Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

On 8/31/2023 at 7:12 AM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Aggie really trying to play the small town Jesus first angle I guess to make people think he’ll be more comfortable there.

My older sister in an aggie.  All 4 of her kids are or were aggies.  I remember when my oldest nephew toured they were really pitching that A&M was basically like a giant Christian school. That did appeal to my sister's family because they're missionaries.

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

IT and 247 were both super confident on this one. Interesting.

Insanely passive-aggressive Nahlin post incoming.

247 definitely seemed confident. Wells was the only one from IT to put in a prediction. I know Gerry was saying for weeks that predictions for Texas from other sites were premature and even after Spiegelman put in a pick for Texas they said it was not a done deal.

This was from their percentages article back in mid-July.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana

Eric: 45%. We’ll see how motivated Texas is to win this recruitment when it counts. 

Justin: 38%. What Gerry said, plus three. 

Gerry: 35%. Texas will be one of three finalists. This one is a wildcard. Mom likes the academics at Texas, which helps. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

247 definitely seemed confident. Wells was the only one from IT to put in a prediction. I know Gerry was saying for weeks that predictions for Texas from other sites were premature and even after Spiegelman put in a pick for Texas they said it was not a done deal.

This was from their percentages article back in mid-July.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana

Eric: 45%. We’ll see how motivated Texas is to win this recruitment when it counts. 

Justin: 38%. What Gerry said, plus three. 

Gerry: 35%. Texas will be one of three finalists. This one is a wildcard. Mom likes the academics at Texas, which helps. 

Gerry was asked if he would be going to the commitment ceremony on the livestream like a week ago and he said no. I guess that should have made it clear to everyone what was going to happen.  

Edited by TXRed

11 minutes ago, TXRed said:

Gerry was asked if he would be going to the commitment ceremony on the livestream like a week ago and he said no. That should have made it clear everyone what was going to happen.  

I believe that was mainly due to the fact that he was just in Lafayette 2 weeks ago and On3 already had Spiegelamn going who lives in Louisiana. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's been said like a million times this isn't an NIL recruitment (I'm sure he's getting paid but it's not the make-or-break aspect).

Decent enough engineering school, close to Lafayette, sold the small-town Christian vibe hard, Elijah Robinson is an elite recruiter.

But why is he an elite recruiter? 

So let me get this straight.

Mom has been in education and supposedly her son graduating and being taken care of and developed is important.  Soooooo they pick aggy….

-Jimbo’s team is full of cancers.  How many kids were kicked off the team?  I’m sure the players have their bibles on in the locker room while they smoke weed before games.  Legit… they had players smoking before games in the locker room.

-  they don’t go to class

-  coaches are racist and assholes

-  team went 5-7 last year

-  their DL coach that was responsible for developing their players died (rip).

yeah… makes a lot of sense.  This why I don’t take recruiting seriously anymore.  Very likely Dom will have a new DL coach and new head coach in 2 years there.   Very likely he will be surrounded by mercenaries that don’t go to class.  

also… I really like IT.  I think they have solid info.  I also they pump out non stop kool aid likely coming from the staff that is always optimistic on recruits.  They have been very wrong a lot the last 2 years.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

close to Lafayette, sold the small-town Christian vibe hard, Elijah Robinson is an elite recruiter.

the closeness thing is so overrated. its like an hour difference - this isn't USC vs Texas for a guy from Louisiana.

and BCS metro is now at 273k and change. it's one of the top 200 metros in the country - the guy is from Lafayette area which is 412k.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

the closeness thing is so overrated. its like an hour difference - this isn't USC vs Texas for a guy from Louisiana.

and BCS metro is now at 273k and change. it's one of the top 200 metros in the country - the guy is from Lafayette area which is 412k.

Sure, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like a big city

• Hook 'Em 1

SEC schools are going to lean into the Southern Christian culture and iconography more and more as it relates to certain real or perceived political climates, especially with parents of recruits from those areas.  We try to keep things apolitical on these boards but that's not the case with other SEC coaches and fan bases.  Small towns throughout the American south are built around Church/God, Football, Family; culture and politics will damn sure be real factors in recruiting against Texas.  It really doesn't matter if the locker room is full of delinquents and cancers, for a religious parent on a visit concerned for their child's development future, a coach saying all the familiar phrases and relatable 'faith' quips is a real panacea.  Fortunately we should be able to pull enough talent regardless, but I'm interested to see where the UT football staff goes in the future to counter; more "God" sprinkled in during visits and texts, or more emphasis on west and northeast talent pools?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at all the dipshits who ran back to "bag game" like a fucking woobie they clutch while sucking their thumb. 

Sometimes we're just going to lose a recruitment. Jesus. 

On top of this, while we have likely lost the recruitment, A&M hasn’t even won the recruitment yet. If he flips, I don’t see it being to us. 

The resources required to keep this guy in the fold are now freed up to focus on other priorities. 

3 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

SEC schools are going to lean into the Southern Christian culture and iconography more and more as it relates to certain real or perceived political climates, especially with parents of recruits from those areas.  We try to keep things apolitical on these boards but that's not the case with other SEC coaches and fan bases.  Small towns throughout the American south are built around Church/God, Football, Family; culture and politics will damn sure be real factors in recruiting against Texas.  It really doesn't matter if the locker room is full of delinquents and cancers, for a religious parent on a visit concerned for their child's development future, a coach saying all the familiar phrases and relatable 'faith' quips is a real panacea.  Fortunately we should be able to pull enough talent regardless, but I'm interested to see where the UT football staff goes in the future to counter; more "God" sprinkled in during visits and texts, or more emphasis on west and northeast talent pools?

We've won plenty of faith-centric recruitments, and will continue to do so.  Kevin Washington in particular is phenomenal at making connections in that arena.

Sometimes, people just feel more comfortable elsewhere and they will find a reason to justify that feeling.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

That's where losing guys like Bijan and Rojo hurts. Iirc those two organized bible studies for players...not sure who on the current roster is picking up the slack.

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

also… I really like IT.  I think they have solid info.  I also they pump out non stop kool aid likely coming from the staff that is always optimistic on recruits.  They have been very wrong a lot the last 2 years.

Of course they do. People are much more likely to pay for information telling them that the future of their beloved team is trending positively rather than the opposite. Non-stop koolaid is the bedrock on which the entire industry is built. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Would love for this to once surprisingly go our way. Can’t even think the last time a recruitment like this surprised us last second for the good guys.  

Because those kinds of surprises don't happen anymore, often, at all. Like, nationally. Last second surprise? Arch Manning was a good one. Fuck, I was sweating the Colin Simmons announcement and watching the live stream. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

sold the small-town Christian vibe hard, Elijah Robinson is an elite recruiter.

I think this is the selling point/difference in this one. 

It's strange how some recruits and their families ignore other data points and incidents that don't fit their moral compass.  But that's what elite recruiters do, minimize and explain away abhorrent behavior and incidents with the team, while finding, emphasizing and hand feeding the recruit and especially their families, the exact things they want to hear. Plus, the smaller town thing was probably a pretty big factor for mom. 

2 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

My older sister in an aggie.  All 4 of her kids are or were aggies.  I remember when my oldest nephew toured they were really pitching that A&M was basically like a giant Christian school. That did appeal to my sister's family because they're missionaries.

A giant Christian school who worshipped Jackie Sherrill until Johnny Eight Ball came along.  Hmmmm

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls