competitive bonus

Isn’t that usually the case now? Usually a good bonus structure for winning championships, how far coaches advance in postseason tournaments, winning it all. 

6 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

The two most horrible college coaching mistakes.

• The stupid, panic-response contract extension: SEE TOM HERMANN AND AGGY
  • The stupid, "let's hire the interim coach after the emotional bowl-game win. SEE EVERYONE

In terms of horrible extensions, Tom Herman’s 2-year extension where he wasn’t even given a raise (the extra two years were at the same 250k annual increase that he was already receiving) ranks pretty low.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Isn’t that usually the case now? Usually a good bonus structure for winning championships, how far coaches advance in postseason tournaments, winning it all. 

It's definitely part of the structure but compared to executive compensation in other industries its small. 

Most certainly make most of their compensation from incentives , not from salary 

I'd go as far as say stacking bonuses for rounds of playoffs and championships , multi year bonuses for consistency. 

Things that drive the coaches for success.

This is in stark contrast to the golden albatros type contracts schools like A$M are giving out. I do not understand or agree with guaranteed money when performance can't be guaranteed 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Choice and Choate need big raises, Bo is already a top paid DL coach. Joseph and Gideon need to earn it a bit more. Let’s give Jackson another year to see how that is trending. Even Mehringer would look good with Worthy, Mitchell, and JWhit.

No he wouldn't because he would play Cain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/19/2023 at 1:47 PM, Davis Lane said:

I don't recall the players as cohesive as they are in regards to the last three coaches.

Things changed immediately after year one with Sark, i.e. Bo Davis rant.

Bo Davis going off like he did would have been a bad look on the head coach in years past.

Sark is different and I believe he genuinely holds his "second chance" to heart.

For everyone that doubts him, or hates him/dislikes him playcalling, well, look at the team perform.

This team does not fold when faced with adversity. 

They just keep on.

So....any parents that are contemplating sending their children to the University of Texas to play football and get an education, should watch this.

This is our coach, folks.

Impressive dude. Great coach. Haters can indeed fuck off.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

How anyone can watch that, see where the program is this season, and still shit on him, is mind numbing.

We had a lot of “post traumatic Mack disorder” to work through. Then the Fools gold from CS & Mensa boy triggered us and left some in trauma shock. Piling on Sark early when he still had to clean out the Herman stench wasn’t fair. But understandable. Forget it Jake, it’s SurlyTown.
Maybe now we can appreciate the progress. Actually support Sark and the players. They still gotta do their jobs tho. After all, they’re gettin paid more than most of us. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I like Sark.  My only real beef is that I think he should hire an OC/play-caller.

It's a nit, but I'm just not a fan of HCs also being coordinators.  

I understand that. It’s just not in his DNA. I’d like to think that as he gets “beyond 50” he realizes that and brings up someone that gets his playcalling duties that he can trust. For now it’s him and I’m okay with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Finally!!!!

Aggy will be in the top 10 for who know how many consecutive weeks.

Whoop!

Process, you stupid sips!

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Great stuff from Sark...  Thx "TexEx15"

Hook'em 🤘

Wow.

This comes from a man who was forced to face, and then chose to face, his own demons. As alcoholism was stripping away everything most of us hold dear, for reasons we cannot possibly understand, Sark was granted a second chance at life. For his own redemption.

The scientific community cannot fully explain why some people recover and many others don't. The persons with whom I have spoken who struggle with addiction issues or mental health issues, explain that even after recovery, the demon is still there every day.  They have just either discovered or had revealed to them stronger coping mechanisms to keep that demon at bay. Every day.

Sark has already overcome perhaps the largest obstacle he will ever face. That is the type of man you want leading your program. That is the type of man you want inspiring the young men on the team.

People will always bitch and whine and gripe and complain about Sark. After all, it is so much easier to stay on the sidelines throwing rocks at the man in the arena. (and besides, we are Surlytians... that's what we do!)

But, the vibe surrounding this team, its "culture" is reminiscent of a past time of success.

Toxicity is gone. A new era with all of its potential and promise of pride and greatness is here.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Wow.

This comes from a man who was forced to face, and then chose to face, his own demons. As alcoholism was stripping away everything most of us hold dear, for reasons we cannot possibly understand, Sark was granted a second chance at life. For his own redemption.

The scientific community cannot fully explain why some people recover and many others don't. The persons with whom I have spoken who struggle with addiction issues or mental health issues, explain that even after recovery, the demon is still there every day.  They have just either discovered or had revealed to them stronger coping mechanisms to keep that demon at bay. Every day.

Sark has already overcome perhaps the largest obstacle he will ever face. That is the type of man you want leading your program. That is the type of man you want inspiring the young men on the team.

People will always bitch and whine and gripe and complain about Sark. After all, it is so much easier to stay on the sidelines throwing rocks at the man in the arena. (and besides, we are Surlytians... that's what we do!)

But, the vibe surrounding this team, its "culture" is reminiscent of a past time of success.

Toxicity is gone. A new era with all of its potential and promise of pride and greatness is here.

Great post.

I love Sark being our football coach.

That culture video is one of the best things I have ever heard any coach say in my old ass life.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

For all the talk about how we do less with more, Sark is a steal on this list.

Texas was very smart to start "low" and let Sark prove himself first. 5 wins -> 8 wins -> 10+ wins will get him a nice bump of 2-3 million and into the top 15/20. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Bobby Layne said:

We had a lot of “post traumatic Mack disorder” to work through. Then the Fools gold from CS & Mensa boy triggered us and left some in trauma shock. Piling on Sark early when he still had to clean out the Herman stench wasn’t fair. But understandable. Forget it Jake, it’s SurlyTown.
Maybe now we can appreciate the progress. Actually support Sark and the players. They still gotta do their jobs tho. After all, they’re gettin paid more than most of us. 

