Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What do you want him to do? Our linebackers are iffy, our pass rush sucks. Our DBs aren’t very reliable. There’s not a lot of options for him. When he’s blitzed this year, we get beat. 

I think running a simple base defense with a 4 man front will probably yield better results.  I know Ash had Ossai but I hate these “exotic” schemes.  We saw it with Manny, Orlando, and now PK.  Keep it simple for your athletes.

• Like 1

Just now, victory88 said:

I think running a simple base defense with a 4 man front will probably yield better results.  I know Ash had Ossai but I hate these “exotic” schemes.  We saw it with Manny, Orlando, and now PK.  Keep it simple for your athletes.

PK ran a ton of 4 man fronts and he is keeping it simple. We only switched to 3 primarily at the end of the half.
Rushing  4 doesn’t do much when your edge rushers suck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

What do you want him to do? Our linebackers are iffy, our pass rush sucks. Our DBs aren’t very reliable. There’s not a lot of options for him. When he’s blitzed this year, we get beat. 
Figure out what your players do best and use it. While building on what you 'want to do'. The excuse after Ark was the defense was tired. What's the excuse today?

This is similar to the offensive game play after Arkansas. When the offensive coaches figured what their guys were good at.

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Figure out what your players do best and use it. While building on what you 'want to do'. The excuse after Ark was the defense was tired. What's the excuse today?

This is similar to the offensive game play after Arkansas. When the offensive coaches figured what their guys were good at.

I think the defense has looked pretty fucking far from excellent today, but special teams pretty much put 7 on the board for TCU :07 into the game (defense gets an assist for that incredible missed tackle on the TD). After that it's 13 pts given up while collecting a few turnovers... it's been okay-not-good

• Hook 'Em 1

PK is such a fraud.  I could shit a better defensive game plan than what he trots out there each week.  Shitty ass TCU walked 99 yards down field in no time and Texas didn't put up an ounce of resistance.  Fucking pathetic.  We'll never be good until he's gone.

Edited by Hairy Biped
  • Fuck You 13

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

PK is doing okay with what he’s got to work with

Yeah, he was given a 13 yard field to open the game, struggled in the first half and then figured some stuff out in the middle of the game. I do hate his prevent defense, though. He did the same against ULL and just let them go right down the field. He's making it way too easy. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

The substitutions and rotations on defense are stupid like our Herman era  rotations at the skill positions on offense.  After we were stuffed on 4th and goal and TCU took over at their own goal line, we played that series with our 3rd team defensive tackles and other reserves.   First play was a simple hand off that got them out to the 10 yard line.

Jett Bush playing lots of snaps, reserve DL in on crucial downs … WTF?  Particularly in the front 7, our coaches need to get over their idea of how things should be in a perfect world, or who has seniority or tries hardest in practice and needs to be rewarded, or whatever the fuck, and just keep the best options on the field given what we actually have.

This is the other thing they have to fix. No way Broughton and Murphy should be playing this many snaps together and we've been doing it all year.  Makes no sense at all. 

• Rage+1 1

They pretty much shut down TCU in the 2nd half. Giving up that 99 yard TD suck but I'm sure there will be ass chewing. Sark is going to call that out in the PC.

I'm generally happy with how this D's turned out with the shitty LBers that we have. Get some decent LBs next year and this defense is good.

How many catches did QJohnson have? Yea, fuck him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, he was given a 13 yard field to open the game, struggled in the first half and then figured some stuff out in the middle of the game. I do hate his prevent defense, though. He did the same against ULL and just let them go right down the field. He's making it way too easy. 

This is the other thing they have to fix. No way Broughton and Murphy should be playing this many snaps together and we've been doing it all year.  Makes no sense at all. 

I’d like to see him recruit some studs in the front 7 and show us what he’s really got. Starting a walk on at LB and having a non-existent pass rush is a recipe for pain. 

It seems like he’s scared to death (no MB) to give up the big play. He’s just content to let teams march the field at times, which is sanely frustrating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I’d like to see him recruit some studs in the front 7 and show us what he’s really got. Starting a walk on at LB and having a non-existent pass rush is a recipe for pain. 

It seems like he’s scared to death (no MB) to give up the big play. He’s just content to let teams march the field at times, which is sanely frustrating.

Yeah, when he's got elite guys up front, his defense becomes fun because they produce a lot more negative plays, but when he's got what we have, it turns into a lot of bend but don't break and just keeping the ball in front of you. It's not very fun to watch, but it can be effective, like it was for a big chunk of today's game. We definitely need to improve our execution moving forward and get more out of some guys up front.  I hoped we'd be better on D, but there's just a not a ton of studs on that side of the ball. Need to just keep improving. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On that 99 yard drive, PK put Dunn right on Duggan on the 3rd and Qb keep. Dunn messed it up.

Holy shit I’ve just witnessed Bama miss 4 tackles in the last two plays. There ain’t a LBer alive in today’s game that doesn’t miss tackles or get blocked. Our frontline LBers are solid. Depth hasn’t shown up yet.

We play light in the front both in size and bodies. They’re going to get gashed some. And when a missed tackle occurs you need a 2nd and 3rd tackler to show quickly. That’s more difficult in the light box.

I’m not saying it’s great defense, but the offense failed to put the game away. We won. We had good defensive moments. Keep working.

The key is likely Coburn-Sweat-Ojomo. Overall, there should be hope based on what we’ve seen.

