Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think they get most of their info from the Texas staff. 

So this is a little embarrassing that I’ve spent any time at all thinking about the web of sources that supply IT’s content, but Nahlin went to high school with Robert Koy, who walked on at QB and was behind Applewhite.  When Major was a GA I presumed that was a source but this was also back in the recruitocosm days when they were more aggressive at publishing rumors.  He may also have given them some information when he was under Herman but I can’t find imagine Applewhite would have had much to gain at that point.  

I’m convinced that don’t really have any true “of the record” sources anymore on the program side.  Banks or someone in the SID provides “inside” information but it’s the same, program approved tidbits going out to OB and 247.  Essentially they (IT) have traded a little access for their independence.  I’m sure Robert Heard is turning over in his grave but it’s kind of the same thing we’ve seen in a lot of the upstart media publishers.  

Gerry gets most of his stuff by dropping the various high school coaches offices at 6 am and always having a tin of Copenhagen at the ready to share.  

1 hour ago, TXRed said:

The IT guys are probably getting tired of having egg on their faces when it comes to predicting 5 star recruitments. 

Well, they got Simmons and Baker right, and those were two big ones. We will see if they end up being right on Kobe Black too.

Wells seemed to be the primary guy covering McKinley, Wingo and Black. In those videos he seems to always be bullish on Texas' chances for everyone. He put in the RPM for McKinley while Nahlin and Gerry seemed way more hesitant on Texas' chances.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Johntay was polished, productive, and a 5-star guy. He’s not getting a bunch of burn this year. Wingo would be nice, but we’ll be fine with a portal guy.

Get Dekorien Moore and another big body guy like Wingo next year. 

That's because we have elite and/or entrenched senior starters already on the roster in Worthy, Mitchell, and Whittington. He's not gonna pull targets away from any of those dudes. And they're all gone after this year. So it will be Cook and bunch of unproven but talented dudes next year. There's opportunity for a true freshman to come in and make the kind of impact Worthy did a few seasons ago. 

You're right that we might be fine with a portal guy. But I never like a strategy of "it's fine to lose out on this elite player this year because we'll just get two elite players next year". I'd like to add an elite WR this year but probably not gonna happen if we don't get Wingo. 

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That's because we have elite and/or entrenched senior starters already on the roster in Worthy, Mitchell, and Whittington. He's not gonna pull targets away from any of those dudes. And they're all gone after this year. So it will be Cook and bunch of unproven but talented dudes next year. There's opportunity for a true freshman to come in and make the kind of impact Worthy did a few seasons ago. 

You're right that we might be fine with a portal guy. But I never like a strategy of "it's fine to lose out on this elite player this year because we'll just get two elite players next year". I'd like to add an elite WR this year but probably not gonna happen if we don't get Wingo. 

I was curious, because this is true.

Whittington is gone. Pending Worthy, Mitchell, and Sanders all leave (which is extremely likely), Texas stands to lose (through six games):

• 71.4% of total receptions
  • 94.2% of receptions by WRs
  • All receiving TDs except for one each by Brooks, Helm, and Byron Murphy II.

Neyor, Cook, and Moore need to get some late-season run to develop. However, Sark doesn't like to rotate WRs much, so who knows.

Ewers is likely to leave, and who know about Brooks. Texas will most assuredly go big-game hunting in the portal at TE and WR. Outside of most of the OL (Jones), the entire offense could be new starters.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Nahlin said yesterday it is not a forgone conclusion Mitchell is gone.

But for conversation sake, we have 8 scholarship receivers right now. We know Whittington is gone and let's assume Worthy and Mitchell turn pro. It's probably a safe bet that at least one of Neyor or Cain will depart and maybe both.

So it's entirely possible (maybe probable) that the only 3 scholarship receivers we have entering the offseason are the 3 freshman from the 2023 class before adding Dubose and Livingstone. If that were to happen, you are adding at least 2 receivers from the portal and a case could maybe be made for a 3rd (2 high level guys and maybe a Tarique Milton type). If Mitchell returns then maybe you only need 1 or 2.

The scholarship situation at WR probably isn't the best, but I guess it's a lot easier to manage when you really only primarily play 3-4 guys as opposed to having 12 scholarship receivers play like Herman liked.

Edited by Hookem2147

The question I have about Neyor is whether his limited PT is due to him not being that good or that his knee just isn’t fully healed and they don’t want to push him when they have such a strong starting WR corps. If it’s the latter, then I think there’s a good chance he’ll be back because he could have a year as a featured WR next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

The question I have about Neyor is whether his limited PT is due to him not being that good or that his knee just isn’t fully healed and they don’t want to push him when they have such a strong starting WR corps. If it’s the latter, then I think there’s a good chance he’ll be back because he could have a year as a featured WR next year. 

The fact he played against Rice and hasn’t had another snap since isn’t a good sign and tells me it’s probably not health related.

I heard a rumor that he was told to go in at the end of the Wyoming game and he refused, and that put him deep in the doghouse.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The fact he played against Rice and hasn’t had another snap since isn’t a good sign and tells me it’s probably not health related.

