Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well that doesn't track with anything we've heard. 

It tracks with what I heard about his handler when he was being recruited. Anything regarding his current situation would just be wild speculation on my part, though, so I haven’t. 

I think Beard has done an amazing job of putting these guys together and getting them all to buy in to defense first. Of all of them, I feel like the adjustment has been the biggest for Mitchell. In any case, I hope it all works out. 

There are some similarities, but there are major differences. PJ Tucker was a legitimate low block post scorer in college, even undersized. He was a physical presence on the court in a way Allen isn’t. 
Allen is also a much better assist man than PJ. He’s not going to get to the foul line as often as PJ did, he’s not as good of a defender in the low post against someone much bigger than himself, but he’s a much better initiator of the offense because he sees the floor better, he has a much better mid range game, and he can take more defenders off the dribble (although PJ was an underrated ball handler). Allen is more of a sneaky rebounder, although they’re both sneaky. But PJ was a world class athlete who could outrebound opponents purely through his athleticism, strength, and tenacity. Allen is much better coming from the off side.
The best way for me to phrase it is that PJ was a legitimate 4 in college, whereas Allen is at his best when defended by an opponent’s wing. 
PJ is also a different animal in the NBA. One of the most impressive transformations I can ever remember seeing. Allen would do well to follow PJ’s path in that regard. If Allen could develop a deadly spot up 3 point shot he could find himself with a long career. 

Would have loved to have seen what PJ, Aldridge, and Gibson could have done with another year at UT, along with Durant. But especially PJ.

well i'd like to get some more info on this situation. if Tre Mitchell has some family crisis going on then he deserves our thoughts and support. if he's pissy that he's not having a great season, and he's decided to take his ball and go home, then he deserves to GTFO and go cry about it somewhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

well i'd like to get some more info on this situation. if Tre Mitchell has some family crisis going on then he deserves our thoughts and support. if he's pissy that he's not having a great season, and he's decided to take his ball and go home, then he deserves to GTFO and go cry about it somewhere else. 

Assuming you saw the brief mention of it above?

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611dae599ea9a3d3cbde4

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i saw one person say that he has a family issue that he's dealing with, while another said he's unhappy with the coaching staff. 

Ah I scrolled past that Wells comment. I'm going to assume his Grandmother has cancer until I hear otherwise.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Did Beard ever say what the deal was with Ramey against OU? 

On Mitchell - I'm going to believe what Beard had to say on the matter. 

About his injury or his play? I know he hurt his ankle or foot early in the game

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Would have loved to have seen what PJ, Aldridge, and Gibson could have done with another year at UT, along with Durant. But especially PJ.

Yeah, you and me both. It’s funny. Durant came in on his visit and was playing in the gym with the current players thinking, “We’re going to win a national championship next year!” Instead, they all leave except for AJ Abrams and Damion James to be the youngest tournament team ever. 

But of all of them, PJ was the one I missed the most. He brought so much to the team. 

I remember telling everyone the team would be better the next year guaranteed, even with the loss of one of the best basketball players ever, simply because they were so young, and losing Abrams was addition by subtraction. 

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

We really need to take advantage of what is left on our schedule - take care of business at home against Tech and TCU, dropkick that fat fuck Huggy Bear in Morgantown and we should be a 4 seed.  Hell, split the Baylor/KU games left and things get real fun.

Yeah that’s a 3 seed. Or taking care of business, losing to Baylor and KU and then winning 2 games in the tournament. That feels like a 3 seed as well. 

6 minutes ago, someguy said:

I'll state it plainly.  I am not speculating.  Tre Mitchell did not leave the team because he is pissy or had a conflict with the coaches or anything like that.  It is not my place to divulge details and I won't, but I don't want the kid to be unfairly tarnished.  Screw Justin Wells for saying otherwise.

I believe you. I never feel a sense of ownership over needing to be told why something is the way it is. But at the same time I can’t help but wonder. That’s just natural. Thanks for the response. I hope things work out best for the guy. Of all the players brought in, he was the one I was most excited about. He’s always carried himself great for his time in media availabilities. And we don’t beat KU without his post scoring and his banked in 3. I feel like he has a ceiling he really hasn’t been able to show at Texas so far. My hope is he gets the chance. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Beard getting tickets held back for UT students is a good move... 🤘

My understanding is the box office knows only x% of student ticket holders show up so they sell what they think they can then limit entry via fcfs.   In this case, marketing, they said everyone gets in so they cant sell more tickets incase all holders show up.   

