Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Yea we missed Watts!!!! I don’t think Holmes got the memo were a physically team.  Idk my eyes may have deceived me but it looked like on one run he let the WR block him instead of making a tackle. I really hope that wasn’t the case. I thought Holmes would be a better start with his speed (thinking OU would go deep) but nah give me Watts 

Yep.  I underestimated how much we would miss him.  Hope he is back soon.

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

We desperately need Black and Mack. Holmes is a good try hard kid, but he was torched yesterday. Just flat-footed and missed several tackles that turned into huge gains. Texas really missed Watts yesterday.

I thought he returned later in the game.

Holmes was such a fucking awful portal take. I called it out for what it was in the transfer thread and some of you got all up in your feels being defensive about a guy you hadn't heard of six hours earlier just because our staff said they wanted him. He looked mediocre in coverage in the ACC playing WRs several tiers below what even the garbage Big 12 teams field. He was (and still is) one of the worst tacklers in all of the FBS. Not just an issue of physicality or size; gets juked out of his damn socks by any kind hint of lateral movement. Edit: It got kind of lost in my rant about Holmes but point is yeah I fully agree that if nothing else yesterday highlighted the huge need for Black or Mack. MM and Brookes need help next year that isn't on this roster yet. 

To the second part wasn't it Catalon in on that final play? Pretty sure that was #11 that stood flat footed like he was mid stroke in the front of the endzone while the OU wideout went into the back corner completely uncovered for the game losing TD pass (Jerrin Thompson was covering the WR in the shallow route). I'm not entirely blaming him for it because I can only assume his role was spying the QB and it was supposed to be a corner from the other side following the WR as he motioned but either way if Catalon was back in the game for play that important he is likely 100% good to go moving forward. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

31 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I'm not going to officially quote the idiot, but I'll respond:

"The RS Frosh from Aledo" = B.J. Allen Jr., who was not a five-star recruit.

The five-star from Louisiana is Derek Williams Jr.

I think he's claiming BJ Allen is the "someone to pair with" [Williams].

Considering who's playing in front of him, I got to think BJ Allen's level of play at this time is nowhere near his recruit ranking

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Holmes was such a fucking awful portal take. I called it out for what it was in the transfer thread and some of you got all up in your feels being defensive about a guy you hadn't heard of six hours earlier just because our staff said they wanted him.

You sure showed everybody. Really cool shit, man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Holmes was such a fucking awful portal take. I called it out for what it was in the transfer thread and some of you got all up in your feels being defensive about a guy you hadn't heard of six hours earlier just because our staff said they wanted him. He looked mediocre in coverage in the ACC playing WRs several tiers below what even the garbage Big 12 teams field. He was (and still is) one of the worst tacklers in all of the FBS.. 

Oh fuck. This guy can see the future and everyone else is idiot! Bro, you are so badass!
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Holmes was such a fucking awful portal take. I called it out for what it was in the transfer thread and some of you got all up in your feels being defensive about a guy you hadn't heard of six hours earlier just because our staff said they wanted him. He looked mediocre in coverage in the ACC playing WRs several tiers below what even the garbage Big 12 teams field. He was (and still is) one of the worst tacklers in all of the FBS. Not just an issue of physicality or size; gets juked out of his damn socks by any kind hint of lateral movement. Edit: It got kind of lost in my rant about Holmes but point is yeah I fully agree that if nothing else yesterday highlighted the huge need for Black or Mack. MM and Brookes need help next year that isn't on this roster yet. 

To the second part wasn't it Catalon in on that final play? Pretty sure that was #11 that stood flat footed like he was mid stroke in the front of the endzone while the OU wideout went into the back corner completely uncovered for the game losing TD pass (Jerrin Thompson was covering the WR in the shallow route). I'm not entirely blaming him for it because I can only assume his role was spying the QB and it was supposed to be a corner from the other side following the WR as he motioned but either way if Catalon was back in the game for play that important he is likely 100% good to go moving forward. 

I saw a video clip with Acho talking about this play and he said that it was Derek Williams failure to communicate that resulted in the receiver being open.  I don't know, but his explanation makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tree Fidy said:

I saw a video clip with Acho talking about this play and he said that it was Derek Williams failure to communicate that resulted in the receiver being open.  I don't know, but his explanation makes sense.

Williams clearly bumps the coverage when that guy goes in motion. The other guys apparently didn’t get the message. 

It’s either on Thompson or Gbenda. I’m guessing Gbenda. 

I would have liked a TO at some point on that drive too. Our guys were flailing out there

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Tree Fidy said:

Rod Babers pointed out in the post-game livestream that everybody on the defense but Gbenda saw this play coming and that Williams was bumping the coverage to everyone else but Gbenda never took his eyes off the QB. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That's cool and all, but how about just not fucking up in the first place?

Both he and Jaylan Ford played like shit. Ford looked confused and unathletic. 
Gbenda reminded everyone why he wasn’t getting PT. Missing gap after gap, even on plays where the DL did well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Atticus said:

Both he and Jaylan Ford played like shit. Ford looked confused and unathletic. 
Gbenda reminded everyone why he wasn’t getting PT. Missing gap after gap, even on plays where the DL did well. 

really think Ford must be dinged up at this point

6 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Ford is kinda like that he just has a knack for getting turnovers he is not a traditional tackling machine LB

He's easily our best LB when it comes to dropping into passing lanes. Last year he was our best LB at disrupting slant routes. It takes a combo of instinct+experience that Gbenda just doesn't have.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

we're only OFFERING him now? that seems very odd. 

