Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

11 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Got my truck inspected today. Busiest place to get it done is a place owned by a woman I’m guessing is in her mid 70’s. She has another slightly younger woman working for her and all they do is inspections. It cost me 7 bucks for the inspection, and I’m guessing the State gets a chunk of that. How does she keep the doors open on just a portion of a 7 dollar job, plus paying an employee? There’s only so many hours in the day, and it’s a small city.

Is their a back door entrance to this place? I might have an idea...

• Like 2

you see on the internet sometimes british people - and especially anglophiles - fetishize this concept of "british humour" as if noone else in the world has comedy. 

especially a subset of it which they call "banter".  (its just bants mate, americans never understand it).  like ah yes, roasting your friends, this is revolutionary... totally alien concept nobody across the pond has ever heard of.

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a warning letter for CT SP regarding me speeding through a construction zone last week, which I probably did, but the letter states the incident happened at 1pm problem is I didn't leave home here in NY till after 2pm.  I've thought about questioning it but since it's only a warning why push my luck.  

On 7/8/2023 at 8:13 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I collect wheat pennies. Does anyone else do this? I don’t know why. I started doing it years ago. In high school at the latest, maybe when I was in junior high. I’m not obsessive about it but whenever I notice I have one, I throw it in a container. I’m sure I’ve spent any number of them over the years without realizing it. Recently I’ve noticed some because they’re not accepted by the automated checkout lane at the grocery.

I don’t think they’re worth much more than face value. The whole exercise seems kind of pointless. But I do it anyway. The other day I found one that was so dirty I could barely recognize it as a wheat penny but the self checkout rejected it. I started cleaning it and found that it was a steel penny from 1943. It’s hardly mint condition and still probably isn’t worth much but I thought it was kind of cool. That was a first.

IMG_6698.jpeg.a3fe9f48a60c284f95c40fdb388e7058.jpeg

IMG_6701.jpeg.1eb2de633c8a3523d2af0b73f6e9aa51.jpeg

I have a can full of those - collected by my parents.

Minted in WW2 because copper was in tight demand.

• Like 1

Discount Tire is turning to shit. The last 2 times I've been there were not good. First was a couple years ago for a balance & rotate because I had a BAD vibration. They found nothing wrong, but did the b&r and it still had a BAD vibration. Drove 12 miles to my local shop and they found a knot the size of a baseball on one tire. Wound up buying a set of Michelin from them. Today I stop for a b&r and the guy immediate goes into hard sell. Can't touch the front 2 because they are worn too bad. True they were worn, but still had plenty tread for rear position on a front wheel drive. Again I drive 12 miles to my local shop, b&r no problem. I know where my next set is coming from and it's 12 miles away from DT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 8:34 AM, closetohumping said:

Hey Wal Mart, if we're gonna do self checkout, don't be checking my receipts as I walk out.  I wasn't trained to be a cashier.

Fuck them if they ask for a receipt. I say no thank you and continue on my way. 

Different at Costco or Sam's, that's part of the membership agreement.

• Hook 'Em 1

Different at Costco or Sam's, that's part of the membership agreement.

I tell them I took the email receipt option at the self checkout and don’t have cell reception in the store.

11 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

This. The last and I do mean LAST time I used selfcheckout at Walmart I bought 4 12packs of DP and rang them separate to get a separate receipt for a DP promotion. I rang the rest of my stuff, paid, got a receipt and left. As I'm loading my car a WM manager comes up behind me and says I need you to come back inside and pay for the drinks. Now I could have just shown him the receipt, but he just pissed me off. I started aggressively walking toward him saying "You calling me a thief motherfucker?" The guy starts walking backward and I speed up repeating "You calling me a thief motherfucker?". After about 20 feet of this guy shitting his pants in reverse I pullout the receipt and literally shove it in his face. "This? This is what you want? You better pay closer attention or pay somebody that does before you call me a fucking thief!"

I don't use selfcheckout or go to that WM anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

[Any store, some employee]: Sir, self check-out has no wait.

Me: I'm sorry, I don't work here.

I used to loathe self-checkout. I would fuck something up every. Time.  
Now I’ve figured out that when I use it, I can bag my groceries the way that I want to. 

Edited by Kennythetiger
  • Like 1

I didn’t know you could season a cast iron pan on a stove top. I spent almost and entire day using the oven method to put on 3 layers of seasoning. Switched to doing it on the stove and put on another 4 beautiful layers within 3 hours.

I’ll still need to put it in the oven because the sides are a tad sticky, but the bottom is a chef’s kiss. 

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

I didn’t know you could season a cast iron pan on a stove top. I spent almost and entire day using the oven method to put on 3 layers of seasoning. Switched to doing it on the stove and put on another 4 beautiful layers within 3 hours.

I’ll still need to put it in the oven because the sides are a tad sticky, but the bottom is a chef’s kiss. 

Didn’t mention it is a Lodge skillet which comes with a slightly rough finish (imagine 100 grit sandpaper).