In the video with ryan clark there is a moment where Sark pauses because he wants to throw herman under the bus for how awful and fucked up the program was when he took over. I like that he takes a different route and simply says it needed a lot of work. He's a mixture of the coaches he has worked for and that shows more than anything, for me anyway, that this job is not too big for him. 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas was very smart to start "low" and let Sark prove himself first. 5 wins -> 8 wins -> 10+ wins will get him a nice bump of 2-3 million and into the top 15/20. 

Seeing that stoops, heupel and kiffin all make 9, I'd be surprised if sark isn't above that next year. 

The priority should be paying those assistants.

And buying out the current ones/hiring new ones for the secondary.

Sark will have three years left on his deal after this year. I don’t think you extend at this juncture honestly but I understand the potential negative recruiting implications. If for whatever reason you feel like your hand is forced I think you offer a modest two year extension to get him back to five years. An AAV increase perhaps but not at the $9-10MM top of the market range. If Sark wants to pass on that and bet on himself thinking he’ll be in a stronger position after next season then he can make that call.

Also have to give props to Sark for going 5-0 on the road. Given his past road issues - which include some atrocious exhibitions of coaching - I didn’t trust that he would have the team well enough prepared to pull that off. Alabama win is obviously impressive and has been beaten to death, but it’s also worth noting that back to back November road wins in conference is never easy, even if the opponents are mediocre. Credit where it’s due. Even if nothing else comes out of this year that’s tangible growth.
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Compare this to burned toast, runny eggs and pee charts and see what you come up with.

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

In the video with ryan clark there is a moment where Sark pauses because he wants to throw herman under the bus for how awful and fucked up the program was when he took over.

Hearing the post-ISU culture discussion and Sark's comments, I thought of  the 2019 Baylor game. When a desperate and embattled Tom Herman decided headbutting players was his solution to turn around a lost season. Fake-ass, embarrassing, manufactured "culture." 

In looking up the game, it struck me that the Iowa State game happened at the same exact moment in Sark's tenure as the Baylor game in 2019 for Herman. Year three, penultimate regular season game.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sark is still growing as a coach... glad to see the better time management and playcalling against the cyclones.  Best game since Bama.

Hook'em 🤘

This was grear if for no other reason than to heat Craig Way's call of some the big plays in this game.  Love his enthusiasm.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fuck that guy.  What's he going to do, leave?   Who is going to give Sark a better contract than  5 years for 7mm per year?   Probably nobody. 

So, if he threatens to leave if we don’t top that number, you’re saying that we just have to walk away from the table and go find someone else for cheaper?

23 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Compare this to burned toast, runny eggs and pee charts and see what you come up with.

Reminds me of some interview mensa did early in his tenure here (dont remember when or with who). He basically admitted he played mind games (didn't use that term). Mind games are dumb, anyway; but admitting you're doing them ruins the whole point! He just couldn't resist trying to show everyone what a smart boy he was. 

• Rage+1 1

On 11/20/2023 at 8:58 PM, DixonHur said:

I like Sark.  My only real beef is that I think he should hire an OC/play-caller.

It's a nit, but I'm just not a fan of HCs also being coordinators.  

Flood came with him to Texas because he believes he's the best play caller in the country. 

I like him calling plays. The offensive savants like Andy Reid just fucking do it because they know they are the best at it and it's the most important coaching decisions in the game. 

Other than recruiting, I think the order is -

Offensive play calling

DB coaching

OL coaching

Defensive playcalling

DL coaching

Special teams

Game management

Other position groups

We all wish PK scheme wouldn't give up so much passing yards but damn our tackling and clutch plays on D are still great this season. 

Going back and watching the Iowa state game their big plays were screens thrown beyond the LOS with linemen blocking 10 yards down the field. Fucking bullshit conference. The OL was even holding a DB on one of the touchdown passes. 

Guys are running wide ass open, reverses are almost always big plays, and runs are still gashing the with no Brooks. 

Coaching is fine just need to keep upgrading on defense and OL. Injuries tore the secondary up this year we are lucky we are keeping teams under and around 20

17 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Flood came with him to Texas because he believes he's the best play caller in the country. 

I like him calling plays. The offensive savants like Andy Reid just fucking do it because they know they are the best at it and it's the most important coaching decisions in the game. 

Other than recruiting, I think the order is -

Offensive play calling

DB coaching

OL coaching

Defensive playcalling

DL coaching

Special teams

Game management

Other position groups

We all wish PK scheme wouldn't give up so much passing yards but damn our tackling and clutch plays on D are still great this season. 

Going back and watching the Iowa state game their big plays were screens thrown beyond the LOS with linemen blocking 10 yards down the field. Fucking bullshit conference. The OL was even holding a DB on one of the touchdown passes. 

Guys are running wide ass open, reverses are almost always big plays, and runs are still gashing the with no Brooks. 

Coaching is fine just need to keep upgrading on defense and OL. Injuries tore the secondary up this year we are lucky we are keeping teams under and around 20

I have heard PK say before that his defensive philosophy is predicated around points scored. He says that if he can keep opponents to 21 points or less, then the defense has played winning football. Only two times this season has Texas given up more than 26 points. With Sark averaging 30 on offense, even against the best 3-3-5 teams and schemes in the country, that equates to a lot of wins. It can be maddening at times, but it is also somehow effective. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3