Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

There’s always a dad

Haha, that’s funny.  I’m sure Florida’s horrible NIL mishaps from last year has induced caution for all parents of recruits.  

I think we’re learning that the NIL demands from receivers are probably the highest of any position.  The QB’s know if they play they’ll get sponsorship money, same with RB but to a lesser extent.  The longer developmental curve for most lineman probably helps keep the old coaching plus facilities pitch in parallel with NIL.  Receivers want money yesterday.  

I haven’t heard this directly but I’d guess Wingo is getting Worthy’s money.  I’d also infer from the commitment that Missouri can’t afford Wingo and Burden at the same time (neither could we unless more donors step up).  

13 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Haha, that’s funny.  I’m sure Florida’s horrible NIL mishaps from last year has induced caution for all parents of recruits.  

I think we’re learning that the NIL demands from receivers are probably the highest of any position.  The QB’s know if they play they’ll get sponsorship money, same with RB but to a lesser extent.  The longer developmental curve for most lineman probably helps keep the old coaching plus facilities pitch in parallel with NIL.  Receivers want money yesterday.  

I haven’t heard this directly but I’d guess Wingo is getting Worthy’s money.  I’d also infer from the commitment that Missouri can’t afford Wingo and Burden at the same time (neither could we unless more donors step up).  

No recruit at any position, or any ranking, is getting Worthy money. Not at Texas or anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No recruit at any position, or any ranking, is getting Worthy money. Not at Texas or anywhere else.

I think he was saying that some of the money currently going to Worthy will be diverted to Wingo, since Worthy will no longer be on the “pay roll.” No way all that money goes to Wingo. At least not up front. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

I think he was saying that some of the money currently going to Worthy will be diverted to Wingo, since Worthy will no longer be on the “pay roll.” No way all that money goes to Wingo. At least not up front. 

It reads as he's saying Wingo is getting Wothy's money, which is what he's saying. CSJ let's him know he is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Why are they asking parents these types of questions? Like wtf?

In case you haven’t noticed, NIL has changed things a bit. Questions like, “Is your son still for sale?”, we’re once frowned upon. Now, they can publicly make it known. We also know there’s nothing that excites a reporter more than drama.

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just for proof

Screenshot2023-10-25at5_58_48PM.png.5165b1de59cbc08d1b07505905156c2b.png

He couldn't be more wrong if he tried.

I'm sure to him it's incredible that he has such a terrible hit rate. Then again I'm also sure that 100 percent of the people who he meets are also golden club members or whatever it's called at Pluckers and don't typically follow 17 year olds.

Nahlin on Wingo/Black/NIL/2025

Spoiler

Texas was able to land Ryan Wingo by the skin of its teeth on Wednesday afternoon. He indeed gave a silent to Texas during his Wyoming visit following the Alabama win, but Missouri essentially had him “flipped” in recent weeks.

It’s hard to get these things confirmed 100% but I believe Texas regained the lead earlier in the week, though it doesn’t seem like Missouri caught wind of that until decision day on Wednesday. 

Is Wingo solid?

Some have wondered if Wingo’s father prefers him close to home. No, that is not a preference. His dad, Ronnie, has been very supportive of Ryan throughout the process and became equally high on Texas. Certain dads communicate with the IT team where you know the interest is genuine. Ronnie’s relationship with Justin was key to us understanding this recruitment was swinging back toward Texas.

If you want to worry about Wingo flipping to Mizzou, go right ahead, but there are better things to concern yourself with. I mean, if you’re looking for something to worry about, at least worry about Kobe Black since he’s uncommitted. 

Wingo and Black similarities

Inside Texas has had three predictions in for the four-star cornerback from Waco to pick Texas. Based on everything I know in that recruitment, it would take a massive event for me to back off that prediction. Once I make a prediction my preference is to not change it, so I’m more saying it’s extremely unlikely I ever even change my board sentiment on that one, much less the actual prediction. There are just too many similarities to the Wingo recruitment while there doesn’t even appear to be a Missouri sort of school posing a credible threat.

Texas makes all the sense in the world for Black. Early playing time is available, Ryan Watts makes for a great selling point, he has friends who are doing well in the program, it’s close to home, NIL opportunities, etc.

