Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

34 minutes ago, bwub60 said:

Yeah Jaun Davis is to small for how much we run split inside and outside zone and how much GH counter. Sanders is 6'4 240 and a decent blocker. Davis is 215 and I dont think they want him kicking out edges or leading on LBs. Much less blocking someone on PA Pass plays. Hell Sanders isnt good at that. We need a true H-Back type that can do all the dirty work along with being a threat in the short and intermediate pass game. 

I've seen people mention Juan Davis as a portal guy - but unless he already has his degree I don't see that happening.  He's spent three years in this offense and certainly by this point knows what his 'fit' is if any.  He plays on ST's and has played in 10 games this year (including all of the 4th quarter snaps with Arch) - so he's not somebody the coaches are looking to bury.  I'm guessing we see one more year of Juan.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

We've had exactly two players like that in the last 20 years.  Thomas and Irby.  They are just extremely hard to find.  Gunnar Helm is probably the best option next year.

The guy from Cali JC - Geoff Swaim.

@Dondrysdale1 beat me to it.

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

He was not an intermediate threat.  He was a threat to get 5 on 3rd and 6.  

59 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Yes because we had either a wr or a future tight end throwing to him at Texas

When we're shitting on our pathetic past, lets not forget to assign blame on our shitty scheme and playcalling. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Beck, Swaim?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

The guy from Cali JC - Geoff Swaim.

@Dondrysdale1 beat me to it.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

still in the league with the Cardinals

Geoff Swaim is in the league because he can block. It’s his 8th year, he’s only had more than 13 catches in a season twice.

He’s very good at what he does, but I wouldn’t consider him a threat in the intermediate pass game.

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not sure Juan Davis is a fit in our offense.

Our TE depth looks like this next year basically:

Gunnar Helm(Sr)
Spencer Shannon(RS-Fr)
Will Randle(Rs-Fr)
Jordan Washington(Fr)

Adding an extra tight end to this class seems like a smart move considering Sark loves 12 personnel and for 2025 forward.

Doesn't he do 21 personnel with 2 RB's and 1 TE? We need to poach an Iowa TE. Surely they have one to spare 

16 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Geoff Swaim is in the league because he can block. It’s his 8th year, he’s only had more than 13 catches in a season twice.

He’s very good at what he does, but I wouldn’t consider him a threat in the intermediate pass game.

Any TE in the league for 8 years is a receiving threat at the college level.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I just went back and watched all of Juan Davis's snaps against Tech. He at least knows what he's doing. He didn't blow any assignments, so that's good. But he blocks by just throwing his shoulder into guys. It's kind of weird. It makes sense if you're just sealing the backside against a larger defender, but not as an every down thing. He did have one good lead block to spring a Red run, but even then it looks like he led with his shoulder then engaged the defender. This was the only play I saw where he was just really slow and out of position. 

Anyways, as others have said, the complete TE is difficult to fine. Unicorns that have Sanders's receiving ability or Beck's kick return ability are hard to come by. I'm perfectly happy with Helm as TE1 the next two years. Davis will need to develop to be TE2 but I don't think we should be writing him off given that development seems to be a thing around here now. People had forgotten about Helm 6 months ago and said TE was a major portal need before the season.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Geoff Swaim had 13 catches in 2 years at Texas.  He's still playing on Sundays because he's really good at blocking.  Sometimes it's just that simple.

Sark would love to have that on the team.. Here are the PFF grades for Helm and Sanders

Pass PBLK RBLK
Sanders 73.30 58.5 57.7
Helm 61.00 52.2 46.6

image.png

Edited by Codaxx

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Helm's trajectory at this point is a well-rounded TE that plays for a while in the NFL. I'm not talking elite at anything, or reaching All SEC or the early rounds of the draft, but he looks like a guy that is developing into a quality overall TE. 

Jordan Washington is already up over 240 and will likely add another 15 pounds by fall camp. He still has that basketball build with minimal upper body strength comparatively. I would imagine he will get some run next year as a field stretcher. and could make for a good second move TE to exploit coverages. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

Jordan Washington is already up over 240 and will likely add another 15 pounds by fall camp. He still has that basketball build with minimal upper body strength comparatively. I would imagine he will get some run next year as a field stretcher. and could make for a good second move TE to exploit coverages. 

Bumped into the kid next to the LHN set on Bevo Blvd last week. Would have guessed he is well under 200lbs but I guess my fluffy body distorts my perspective on weight.

• Haha 2

Sark uses the H/TE2 as a blocker first, route runner second, and receiver third. I'm perfectly happy with Helm in that role for the foreseeable future, and that's his ideal fit imo. Who plays Y is the harder question to answer, and idk that there's one on our roster right now. Maybe Shannon can catch? Probably not. 

2 minutes ago, Ryno said:

Bumped into the kid next to the LHN set on Bevo Blvd last week. Would have guessed he is well under 200lbs but I guess my fluffy body distorts my perspective on weight.

He said his weight himself on a livestream a couple of weeks ago. I would think it is because most of his weight is in his lower body right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Reminder that Sark put together one of the best offenses ever and won a national championship with Miller Forristall and Jahleel Billingsley as his TEs. They combined for 41 catches, 540 yards, and 4 TDs. Alabama averaged 48.5 points. 

Granted, that offense was loaded at every other position. But just wanted to provide some more context. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Any TE in the league for 8 years is a receiving threat at the college level.

This is just demonstrably false.

Swaim was a blocking TE in JuCO too. He only had 11 catches his last year at Butte CC. And he didn’t even play TE in high school. At no point in his life has he been a receiving threat.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Not saying you're wrong, but Sanders was an early enrollee and didn't hardly see the field at TE (mostly played special teams) his true freshman year. Outside of QB, I'd bet TE is the position with the steepest learning curve in this offense. I am skeptical of a true freshman contributing there in any meaningful way. 

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not saying you're wrong, but Sanders was an early enrollee and didn't hardly see the field at TE (mostly played special teams) his true freshman year. Outside of QB, I'd bet TE is the position with the steepest learning curve in this offense. I am skeptical of a true freshman contributing there in any meaningful way. 

Sanders never played TE a day in his life before stepping foot in Austin. He also didn't have the mentality needed to take advantage of the opportunity right away. Kudos to him and the staff for getting him right enough in such a short period of time.

Washington is already somewhat familiar with the position, but he isn't the athlete JT is. He's plenty athletic though

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Helm's trajectory at this point is a well-rounded TE that plays for a while in the NFL. I'm not talking elite at anything, or reaching All SEC or the early rounds of the draft, but he looks like a guy that is developing into a quality overall TE. 

Seems like Helm is tacting in a positive direction.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would agree with this. The biggest obstacle for young TEs to find playing time is blocking. Most these guys are not asked to do much blocking in HS and are rarely ready to take on a grown man at DE in year 1.