USMNT 2021

Napoleon

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If Greg figures that last bit out and has Pulisic start playing as a forward 6 with maybe Weah and Reyna on the edges I'd buy in further.

You keep talking about how Pulisic should play the 6 but I'm not sure that you understand what the 6 is. We don't want to pull Pulisic away from the attack.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No he's just a pandering moron that gets off seeing himself on TV. And I appreciate what he did for our senior team but he's the Stephen A Smith of US Soccer.

I thought Taylor Twellman was the Stephen A Smith of US Soccer?

8 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

You keep talking about how Pulisic should play the 6 but I'm not sure that you understand what the 6 is. We don't want to pull Pulisic away from the attack.

Yeah I think I mean a general 8. Sorry for the confusion. I should just say CAM instead of a number because the numbers mean different things under different circumstances. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I think I mean a general 8. Sorry for the confusion. I should just say CAM instead of a number because the numbers mean different things under different circumstances. 

CAM used to mean #10

El Enganche

Diego Armando Fucking

M A R A D O N A

EL D10S

• Hook 'Em 1

Our back line is atrocious any of y'all that follow the sport more than I do can you tell me how far is Chris richards from making an impact in this squad? 

He should have been starting and he will be by WC Qualifying time. Don’t think he’s fully recovered yet
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

CAM used to mean #10

El Enganche

Diego Armando Fucking

M A R A D O N A

EL D10S

I'm really smashed right now. We can revisit position number stereotypes tomorrow. Pulisic for CAM.

Fuck El Tri. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

He (Chris Richards) should have been starting and he will be by WC Qualifying time. Don’t think he’s fully recovered yet

as we saw with mark mckenzie tonight, 10ish games in europe and 3 or 4 prior senior caps does not mean you are ready for the highest level (qualifiers or full international tournament) or any game in concacaf.  richards is possibly a new balboa/pope/gooch/brooks, but he needs at least another 1000 club minutes in competitive fixtures before i would start him over ream, miazga, etc., next to brooks.  richards is bayern property; his loan to hoffenheim (bundesliga 11th) was only through the end of the season, so he needs a home soon because he is not going to start for bayern and we need him to get real minutes immediately in august

• Hook 'Em 2

in closing for the evening, i am not on a beerholder bandwagon, i think davies is misguided when he says the players are buying in to the system (what system?), i think the talent was responsible for gritting it out, and gregggg's "tactical decisions" were simply substitutions until proven otherwise.  exhibition players still made it on to the pitch.  beerholder did not have them ready to play at the first whistle and only after getting punched in the mouth by concacaf/tri bitchassedness did the players get pissed, wake up, and fight back.  we got bailed out by var; if tri got the 2nd goal then there is no reyna poach and it ends 3-1 at best.  biggest issue of the night was when it was clear tri were going to attack down the right and go after ream beerholder did not adjust.  the only compliment i will extend to beerholder is that when he did bring on exhibition players, he didn't ask them to do very much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

in closing for the evening, i am not on a beerholder bandwagon, i think davies is misguided when he says the players are buying in to the system (what system?), i think the talent was responsible for gritting it out, and gregggg's "tactical decisions" were simply substitutions until proven otherwise.  exhibition players still made it on to the pitch.  beerholder did not have them ready to play at the first whistle and only after getting punched in the mouth by concacaf/tri bitchassedness did the players get pissed, wake up, and fight back.  we got bailed out by var; if tri got the 2nd goal then there is no reyna poach and it ends 3-1 at best.  biggest issue of the night was when it was clear tri were going to attack down the right and go after ream beerholder did not adjust.  the only compliment i will extend to beerholder is that when he did bring on exhibition players, he didn't ask them to do very much.

I completely agree with you and I appreciate your soccer mind as it's one of the best on this sub even though I think you at times struggle to capture in language what you are envisioning on the pitch - 

THAT SAID -

Enjoy this win man. This was El Tri in a comp and we rolled out a very young, very inexperienced crew against them and defied shit reffing and defied shit management and won the game. Celebrate a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Holy shit. Did they show the assholes running onto the field? First dude had a solid run but slipped. Second one got tackled quickly

Yeah but you probably had a better view of them than we did on the CBSSN broadcast considering the first dude ran in and then out of the camera frame. I don't recall seeing him fall on camera, but he was running/stumbling. The second dude got taken down by 3-4, IIRC but he was closer to one of the sidelines.

54 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

So, same as always for US soccer..need grit and a little luck to win

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

They have gotten way better with puto. Only  the warning one was loud. The other one that caused the stoppage was only a corner of fans

Yeah I think on the TV feed we didn’t hear it because they cut the audio for the stadium when the kickoff happened. 