So, maybe don’t waste your time worrying about that one either.

The cycle ahead

I knew if I tried hard enough I could find something for you to worry about it.

The 2025 cycle is nearing. As I always say, the previous class, in this case 2024, has little bearing on what the next class will look like. That’s a long-held observation but it’s been crystal clear the last few cycles.

Texas finished extremely strong in 2022 but that didn’t lead to early 2023 momentum. Texas had to wait until Arch Manning committed in June to get that class going. Recruiting was pretty much done in the Summer and it was a very long slog until 2024 picked up. 

So what does this mean for 2025? Every cycle has its own headwinds and tailwinds to navigate. The best tailwind Texas can have is if it wins out in the regular season, wins the Big 12, and makes the College Football Playoff. Even then the staff will have to work hard to put together a top 5 class.

What are possible headwinds? If the rest of the season disappoints that’s an obvious one. But another one is NIL. At this point too many people have a false sense of security regarding NIL because of the work of too few people. Texas fans should ignore what they hear from national pundits and rival fan bases. Texas’ current situation is not tenable. 

Future predictions

Until we get some data on how the next cycle is going to go, smart predictors will be very judicious with RPM’s for Texas to land elite prospects in the 2025 cycle. There will be plenty of easy predictions to make — some kids just really want to be at Texas — but elite prospects, or even good out-of-state prospects, are going to be a gamble to predict.

To be clear, with just a solid finish to the season Texas is going to have a good class in 2025. After all, there are the permanent tailwinds of rich tradition, great school, thriving city, and now, being in the SEC. But understand there are going to be some big wins and big losses. 

Like with the 2024 class, it’ll be wise to sit back and wait for the big picture to emerge rather than fixating on each pixel.

I know you won’t, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

Texas was able to land Ryan Wingo by the skin of its teeth on Wednesday afternoon. He indeed gave a silent to Texas during his Wyoming visit following the Alabama win, but Missouri essentially had him “flipped” in recent weeks.

It’s hard to get these things confirmed 100% but I believe Texas regained the lead earlier in the week, though it doesn’t seem like Missouri caught wind of that until decision day on Wednesday. 

Is Wingo solid?

Some have wondered if Wingo’s father prefers him close to home. No, that is not a preference. His dad, Ronnie, has been very supportive of Ryan throughout the process and became equally high on Texas. Certain dads communicate with the IT team where you know the interest is genuine. Ronnie’s relationship with Justin was key to us understanding this recruitment was swinging back toward Texas.

If you want to worry about Wingo flipping to Mizzou, go right ahead, but there are better things to concern yourself with. I mean, if you’re looking for something to worry about, at least worry about Kobe Black since he’s uncommitted. 

Inside Texas has had three predictions in for the four-star cornerback from Waco to pick Texas. Based on everything I know in that recruitment, it would take a massive event for me to back off that prediction. Once I make a prediction my preference is to not change it, so I’m more saying it’s extremely unlikely I ever even change my board sentiment on that one, much less the actual prediction. There are just too many similarities to the Wingo recruitment while there doesn’t even appear to be a Missouri sort of school posing a credible threat.

Texas makes all the sense in the world for Black. Early playing time is available, Ryan Watts makes for a great selling point, he has friends who are doing well in the program, it’s close to home, NIL opportunities, etc.

The cycle ahead

The 2025 cycle is nearing. As I always say, the previous class, in this case 2024, has little bearing on what the next class will look like. That’s a long-held observation but it’s been crystal clear the last few cycles.

Texas finished extremely strong in 2022 but that didn’t lead to early 2023 momentum. Texas had to wait until Arch Manning committed in June to get that class going. Recruiting was pretty much done in the Summer and it was a very long slog until 2024 picked up. 

So what does this mean for 2025? Every cycle has its own headwinds and tailwinds to navigate. The best tailwind Texas can have is if it wins out in the regular season, wins the Big 12, and makes the College Football Playoff. Even then the staff will have to work hard to put together a top 5 class.

