Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

To maximize his initial NFL contract he needs to stay, put on weight, get stronger, and show some durability.  Who's going to draft a guy high who has missed or been knocked out of multiple games every year he's played football?

the injuries are not the same - clavicle injury due to Turner's dirty hit and a sprained AC joint != nagging hamstring injuries or multiple ACL tears or wrist injuries

they type of injury matters as does how they got hurt. not like they were noncontact injuries

Edited by NoName

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Per Gerry, Tyanthony Smith is setting up an OV to Texas. Will either be for the Tech game or potentially a midweek visit after the season depending on his playoff schedule.

How deep of a run is Jasper expected to go? 

I see they play Kobe Black this week and if they win potentially Cuero next week.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

how can anyone take him returning/not seriously when he has 3-4 games left. potentially 33% of his season still to play (he's played in  games so far)

he isn't making a final decision to come back today, no matter what any of these dudes say.

The better draft guys have Ewers currently as a late 2nd to 3rd round guy. Early in the season they had him ranked as potentially the 3rd QB in the draft. He's behind several others now.

6 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The better draft guys have Ewers currently as a late 2nd to 3rd round guy. Early in the season they had him ranked as potentially the 3rd QB in the draft. He's behind several others now.

my point is he has 33% of his season potentially left to play and very easily could be the 3rd QB behind Williams and Maye still.

if he makes a decision today about coming back that's only because his shoulder is injured and he doesn't want to negatively impact his season

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

my point is he has 33% of his season potentially left to play and very easily could be the 3rd QB behind Williams and Maye still.

if he makes a decision today about coming back that's only because his shoulder is injured and he doesn't want to negatively impact his season

I think it's unlikely he quells any questions about his abilities to hit deep passes or stay healthy in 4 games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

To maximize his initial NFL contract he needs to stay, put on weight, get stronger, and show some durability.  Who's going to draft a guy high who has missed or been knocked out of multiple games every year he's played football?

Whether he stays or not he still has been knocked out of and missed every season he’s played up ‘till now.  Maybe he makes it through next year injury free,  maybe not.  An injury next year could lower his position even more.

Anyway,  I’m just guessing.

24 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I think it's unlikely he quells any questions about his abilities to hit deep passes or stay healthy in 4 games.

He has been much better on the deep ball this season, particularly in the last 3 or so games he has played. He has dropped a number of them in the bucket to Worthy and Mitchell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting point brought up by Justin Wells regarding Kobe Black is that his brother Korie still has a covid year remaining. He's mentioned this a few times already.

Could his brother hit the portal and change positions to safety at whatever school Kobe ends up at? Does he have good speed? 

Wardell Mack and Filsaime apparently have become close and text frequently. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 6

31 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He's still inconsistent.

He was close to having a 2 or 3 more passing TDs.

Brooks got tripped up on the short pass he took 73 yards.

Worthy just barely stepped out of bounds on one.

Worthy tripped over his own feet on that dime Quinn dropped.

Don't remember if he got his one passing TD on any of the drives above.

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

The only pass you listed that would be considered a deep ball is the one over the top to worthy where he lost his balance instead of running in for a TD. 

Quinn's biggest improvement from 2022 to 2023 is in the intermediate (10-20 yards).  He went from a 50% passer in the intermediate in 2022 to over seventy (71.4%) in 2023.

Deep balls he has almost the same completion percentage (30.8 completion in 2022 - 33.3 in 2023).

He's actually completing fewer "Big Time Throws" (what PFF calls 'NFL type' throws deeper and into tighter windows)in 2023.  8 this season compared to 19 last year.  Part of that is Quinn taking fewer risks and completing the check-downs. 

2023:

image.thumb.png.5142fef8e167bd19b7bbced9c14f4cba.png

2022:

image.thumb.png.bb250cc0c46fad18b40d1ec52cfcd945.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

If he can’t get confidence from his last throw of the game(even though it was mostly AD), I don’t know what to tell ya. Russell threw the same thing last night and Ewers looked better. Let them run under it but remember worthy can’t touch grass so there’s no dive in his catch radius so cut his back a couple feet. 

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

If he can’t get confidence from his last throw of the game(even though it was mostly AD), I don’t know what to tell ya. Russell threw the same thing last night and Ewers looked better. Let them run under it but remember worthy can’t touch grass so there’s no dive in his catch radius so cut his back a couple feet. 

Talk of confidence keeps coming up this year for Ewers.  
I hope he's able to end the season on a major upswing.

9 hours ago, NoName said:

how can anyone take him returning/not seriously when he has 3-4 games left.

No Sir, he has five games left.  

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, Shonen said:

Aren't they losing like 20 guys to the draft & heck even their HC to the Chicago Bears? 

Yea they have like 17 Seniors and Super Seniors starting, not to mention McCarthy will more than likely declare for the draft. They’ll still be a decent team I’m sure but they won’t be in the same ballpark of the team they are this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Yea they have like 17 Seniors and Super Seniors starting, not to mention McCarthy will more than likely declare for the draft. They’ll still be a decent team I’m sure but they won’t be in the same ballpark of the team they are this year. 

Plus their Sign Thief has left the building.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bamboozled73 said:

He probably works for a dollar per year. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Only way I could get on board with him in that role with us would be to have a ceremony out on the field each time he lands a big fish (or beats aggy in a H2H recruiting fight) where we hand him a giant check from the 12th Man Foundation, without whom none of this would be possible.