Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They're looking at broad probabilities. So if they think we have a 30% chance of winning that one and a relatively high but but not 100% chance of winning the rest (I am not about to attempt this math), you end up with averaging out to 9ish. And then Texas always gets a lot of action, so make it a little higher.

Here's KFord's season infographic that neatly illustrates the idea:

DB6DA80C-8671-4D5F-8E4A-936C7CA69344.jpeg

Am I reading this correctly that we are projected to have the #1 Defense and #2 Offense in the conference? Who are they projecting higher on O? 

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This would make sense then. Blocton was going to spurn Auburn a week ago. 

More likely Robinson, allegedly. Could be anyone, but if they have 5 and got McKinley in late, I would bet on Robinson to cut bait. 

Getting the impression from Gerry that he has questions about McKinley’s motor/work ethic. Loves his talent. 

Edited by Codaxx

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just say it aloud. Austin is the most bad ass SEC city because Vandy sucks at football, and NIL. The SEC let a wolf in the henhouse. Let’s Go!

Nashville is fine, but it isn’t even close to Austin. They get compared all the time, but Austin is better in a majority of categories. Nashville has a better live music scene, and now has more bars clustered together, but that’s about it. It’s far behind in diversity, food, culture, recreational activities, and most importantly, brisket quality. Don’t even get me started on the sheer dearth of breakfast taco availability. Ladybird is all they have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Nashville is fine, but it isn’t even close to Austin. They get compared all the time, but Austin is better in a majority of categories. Nashville has a better live music scene, and now has more bars clustered together, but that’s about it. It’s far behind in diversity, food, culture, recreational activities, and most importantly, brisket quality. Don’t even get me started on the sheer dearth of breakfast taco availability. Ladybird is all they have. 

When you bring up “It’s far behind in diversity, food, culture…”

A) Is this for how recruits view the city?

B) How the school’s alums view the city?

C) Or how the traveling fans view the city?

Because I don’t think that those things impress C category at all.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How do you trend a head coach that has been a head coach for one year?  And how do you come away with the idea that his program is due to improve?

Simple:

1) Said head coach has been pumped up by the media as the next sure thing head coach.

2)  Said coach is at a blue blood program where you can't possibly struggle to win games. (See our media pumping for the last decade)

3. Said coach and school have a good relationship with national media.

Cake is baked.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

How do you trend a head coach that has been a head coach for one year?  And how do you come away with the idea that his program is due to improve?

Legitimately think most of these national writers cannot fathom a genuinely mediocre/bad OU program. Makes sense, as a lot of them weren’t alive the last time that was the case.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, this calls the whole system into question. OU returns a slightly above average QB, a questionable, transfer-laden OL, limited experience at TB and dogshit at WR and TE. Get the fuck out of here on #1 offense. Holy shit.

87a93895-63d0-4c06-9b2f-a75f1d9d4cbe_tex

Oh and....

brent-venables.gif

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Legitimately think most of these national writers cannot fathom a genuinely mediocre/bad OU program. Makes sense, as a lot of them weren’t alive the last time that was the case.

National media has been sucking OU off since I can remember which is nearing 40 years. Not at all surprised.

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

National media has been sucking OU off since I can remember which is nearing 40 years. Not at all surprised.

Much like Ohio State they've also been good at football for much of that time, so they're a safe bet to hype up.

Oh I’d be happy if they glo’d up. Would love to see the offense holding Pom poms while the D is on the field. Make them look worse or on the same level as aggy.

Lol you can’t spell Glo up without OU…hopefully their saying next year or thread title in 2027 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

14 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

part of media thinking ou will be better than last season and a favorite to get to the CCG, is due to the schedule.  No KSU, Baylor or Tech is a huge win for them.

Correct. And the Georgia non-con game getting canceled means they won't have to break a sweat before week 4. What games will they be underdogs in besides Texas in Dallas? At Kansas? At BYU?

It is a cakewalk schedule. Going 8-4 would be a fireable offense.

Edited by Hookem2147

McKinley's mom sounds super impressive ... quite an interview.
“My biggest thing was academics, and they answered all of those questions. I had a one-on-one conversation with the academics of his choice. It was very informative.”
McKinley plans to major in computer science at whichever school he picks.

Elite DL Dominick McKinley's mother goes in-depth on Texas official visit
Hank South

Spoiler

Hank South

247Sports five-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley is one of the more sought after prospects in the class of 2024. A product of Lafayette (La.) Acadiana, McKinley is coming off a quartet of official visits to Ohio State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas in the month of June. The latter came the final weekend before the Dead Period.
“Meeting with them on a more personal level,” Angie McKinley, Dominick’s mother, told Horns247 of what she enjoyed about the family’s second visit to Austin. “We had more time to actually talk to them and talk to the coaches and Coach Bo Davis. I find that they are a family environment. They answered all of our questions. They were very informative. I want to be able to present Dominick with all the information from all of the colleges he’s visited, and let him make an informed decision, not just based off what he sees. I like getting facts so I can say hey this is what’s going on at this school, this school, and this school, and let him make an informed decision. But not only that … for him it’s like a brotherhood. Who does he relate best to? And is he comfortable with the coaches, mainly the position coach, because that’s who he’s going to be in contact with most. I felt like they did a very good job of welcoming us in and attending to our needs, as far as our questions being answered.
“My biggest thing was academics, and they answered all of those questions. I had a one-on-one conversation with the academics of his choice. It was very informative.”
On the football side of things, defensive line coach Bo Davis has Texas high in the running for McKinley’s commitment.
“He’s very personal,” Angie McKinley said. “He’s personalized to Dominick. This is what I can do for you to help grow you, not just as an athlete, but as a student athlete. My biggest thing is I’m passing on the baton. I’m a single mom. I want someone I can pass the baton on to that’s going to continue him to be the best Christian, the best husband, the best father, citizen that he can be. I feel confident in Coach Davis with the things he’s talked to me about. I feel the confidence that he’ll steer him in the right direction and make good decisions.”
McKinley’s mother says they plan to return at some point in the fall to see the game-day atmosphere in Austin.
As for where things stand with all schools involved, the family is still in the process of trying to narrow things down.
“Across the board, they’re making it very hard,” Angie McKinley said. “You do build these relationships with the coaches and they’re calling and texting. They’re talking to you and saying how they can grow your child. I really can’t say what preference he has or I have, because they’re all just great.”
McKinley’s mother would like to see things start to settle down prior to the fall.
‘I’m asking that he kind of narrow it down before the season starts, so that he way he doesn’t have to focus on that,” she said. “Ultimately if he feels like he needs more time to decide, then he’ll do that. But I would like for him to do it before his actual season starts, so he doesn’t have to worry about it.”