Agree with @alincoln

I've been to 4 US/Mexico qualifiers and did not see a single issue with Mexico fans.  I heard the game a few years ago at Jerryworld was pretty bad.

And what a shock Grant Wahl responds with a puss tweet.  I don't like bad fan behavior either but F moving the game to noon because of some drunks.  

So just re-watched the extended highlights and I knew Ream was bad watching live, but he was way worse 2nd viewing. I say it all the time, but I have no idea what type of blackmail Ream has on the previous 3 or 4 coaches to keep getting the amount of run he does. Chris Richards is going to have to take that spot or we are in trouble. 

I'll own up to the CP call I made. I thought he looked tired in his last 3 or 4 Chelsea matches and he looked tired here as well. I know he wasn't getting much of the ball, but Gio was dealing with the same issues and was very influential when he was in. Glad he came through in the clutch and buried the PK. 

9 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.  Go back and watch John Brooks right before Guardado's PK.

What am I watching for exactly? He looks like he might be yelling "Noonan!" but I can't tell.

What I can tell is that Lozano was in the box big time before the kick. He was timing a run but gave up about 3 steps in and was EASILY 3 yards in the box. Glad that it was a non-factor.

image.png.2cacf84322f9e23fa8ec9f6a90961204.png

What a game.  I'm still the only guy I know who roots for USA number one, but has Mexico as his second favorite team.
Chalk it up to being really old.

Im die hard USA but our girls soccer team wears Mexico kits. They’re actually pretty legit looking.

41 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

So just re-watched the extended highlights and I knew Ream was bad watching live, but he was way worse 2nd viewing. I say it all the time, but I have no idea what type of blackmail Ream has on the previous 3 or 4 coaches to keep getting the amount of run he does. Chris Richards is going to have to take that spot or we are in trouble. 

I'll own up to the CP call I made. I thought he looked tired in his last 3 or 4 Chelsea matches and he looked tired here as well. I know he wasn't getting much of the ball, but Gio was dealing with the same issues and was very influential when he was in. Glad he came through in the clutch and buried the PK. 

Ream was never good at this level so I agree, he must have dirt on USSF masterminding a puppy murdering kennel or something (wait, sorry...he's there for his "experience").  We've never seen the level of talent the US currently possesses but one area with zero depth is CB.  Brooks may last til '26 and Richards is an extremely exciting prospect.  But past them?  Long...meh and currently crippled.  Miazga...meh.  MacKenzie...meh.  List of MLS level CBs with limited potential (Zimmerman et al)...meh.  Palmer-Brown and Carter-Vickers have yet to kick on.  Maybe Otasowie who is an interesting prospect but might be more DM than CB?

I get wanting to play 3 at the back because of Dest because so far he has shown to be hopeless in a back 4.  But you have to have the horses to do that and the US doesn't.  Maybe Dest needs to play wide like Fabian Johnson did.  Johnson was a fullback if I remember right and ended up playing mostly winger for the US (or was it the other way around?).  Anyways, 3 at the back is for Dest but find some fucking CBs to make it palatable.

Fabian played as a fullback for the US because we sorely lacked any quality at the position. For club, he generally played some spot in the midfield.

If we want to run Dest out there as a wingback, another FB needs to on his side, behind him. Someone with speed to recover. This reminds me a lot of what Chelsea does - they roll Reece James out as a wingback, allowing him to get forward a bunch, and then have Cesar Azpilicueta behind him to cover the huge amount of fields left in his wake. That feels like a good combo and a good role for Robinson or Cannon perhaps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Fabian played as a fullback for the US because we sorely lacked any quality at the position. For club, he generally played some spot in the midfield.

If we want to run Dest out there as a wingback, another FB needs to on his side, behind him. Someone with speed to recover. This reminds me a lot of what Chelsea does - they roll Reece James out as a wingback, allowing him to get forward a bunch, and then have Cesar Azpilicueta behind him to cover the huge amount of fields left in his wake. That feels like a good combo and a good role for Robinson or Cannon perhaps. 

Might be Justin Che before we know it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

Mexico may not beat the US for 10 years outside of Azteca if the US fed hires a real coach.  It's all over for the Mexicans and they know it.  

Mexico is going to lustily recruit dual eligibles that develop in the US system.  And they have a successful professional and minor league system to plug them in to.  They will be competitive, but with Canada's developing quality players and potential of Jamaica with more English developed players Mexico will not dominate Concacaf in the future.

US needs quality coaching equal or above Tata to dominate in the future.