Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

(some) Food trucks.  Generally I love these, but lately it seems like they are getting MORE expensive than brick and mortar.  Hey if the food is better, I get it.  But typically it is similar.  The idea of lower overhead without having a wait staff, cleanup crew, etc. is brilliant. But, now it seems to have gone away.  

lawn.jpg

Similar wavelength, when places are advertised as “farmers’ market”, but its actually vendors selling arts&crafts, handmade soaps, and finished goods like beef jerky. 

Weird. I grew up in a farming community but didnt know any family growing organic Salt Lamps. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

(some) Food trucks.  Generally I love these, but lately it seems like they are getting MORE expensive than brick and mortar.  Hey if the food is better, I get it.  But typically it is similar.  The idea of lower overhead without having a wait staff, cleanup crew, etc. is brilliant. But, now it seems to have gone away.  

Also, why is there a tip line on the receipt?  Is that in case you dont think you are paying enough for the food?  Because it isnt for actually wait service to bring your food and refill your beverages. 

lawn.jpg

Man, I feel this.

At the start of COVID our neighborhood (~125 families) thought it would be cool to invite a different food truck once a week as a win/win.  At first, it went incredibly well.  Everyone felt good about spending money with them (and they were truly, openly grateful), while also getting a nice quality meal for our families.  After a while, though, the demand dried up and the organizer started pleading with the neighborhood to start showing up or the trucks would no longer bother coming to us.  A reasonable outcome that frankly was probably warranted.  The reason we stopped going was the prices stayed "questionably" high even as COVID wained while the food seemed to lose it's uniqueness and edge.  At some point, I was just paying people a premium to throw together a burger that wasn't really any different than I could have whipped up with minimal effort or just gone to any local restaurant and at least had some service come with that price tag.

And, yeah, the tip is weird.  Really any time I'm tipping the *owner* of the business seems off to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The Tip line isn't weird. It's standard feature on food service software. I'd guess it could be removed as a setting item, but maybe not... even if it were possible, it would take actual work to do, and why would they bother? Besides, there may actually be people who give a tip on the premise that the operator or server is an employee and is underpaid.

True story: a client with a few small grocery stores told me when he was a kid first starting work as a cashier at the local grocery, the owner/manager had them put a new broom at the checkout and when a customer had a basketful of food, they would add the broom to the ticket. If the customer noticed, either at the time or after getting to their car and reading their ticket, they would just say "oh, sorry, I thought this was your broom... here, let me give you that refund. sorry." That would be good for a few broom prices a day. 

Edited by Tex Long
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The Tip line isn't weird. It's standard feature on food service software. I'd guess it could be removed as a setting item, but maybe not... even if it were possible, it would take actual work to do, and why would they bother? Besides, there may actually be people who give a tip on the premise that the operator or server is an employee and is underpaid.

Probably so on the software.  In my case the food was overpriced with a tip line.  Its not my place to make up the difference for the employer.  

As for what I bought.... I was told about this place and they had a brisket and hatch chili mac and cheese.  It had very little brisket (I would say an ounce or two) and was meh.  I didnt even look at the menu for a price I just ordered it.  After tax it was a little over $16.  First and last time there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Seeing hair plug services on TV commercials. If you have a receding hairline and go to one of these places and get some plugs to fill in the balding spots won’t your hairline just continue receding from the plug line back? Is this a never ending game of catch up so you don’t have weird balding spots going farther back along your head?

The new Mac OS, Sonoma, introduces facetime reactions into video calls of other services (google meet, zoom, etc).  These reactions can not only be triggered with a click, but can ALSO be triggered by making certain hand gestures on video.  This is a cool use of video technology, unless you are unaware of it and in the midst of a particularly dour discussion you subconsciously/unintentionally make a "V" sign with your hand which then automatically triggers FUCKING BALLOONS to show up on your video for the other participants to see.

FUCK.