46 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

PK is such a fraud.  I could shit a better defensive game plan than what he trots out there each week.  Shitty ass TCU walked 99 yards down field in no time and Texas didn't put up an ounce of resistance.  Fucking pathetic.  We'll never be good until he's gone.

What Did He Say GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

not impressed at all with the defense.  don't know where to lay the blame, but they are average as fuck at best right now.

No pass rush without blitzing. 351 total yards is a pretty decent showing in the Big 12, 20 points earned which was Kwiatkowski's goal. Missing our best CB. At least they didn't give up any huge passing plays. Running game outside of Zach Evans was non-existent.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

So far, outside of Arkansas, I've learned two things about our defense:

1) it sucks to watch, but often is more effective than it feels like it should be
2) it is really, really terrible at prevent

Gotta improve the DL and linebackers then we will know what it looks like. This year is a hodgepodge of players that don’t fit the scheme or lack the players period. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

So far, outside of Arkansas, I've learned two things about our defense:

1) it sucks to watch, but often is more effective than it feels like it should be
2) it is really, really terrible at prevent

Without any playmakers it’s certainly a bend but don’t break defense…which I will take any day over a Diaz/Orlando type break but don’t bend defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Defense played well today, not the best but not bad. 

They forced two turnovers (created two more offensive drives), suffered from bogus penalties/lack of holding penalties being called, and also weren't helped by mediocre offensive play calling. Yet they held TCU to 20 points until midway through the 4th quarter.

I think they did above average.

Edited by UDontKnow

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gotta improve the DL and linebackers then we will know what it looks like. This year is a hodgepodge of players that don’t fit the scheme or lack the players period. 

Safeties are also a liability. I think we have enough good corners, outside Jamison's two brain farts against Tech. I don't we are playing PK's preferred 2-4-5 defense, because we don't have the guys at Jack and X.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

They forced two turnovers (created two more offensive drives), suffered from bogus penalties/lack of holding penalties being called, and also weren't helped by mediocre offensive play calling. Yet they held TCU to 20 points until midway through the 4th quarter.

I think they did above average.

They suffered from mediocre offensive execution, the play calling was fine.

Edited by HtownHorn

I actually find it refreshing that when a guy misses a tackle there seems to be another guy  generally close by. It’s not flashy, but it seems reasonably effective. 
That is a huge difference between this defense and the "exotic" defenses of Diaz/Orlando.

With those guys, it always felt like one missed tackle and we give up 20 yards before anyone catches up.

Ideally we just tackle better, but at least if the first guy only slows the runner we seem to have help quickly.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

They suffered from mediocre offensive execution, the play calling was fine.

Absolutely not true.

Sarkisian was trying to force the passing game much too early on rather than letting it come to him. He's been way too obsessed about connecting on deep throws.

There needed to be more steady employment of Roschon and Keilan because the run was there for the taking virtually all game. It could have been much better communicated to Casey to take off when the pocket blew up to prevent eventual 3rd and long situations. Credit to TCU, they were defending the pass well throughout the game.

I get that Sarkisian hates kicking FGs and everyone is holding their breath when Dicker kicks, but goddammit take the guaranteed points on 4th and Goal (it was no more than a 20 yard FG attempt)--especially when you're on the road. That close to the goal line should have been hand the ball to Roschon quite possibly out of the wildcat formation.

Why go for two points when the XP was perfectly fine? And goodness the call to go to Moore on the 2 point conversion was horrendous!

Sarkisian left 4 points on in the 4th quarter alone. Mismanagement after defense/special teams forced turnovers led to a loss of up to 12 additional points (if each resulted in TDs+XPs).

The play calling was NOT fine. Sarkisian needs to improve that before next week. Good thing OU is struggling to score this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s almost like out D isn’t that great because we have 2 walk ons getting snaps and don’t have a single decent pass rusher. Maybe more exotic schemes would help. Maybe blitz the deep safety post snap, no way the offense would see that coming. 

maybemaybenotmaybefuckyourself.gif

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Absolutely not true.

Sarkisian was trying to force the passing game much too early on rather than letting it come to him. He's been way too obsessed about connecting on deep throws.

There needed to be more steady employment of Roschon and Keilan because the run was there for the taking virtually all game. It could have been much better communicated to Casey to take off when the pocket blew up to prevent eventual 3rd and long situations. Credit to TCU, they were defending the pass well throughout the game.

I get that Sarkisian hates kicking FGs and everyone is holding their breath when Dicker kicks, but goddammit take the guaranteed points on 4th and Goal (it was no more than a 20 yard FG attempt)--especially when you're on the road. That close to the goal line should have been hand the ball to Roschon quite possibly out of the wildcat formation.

Why go for two points when the XP was perfectly fine? And goodness the call to go to Moore on the 2 point conversion was horrendous!

Sarkisian left 4 points on in the 4th quarter alone. Mismanagement after defense/special teams forced turnovers led to a loss of up to 12 additional points (if each resulted in TDs+XPs).

The play calling was NOT fine. Sarkisian needs to improve that before next week. Good thing OU is struggling to score this season.

Cuz math

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I didn't mind the call to go for it, but felt like we should have been in wildcat on 3rd and 4th down. Also think we got a bad spot after the Worthy play. Looks like he was out at the 1 and the ball was marked at the 2.

Yeah 3rd down should have been a a play action pass of some sort, Sarkisian wanted to impose his will on Fatterson, but got beat on two bland play calls. It was interesting that we used two different LBs as lead blockers on those plays.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?