Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Let me preface this by saying I did NOT watch the whole game. I had a prior engagement and was only able to watch the first quarter and about 3 mins into the second.

So let me guess, Pete refused to come out of his coverage and Arkansas ran on us all night long, right? Everyone is yelling the sky is falling, and while they are not totally wrong, we need to remember who we are playing, what they do well, and the situation we were in.

1) You take a running team out of the game by getting up on them and forcing them to play catch up.

2) If you cannot do number one then you dedicate more bodies to the run game. Unless you have an elite defensive line, physical run teams require more bodies. Especially if that team has a legit running threat at QB. Now you are always outnumbered due to having to respect the QBs keeps. Force them to do what they cannot do, which is pass.

3) Do not allow your offense to grind to a halt, thereby keeping your defense on the field facing running play after running play for 4 quarters.

If you cannot or will not do 1 or 2, the defense is going to get worn down over the course of 4 quarters.

• Hook 'Em 3

I also did not get to watch until after the game, currently just hit 8:50 left in 3rd quarter.....

Shit just went sideways. It's 16-7 arkies, defense had just pulled an INT and gifted the O guaranteed points from field position where we ran Bijan to mediocre affect and found ROJO out of the backfield for one or two of apparently incredibly rare passes to RB this game..... Bijan and Rojo get us in the endzone. Card looks limpy and not throwing it away and getting mashed for a 1 yard scramble. Defense looks and feels like it's got it's head out of it's ass on the line. Even knowing the outcome, at this point the game totally felt fine, like it was road jitters and the small comeback was about to happen. Hindsight, this is the point to put in casey and blame hudson limpy ankle. 

nope.

Arkie goes max protect while we rushed 3 or 4, had a bunch of mid level defenders guarding nobody, and they hit over the top with a long throw to a WIDE OPEN WR on the left side. Stadium explodes. Defense is standing there like they can't believe they just got bombed. 3 or 4 plays later the arkies are in the endzone after running the same play over and over with tempo. Texas looks without gas.

up to this point, game changing plays that didn't execute...... JWhitt drop/bad throw for TD. Another JWhitt drop on and underthrow.....

Following drive, another miss on Worthy open down middle.... Then another wide right launch to JWhitt who beat his man. 

there's the 4th down attempt stuffed in the backfield after a 3rd and 4 with a bunch of 5 yard hitch routes but no throw and card tried to scramble to no affect. 

yeah i'm turning it off. i'll watch Casey tomorrow. 

scratch that. defense is already exhausted but held them to a FG. This D has a fighting spirit. Offensive line is baby shit. that's my takeaway.

It took way to long to figure out running on first down set up 2nd and long and 3rd and long. Criminal lack of use of Bijan in the pass game. Card missed open guys when we took shots. Our line is made of tissue paper but we didn't call the game as if that was the case.

Lot's to learn from and see if we can grow. Better skullfuck the rest of the schedule. 

Edited by cam4mav
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Let me preface this by saying I did NOT watch the whole game. I had a prior engagement and was only able to watch the first quarter and about 3 mins into the second.

So let me guess, Pete refused to come out of his coverage and Arkansas ran on us all night long, right? Everyone is yelling the sky is falling, and while they are not totally wrong, we need to remember who we are playing, what they do well, and the situation we were in.

1) You take a running team out of the game by getting up on them and forcing them to play catch up.

2) If you cannot do number one then you dedicate more bodies to the run game. Unless you have an elite defensive line, physical run teams require more bodies. Especially if that team has a legit running threat at QB. Now you are always outnumbered due to having to respect the QBs keeps. Force them to do what they cannot do, which is pass.

3) Do not allow your offense to grind to a halt, thereby keeping your defense on the field facing running play after running play for 4 quarters.

If you cannot or will not do 1 or 2, the defense is going to get worn down over the course of 4 quarters.

Amazes me how people don't understand this. If the offense does anything at all before Q4, this game looks a lot different for the defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Amazes me how people don't understand this. If the offense does anything at all before Q4, this game looks a lot different for the defense.

Yep-

Through the 2000's the Baltimore Ravens had the best defense in the NFL. However, sometimes their offense was down right inept, so they weren't ranked the best statistically. There were a lot of things PK did wrong on Saturday after a rewatch. However, if you think you are going to 3 and out all game and your D isn't going to suffer then you need to take a long look in the mirror.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cam4mav said:

I also did not get to watch until after the game, currently just hit 8:50 left in 3rd quarter.....

Shit just went sideways. It's 16-7 arkies, defense had just pulled an INT and gifted the O guaranteed points from field position where we ran Bijan to mediocre affect and found ROJO out of the backfield for one or two of apparently incredibly rare passes to RB this game..... Bijan and Rojo get us in the endzone. Card looks limpy and not throwing it away and getting mashed for a 1 yard scramble. Defense looks and feels like it's got it's head out of it's ass on the line. Even knowing the outcome, at this point the game totally felt fine, like it was road jitters and the small comeback was about to happen. Hindsight, this is the point to put in casey and blame hudson limpy ankle. 

nope.

Arkie goes max protect while we rushed 3 or 4, had a bunch of mid level defenders guarding nobody, and they hit over the top with a long throw to a WIDE OPEN WR on the left side. Stadium explodes. Defense is standing there like they can't believe they just got bombed. 3 or 4 plays later the arkies are in the endzone after running the same play over and over with tempo. Texas looks without gas.

up to this point, game changing plays that didn't execute...... JWhitt drop/bad throw for TD. Another JWhitt drop on and underthrow.....

Following drive, another miss on Worthy open down middle.... Then another wide right launch to JWhitt who beat his man. 

there's the 4th down attempt stuffed in the backfield after a 3rd and 4 with a bunch of 5 yard hitch routes but no throw and card tried to scramble to no affect. 

yeah i'm turning it off. i'll watch Casey tomorrow. 

scratch that. defense is already exhausted but held them to a FG. This D has a fighting spirit. Offensive line is baby shit. that's my takeaway.

It took way to long to figure out running on first down set up 2nd and long and 3rd and long. Criminal lack of use of Bijan in the pass game. Card missed open guys when we took shots. Our line is made of tissue paper but we didn't call the game as if that was the case.

Lot's to learn from and see if we can grow. Better skullfuck the rest of the schedule. 

Out of rep, but this.

3 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Card is not the guy.  Sam could make chicken salad out of hermies chicken shit sometimes.  Card proved he cannot.  He needs to sit a couple years.

Card can be the guy down the line, but he failed horribly in his first road start. He's not nearly as gritty as Sam or Casey.

He's a gamer, but he's also terrified of making mistakes.

I would have felt better about the defense if we stacked the box and made them throw the ball consistently to score. Jefferson was hitting throws from time to time, but they were gashing us and we never really stopped the bleeding once they started to.

The terrible offense/turnovers conrtributed, but we didn't do enough to adjust before we bled out either.

Just now, Atticus said:

Card can be the guy down the line, but he failed horribly in his first road start. He's not nearly as gritty as Sam or Casey.

He's a gamer, but he's also terrified of making mistakes.

I would have felt better about the defense if we stacked the box and made them throw the ball consistently to score. Jefferson was hitting throws from time to time, but they were gashing us and we never really stopped the bleeding once they started to.

The terrible offense/turnovers contributed, but we didn't do enough to adjust before we bled out either.

Late 3rd or early 4th. 3rd and 2 from our 40. Both safeties are 10 yards deep. They convert with the run.

They completed 4 passes over 10 yards. One of those was 10 yards. One was 11. The 45 yarder I’m not sure what was supposed to happen but Jamison trailed by 10 yards, Thompson broke to the middle.

Much of this team’s performance is correctable. Will the coaches be willing to let go of their stubbornness.

The Oline is what it is, but they get no help from the staff. No chipping from the RBs. Early play calling allowed Arkansas to be aggressive and gave them nothing to cause any hesitation.

Listen fellas. Step away from the ledge.

Defensively we got whipped by a physical running team. For the guys that don't know what was happening out there. They are a read team with a serious runner at QB. They allow a defensive player to be left unblocked so that they can get to your second level and get a hat on you. We are not good enough to overwhelm a physical team like that up front. Not many teams have the tools to do that to you. So when you see it happening just sit back and take it in and realize it is what it is. These kinds of games are going to happen until we get some big time talent back in here.

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Except for that we also managed to make the scrub Arky QB look like Tom Brady the few times he did decide to throw.

25 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Defensively we got whipped by a physical running team. For the guys that don't know what was happening out there. They are a read team with a serious runner at QB. They allow a defensive player to be left unblocked so that they can get to your second level and get a hat on you. We are not good enough to overwhelm a physical team like that up front. Not many teams have the tools to do that to you. So when you see it happening just sit back and take it in and realize it is what it is. These kinds of games are going to happen until we get some big time talent back in here.

ha.  Arkansas sucks.  they will win 5 games.  

Texas got "Art Briles'd with a real OL coach".

We don't have the Clemson/Bama level depth at the front 7 to keep our defense on the field for 2/3 of a half and expect to shut down a physical rushing attack. It is disappointing to see or defense fold in the third quarter, but they had zero help from the offense and special teams in the first half. Also, our first score came form a short field caused by a circus INT catch by Foster. Those defensive linemen and linebackers knew the game was over when we kept trotting Card out after the first drive of Q3.

Even if our offense had its shit together, we still probably would have lost in a shootout because our defense was terrible.  One thing that was so baffling was the gameplan.  Their QB can't pass well and they are a run heavy team.  So load the box and make him beat us deep?  Nope - that's just what they'll expect us to do!!

Take the clip below.  

15-Texas-vs-Arkansas-Highlights-College-Football-Week-2-2021-College-Football-Highlights

We're in our standard defense with only 6 DL/LB and a 2 deep shell.  We're asking the following guys to hold the edge to the top of the screen: Bush  (230 lbs - former walkon), who gets double teamed initially ; Brockermyer (220 lbs, former walkon); Thompson (DB, 188 lbs);  These guys are going up against massive OL and TEs.  Even if Thompson has better gap integrity, this play probably still goes for at least 8-9 yards just by alignment and personnel.  You really expect that kind of front to hold up against a power rushing perimeter attack? Why not bring down a safety and sub out a DB for more of a run stopper? I realize our personnel are limited, but you gotta do what you can as a coach to help them out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Even if our offense had its shit together, we still probably would have lost in a shootout because our defense was terrible.  One thing that was so baffling was the gameplan.  Their QB can't pass well and they are a run heavy team.  So load the box and make him beat us deep?  Nope - that's just what they'll expect us to do!!

Take the clip below.  

15-Texas-vs-Arkansas-Highlights-College-Football-Week-2-2021-College-Football-Highlights

We're in our standard defense with only 6 DL/LB and a 2 deep shell.  We're asking the following guys to hold the edge to the top of the screen: Bush  (230 lbs - former walkon), who gets double teamed initially ; Brockermyer (220 lbs, former walkon); Thompson (DB, 188 lbs);  These guys are going up against massive OL and TEs.  Even if Thompson has better gap integrity, this play probably still goes for at least 8-9 yards just by alignment and personnel.  You really expect that kind of front to hold up against a power rushing perimeter attack? Why not bring down a safety and sub out a DB for more of a run stopper? I realize our personnel are limited, but you gotta do what you can as a coach to help them out. 

Todd Orlando's retarded tite front would probably look better than what happened on that play.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, the answer here is not "oh, the defense was fine, they were just worn out because our offense sucked so it's not really their fault."

We didn't gameplan for Arkansas well at all. This is the veer-and-shoot, which we have run before. You need a very specific gameplan to beat it, and that gameplan isn't keeping six men (including two walk-ons!) in the box and dropping into zone.

• Hook 'Em 2

This was Pete's learning experience against the veer-and-shoot. We all know it well and how to defend it. Shit, Strong was actually decent against it when he was here. The defense didn't get any help from the offense and might've held up ok if we made it a shootout, but the defensive strategy and gameplan wasn't ideal.

The bright side is no one runs it in the conference anymore and Pete's more adept defending air raid and passing spread teams. If Tech gives us trouble, light a cigarette for the conference firing squad.

Now let me preface this by saying the defense was not good....but they were set up to fail by the ineptness of the offense.

3 and out on your first 6 drives?  That's gonna gas your D...which it did.

Red Zone D was good...can you imagine this board had we not held them to FG's on those 2-3 possessions?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Tell me what recruiting service listed Arkansas classes even close to ours over the last 4 years.

31 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

we missed the tackle at the LOS, no reason for that play to work

We missed the tackle because our edge defender was a blitzing DB tangled up at the point of attack by a guy who has 100 pounds on him.  That's not sound defense against a run heavy team.  That's very Todd Orlando.  

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah this one wasn’t a scheme issue. Some dudes got beat. Safety missed the tackle in part because it got upfield a bit too much.

Yeah, it was.  6 in the box against that Arkansas team is foolishness.  Missing tackles is not solely about poor execution.  It's also about matchups and what you are asking players to do.  

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, the answer here is not "oh, the defense was fine, they were just worn out because our offense sucked so it's not really their fault."

We didn't gameplan for Arkansas well at all. This is the veer-and-shoot, which we have run before. You need a very specific gameplan to beat it, and that gameplan isn't keeping six men (including two walk-ons!) in the box and dropping into zone.

agree... but it was working as a 'bend don't break' in the first half... but the offense kept putting the defense back on the field... quickly.  Even if we game planned specifically for the BrilesRaid run offense, we were going to get worn the fuck down...  because Odom had a plan to shut Sark's RPOs down.  It's a simple plan, really... and it's what I would (try) to do against us if I were an upcoming opponent. 

Actually, we could have done the same thing against the arkansas run game... but we didn't. we could have dared them to PA or RPO us... we didn't.

Cross posted from the @satyanash 995 thread.

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Texas-Arkansas Postmortem: Defense/Special Teams

A run-first Razorback offense totaled 471 yards at 7.1 yards per play. Pretty good deal for them. On a risk-adjusted basis, that's like a treasury bill returning 38%. That requires very special market conditions, which Texas was happy to provide.

I don't know what offense Pete Kwiatkowski thought he was game planning for, but it wasn't the Arkansas Razorback veer-and-shoot led by 245-pound dual threat KJ Jefferson, coordinated by Kendal Briles, son of Art. I've seen a lot of questionable game plans from Texas defensive coordinators, but this was one was bad not only for the poor understanding of what Arkansas wanted to do, but for the inability to adjust when Arkansas started doing it. Either they stock the G2 with extra dumb at the Texas football offices or our heralded defensive coordinator spent all week watching film of Bobby Petrino's offenses in 2010.

Texas elected to defend that spread-to-run offense with a six man box, no real meaningful pressure packages, murky containment responsibilities, with no attempt at forcing KJ Jefferson into making accurate downfield throws under duress. Nor did Texas outnumber the box to force negative plays on the Arkansas running game and put the game on Jefferson's arm and brain, particularly as the game began to get away.

Instead, Texas played a defense designed for a traditional spread team, most horrifyingly displayed when the score went to 33-14 and Texas still had a theoretical chance of winning with a full quarter left to play. When Texas should be bringing the kitchen sink on the running game, Pete dialed up an honest box with zone coverage safeties deep like Tom Brady was wearing a helmet with a pig on it. Arkansas ran the ball every play down the field for a TD. 8 plays, 75 yards. On the field at defensive tackle for much of the drive? True freshman Byron Murphy and Vernon Broughton.

That's how you give up 333 yards rushing to an offense as interested in KJ Jefferson throwing the ball down the field reading progressions as our staff was in watching film of Arkansas. Was there a Lonesome Dove marathon on or something this week? Seriously, what did I miss? What were they doing? Does Gus still die?

Watch Ovie there. Why is he so far up field? Why does the backside linebacker (Gbenda) pursue ahead of the ballcarrier?

A little counter action attacking the alley. Jones and Brockermeyer are split and Jones gives up the edge. Look at #99 inside. What technique is that? Stand up, briefly hand fight, watch play.

Poor job setting the edge all game. Gave up a 32 yard run setting the edge with Schooler on a blitz while Jett Bush got double teamed play side. There are many things wrong with that sentence. Setting the edge with a DB blitzer - very Todd Orlando. Ovie Oghoufo played sparingly and when he did, he blew containment on the 26 yard Razorback TD as the Texas defense overran outside zone. Ovie did it again later on the same play. 4th and short early in the game? Blew containment on a KJ Jefferson zone read for an easy 13 yard run.

DL

Frankly, a lot of them seem weak, they aren't very technical, and I see a lot of high pads and hand fighting instead of attacking with a purpose. Maybe they're being asked to read and react rather than force the issue on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I can't explain it. Keondre Coburn is a problem for about five snaps a game (including a great walk back of an Arkansas guard that led to an early TFL). Too bad there were 62 other snaps. T'vondre Sweat had 5 tackles and hustled, but he's contesting with Vernon Broughton for president of the aim-high pad level club. Moro Ojomo had a nice TFL and had some good hustle tackles, but he's not being used to attack gaps. Alfred Collins played, so that's cool.

This defensive front needs better coaching and a re-evaluation of what the Horns are trying to do with them.

LB

Overshown and Brock are finesse linebackers who range around and clean up. They need cover to be effective. They combined for 12 tackles, but if the Texas DL isn't re-establishing the line of scrimmage and creating ugly pictures for the running back, they'll lose to physics. Jaylan Ford got some run and notched four tackles, but same deal.

DB

I actually thought they tackled very well early in the game and put in good effort. Things got sloppier late, but most of that is on the scheme allowing Arkansas a running game. We never really got to see how they'd do against the Razorback passing game. Anthony Cook played well. Nice solo hit on the tight end, a strong pass break up in the end zone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was.  6 in the box against that Arkansas team is foolishness.  Missing tackles is not solely about poor execution.  It's also about matchups and what you are asking players to do.  

Not this play. If you’re counting that safety outside the box, I’m not. That was 7 in the box. He beat the TE and just didn’t make the play.

Way too often we were 6 in the box with two deep safeties. That indeed was dumb. I think PK got it handed to him. And I would have preferred biggish bodies in a 4 man front.

Overall I’m with you but this tackle needs to be made.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This was one of the worst defensive performances I’ve seen.  We got man handled by a 1 dimensional Arky team that has had 3 losing seasons in a row.  Let that sink in.

We hired a top 3 DC?  Lmao, we need our money back.  Apparently the rest of the SEC knows how to stop them but our wizard DC was clueless.  

Hey PK!  You dumb fuck.  Let me teach you how you defend a run heavy team that struggles to throw.  You load up the box with big bodies.  You see what that dumb fuck aggy coach does? He basically plays 3-4 DTs on the line.  I’m sick of this 2 DL scheme with edges that are weak and light.  Our line up should have been Ojomo, Sweat, Coburn, Collins with a constant 4 man DL scheme with run stopping LBs.  You force them to fucking throw.  He let their version of Tyrone Swoopes look like a Heisman candidate.  

I’m so sick of this program.  Chris Ash was a better DC than this.  I seriously think we made a massive mistake with these hires.  Herman and company were not the answer but at least I know our team would play physical.  This team looked softer than a Mack Brown coached team and the entire team and coaches quit in the 4th quarter.  These coaches were clueless on how to attack and defend Arkansas.  It’s not like Sark hasn’t faced them either, he played this squad last fucking year.  This is the coach that’s supposed to lead us to the SEC?  We’re going to be Tennessee of the west.  Just sick of this program, sick of these coaches, sick of these players.  Same shit every year.  I stopped going to games under Herman.  I thought maybe I should buy season tickets again.  FUCK THAT! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Take the clip below.  

And this is what I meant about Pete sitting back in coverage.

The problem with defending this scheme is that they are reading you, and you have to account for the QB. So one of your defenders gets rendered insignificant, while playside they are getting a hat on everyone you have available. It's a tough look to defend, and the worry with loading the box is when they do pop a run that it gets housed. However, after a couple quarters of ineptitude by the O, you have to take a few more chances and see if you can't get a turnover or two, or at the very least shorten the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Tell me what recruiting service listed Arkansas classes even close to ours over the last 4 years.

We haven't done well with our front 7 and it shows. Our starting linebackers are a walk on and a former safety. You are asking a guy who lacks a bit of athletic ability and a guy who is light in the ass to shed 320lb linemen and make tackles when they are outnumbered in the box.

39 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We haven't done well with our front 7 and it shows. Our starting linebackers are a walk on and a former safety. You are asking a guy who lacks a bit of athletic ability and a guy who is light in the ass to shed 320lb linemen and make tackles when they are outnumbered in the box.

Are all of the OL and DL players recruited and signed by Herman, or are some of them attributed to Sark?

The DL's regression is very puzzling. They've been a strength the last couple years and most of them returned. Bo Davis has as good a track record as anyone so wtf is happening. They haven't played well in either game this year.

I noticed both games that they are very poorly conditioned too.

3 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Having a highly rated class doesn't mean shit if those highly rated guys aren't spread out. The only class he signed that was worth a shit was the 2018 one and it was filled with overrated receivers and DBs. That 2019 class is horrifying to look at when you consider production.

This program has it's work cut out for it, and it's gonna start with loading up in the trenches from the transfer portal and from HS.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Having a highly rated class doesn't mean shit if those highly rated guys aren't spread out. The only class he signed that was worth a shit was the 2018 one and it was filled with overrated receivers and DBs. That 2019 class is horrifying to look at when you consider production.

This program has it's work cut out for it, and it's gonna start with loading up in the trenches from the transfer portal and from HS.

Then they better fuckin do it asap because the SEC is looming 

17 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Briles and Odom kicked our ass. They attacked everything we tried and won. If you are an arky fan, you feel good about how impressive it was. 

It did help that the Texas coaching staff treated this game like Louisiana and Rice and not like a team that could kick its ass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Exactly,

saying we don’t have the talent yet to compete with this offensive line is laughable. Coburn, Ojomo, Broughton, and especially Collins were all highly coveted by most major programs. They are plenty good enough to beat Arkansas. Scheme, coaching , and especially attitude/intensity are much bigger issues.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?