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Comedy defensive driving is not funny, it’s excruciatingly bad. The class isn’t about education it’s punishment for speeding. God I wanted to gouge my eyes and ears out by the time I was done.

We did that once (to lower premiums) and it wasn’t too bad.

When I got a ticket, I did it online. New page of text? ctrl-c and ctrl-v into a Word doc. Did it for every page.

During the final test, I used ctrl-f to find the phrase. Piece o’ cake. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

We did that once (to lower premiums) and it wasn’t too bad.

When I got a ticket, I did it online. New page of text? ctrl-c and ctrl-v into a Word doc. Did it for every page.

During the final test, I used ctrl-f to find the phrase. Piece o’ cake. 

salute.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Comedy defensive driving is not funny, it’s excruciatingly bad. The class isn’t about education it’s punishment for speeding. God I wanted to gouge my eyes and ears out by the time I was done.

You need the vaccine. 100 Club sticker.

That and my wife calls our police chief “uncle.”

On 10/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, BearSchlong said:

That’s awesome.

Why is clapping in ASL not, well, just clapping? I’m not sure why this bugs me so much but it does. Am I ableist?

c198f77b3969aac60e69d8f1834d4cf7.gif

Because clapping is about making a sound. The motion isn't the applause, the noise is.  That would make no sense in the deaf world.

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Because clapping is about making a sound. The motion isn't the applause, the noise is.  That would make no sense in the deaf world.

But the hands are brought together for all sorts of signs in ASL. Why not simply convert the existing activity for ASL appreciation? Why adopt a whole new gesture?

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

30+ years of work experience doesn't necessarily translate into being a manager.

I have a guy working for me who's GREAT at what he does, but damn... watching him run a meeting is painful.

I know some people who volunteered away from management roles after having sampled it, back to IC track. 

The painful part are the people nudged into management, or convinced themselves that they are good at it. 

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I know some people who volunteered away from management roles after having sampled it, back to IC track. 

The painful part are the people nudged into management, or convinced themselves that they are good at it. 

That's me.  25 years in leadership roles burned me out on it so I specifically looked an IC role which I found in my current gig.  Life's to short for that stress and drama.

Of course, I've been sucked back into a management role "short term to fill a gap" anyway.  /facepalm

I've seen so many examples of the peter principle I've lost count.  My experience is though I've been absolutely surrounded by highly intelligent individuals (software), many people just don't naturally orient themselves around others, making training/mentoring/strategizing/directing/delegating/leading difficult to execute well.  Mistakenly thinking everyone lives/works/thinks like you sets you up for failure as a leader.  Happens all the time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It still amuses me how knowledge that should already be universal is constantly re-tread and still somehow gets traction. 

Mundane example is cooking a steak. Not something exotic or complex or debated. If Heston Blumethal uploads a video of how to cook a steak, there’ll be 200k views and 1000 comments asking what about reverse sear what about oven broil what pan should I use. 

OK, most of the world dont have the luxury of cooking steaks all the time…but if you know who Heston Blumenthal is, dont you already know the answers to all those questions?

10 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I know perfectly well this guy is an IC, and asking him to manage a job was a terrible idea.

I mentioned this to my boss who specifically asked me to delegate the project to him. Something something about my “growth” as a director, and not trying to manage every project on my own. 

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

The moon will cross in front of the sun today and it’ll look overcast outside for 5 minutes. Wow. Amazing.

It was amazing.  For 95% of human history, people used to freak the fuck out and murder one another when this happened.  And now we can go to the local library for some free protective eyewear, and look up and think, "Hey, cool.  My kids love this kinda stuff.  Can't wait for the next one."  No worries, we'll be burning down our libraries soon enough and going back to a time where we thought an eclipse meant the gods were angry with our fornicate inducing literature.

Here's a random thought-what did y'all do with your dogs today during the eclipse?  Do they just know after one glance up not to look up for awhile or?  

• Like 3