2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

Just now, Armybrat said:

Was that intentional?

You never heard about the soggy eggs gimmick? 

“The winners were there eating crispy bacon,” said defensive back P.J. Locke. “The losers got a trash breakfast – burnt toast, cold pancakes.”

It was a concept Herman borrowed in part from his former boss at Ohio State, Urban Meyer. Few things are closer to the hearts of football players than food, so why not make it a motivational tool?

“The losers got watered-down eggs and had to eat out in the stadium with the cold wind blowing,” offensive lineman Connor Williams said.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tom-herman-using-bacon-embarrassment-motivate-players-worst-three-year-stretch-texas-history-231834366.html

3 hours ago, ousux said:
8 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:
I really, really like Casey. He seems very easy to root for. Dude is a son of a former Oklahoma QB and yet he stuck with us knowing he was not going to get a chance over Sam. Hope he gets his shot this season to show what he can do. 

He will, Sark isn't insane. He has an upperclassman QB with an impressive bowl win under his belt versus one right out of HS with tons of potential. That doesn't mean Card doesn't get a shot if Casey seriously struggles at times..but still.

If they are equal in practice, you go with Casey because he proved himself in a real game, which also happened to be the last game Texas played. If Casey struggles, there is nothing wrong with giving Card a look. In that scenario, neither has a reason to feel discriminated against.

16 hours ago, ousux said:

Basically he is, I know he got some garbage time against a whipped Utep during their shortened covid year if memory serves, (and again in the Alamo bowl) but thats not quite baptism by fire that Casey faced against a Colorado team he was supposed to be backup for. Don't get me wrong, if Card wins the job outright then I'll trust Sark knows what he's doing...and I'll be excited for the future.

I'm basing this on 9.95er reports at least being somewhat accurate and neither QB pulling away from the other. In that case you go with the older more experienced QB.

When I think of baptism by fire, I certainly think of a guy who has been on campus for 4 years in the same system showing up against a completely garbage and outgunned Colorado team, with Bijan Robinson lining up behind him in the backfield. It's basically the same as Sam Ehlinger playing as a true freshman against USC, or David strapping on his sandals to whip the shit out of Goliath. It's the kind of mythological tale that Homer used to spin to kings and peasants alike. A timeless tale, really. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Louisiana announcers are entertaining. 

"Big Sauce saw that and thought it was a biscuit on Levi's shirt and he was gonna get him some of that. I tell you what."

There should be a pretty sizeable contingent of Cajun fans at the game next fall. My in-laws and all their friends still talk to me about how much they enjoyed playing in the baseball regional in Austin 10 years ago or however long that was. I know lots of folks making that trip... should be a really fun tailgating day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

When I think of baptism by fire, I certainly think of a guy who has been on campus for 4 years in the same system showing up against a completely garbage and outgunned Colorado team, with Bijan Robinson lining up behind him in the backfield. It's basically the same as Sam Ehlinger playing as a true freshman against USC, or David strapping on his sandals to whip the shit out of Goliath. It's basically the kind of mythological tale that Homer used to spin to kings and peasants alike. A timeless tale, really. 

giphy.gif

IT team notes

Spoiler

TEAM

Breakout player: Jordan Whittington (OFF) and David Gbenda/Kitan Crawford (DEF).

Whittington has easily been the best receiver through spring ball. He’s the most reliable and also the toughest.

Gbenda and Crawford split votes but we’ll give the nod to the linebacker given he’ll play more this upcoming season. Jeff Choate has done a great job coaching Gbenda up.

Hardest worker: Jake Majors/Junior Angilau (OFF), Jerrin Thompson/Brend Schooler (DEF)

Leaders that won’t start: Roschon Johnson (OFF) and Darion Dunn (DEF)

Like Thornton, Dunn has come into the program ready to work. You know Ro, he stays ready so he doesn’t have to get ready.

Toughest player: Andrej Karic and Roschon Johnson (OFF), Ray Thornton (DEF)

Apparently Thornton versus any pulling guard is must see TV. Ask Angilau’s sprained shoulder.

Thursday practice notes

- It ended up being a good practice after a rough start followed by a re-start. The offense probably got the better of the defense. That didn’t happen much throughout camp.

- This is primarily a 12 personnel, double tight end offense. Lots of outside zone, RPO, and bootlegs. If you wanted the Kyle Shanahan offense, there is some real overlap.

- The coverage defenders are losing receivers too frequently in zone coverage. That led to a big day from Kai Money on Thursday versus the first team. Players are being coached to watch the QB but are losing sight of the receivers too often.

- The spring game is going to be vanilla but they will run some special teams stuff.

- The Orange team is essentially first team offense and second team defense. The White team is first team defense and second team offense.

- BJ Foster is on the orange team. Brenden Schooler and Jerrin Thompson are on White. As we mentioned, a well known DBU member says Schooler is the best safety on the team. That’s beginning to show up on the depth chart. BJ hasn’t played poorly at all, “Schooler is just like that.” The vibe is gawdly.

- Casey Thompson will be with the first team offense. He tends to check down more than Card. Card trusts his arm to make his primary option work out.

CLINICIANS

Andre Coleman had a very similar presentation as he did in last year's clinic. He went over his philosophy of developing wide receivers and then started hammering releases. He went over some of the good, the bad, and the ugly from Texas' film over the last two years as well as some more recent drill work.

Like any really good position coach, Coleman can watch drills and make a dozen comments on each rep with thoughts on subtle body movements that make the difference between getting a little more open to bring in the catch or not. He really takes you into a world where wide receiver play is all about quick, snap movements and decisions which make all the difference and he's pretty intense about how to win those battles.

He emphasizes mastering multiple releases at the line of scrimmage and then understanding concepts and making a plan in advance to help the receiver be set up to win after the snap. Coleman was relentless while going over the drills on getting good stances and releases off the line and even while he was going over it from his office you could see him in the drills correcting his charges and making them repeat reps to his satisfaction. He's all about muscle memory and warned everyone about players developing bad habits with their footwork which would be very hard to correct.

Jake Smith seemed to be a favorite on one of the drills for his execution of Coleman's releases. This offense has sight adjustments to coverages and Coleman said "we don't have inside and outside receivers, everyone plays everywhere" so there's a high bar to clear for guys learning the system.

Jeff Choate had a very broad and impressive clinic. He started by talking about the differences between Generation Z and previous generations, mostly what makes Generation Z different, for better or worse. Then he talked about how to best reach those kids, build trust, and how to help them gain some of the grit they often lack.

He also pointed out three types of players you'll often see. The kids from broken homes who are resilient but need to build trust, kids from authoritative homes who are usually easy to coach, and then kids from overbearing homes who don't accept responsibility and can become cancerous to the team.

After all that, he dove into linebacker play. They want guys 6-0 to 6-3, although he noted one of the best guys is from Cinco Ranch and is about 5-11, and for them to weigh 200-220 coming out of high school. Fast is good, if they're not fast they need to have good length to affect passing windows and fight off blockers. Hand size matters to him because he wants guys who can do damage when engaging blockers. He also looks for a 2.7 core GPA and loves the guys who are good with math and geometry because of its application in understanding assignments and taking good angles.

Then he went over some of their drills where he teaches smaller guys how to avoid blockers and looks to develop power in the guys who have a knack for blowing up blocks and blitzing. Luke Brockermeyer was really good in the block destruction drill and David Gbenda shone a lot because of his quickness.

Within the drills, Choate dropped that their focus as a defense is on having "vision" and eyes on the quarterback all the time. They’re "primarily a 4-under, 3-deep, post-safety defense" who also plays "vision quarters" where the cornerbacks and safeties have eyes on the quarterback while matching routes.

One coach asked him about how they change their keys for linebackers from week to week and Choate explained what does and doesn't change and then said, "the off ball tight end in modern offense usually takes you to the ball. We're a heavy 12 personnel team on offense but the tight end off the ball is taking us to it most of the time."

