Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

If an inmate on death row in Colorado asked for edibles for his last meal would it be granted?

Most states no longer grant last meal requests to inmates prior to their execution. Their only option is whatever the prison is serving that day.

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Most states no longer grant last meal requests to inmates prior to their execution. Their only option is whatever the prison is serving that day.

Dude, shhhhh.... You are dumber than your sports takes. And it was a question on a board.

Smith’s spiritual adviser, the Rev. Jeff Hood, said his last meal consisted of a Waffle House order: T-bone steak, hash browns and scrambled eggs in A.1. sauce and toast. Procedure around the method of execution reports meant Smith was denied food for eight hours before his death.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/kenneth-smiths-last-meal-before-31965840

22 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dude, shhhhh.... You are dumber than your sports takes. And it was a question on a board.

Smith’s spiritual adviser, the Rev. Jeff Hood, said his last meal consisted of a Waffle House order: T-bone steak, hash browns and scrambled eggs in A.1. sauce and toast. Procedure around the method of execution reports meant Smith was denied food for eight hours before his death.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/kenneth-smiths-last-meal-before-31965840

You’re dumberer

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/09/23/140735845/no-more-special-last-meals-for-death-row-inmates-in-texas

• 2 weeks later...

How have I lived 53 years on this planet and have been so completely unaware that my t-shirts didn't hide my gut or would make my pecs look bigger?

LOLz marketing to fat old guys who don't give a fuck seems like pissing up a rope.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:07 AM, Scheiss Meister said:

This time has been a journey.  The points are good and I was getting power all the way through, so I had to pull the pump out of the well to check it.  90 feet of pipe later, I find that a wire has rubbed against the side of the pump and parted.  I spliced the wire and bump tesed it and it still wouldn't run.  I found that the capacitor in the control box burst, probably due to the parted wire, so I need a new box (the burst capacitor made a real mess).  I am now searching for a new control box, but I need to help my dad with some stuff today, so it will probably be late tonight before I get the well back into service.  I love living the easy, relaxed country life.

When you find the parts, you need buy an extra.  It will happen again.   Dad has brand new Tankless water heater (same model) on the shelf as a backup to the in-service unit for his place. All the plumbing will be an exact match.  He is an hour's drive from any major hardware store. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

When you find the parts, you need buy an extra.  It will happen again.   Dad has brand new Tankless water heater (same model) on the shelf as a backup to the in-service unit for his place. All the plumbing will be an exact match.  He is an hour's drive from any major hardware store. 

I ended up having to change out the pump, too.  I have a spare contact switch, and am looking for a more robust pump for my next replacement.  Pumps from Tractor Supply and other local stores have plastic impellers, which wear out pretty quickly in my well.  I'm looking for a good pump with steel or brass impellers to run down the well when I have to replace this one.  Hopefully that one will last longer than a few years.  I'm getting too damn old to pull that pump up by myself comfortably.

• Hook 'Em 2

What were the issues?  Kids have been wanting go for awhile but we were hesitant but plan to take them later this month.  Mostly for the carnival and food, but also some animal stuff.  

1 minute ago, slorch said:

I just would like to watch the video of the first drunk off their ass mofo(s)  who did that.

My next door neighbor has a bowling ball cannon. He got a big batch of bowling balls from a defunct alley and occasionally shoots them. They make a cool whistling sound in-flight because of the finger holes. 

He also accidentally shot one through a guy’s roof about 1/2 mile away when he accidentally put too much black powder in for the charge. Apparently acrylic bowling balls splinter into deadly shards when they impact a solid surface like a concrete floor. Fortunately no one was in the particular room in which that bowling ball exploded. 

100% true story. ETX at its finest. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My neighbors are going to lose their minds when I do that here.  Don't try this at home my ass!  That's fucking awesome!

something about "sealing off the gun powder with peanut butter" just doesnt sound too scientific to me

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My neighbors are going to lose their minds when I do that here.  Don't try this at home my ass!  That's fucking awesome!

This led me down a rabbit hole of bowling ball cannons, which are even more impressive than anvils. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’ve noticed for a good while that AmEx is going all in on the younger crowd with their tv commercials, TikTok, and IG. They are trying to get ahead of the game I guess, lots of yutes get a citi or similar credit card and rack it up. They are pushing points and earned vacations.

I'd try the WhataWings once with the honey butter sauce because that'd be different, however, a burger and rings will always be the reason I make a non-breakfast trip to Whataburger.

