Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

42 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Blocked on the same exact protection breakdown... Coaches had the genius idea to switch to a new snapper without actually fixing the protection.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I was in attendance and the really frustrating part is the horns did shit all on offense or defense to overcome the special teams fuckupperies. NC State wasn’t anything special either. Like the gotdamn Big XII championship against Colorado 

2 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I was in attendance and the really frustrating part is the horns did shit all on offense or defense to overcome the special teams fuckupperies. NC State wasn’t anything special either. Like the gotdamn Big XII championship against Colorado 

The Texas defense played acceptably well in that game. 

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Can you all please shut the fuck up about shitty games from the past??

Hudson thinks we're leading for Black, is confident in the CB for McKinley, and thinks Okoye will visit for a home game plus TX/OU, but you dopes want to party like it's (TX/NC State) 1999.

Deets below.

The Huddle: Texas surging on the recruiting trail after landing five-star Colin Simmons

Hudson Standish (Horns 247)

Hide contents

The Huddle: Texas surging on the recruiting trail after landing five-star Colin Simmons

Hudson Standish (Horns 247)

Yesterday the Texas Longhorns landed their No. 1 priority for the class of 2024 in Duncanville five-star Colin Simmons, putting a bow on a slugfest recruitment that pitted the Longhorns against blue-bloods LSU and Miami. While no recruit will bring a wave of momentum similar to how Arch Manning's commitment impacted the 2023 class for Texas last summer, there does seem to be a tangible after-effect following the highly anticipated Collin Simmons' announcement breaking the Longhorns' way.

Multiple sources mentioned Waco (TX) Connally five-star defensive back Kobe Black as the player most impacted by Simmons' commitment yesterday. Black recently released a top five of Texas, Texas A&M, Oregon, Ohio State, and LSU but we've maintained for quite some time that the Longhorns seem to be in a tier of their own for the five-star defensive back. Simmons told reporters yesterday that Black will be one of his top priorities as a peer recruiter and he's already putting in quite a bit of work on that front.

Simmons selecting Texas doesn't have much of an impact on Lafayette (LA) Acadiana defensive lineman Dominick McKinley, but the five-star is the next scheduled commitment on the docket with September 1st as the confirmed date. This has remained a tough one to source effectively as multiple people in the know that I spoke to yesterday seemed to have different stories. One mentioned another Texas vs. LSU head-to-head battle for a five-star while the other seemed to think it's been a Texas vs. Oklahoma recruitment for the past few months. The Longhorns are the common denominator in every conversation we have regarding McKinley which gives me some additional confidence in Hank's crystal ball pick for UT.

Tulsa (OK) NOAH homeschool EDGE Danny Okoye is another coveted edge rusher that remains a priority for Texas. Okoye will likely take an unofficial to Texas for the Wyoming game on September 16th, but the real intrigue with the composite four-star is a note passed on yesterday by a source. Texas has the ability to host recruits at the Red River Shootout this season and Okoye is expected to be in attendance. Oklahoma has been a constant throughout the recruiting process for Okoye and along with Tennessee, the Sooners are expected to get Okoye on campus this fall.

Sorry Hudson but LSU and especially Miami are not Blue Bloods. LSU has a better argument, but still no.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Another Gerry note just now is Texas is going to stay on Tyanthony Smith until the finish line.

I'm all for taking an aggy LB commit two years in a row.

I hope we can get one LB this cycle.  Next year's class has three of the top LB's in the nation in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

Say what you will about aggy, but it’s pretty cool that this iconic rock cover was photographed at their stadium. 

The story behind The Who's Who's Next album artwork:

How a rubbish dump in County Durham provided the backdrop to The Who's iconic album sleeve.

Up there among the elite British rock albums, The Who’s Who’s Next was not only a triumphant follow-up to Tommy, but also touched by the hand of Lady Luck – and that’s never more true than with the way the cover concept came together.

“I was working with Pete Townshend on his Lifehouse project, which was an ambitious concept based on a futuristic era when people got their entertainment through being strapped into special suits,” recalls Ethan Russell, the American photographer who took the album’s iconic cover shot. “As far as I understand it, a lot of the songs on Who’s Next were originally intended for that record [Lifehouse]. Anyway, the band had virtually finished Who’s Next, but still didn’t have a clue about what to do about the cover.”  It was at this point that fate smiled benevolently.”

“We were driving back through [County Durham] from a gig one night, doing about 110 miles per hour down the motorway – which freaked me out. Pete was driving, and he asked me whether I had any ideas for the sleeve. Then suddenly, we passed these three or four pillars on the landscape.

They were gone in a flash, but I said to him that they might make an interesting backdrop for a photo shoot. That was it. Before I knew what had happened, Pete had swung the car back around a roundabout and was heading back to the spot, followed by three other vehicles carrying the rest of the band.

Without any hesitation, the four Who members gathered around one of the mysterious objects, and Russell started shooting.

“We did a lot of different poses, including some based on the 2001: A Space Odyssey idea of the apes gathering around the black obelisk. Then Pete started to piss on it, and I went with the flow, as it were. The others also tried to take Pete’s lead, but couldn’t actually do it. It was all a spur-of-the-moment thing.”

They poured some rainwater on the pillar to achieve a similar effect.

Russell admits that he didn’t exactly have his finger on the motor drive, and took only a few shots. But 24 hours later, one of his photos had been turned into the cover we know today.

“The odd thing is that it was only later on that I found out what those pillars were used for: to keep waste in place. It was a dumping ground for rubbish.”

Russell is the only man to have worked on covers for the Brit ‘big three’: The Who, The Rolling Stones (Through The Past Darkly) and The Beatles (Let It Be).“

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Quick notes on Micah Hudson

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Just wrapped up the Lake Belton vs Weiss scrimmage in Pflugerville and I was able to speak with five-star WR Micah Hudson.

I’ll have a story with quote’s out tomorrow morning but wanted to drop some stuff on here before driving home.

-There was some chatter online about Hudson making his commitment at the Under Armour All American game in January, I can confirm that isn’t true as he told me he doesn’t have a date in mind but that he knows he’s not going to drag out his recruitment that long. As of right now my feeling is that this will be a mid to late fall decision.

-As far as the recruitment goes, Ohio State and Alabama sent in official offers on August 1st and have been in communication with Hudson since, but I’m still not changing my stance in that I don’t see any way Hudson leaves the state. Texas Tech is still the favorite, but Texas and Texas A&M are still lingering. I’m also maintaining my belief that I think Texas will have much better shot the longer this plays out.

-Lastly, he mentioned he and Sark exchanged texts this morning and that new Texas commit Colin Simmons hit him up just hours after committing to Texas yesterday.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow morning.

IN THE THREAD

Forgot to include this but for those wondering about his teammate Selman Bridges, he’s locked in with his Arkansas commitment and I don’t see that changing, at least in the near future.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 9

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

Just wrapped up the Lake Belton vs Weiss scrimmage in Pflugerville and I was able to speak with five-star WR Micah Hudson.

I’ll have a story with quote’s out tomorrow morning but wanted to drop some stuff on here before driving home.

-There was some chatter online about Hudson making his commitment at the Under Armour All American game in January, I can confirm that isn’t true as he told me he doesn’t have a date in mind but that he knows he’s not going to drag out his recruitment that long. As of right now my feeling is that this will be a mid to late fall decision.

-As far as the recruitment goes, Ohio State and Alabama sent in official offers on August 1st and have been in communication with Hudson since, but I’m still not changing my stance in that I don’t see any way Hudson leaves the state. Texas Tech is still the favorite, but Texas and Texas A&M are still lingering. I’m also maintaining my belief that I think Texas will have much better shot the longer this plays out.

-Lastly, he mentioned he and Sark exchanged texts this morning and that new Texas commit Colin Simmons hit him up just hours after committing to Texas yesterday.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow morning.

IN THE THREAD

Forgot to include this but for those wondering about his teammate Selman Bridges, he’s locked in with his Arkansas commitment and I don’t see that changing, at least in the near future.

Ohio State getting Hudson would be the least surprising thing ever. 

(Gerry Hamilton) Texas Longhorns Recruiting: Yes, maybe or no

The Texas Longhorns are riding positive momentum on the recruiting trail following the commitment of 5-star+ Colin Simmons. Steve Sarkisian and staff have a number of top targets in the 2024 class with a decisions ahead in the coming weeks. The Texas staff is also hard at work on a number of 2025 top targets with a focus on getting prospects on campus early in the season. And the Longhorns are sitting in a good position early on with a number of those in the 2025 cycle. We introduce a few into the latest edition of Yes, maybe or no today. Inside Texas brings the IT community the recruiting game of yes, maybe or no following a quartet of the 2023 high school season. Yes is a Texas clear leader. Maybe are recruitments Texas has a legit chance to win. And No is pretty obvious.