What are possible headwinds? If the rest of the season disappoints that’s an obvious one. But another one is NIL. At this point too many people have a false sense of security regarding NIL because of the work of too few people. Texas fans should ignore what they hear from national pundits and rival fan bases. Texas’ current situation is not tenable. 

Future predictions

Until we get some data on how the next cycle is going to go, smart predictors will be very judicious with RPM’s for Texas to land elite prospects in the 2025 cycle. There will be plenty of easy predictions to make — some kids just really want to be at Texas — but elite prospects, or even good out-of-state prospects, are going to be a gamble to predict.

To be clear, with just a solid finish to the season Texas is going to have a good class in 2025. After all, there are the permanent tailwinds of rich tradition, great school, thriving city, and now, being in the SEC. But understand there are going to be some big wins and big losses. 

Like with the 2024 class, it’ll be wise to sit back and wait for the big picture to emerge rather than fixating on each pixel.

Good lord, that is nauseatingly self-satisfied.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This is correct....unless YOU, YES YOU PERSON READING THIS POST. Go and sign up at Texasonefund.org. You can be the start of Texas creating the death star for as low as $22 a month. Want to win, want to help charities, want to paint the University in a positive light...show it with your wallet!

So I guess the next logical question would be if Texas’ situation isn’t tenable currently, how many other schools have tenable setups? Or are we about to see sort of a market correction when it comes to NIL?

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This is correct....unless YOU, YES YOU PERSON READING THIS POST. Go and sign up at Texasonefund.org. You can be the start of Texas creating the death star for as low as $22 a month. Want to win, want to help charities, want to paint the University in a positive light...show it with your wallet!

Going to chip in more today.  What really helps is getting your friends to do the same.  We have to grow our base wide or we will get lapped.  The big dogs can't or won't do it for us forever.

I was watching the Baylor game with several friends.  All professional types and alums.  Told them if they want Texas to succeed, it is important for regular fans and alums with disposable income to make monthly donations to Texas One Fund and to dedicate it to football.  Let the billionaire and hundred millionaire types donate buildings and facilities.  Guys like these -- $200k to $1m a year in earnings, can donate $100 a month without noticing it.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Is Wingo solid?

The cycle ahead

Future predictions

What a jackass.    He is truly unlikable.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Going to chip in more today.  What really helps is getting your friends to do the same.  We have to grow our base wide or we will get lapped.  The big dogs can't or won't do it for us forever.

I was watching the Baylor game with several friends.  All professional types and alums.  Told them if they want Texas to succeed, it is important for regular fans and alums with disposable income to make monthly donations to Texas One Fund and to dedicate it to football.  Let the billionaire and hundred millionaire types donate buildings and facilities.  Guys like these -- $200k to $1m a year in earnings, can donate $100 a month without noticing it.

Yep exactly, we are asking for $22 a month. Even for someone making 75k that should be doable

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So I guess the next logical question would be if Texas’ situation isn’t tenable currently, how many other schools have tenable setups? Or are we about to see sort of a market correction when it comes to NIL?

Market correction is already happening. The Arch cycle was truly stupid and set ridiculous expectations for the next one. Now we are seeing that temper

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yep exactly, we are asking for $22 a month. Even for someone making 75k that should be doable

Yeah, I've been a burnt ends supporter since day one. Currently I have some legal expenses that I am waiting to go away and then I will set up my monthly contribution to the One Fund.

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin's handwringing is coming from one of the big donors who is fatiguing hard over NIL efforts. That person is justified in his personal outlook and pessimism. It can and probably should be argued that he's done more than anyone else to help Texas be an early leader in NIL for football specifically. That said, others, and not just friends of that dude, have put in some big money. Then there's mid-level money and the crowdsourced money. It's all building, but more shit needs to happen. 

There are big plans in regard to raising money for the future state and there are multiple events coming this offseason.

Other bigwigs are going to need to push in on a yearly basis to reach sustainability more sooner than later. Up to now, as we've stated many times, most of the big donors have turned their nose up to the notion of NIL.

Corporate continues to come on and needs to keep building. 

As to other schools, many are taking the approach of winning a few guys each cycle. That's tough to beat until you're stacked to the brim over the years. Others have a few big benefactors who will keep covering things into perpetuity if they're seeing results that they want. 