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well if our tailgate theme next season isn't "Transsexual Turf War", I vote we shut the whole fucking Surly enterprise down forever.  

Well then, I got my costume picked out… 

image.jpeg.a3d2543e23478764c24c962823fe7f19.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

My next door neighbor has a bowling ball cannon. He got a big batch of bowling balls from a defunct alley and occasionally shoots them. They make a cool whistling sound in-flight because of the finger holes. 

He also accidentally shot one through a guy’s roof about 1/2 mile away when he accidentally put too much black powder in for the charge. Apparently acrylic bowling balls splinter into deadly shards when they impact a solid surface like a concrete floor. Fortunately no one was in the particular room in which that bowling ball exploded. 

100% true story. ETX at its finest. 

Wait, wut? There is such a thing as a bowling ball cannon? Please prove more info.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Wait, wut? There is such a thing as a bowling ball cannon? Please prove more info.

My neighbor/friend’s is most like the bottom one. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like dogshit right now. I woke up with some back pain and thought it was because I did yard work yesterday. Then my legs started aching and I thought it was because I went hiking with my boy.

I have a 101 fever, sensitive skin, and it hurts to stand up straight. The Covid test came back negative.

Is this what syphilis feels like?

• Rage+1 1

Super aids. Well, don't want to sound like a dick or nothin', but, ah... it says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded. What I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

What's up with the proliferation of businesses charging a fee for using a credit/debit card? I've seen anywhere from 1% all the way up to 4%. Feels like bullshit to me. Now I gotta go to an ATM and pay them a fee to withdraw money so I can avoid the fee at the business. Fuck this!

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

I feel like dogshit right now. I woke up with some back pain and thought it was because I did yard work yesterday. Then my legs started aching and I thought it was because I went hiking with my boy.

I have a 101 fever, sensitive skin, and it hurts to stand up straight. The Covid test came back negative.

Ask your wife.

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

Some useful tips in here:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

What's up with the proliferation of businesses charging a fee for using a credit/debit card? I've seen anywhere from 1% all the way up to 4%. Feels like bullshit to me. Now I gotta go to an ATM and pay them a fee to withdraw money so I can avoid the fee at the business. Fuck this!

Legality varies by state. You can report the merchant to the processing company. 

https://usa.visa.com/content/dam/VCOM/download/merchants/surcharging-faq-by-merchants.pdf

Ultimately using a card is a convenience (no dealing with cash, 30 day float, purchase protection, rewards, etc) so has to be paid one way or another.

In Europe theres basically no free debit or credit cards, and any rewards that exist are super meagre.  Surcharges and fees are all a matter of consumer psychology.

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Credit cards make transactions easy because you get your money up front and the customer doesn't have to carry cash. But to a merchant, CC charges are expensive. They are negotiable to a certain extent but I think for most small/medium companies they vary 2-5%. It doesn't sound like much but to a small merchant it's a big deal. If you sell $100K a month on CC's, your processing fees can run around $3K+ a month. If you have a 30% gross profit margin, that's 10% of your profit going to processing a CC. With inflation driving cost up and consumers putting pressure on sellers to keep prices down, companies are getting squeezed. Most are forced to add it because they can't absorb it any more. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Do large tractors have some type of LoJack system in them? On my way home I’ll see a couple of really nice tractors out in the rice fields that had to have been well over 400k just sitting in the same spots fairly close to the highway for several days. Seems like some nefarious types with access to a semi could make off with one fairly easily and be gone for hours or even a day or two without it being noticed. Always seems like a big investment to just be sitting there unattended on wheels or tracks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Do large tractors have some type of LoJack system in them? On my way home I’ll see a couple of really nice tractors out in the rice fields that had to have been well over 400k just sitting in the same spots fairly close to the highway for several days. Seems like some nefarious types with access to a semi could make off with one fairly easily and be gone for hours or even a day or two without it being noticed. Always seems like a big investment to just be sitting there unattended on wheels or tracks.

Strong overlap from the unpopular opinions thread, in which there is a debate over whether Goodfellas or Miller’s Crossing is the superior gangster movie. 
3rrfIr.gif

5 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

My nephew works for a construction company and they had a large piece of equipment stolen.  All they had to do was call the manufacturer and get a location from them.  It was sitting in a field in Baytown and they just had to go pick it up.  The police told him that it was not unusual for that to happen.  Thieves steal the equipment, and then park it somewhere that they can keep an eye on it to see if it is equipped with a locator.  If nobody comes after it in a few days then they're home free.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1