Yes

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 25 (5-star)
The why: Texas has a healthy lead over the last place team in the SEC West a season ago. LSU, Ohio State and Oregon are also in the mix.

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 242 (4-star)
The why: Texas still has more on their side in this one. Texas A&M, Oklahoma and a couple of out of region schools are swinging away like the recruitment is in play.

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High – 2025
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 10 (5-star)
The why: Texas has a lot of factors in their corner, including strong family connections to Austin. LSU and USC are threats to pull the upset.

Landon Rink, DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair – 2025
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 358 (3-star)
The why: Texas will eventually win out, but Oklahoma is making this closer than many think.

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High – 2025
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 28 (4-star)
The why: Texas leads by a decent margin over Oklahoma, Florida, Texas A&M and others early on.

Tyler Thomas, OT, Dickinson (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: NR
The why: Texas holds a comfortable lead headed into the season.

Jackson Christian, IOL, Port Neches (Texas) PNG – 2025
On3 Industry Ranking: NR
The why: There is a feeling Texas holds big lead headed into the season.

Maybe

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 23 (5-star)
The why: Texas is locked in a battle with Oklahoma and Ohio State with LSU and Texas A&M in the fight ahead of a September 1 announcement.

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 22 (5-star)
The why: A national power recruiting slugfest between Texas, Ohio State and Oregon. Nebraska is also in the picture.

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 72 (4-star)
The why: Texas and Florida are considered the top two for Mack with LSU trying to come from behind. Florida State is also in the mix on some level. A decision could come at any time.

Ryan Wingo, WR, Saint Louis (Mo.) University
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 24 (5-star)
The why: Missouri, Tennessee and Texas are the chatter behind the scenes. Texas gets another visit September 17 for the Wyoming game. Tennessee the same September 30. Texas A&M, Georgia and Michigan also still worthy of mention.

Danny Okoye, EDGE, Tulsa (Okla.) NOAH Homeschool
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 190 (4-star)
The why: Oklahoma and Tennessee have the most momentum, but Texas continues to have a legit shot. Alabama and LSU are in it too. Oklahoma official visit for the season opener, and a trip to Texas for the Wyoming game are in the books.

Solomon Williams, EDGE, Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 256 (4-star)
The why: Williams is looking at official visit dates in the fall. That includes Texas, Texas A&M and Oregon. Alabama was thought to be the leader headed into August.

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 146 (4-star)
The why: Auburn and Texas both know they have a legit shot. Michigan State and USC are also on the list.

Terry Bussey, WR, Timpson (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 19 (5-star)
The why: Texas A&M has been a long time favorite. Texas in position to make a run if desired. LSU is also truly in the mix. Oklahoma is somewhere on the list.

Joshua Lair, S, Missouri City (Texas) Marshall
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 429 (3-star)
The why: LSU receiving the most mention, but Texas has real appeal if they go all in. Baylor is the third team in the mix.

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – 2025
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 37 (4-star)
The why: Texas is locked in a battle with Ohio State and USC for the No. 3 ranked running back in the 2025 cycle.

No

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 6 (5-star)
The why: This would require a big come from behind effort. Texas Tech has the tortillas ready to throw all around Lubbock when Hudson makes the call.

Blake Ivy, IOL, League City (Texas) Clear Springs
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 113 (4-star)
The why: Texas A&M has led LSU and Texas for weeks. The Horns haven’t thrown in the towel as of Sunday.

Weston Davis, OT, Beaumont (Texas) United – Texas A&M verbal
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 101 (4-star)
The why: If Texas gets the 6-foot-5, 280-pounder on campus in the fall, this will change to maybe.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Nah, I get the feeling that Hudson is gonna break Tech’s heart. Someone random like Tennessee will swoop in and grab him at the 11th hour. 

As was mentioned above we know how this plays out. Ohio State will turn him into a 1st round pick.

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

2025 recruits don't mean shit. Member Hunter Modden? Same with that Georgia 5 star that was committed since November and flipped to Auburn, I believe. Not a single person should take recruiting seriously a year away. No one. 

image.png.0082e545ad3887edd78772a79970eef3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls