Cheer Up, It Only Gets Worse: Texit Is Upon Us

MaybeACoordinator

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Yeah. Also, has anyone ever thought to ask the Texas politicians why they spent money airing commercials in California telling everyone to move to Texas only to complain about the Californication of Texas?

No no no, they just wanted the companies, not the Californians who work for the company.  Because the company will just pick up, move, fire all the Californias and just hire Texans. 

Duh. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

you're interpreting it wrong.  that figure is intergovernmental aid (so the fed share of medicaid, schip, food stamps, education, welfare, highway spending, etc., which are fed dollars but administered by the state) divided by income taxes paid by texans.  it doesn't account for direct federal spending such as DoD or nasa. 

OK, fair enough, but isn't that spending included in another column in the summary?  I assume that was why New Mexico "won" (lost) the analysis.  Big government labs like Los Alamos and Sandia, along with a relatively small population.

Ultimately, if this summary is remotely accurate, Texas at #34 is hardly consistent with being some sort of government teat-sucker.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have seen other figures as well.  Remember, this report was written on behalf of NY State.  I could not find their stats and methodology in the paper, but considering Cuomo wrote a forward in it, I would caution on bias.  I have seen others that show Texas as getting back 0.88 to 0.92 per $1.00 put in.  NY is around 0.70 in those studies.

it varies year to year and study by study, but the general trend is the same.  the big blue coast states generally pay the south.  a bunch of other states are near even. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, fair enough, but isn't that spending included in another column in the summary?  I assume that was why New Mexico "won" (lost) the analysis.  Big government labs like Los Alamos and Sandia, along with a relatively small population.

Ultimately, if this summary is remotely accurate, Texas at #34 is hardly consistent with being some sort of government teat-sucker.

you pointed out that one specific column in your post. 

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

you pointed out that one specific column in your post. 

Gee, I did?  

$0.41 is pretty low on that metric, too.  If I didn't do a perfect job of refuting Wanker Bob's falsehood, mea culpa, I'll run everything by you next time.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I mean, the root causes of our domestic dysfunction pretty much originate in huffing our own farts, but people don't want to hear that obviously.  Murica, we wallow in shit but at least it don't stink!

Yeah, I don't think lack of time staring into the mirror is the problem for Trump or that part of Look-At-Me America flying Trump flags months after the election, or cosplaying militia guy, or cosplaying Revolutionary War Era patriot, or Skull and Guns truck decal guy, or bearded, steely stone-face tactical shades guy, or the American-flag-as-clothing guy, or Texiteer guy, etc... In fact, I believe that inability for a lot of Americans to pry themselves away from the mirror is a huge part of the problem.

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yeah, I don't think lack of time staring into the mirror is the problem for Trump or that part of Look-At-Me America flying Trump flags months after the election, or cosplaying militia guy, or cosplaying Revolutionary War Era patriot, or Skull and Guns truck decal guy, or bearded, steely stone-face tactical shades guy, or the American-flag-as-clothing guy, or Texiteer guy, etc... In fact, I believe that inability for a lot of Americans to pry themselves away from the mirror is a huge part of the problem.

Yeah, I don’t pay upwards of $50k a year in taxes so Jose can come here to hang my drywall, I want Cletus to do it!  Why won’t Cletus hang my fucking drywall and clean my gutters?  C’mon Cletus!  

43 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I see this phrase all the time, but I'm not really sure what it means.  I have ideas, but I learn towards it is a catch phrase for "changes I don't like."

I mean people here complain about Californians. One of the guys talked about how the buildings in Portland have changed since they moved in.

I guess I get that sentiment.  A month after I moved into the neighborhood here in this part of Oregon the neighbors said their BBQ got better and for some reason the local high schools all added bull riding classes.  "You must be from Texas!"

Then, a month later, some Californians moved in, and the house colors changed from muted greys and browns to bright pastels.  Definitely upset some of the long timers who said it hurt their eyes.

It was a bit odd, but I didn't complain because about the same time the house colors changed this reusable bag with a California bear on it showed up.  The neat thing about the bag is that it is full of avocadoes and alfalfa sprouts that never get too ripe and never goes empty.  A bit of a shame about the neighborhood wives all becoming winos, however.   Give and take of life with Golden State refugees I suppose.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

According to this analysis, Texas comes in #34 in a ranking of state dependence on the federal government (#1 being the most dependent).  For every dollar Texas sends to the federal government in income tax, it receives back $0.41, thus proving (once again) that Wanker Bob is a . . . wanker.

states-dependent-federal-government-2020_table.png

I wonder how much different these figures would be if our governor and lege didn't refuse so much federal aid.

Gov. Greg Abbott rejects aid from Biden administration in dispute over coronavirus testing for migrants

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/04/greg-abbott-joe-biden-immigrants-testing/

And in the past, they have opted us out of fed funds for healthcare, education and others, just to appear strong or some shit.  All it did was hurt the citizens, but no one points that out.   Dumbasses elected by dumber asses.    Like already mentioned, see how our power grid did standalone to get an idea about our social programs.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gee, I did?  

$0.41 is pretty low on that metric, too.  If I didn't do a perfect job of refuting Wanker Bob's falsehood, mea culpa, I'll run everything by you next time.

or you could think about it a little bit and ask yourself if the stat you're taking away from a big table rings true.  this state would be barren if we really only got back $0.41 on every dollar of income tax we paid.

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I see this phrase all the time, but I'm not really sure what it means.  I have ideas, but I learn towards it is a catch phrase for "changes I don't like."

That’s not an incorrect take.  To me “Californication” is a shitty label for the set of changes experienced by a resident population when their native culture is disrupted by the force of outsiders flocking to an area.  I used it primarily so I could say “Aggification.”

I can understand why people don’t like all the changes resulting from a large influx of outsiders.  A big one I can empathize with are when housing prices quickly appreciate beyond what wages in the local economy will support.  That’s a real problem that’s needs addressing.

But #Texit is a shitty response to the problems Texas massive intake of outsiders is causing.  It would cause a hell of a lot more problems than it solves.

And here I thought they just really liked Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

miller-bio-hi-res.jpg

The pirate looking flag is the banner of Phillip Dimmitt, who presided over Goliad before Fannin. He just missed most of the fighting at the Siege of San Antonio, and then failed to make it back into the Alamo -- from whence he'd been sent out to scout --  in time to die with all the rest of them, just as he lucked out of a similar fate at Goliad. And then he headed east and missed out on taking part in the Battle of San Jacinto by one day. 

After the revolution he set up a trading post down near today's Calallen, and one July day in 1841 he and his buddies were snatched up by a party of Mexican soldiers who hauled them down to Matamoros.

Some believe the whole deal was a set-up by two rivals from up the Nueces aways -- a Mr Kinney and a Mr Aubrey, two Texian merchants who dealt in contraband, one of whom was drinking buddies with the Mexican general Ampudia. It was later alleged that Ampudia conspired with Kinney to eliminate Dimmitt's competition. Kinney was tried for treason but acquitted; evidently he was in tight with President Lamar.

Dimmitt and 20 assorted Texian captives were marched off toward the interior. In Saltillo, after somehow drugging their guards, all but Dimmitt and one other prisoner managed to escape. Of those, 11 were recaptured and executed; a lucky 7 escaped to the high Sierra and eventually, back to Texas, I guess. As for Dimmitt, As a prominent revolutionary, Dimmitt was the most prestigious of the prisoners and was therefore confined separately, thereby missing the big jailbreak. In the aftermath, he was told that he had two futures ahead of him: a long sentence in Mexican prison, or execution in reprisal for the escape, should some of the Texians elude capture.

Before they could settle on choice two, Dimmitt loaded himself up with a lethal dose of morphine -- did these guys have unlimited access to drugs? -- and went to the land beyond dreams. 

Although he managed to just miss martyrdom twice and San Jacinto by a day, he did get a county named after him. (Carrizo Springs is the seat; it's misspelled, too: Dimmit.) And before he died he had two sons: Antonio Alamo Dimmitt and Texas Phillip Dimmitt. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Although he managed to just miss martyrdom twice and San Jacinto by a day, he did get a county named after him. (Carrizo Springs is the seat; it's misspelled, too: Dimmit.) And before he died he had two sons: Antonio Alamo Dimmitt and Texas Phillip Dimmitt. 