Overall, the predicted leveling off of all of this hasn't materialized. I'm sure it will, but with each coaching change somewhere, you have new entrants entering the chat with deep pockets for a cycle. Auburn is a good example this cycle. They're promising all kinds of shit to guys pretty far down the scale of impact and importance. When they're pushing 6 figures for years at OGs, it requires some pause.

• Hook 'Em 9

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

People truly vote with their dollars, but I'm not sure what percentage of Texas fans consider themselves diehards or casuals. That said, it doesn't make sense to be so attention-invested in a team's outcome without wanting to do anything to increase the likelihood of a positive one.

All they can do is continue to raise awareness of the issue, maybe more data can be presented at this point too.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Did it. In for $40 a month. Would be cool if there was a badge @RGBIII similar to Burnt Ends. 

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 11.33.56 AM.png

@RGBIII wrote that email, so send all of your very justified criticisms to him.*

*While seeing a mispelling and assuming it is me is perfectly fair, in this instance, it's unwarranted. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

As to other schools, many are taking the approach of winning a few guys each cycle. That's tough to beat until you're stacked to the brim over the years. Others have a few big benefactors who will keep covering things into perpetuity if they're seeing results that they want. 

It's all going to be pretty interesting to see how the market shakes out over the next couple of cycles.  I have a friend on the staff of another top 10 NIL program.  He told me they basically shot their load last year due to a unique circumstance with a single booster and they are desperate for more to help out.  Preaching to the choir on this board but Texas really has an opportunity to build a solid foundation and lead the pack if more people would step up.   

How many monthly donors are we at for football now?  I bet it's still an embarrassingly low number. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

PXL_20231026_172036941.thumb.jpg.72f0cb41f7e59a4416bbd922effa286b.jpg

Not bad looking, but when my wife asked "What is that thing" and I told her it was for a donation for Longhorn Football, she rolled her eyes and said "Jesus Christ". 

I neglected to mention to her that it was a recurring donation. 

So, in keeping with the Happy Wife Happy Life mantra, I'm going to not flaunt my car decal.

You got a car decal. Is there a level that returns to you car bling?

29 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

PXL_20231026_172036941.thumb.jpg.72f0cb41f7e59a4416bbd922effa286b.jpg

Not bad looking, but when my wife asked "What is that thing" and I told her it was for a donation for Longhorn Football, she rolled her eyes and said "Jesus Christ". 

I neglected to mention to her that it was a recurring donation. 

So, in keeping with the Happy Wife Happy Life mantra, I'm going to not flaunt my car decal.

Same and then she muttered some shit about not understanding what I spend my money on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

ND 995er on the Wingo recruitment:

F9YfuRcXUAAOr1F?format=jpg&name=mediumF9Yf1ixXkAAqZq-?format=jpg&name=mediumF9Yf13GWgAAhENP?format=jpg&name=medium

Loy's got a reasonable take, but he's incorrect on Texas with the upfront stuff. That isn't what Texas does, at all. Weighting things upfront is imprudent, especially with the portal and now everyone having the ability to pay players via their NIL.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You shouldn't have to mention shit to her. Be a fucking man. 

Me: This is going on your car.
Wife: What is it?
Me: It's an emblem for your car
Wife. Ok

I don't really want to weigh in on this nascent shit storm, but I am curious about something. If it's her car, doesn't she get to decide what you put on it? Isn't that just normal human behavior regardless of gender or relationship? 

d2eb7cb9-65bd-4a6e-9bdd-ae5f282afd14_tex

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You shouldn't have to mention shit to her. Be a fucking man. 

Me: This is going on your car.
Wife: What is it?
Me: It's an emblem for your car
Wife. Ok

I'm really not sure this is the flex you think it is. I'll let you ponder what I mean by that. 

7 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't really want to weigh in on this nascent shit storm, but I am curious about something. If it's her car, doesn't she get to decide what you put on it? Isn't that just normal human behavior regardless of gender or relationship? 

Blow-up dolls might be the answer to ending prison violence

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Different people do things differently. As long as both sides consent, who gives a fuck?