He is originally from Florida, I believe. This guy has shown little interest in Texas until recently. He went to the Cotton Bowl to watch the game on Saturday, so I think this shows there is now some mutual interest. This probably means that he might want to set up an official as well. This seems like positive progress, but not a guaranteed flip.

• Hook 'Em 3

(Coaches are seeing Wardell Mack, '25 Ryan Williams, Ryan Wingo and DeAndre Carter, among others.)

VIP intel on DB recruiting, Texas coaches on the road this week

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Hank South (Horns 247)

Here's the latest VIP recruiting intel Horns247 has gathered on Monday. 

-- Texas hosted five-star safety and Florida commit Xavier Filsaime for the Red River Shootout. On Monday afternoon the McKinney standout announced a formal offer from the Longhorns. So, where does UT stand? Right now it's somewhat of a wait-and-see type situation, we're told, per sources. There's definitely mutual interest, but as to where that will go it remains to be seen. Checking on the Florida said of things, there isn't much worry out of Gainesville just yet in terms of how the program feels about their long-time pledge. If he turns up in Austin later this season and UF struggles down the stretch, both possible, things could get interesting. For now we'll just keep his name in our back pocket. Texas also continues to stay in touch with Aggies safety commit Myles Davis, who intends to visit campus for the Texas Tech game.

-- Another Gators commit Texas is pursuing, and has more traction with than Filsaime at this point, is Wardell Mack. The John Ehret product was not in attendance on Saturday for Texas-Oklahoma, but does intend to get to one of the Longhorns' final three home games, his father tells Horns247. Which game that will be is to be determined. Texas is expected in this week to see the Gators pledge, who UT had momentum with following his official visit to the Forty Acres back in June. There's remained optimism about Texas' position on the UT end throughout the fall. 

-- With the Longhorns off this weekend, the Texas staff will be busy on the road this week checking in on commits and targets. Most of the action will come on Thursday and Friday as the staff travels to games and high schools. We noted above that Texas is expected to stop in to see Mack this week. Other trips we've learned of include:

Thursday

AJ Milwee is seeing Texas commit Trey Owens

Kyle Flood will be in Houston and Dallas ahead of traveling to the West Coast

Friday

AJ Milwee is seeing Texas commit KJ Lacey and Alabama wide receiver commit Ryan Williams

Tashard Choice and Blake Gideon are seeing Texas commits Jerrick Gibson and Jordon Johnson-Rubell, IMG prospects

Kyle Flood is seeing Longhorns pledge Brandon Baker and Auburn commit DeAndre Carter, among Mater Dei prospects

Chris Jackson is seeing five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo in Kansas City

We'll do a more in-depth coaching visit piece later in the week as the schedule comes together more. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Coaches are seeing Wardell Mack, '25 Ryan Williams, Ryan Wingo and DeAndre Carter, among others.)

Hank South (Horns 247)

Reveal hidden contents

Hank South (Horns 247)

Here's the latest VIP recruiting intel Horns247 has gathered on Monday. 

-- Texas hosted five-star safety and Florida commit Xavier Filsaime for the Red River Shootout. On Monday afternoon the McKinney standout announced a formal offer from the Longhorns. So, where does UT stand? Right now it's somewhat of a wait-and-see type situation, we're told, per sources. There's definitely mutual interest, but as to where that will go it remains to be seen. Checking on the Florida said of things, there isn't much worry out of Gainesville just yet in terms of how the program feels about their long-time pledge. If he turns up in Austin later this season and UF struggles down the stretch, both possible, things could get interesting. For now we'll just keep his name in our back pocket. Texas also continues to stay in touch with Aggies safety commit Myles Davis, who intends to visit campus for the Texas Tech game.

-- Another Gators commit Texas is pursuing, and has more traction with than Filsaime at this point, is Wardell Mack. The John Ehret product was not in attendance on Saturday for Texas-Oklahoma, but does intend to get to one of the Longhorns' final three home games, his father tells Horns247. Which game that will be is to be determined. Texas is expected in this week to see the Gators pledge, who UT had momentum with following his official visit to the Forty Acres back in June. There's remained optimism about Texas' position on the UT end throughout the fall. 

-- With the Longhorns off this weekend, the Texas staff will be busy on the road this week checking in on commits and targets. Most of the action will come on Thursday and Friday as the staff travels to games and high schools. We noted above that Texas is expected to stop in to see Mack this week. Other trips we've learned of include:

Thursday

AJ Milwee is seeing Texas commit Trey Owens

Kyle Flood will be in Houston and Dallas ahead of traveling to the West Coast

Friday

AJ Milwee is seeing Texas commit KJ Lacey and Alabama wide receiver commit Ryan Williams

Tashard Choice and Blake Gideon are seeing Texas commits Jerrick Gibson and Jordon Johnson-Rubell, IMG prospects

Kyle Flood is seeing Longhorns pledge Brandon Baker and Auburn commit DeAndre Carter, among Mater Dei prospects

Chris Jackson is seeing five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo in Kansas City

We'll do a more in-depth coaching visit piece later in the week as the schedule comes together more. 

Nobody visiting D'antre Robinson?

Edited by Laga4