I heard a rumor that he was told to go in at the end of the Wyoming game and he refused, and that put him deep in the doghouse.

Interesting, had not seen that before. Sucks because he seemed like a great talent. 

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There have been rumors that he doesn't completely trust cutting. With the amount of double moves the WRs run, it makes sense if he's struggling with cutting.

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It's hard to have much of an effect in a redshirt year. 

If I want to play with a good QB, I go to a team where I know a good QB will overlap me by at least 2 years.  For Arch, that was the last class and this class.   '25s who want to play with him are getting at most one year, barring injury.  Because otherwise he's not staying 4 years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Nobody was ever coming because of Arch Manning, not sure why some of you haven't realized that yet. In regards to WR recruiting no none of our guys are really putting up gaudy numbers or the primary focus of the offense. So you can go to Texas and be just one of the guys are come to Mizzou and be the guy like Burden or Nabors at LSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Nobody was ever coming because of Arch Manning, not sure why some of you haven't realized that yet. In regards to WR recruiting no none of our guys are really putting up gaudy numbers or the primary focus of the offense. So you can go to Texas and be just one of the guys are come to Mizzou and be the guy like Burden or Nabors at LSU.

Username checks out. 

• Haha 2

One of the best aspects of tracking recruiting is watching Surly try to rationalize the decision making of teenagers they’ve never met. Hell, I couldn’t even predict my own decisions, or explain the reasons behind those decisions, when I was that age. I do have to admit, most of those choices were made with pussy as a major factor.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

If X and Neyor are as good as gone at this point, based on the remaining schedule, Cook should get 15 attempts per game from here out.

We still have games to win this year, tho Sark did say he wished he got Cook more touches in the OU game so we'll probably see more of him

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
7 hours ago, Orange&White said:
If X and Neyor are as good as gone at this point, based on the remaining schedule, Cook should get 15 attempts per game from here out.

On that same line of thinking, Gerry mentioned that J. Cook and D. Moore need to play more for "recruiting purposes".

Must mean Wingo doesn't think he'd play as a freshman?

Update from Gerry on DeAndre Carter 

The Texas Longhorns continue to feel good about the chances of flipping 4-star guard DeAndre Carter as of late Friday night. 

There are a few reasons why the No. 178 ranked prospect in the On3 Industry Ranking could make the flip.

1. Resume of Kyle Flood is playing a big role here, as it did with 5-star and Mater Dei teammate Brandon Baker. 

2. Travel from Southern California to Austin is much easier than SoCal to Auburn. That also played a role in why the Baker family didn't like the idea of Athens. 

3. Texas in the run game has impressed Carter and his circle this season. It's seen as a very good potential fit. 

4. Texas move to the SEC, obviously. 

Auburn's counter is easier path to the field with Hugh Freeze in rebuild mode. But the Tigers are expected to go heavy portal on OL after the 2023 season, so that isn't a lock for an easier path.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

If Brooks continues this current course I don’t see how he comes back.  He’s 2nd in the nation in rushing yards against a very tough schedule.

Brooks is a great college running back who isn’t elite in any single category. He’s not gonna get drafted before day 3. He may decide he wants a shot at making a roster and leaves early.  It I would bet he comes back next year. 

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
3 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:
Must mean Wingo doesn't think he'd play as a freshman?

He didn't elaborate. But X, JW, AD (could come back), and Neyor are gone, which leaves a lot to fill. Then again, WRs are not hard to find in the portal so I'm not concerned.

AD is showing up on more 1st round mock drafts than X now. Both will be drafted in the first two rounds and maybe even both in the 1st. They’re gone after this year. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Sure - but that’s not how Sark coaches the skill positions. 

I think it was Rod Babers who described it this way - ‘Sark spends the whole game waiting for the right defense against the play called to exploit a particular defender - he’s not going to waste it by having his 5th or 6th best WR out there when it happens’. 

Sure, it would help recruiting - but so will putting up huge numbers on offense and winning games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Brooks is a great college running back who isn’t elite in any single category. He’s not gonna get drafted before day 3. He may decide he wants a shot at making a roster and leaves early.  It I would bet he comes back next year. 

I know Mel Kiper isn't the end all be all, but as a data point, he has Brooks as the #3 RB in the draft right now.  It isn't a foregone conclusion that Brooks is a day 3 pick.

Running backs

1. Audric Estime, Notre Dame
2. Blake Corum, Michigan
3. Jonathon Brooks, Texas
4. TreVeyon Henderson, Ohio State
5. Donovan Edwards, Michigan
6. Braelon Allen, Wisconsin
7. Trey Benson, Florida State
8. MarShawn Lloyd, USC
9. Ray Davis, Kentucky
10. Roman Hemby, Maryland

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

If he continues to dominate, I don’t think that I can agree with you.  His biggest flaw is he’s not Bijan.  He’s got pretty good speed, breaks shit loads of tackles and has soft hands.

He's also patient and seems to have great vision imo.

• Hook 'Em 2