Hmmm, call me crazy, but the University of Texas miiight have a better computer science program than *checks notes*…

LSU (lol)
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just say it aloud. Austin is the most bad ass SEC city because Vandy sucks at football, and NIL. The SEC let a wolf in the henhouse. Let’s Go!

I mean that is really not saying much. Austin and Nashville are just the only two major cities in the SEC. You can't even really compare them to any other conference destinations.

Baton Rouge, Columbia, and Lexington are more than college towns, mainly by virtue of being state capitals, but very much small cities.

NW Arkansas is unique in that Fayetteville is a college town and it also has the adjacent Walmart/Evangelical Mecca suburb-without-a-city thing going on.

The rest are straight college towns.

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

Lots of people are predicting a bounceback year for blOU

I absolutely expect a bounce-back record wise. Mostly because their schedule is absolute trash. Three buy-a-wins out of conference and dodging KSU, Tech, and Baylor in league play. A TCU team that lost a ton from last year's run is probably their toughest conference game aside from Texas, and it's at home. Bedlam is on the road - a rivalry game but OSU is melting down and Gundy finds ways to lose that game; beyond that their toughest conference road game will probably be Cincinnati.

I expect the quality of their team to be just marginally better, but that might very well be good enough to get to 9-10 wins.

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Hmmm, call me crazy, but the University of Texas miiight have a better computer science program than *checks notes*…

LSU (lol)

This got me thinking - how much influence can the AD have on admissions for the more competitive majors? CS is the hardest major to get into so I wonder how that would work. Don't see recruits trying to go that route very often.

Of course I know nothing about him as a student so certainly not trying to downgrade McKinley's chances right off the bat, I just know that there are some insanely smart kids that can't get into that major.

Edited by trythisathome

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

McKinley's mom sounds super impressive ... quite an interview.

Hank South

Reveal hidden contents

Hank South

247Sports five-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley is one of the more sought after prospects in the class of 2024. A product of Lafayette (La.) Acadiana, McKinley is coming off a quartet of official visits to Ohio State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas in the month of June. The latter came the final weekend before the Dead Period.

“Meeting with them on a more personal level,” Angie McKinley, Dominick’s mother, told Horns247 of what she enjoyed about the family’s second visit to Austin. “We had more time to actually talk to them and talk to the coaches and Coach Bo Davis. I find that they are a family environment. They answered all of our questions. They were very informative. I want to be able to present Dominick with all the information from all of the colleges he’s visited, and let him make an informed decision, not just based off what he sees. I like getting facts so I can say hey this is what’s going on at this school, this school, and this school, and let him make an informed decision. But not only that … for him it’s like a brotherhood. Who does he relate best to? And is he comfortable with the coaches, mainly the position coach, because that’s who he’s going to be in contact with most. I felt like they did a very good job of welcoming us in and attending to our needs, as far as our questions being answered.

On the football side of things, defensive line coach Bo Davis has Texas high in the running for McKinley’s commitment.

“He’s very personal,” Angie McKinley said. “He’s personalized to Dominick. This is what I can do for you to help grow you, not just as an athlete, but as a student athlete. My biggest thing is I’m passing on the baton. I’m a single mom. I want someone I can pass the baton on to that’s going to continue him to be the best Christian, the best husband, the best father, citizen that he can be. I feel confident in Coach Davis with the things he’s talked to me about. I feel the confidence that he’ll steer him in the right direction and make good decisions.”

McKinley’s mother says they plan to return at some point in the fall to see the game-day atmosphere in Austin.

As for where things stand with all schools involved, the family is still in the process of trying to narrow things down.

“Across the board, they’re making it very hard,” Angie McKinley said. “You do build these relationships with the coaches and they’re calling and texting. They’re talking to you and saying how they can grow your child. I really can’t say what preference he has or I have, because they’re all just great.”

McKinley’s mother would like to see things start to settle down prior to the fall.

‘I’m asking that he kind of narrow it down before the season starts, so that he way he doesn’t have to focus on that,” she said. “Ultimately if he feels like he needs more time to decide, then he’ll do that. But I would like for him to do it before his actual season starts, so he doesn’t have to worry about it.”

Getting some Alfred Collins vibes here.  He seems to have the same tall, lanky, body type as Collins as well. Being a smart kid from a good family who wants to major in computer science speaks well of him as a person and for his future. Not sure how well that fits the profile of successful defensive linemen. Definitely a take based on ability, hope Bo Davis can bring out the dog in him. 

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, this calls the whole system into question. OU returns a slightly above average QB, a questionable, transfer-laden OL, limited experience at TB and dogshit at WR and TE. Get the fuck out of here on #1 offense. Holy shit.

Phil Steele has us rated at all four offensive position groups (Rec group includes TE).  His rankings are spmewhat flawed, but overall they are probably as good as any of those pre-season rags.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls