87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Could they not have overrode the veto?

It’s murky whether they can override a veto done after the regular session sine die in a special session.  The TLC said in 1990 they can’t 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Fuck the quorum.  How do you do redistricting with no legislative staff, since Abbott so wisely vetoed the Legislature's budget?

If Abbott doesn't give a clean call for Article X appropriation and redistricting, that issue is going to be resolved by the courts.

With no staffers, I'm picturing Cecil Bell and Briscoe Cain standing over a printed version of the census report and an interactive version of the Texas State Map.  Exhaling dramatically, "Ewww boy, that's a lot of numbers.  We got anybody we can call to help on this math?  And look at this map, no way to tell where the blacks and the Jews are."  

But yeah, did anybody tell the GOP gunslingers...no legislative body can overturn our state legislative body.  But there are courts that can overturn our state courts.  

Bold strategy cotton.  

2100 leg staff may have just received their last paycheck. I wonder if health benefits etc are gone as well starting sept 1

Now that I think about it. Sept 1 will be their last paycheck.

Not sure how benefits would work. It’s going to be an ugly mess if not fixed by then. I can see a lot of them working one hour in sept to get credit and then checking out.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I wonder where they found that funding.

The border wall account?

"Of course Momma Dan's gonna help build the wall"  

With no staffers, I'm picturing Cecil Bell and Briscoe Cain standing over a printed version of the census report and an interactive version of the Texas State Map.  Exhaling dramatically, "Ewww boy, that's a lot of numbers.  We got anybody we can call to help on this math?  And look at this map, no way to tell where the blacks and the Jews are."  
But yeah, did anybody tell the GOP gunslingers...no legislative body can overturn our state legislative body.  But there are courts that can overturn our state courts.  
Bold strategy cotton.  
An outside political fuckwad group will happily draw up the new districts without needing the legislative staff.

Absolutely.  TPPF director and board have already tacitly boasted that they have already begun a corollary map redraw as a potential aide to the legislature. 

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

Assuming all 67 Dems were there, you could have a quorum with just 33 of the 82 Republicans.

10 of the more vulnerable Dems out of the 50 in DC could show up as a ploy towards their district and dip out again right before the 10 COVID Republicans show back up. 

Briscoe Cain won't be able to make roll call tomorrow morning.  Second Monday of August is Briscoe Day.  We all know what that entails.  He becomes the "M" in ATM.  

Hold the presses....errr the arrests

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/district-judge-temporarily-blocks-arrest-of-any-texas-house-members-breaking-quorum/

A state district judge signed a temporary restraining order Sunday that blocks law enforcement from arresting any House lawmakers who have broken quorum. 

Travis County State District Judge Brad Urrutia’s move temporarily restricts Gov. Greg Abbott and House Speaker Dade Phelan’s power to arrest or detain any of the House Democrats who fled to D.C. earlier this summer in order to kill the controversial, GOP-backed elections bill.

The order lasts 14 days, unless extended by Judge Urrutia.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Senate Committee hearing on the election bill started this morning, still going now. Gotta good "I've seen movies, I've seen Mission Impossible" from some poll watcher for the Libertarian party. Got a Wassdorf sighting as well sitting in front of Sen. Hughes

https://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=5&event_id=4241

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Aren't they still in DC? 

Not all, a bunch of them came back. I know Celia Israel (HD-50) is back but said no way in hell she’s stepping onto the House floor Bc they have the judge’s order protecting them. 

12 of them are in the chamber (all voted no), a handful are back in Austin but not at the Capitol and the rest are either in DC or didn't want to say (Zwiener was one who said she was leaving DC but refused to disclose where she was going).   

Edited by Js1

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:
House voted 80-12 to send law enforcement to get the quorum-breaking Dems under warrant of arrest.
Here. We. Go. 

So we have a clash between the Lege and the courts? Cool, cool.

ETA: I didn't see that SCOTX had granted stay pending mandamus of the lower court's TRO.

Edited by DDD Dad

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I get the emotional why, but is there a legal why? From what more knowledgable folks have posted on this thread it seems pretty cut and dry. It sucks in this case, but it is the law, and it is there to prevent the legislature from completely abdicating themselves of any responsibility of governing. What actually sucks is that there isn't a mechanism in place to prevent its abuse.