2021 NFL Offseason Thread -- Trades/Cuts/Free Agent Signings/Firings, Etc.

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Zach Wilson has been the consensus #2 qb for a while now. Some even have him over Lawrence. The Jets taking Lance over Wilson would definitely be a Jets move. 

Lol at ranking anyone over Lawrence. I know it's cool to try and be different, but Lawrence is on another level and it's not even close 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lol at ranking anyone over Lawrence. I know it's cool to try and be different, but Lawrence is on another level and it's not even close 

For the record, I agree. Just saying I’ve heard it from more than one person that follows this stuff for a living. If that’s who Shanahan is hand picking to trade up for, odds are he’s probably going to have a pretty decent career. 

31 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

For the record, I agree. Just saying I’ve heard it from more than one person that follows this stuff for a living.

do these people earn a living being entertainers in the press or working for NFL teams as scouts?

26 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

do these people earn a living being entertainers in the press or working for NFL teams as scouts?

Dan Brugler of the athletic, arguably the most reputable guy in the industry for draft coverage, said he’s heard it from more than a few scouts. So unless he is lying, or he was lied to, the answer to your question is scouts sho work for NFL teams. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hate said:

I fucking hate the 17 game schedule. It’s stupid. The season was perfect when dividid into the 4 quarters just like the games. I’ll still watch, but I won’t like it.

yep.  plus it throws off competitive balance with half the teams getting one more home game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Joe Thomas had a similar transformation after he retired. It's wild to me how often former NFL linemen retire and slim down; it's a lot of work for some of those guys to keep on so much functional weight while they are playing. Seems like rbs often retire and quickly balloon up to linemen size.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Joe Thomas had a similar transformation after he retired. It's wild to me how often former NFL linemen retire and slim down; it's a lot of work for some of those guys to keep on so much functional weight while they are playing. Seems like rbs often retire and quickly balloon up to linemen size.

Joe Thomas was on that gladiator style gameshow with the Rock and I had to do a double take when they mentioned who it was.  He slimmed down a ton. 

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He was one of the worst QBs in the league. The Jets did well to get the value that they did.

Yeah, this was good value for the Jets. I have no clue why the Panthers did this before the draft. It’s very possible one or two of the top 4 or 5 QBs in the draft fall to them or to a spot they could use those picks to trade up to. 
I don’t see how you value Darnold over those guys, especially when you don’t get the benefit of Darnold’s cheap rookie contract to build around. 

Jets have a lot of picks In this draft. I think their HC will wind up being great for them. They don’t have to pick up Darnold’s option and he needed a fresh start elsewhere. Panthers are going to have to get some more weapons with their remaining picks. If anyone can tap into Darnold’s potential it’s Rhule. I know they’d rather have had Watson but that whole deal is a fucking mess. 

Edited by Nicole44

Seems like a pretty reasonable trade for both sides to me. As good of a return that the Jets could hope for and there is a ton of upside for the Panthers. Darnold is only a few years removed from being a can't-miss prospect and he's still really young, only 23. Younger than Joe Burrow. 

Failing with Adam Gase and the Jets doesn't necessarily make you a bust. He'll be put in a much better position to succeed with Rhule and Joe Brady. 

tenor.gif

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, DougO said:

Darnold's talent was wasted in NY. He's still a better prospect than any 2021 draftee other than Lawrence. The Jets still don't have a clue what the draft is all about.

This is going to go up there with Dan Gilbert level hot takes that the Cavs win a championship before LeBron does.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

I don’t agree with this take. Getting a QB in the top 10, or more specifically top 3, means giving up a ton of capital to trade up; or being a shitty team and passing the opportunity to trade down to acquire more picks. Either way, a lot of opportunity cost to take a gamble if this tweet’s assumption is “who cares, even if it doesn’t work out you’ll still get something for him later!”

Jets gave up #6 overall and three 2nds to get Darnold, and now they have a 2nd, 4th,and 6th. Not exactly great ROI. 

Wentz was great before last year, which is why he still had value to get a 1 and 3. Even so, Eagles spent two 1s, a 2, a 3, a 4, and two defensive starters to get Wentz. Again, not great ROI.

Rosen was shitty but had only played one year for a terrible AZ team and had 4 years left on rookie salary. He was worth a gamble for the Dolphins, but getting a 2 and 5 isn’t good ROI for the Cardinals. 

So the tweet should be rephrased: “give up an extra 1, 2, and 3 on average to draft a QB any time you can, and if they suck you’ll get at least a 2 and a 4 for him later!”