I had several bad layers of seasoning over the years so I used steel wool and sandpaper to get it down to bare metal in some places and then went further. The finish now isn’t exactly Teflon smooth, but it feels smoother than 400 grit paper. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RPM said:

This. The last and I do mean LAST time I used selfcheckout at Walmart I bought 4 12packs of DP and rang them separate to get a separate receipt for a DP promotion. I rang the rest of my stuff, paid, got a receipt and left. As I'm loading my car a WM manager comes up behind me and says I need you to come back inside and pay for the drinks. Now I could have just shown him the receipt, but he just pissed me off. I started aggressively walking toward him saying "You calling me a thief motherfucker?" The guy starts walking backward and I speed up repeating "You calling me a thief motherfucker?". After about 20 feet of this guy shitting his pants in reverse I pullout the receipt and literally shove it in his face. "This? This is what you want? You better pay closer attention or pay somebody that does before you call me a fucking thief!"

restraining order? 

This a legit thing a meat market I’ve gone to posted.   Who thought let’s season a breast just a little and tie a pickle to it and charge $8.99 a pound?!   Wtf   
IMG_4043.thumb.jpeg.25ceb2a82f977bd7406b3450a9e8fbc5.jpeg

So they’re suggesting you grill that breast with the pickle in the middle like that, or just remove it and eat the salmonella bomb while you’re cooking? I’ve actually grilled pickle brined chicken breast before, it was ok.
  • Haha 1

Dropped my kid and her pal off at the movies. Wandered around Lowes for an hour or so killing some time. They started announcing the store was closing in 15 minutes, then 10 so I skeedaddled out of the store. I was in the parking lot on the phone at 7:58 plus and saw two families heading into the store in no hurry. Who are these people?

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

This a legit thing a meat market I’ve gone to posted.   Who thought let’s season a breast just a little and tie a pickle to it and charge $8.99 a pound?!   Wtf   

IMG_4043.jpeg

Joke’s on you. It’s a pickel, not a pickle. Entirely different. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Dropped my kid and her pal off at the movies. Wandered around Lowes for an hour or so killing some time. They started announcing the store was closing in 15 minutes, then 10 so I skeedaddled out of the store. I was in the parking lot on the phone at 7:58 plus and saw two families heading into the store in no hurry. Who are these people?

Food/retail's worst nightmare. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

In much younger days I worked in several food establishments.  More often than you would think someone would pound on the door or the drive through window 15 or 30 minutes after closing time demanding that we open up and feed them.  It was fun to ignore them until they left. 

Or come in just before closing and camp out for an hour or more.  At one place we started turning off the TV at closing time, but some of the assholes would turn it back on.  At another we had to unplug the jukebox and video games at closing, whether someone was playing or not.  Fuck around, lose your quarters.  I don't give a shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yep.  You had the late arrivals who weren't happy with the options you offered and expected you to prepare up something fresh...  No dice, take it or leave it... They took it.  Then you have the negotiators trying to wheel n deal to spare you from any leftover waste, if you were nice or some pretty little thing then we can negotiate, otherwise, the employees will take it home. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:49 AM, Superhero said:

Finally getting around to watching the walking dead. So what’s with these people walking around in tank tops and shorts? I’d be wearing a football helmet, body armor made out of bits of plastic and lint, wearing 3 scarves, cut resistant gloves and rain boots 24 x 7. 

Your annoyances have only just begun. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/16/2023 at 6:18 AM, RPM said:

Love it!

We went to a drive-in in spring 2020 at first Covid-19 wave.  It was a pop up one but had a really good LED screen so you could see even with the sun still up.  We all parked so our cars were "socially distanced" and then turned our cars off because it was nice enough out in April/May.  Growing up in Chicago, we'd do in the summer, where again you could watch with your car off.  Seriously, and dumb question amnesty declared, how do people in Texas watch drive-in movies this time of year?  It's too hot, if you're not moving, to just sit idle with your windows down.  And I would think it can't be good to sit 4' behind the truck in front of you with his engine running right into your aspiration  vent.  How the hell do y'all do it?  

While we’re on the movie topic, I can’t imagine that the Barbie movie is going to be realistic with a PG-13 rating. Having raised two daughters, I can definitively say that any realistic depiction of the Barbie world has to involve many naked Barbies laying around. I don’t think that’s in this movie. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nnm said:

While we’re on the movie topic, I can’t imagine that the Barbie movie is going to be realistic with a PG-13 rating. Having raised two daughters, I can definitively say that any realistic depiction of the Barbie world has to involve many naked Barbies laying around. I don’t think that’s in this movie. 

They would have to use CGI to erase all of the nipples and cooches to make it realistic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have you ever caught anyone staring at your junk? I was wearing sweat pants even though it's like 90 degrees out here.  It's happened a couple of times and yesterday, I'm pretty sure I caught my electrician looking a couple of times.  Towards the end of the install, he said "hey man, I normally don't carry Tesla hooks around but you put off real good vibes so I can install this one for you.  Text me if you have any questions about the install."

• Haha 1