Down the road in Catarina there's a semi-deserted hotel that looks like vampire chicks from south of the border should come slinkin up to.

• Hook 'Em 1

Half the Californians who move here are conservatives looking to Texas as a promised land.

Most of the hipster kids you see in Austin are from Plano and Cypress and Katy and Frisco and shit. I once had to drive a rent car in Austin with California plates and it was hilarious all the stank eye I got from kids who'd probably been there for five months. 

58 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Half the Californians who move here are conservatives looking to Texas as a promised land.

Most of the hipster kids you see in Austin are from Plano and Cypress and Katy and Frisco and shit. I once had to drive a rent car in Austin with California plates and it was hilarious all the stank eye I got from kids who'd probably been there for five months. 

When I was in Austin all my friends were hippies from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois. I reckon they've gone back home and joined the militia.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

it varies year to year and study by study, but the general trend is the same.  the big blue coast states generally pay the south.  a bunch of other states are near even. 

I would agree with that take, but most the time, I see Texas as being very close to even, slightly donor, rather than being a taker state.  I did not see the Rockefeller methodology (i.e. it wasn't front and center).

Not that it really matters.  I live in NY, and we get screwed.

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

miller-bio-hi-res.jpg

The pirate looking flag is the banner of Phillip Dimmitt, who presided over Goliad before Fannin. He just missed most of the fighting at the Siege of San Antonio, and then failed to make it back into the Alamo -- from whence he'd been sent out to scout --  in time to die with all the rest of them, just as he lucked out of a similar fate at Goliad. And then he headed east and missed out on taking part in the Battle of San Jacinto by one day. 

After the revolution he set up a trading post down near today's Calallen, and one July day in 1841 he and his buddies were snatched up by a party of Mexican soldiers who hauled them down to Matamoros.

Some believe the whole deal was a set-up by two rivals from up the Nueces aways -- a Mr Kinney and a Mr Aubrey, two Texian merchants who dealt in contraband, one of whom was drinking buddies with the Mexican general Ampudia. It was later alleged that Ampudia conspired with Kinney to eliminate Dimmitt's competition. Kinney was tried for treason but acquitted; evidently he was in tight with President Lamar.

Dimmitt and 20 assorted Texian captives were marched off toward the interior. In Saltillo, after somehow drugging their guards, all but Dimmitt and one other prisoner managed to escape. Of those, 11 were recaptured and executed; a lucky 7 escaped to the high Sierra and eventually, back to Texas, I guess. As for Dimmitt, As a prominent revolutionary, Dimmitt was the most prestigious of the prisoners and was therefore confined separately, thereby missing the big jailbreak. In the aftermath, he was told that he had two futures ahead of him: a long sentence in Mexican prison, or execution in reprisal for the escape, should some of the Texians elude capture.

Before they could settle on choice two, Dimmitt loaded himself up with a lethal dose of morphine -- did these guys have unlimited access to drugs? -- and went to the land beyond dreams. 

There's a town up in the Panhandle that I assume is named after him and is spelled correctly, so he's got that for him...which is nice.  

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You cherry picked only FEMA.  That is fucking stupid.  

Also, calling Texas relatively poor is pretty fucking stupid.

Basically, stupidity abounds in your posts.  But then again, I am not shocked.

I can sense the emotion in your replies and attacks on me that I'm sure stems from my opinion on America's great decline. That's clouding your judgement as you're usually not a bad poster. So here's where you're wrong:

1) it's not cherry picking. My point was around Texas' reliance on federal aid for disaster relief more than any other state. That's a massive problem when you don't have it anymore. 

2) Texas ranks near the bottom in poverty level at about 14 percent before the pandemic hit. With the callous leadership and the shit way things were handled combined with the issues from the power grid failure I'm sure that's a lot higher now but no numbers out yet on that. 

The state leadership can't even be at or below average nationally in poverty level even with the oil and gas industry and all that federal aid. Good luck trying to do it as a nation with a most likely shit currency compared to the dollar and no aid coming in. 

Try again. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 8

2 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

1) it's not cherry picking. My point was around Texas' reliance on federal aid for disaster relief more than any other state. That's a massive problem when you don't have it anymore. 