Overall it sounds like they're teaching these guys on the back end to get depth and feel the receivers and relate to their routes while keeping their eyes on the quarterback for the most important cues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

i HATE the concept of keeping eyes on the QB while trying to relate to routes and changing coverages based on route combinations. I think that philosophy is what leads to busted coverage more often than not. IMHO, the DBs should check QB at snap, if his hands are up, go to your reads, but if his hands are down,  keep eyes in the backfield to determine if its run or PA. Its almost impossible to relate to routes and change responsibilities while looking in the backfield the whole time...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

FCB

Spoiler

— First-year football coach Steve Sarkisian and his coaching staff have been conducting one-on-one player evaluations with scholarship student-athletes this week, ahead of Saturday's Orange-White spring game, sources told Horns247.

Sarkisian wanted to maximize communication with players about where they stand with the coaching staff before the spring game, especially with the NCAA Division I Council approving a one-time transfer rule that will allow student-athletes to transfer one time and be eligible immediately at their new school. The measure is expected to receive final approval on April 28 by the Division I board of directors.

Also hearing director of recruiting Brandon Harris, a former quarterback at LSU, is working closely with Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee as the assistant quarterbacks coach.

A team source confirmed to Horns247 what Hudson Card said to the media on Thursday - that the Texas spring game on Saturday will probably have a healthy dose of shots downfield in the passing game, possibly providing fans with more excitement in a spring game than usual.

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i HATE the concept of keeping eyes on the QB while trying to relate to routes and changing coverages based on route combinations. I think that philosophy is what leads to busted coverage more often than not. IMHO, the DBs should check QB at snap, if his hands are up, go to your reads, but if his hands are down,  keep eyes in the backfield to determine if its run or PA. Its almost impossible to relate to routes and change responsibilities while looking in the backfield the whole time...

I'm sure he teaches the appropriate nuances and exceptions.

10 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I'm sure he teaches the appropriate nuances and exceptions.

i hope so. but we did that same shit last year and it led to uncovered receivers running through zones constantly because everyone had their eyes in the backfield instead of going through their reads.

When I think of baptism by fire, I certainly think of a guy who has been on campus for 4 years in the same system showing up against a completely garbage and outgunned Colorado team, with Bijan Robinson lining up behind him in the backfield. It's basically the same as Sam Ehlinger playing as a true freshman against USC, or David strapping on his sandals to whip the shit out of Goliath. It's the kind of mythological tale that Homer used to spin to kings and peasants alike. A timeless tale, really. 

Touche'

But I still pigheadedly stand behind the words I typed

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

A team source confirmed to Horns247 what Hudson Card said to the media on Thursday - that the Texas spring game on Saturday will probably have a healthy dose of shots downfield in the passing game, possibly providing fans with more excitement in a spring game than usual.

That IS exciting. Downfield passing. What is this, 1993?

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

FCB

Hide contents

And in breaking news... My sources confirm that neither team is actively trying to bore fans during the spring game.

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Kai Money and Schooler being the highlights of practice.

Schooler seems like a really good athlete so I'm less concerned about that, especially considering he knows how to get physical due to his play on special teams over his college career. The Money stuff is worrisome to say the least. But with that being said, how reliable are practice reports? Not very.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Kai Money and Schooler being the highlights of practice.

Schooler is a plus athlete at safety, and a guy who has been a P5 starter on both sides of the ball in college isn’t where I would be wringing my hands. Kai Money on the other hand..

• Hook 'Em 2

To add further, it’s practice reports. Relax brah. More importantly, Schooler appears to be a baller.  Better get used to it cause it sounds like he will be an anchor in this secondary. And why would you be concerned about that? And if Money can get a little burn being a possession receiver, great.  Sounds like Schooler was schoolin’ and Kai had a big day. You think a DB or WR needs to be of a darker complexion to be deserving of some accolades or something? 

7 hours ago, runthebone said:

So Schooler is a fantastic safety whom the previous coaching staff played at receiver?

He started at safety for Oregon as a true freshman and led the team in interceptions, and was regarded as a quality player. Then Oregon had depth issues at WR in the spring so he switched to WR and never switched back