2) Texas ranks near the bottom in poverty level at about 14 percent before the pandemic hit. With the callous leadership and the shit way things were handled combined with the issues from the power grid failure I'm sure that's a lot higher now but no numbers out yet on that. 

The state leadership can't even be at or below average nationally in poverty level even with the oil and gas industry and all that federal aid. Good luck trying to do it as a nation with a most likely shit currency compared to the dollar and no aid coming in. 

Try again. 

Seriously, give it up.  You are a fucking moron.  

Signed someone that doesn't even live in Texas anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

I'm no fan of Texit, but this is a stupid angle.  Texas is going to incur a lot of natural disasters simply because of its size.  It is 4th in coastal miles of the lower 48 states, and is prone to major hurricanes.  It is a vast land mass prone to severe spring storms.  As we just saw, even hard winter events can wreak havoc.  Combine this with heavy population concentrations right in the various bullseyes, and we see high $ in aid.

I get it, your point is that this money would no longer be available if Texas were to secede, but I think the accounting needs to be a little more sophisticated.  For starters, you'd need to show that secession would not be a boon in terms of O&G revenue capture, and then go from there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

Well, in fairness, he made a brilliant economic point about the existence of a port in Catalonia when we all know the port of Houston which is the second largest total trade port in the United States doesn’t actually exist. And since Barcelona’s port is about half the trade size of Spain’s actual largest port at Algeciras and Algeciras itself is about a third of the size of the port of Houston (setting aside the ports at Beaumont which is the 4th largest in the country, corpus which is the 5th largest in the country, Texas city which is the 15th largest in the country, and port Arthur which is the 17th largest in the country), I really feel like he nailed it with this point. 

it takes a special brand of dipshit to come into a thread about the stupidity of texit-advocacy morons and somehow one-up those Neanderthals. Impressive. 

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Houston would never leave the US. Hence, the Houston metro area remains 'Texas' and we send two Dem Senators to the DC. 

well, it is the capital and all...

beacc7f8fef13872ce9fffd5fe83d0cb.jpg

Okay, maybe we secede, and then immediately split into five states of Texas. While seceding is unconstitutional, partitioning is explicitly legal:

"Third – New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; and such states as may be formed out of the territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri Compromise Line, shall be admitted into the Union, with or without slavery, as the people of each State, asking admission shall desire; and in such State or States as shall be formed out of said territory, north of said Missouri Compromise Line, slavery, or involuntary servitude (except for crime) shall be prohibited." 

Gerrymander it so that four of them are dominated by a large cities -- DFW, Austin, SA and El Paso, and Houston.

Everything north and west of line running from Junction to Wichita Falls can stay behind as "Real Texas," while the other four mini-Texases petition to rejoin the union. 

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Okay, maybe we secede, and then immediately split into five states of Texas. While seceding is unconstitutional, partitioning is explicitly legal:

"Third – New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; and such states as may be formed out of the territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri Compromise Line, shall be admitted into the Union, with or without slavery, as the people of each State, asking admission shall desire; and in such State or States as shall be formed out of said territory, north of said Missouri Compromise Line, slavery, or involuntary servitude (except for crime) shall be prohibited." 

Gerrymander it so that four of them are dominated by a large cities -- DFW, Austin, SA and El Paso, and Houston.

Everything north and west of line running from Junction to Wichita Falls can stay behind as "Real Texas," while the other four mini-Texases petition to rejoin the union. 

I don't know why this is always brought up. Texas will never split into 5 states. It's also very possible that the Supreme Court would not allow it regardless what is written down in the declaration of Texas joining the US.  Not to mention that today's Texas leaders would only allow it, if they could group Austin, Houston, Dallas, El Paso and the Valley into 1 disconnected state. and then split the remaining areas into 4. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

33 minutes ago, sidis said:

but only about 60 km from marbella.  preferable to the 60 km trip to nederland.

that said, i suspect that la marque could crush them in football...at least back in the late 90s when i was in h.s.

had a great night doing shots in tarifa while some sort of festival was going on in the church square.  town was weirdly dead during the day, i assume everyone was sleeping it off.