Brian Davis is a dweeb.  

UT 1 BD 0.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Wonder if he’s gonna transfer to the land of pussies like jaylon Tyson?

Just a thought, but Tyson originally chose Beard and Tech. In the end, he chose Beard over Tech. Eventually he left UT and Beard for Tech and Adams. Was it Beard or UT that rubbed him the wrong way and caused him to leave? I don’t think it had anything to do with UT, do y’all? So, was it Beard? 

Mitchell- was it family, Beard or UT related? Can’t be UT, why would it…so it’s Beard or Family, see above. Is there a pattern beginning to form? FuckifIknow. 

• Fuck You 15

7 minutes ago, Shinesintx said:

Just a thought, but Tyson originally chose Beard and Tech. In the end, he chose Beard over Tech. Eventually he left UT and Beard for Tech and Adams. Was it Beard or UT that rubbed him the wrong way and caused him to leave? I don’t think it had anything to do with UT, do y’all? So, was it Beard? 

Mitchell- was it family, Beard or UT related? Can’t be UT, why would it…so it’s Beard or Family, see above. Is there a pattern beginning to form? FuckifIknow. 

Nah I just think pussies go to lubcock 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SDG said:

My understanding is the box office knows only x% of student ticket holders show up so they sell what they think they can then limit entry via fcfs.   In this case, marketing, they said everyone gets in so they cant sell more tickets incase all holders show up.   

Brian Davis is a dweeb.  

UT 1 BD 0.  

I’d think the score is a good deal more lopsided than that 

3 hours ago, Shinesintx said:

You'd do well on the recruiting board. 

13 hours ago, someguy said:

I'll state it plainly.  I am not speculating.  Tre Mitchell did not leave the team because he is pissy or had a conflict with the coaches or anything like that.  It is not my place to divulge details and I won't, but I don't want the kid to be unfairly tarnished.  Screw Justin Wells for saying otherwise.

I’m not sure I’m going to believe some guy on the Internet.

16 hours ago, someguy said:

giphy.gif

Look, we just aren’t a very good team. And that’s fine. If Shaka wouldn’t have left we’d have been the worst in conference. Instead we finish 10-8 in one of the toughest conferences in America, knock down a 5 seed and hope we make it to the sweet 16. 
from where we were when Beard took over that’s fantastic. I’d this is a floor for this program under Beard I’m ecstatic. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look, we just aren’t a very good team. And that’s fine. If Shaka wouldn’t have left we’d have been the worst in conference. Instead we finish 10-8 in one of the toughest conferences in America, knock down a 5 seed and hope we make it to the sweet 16. 

How do you map "5 seed" into "not very good"?  I seriously wonder about the perspective of the average Texas basketball fan.  A Top 20 ranking for this trainwreck of a Shaka program is fucking incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Need a serious Jimmys and Joes upgrade.

Watching Carr has just turned into a beating at this point. I mean I'm seeing the same red flags that I've seen all season - I guess I was hoping he'd fix some of them or some more chemistry would alleviate it. 

There's no way these guys enjoy playing with him on a day like today. I think it's harder for players to hold each other accountable when they've had less than a year to gel. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

It appears Beard tried to put together the most talented transfers he and his staff felt would make a complete team. IMO, one of the glaring weakness is we do not have a dominant inside athletic player who can consistently change opposing teams offense in the paint. While Mitchell is missed, even he isn't that guy. AND, Texas absolutely does not have a guard that can get to the rim (even considering the tough defense in the Big 12) OR at least breakdown a defense and create open looks for other players. Yes, I'm looking at you Carr and Askew. Have a plan if you're dribbling into the paint or to the corner.

Texas is pretty good at setting up screens, moving the ball around the perimeter and getting mid range looks. In a bad matchup and with a dearth of consistent long range shooters, the mid range game won't cut it. I hope Texas gets a decent couple of match-ups in the tournament or it's an early exit. I like the look of Beard's system but it's not working with this current roster. I give him credit for getting some elevated play from Jones and Ramey bc they would have sucked under another year of Shakablah.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The ebb and flow of this team has been hard to follow.  Timmy can be unstoppable against Kansas yet Tech handles him with ease.  Marcus can be great or suck.  Tre is gone.  Disu is consistently ineffective.  Cunningham is consistently effective, and probably has earned more time on the court.  Can't fault Jones or Ramey at this point.  Not sure what Bishop is doing.

Just keep plugging away.  Losses like this aren't really all that damaging, despite what some fans might think.

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How do you map "5 seed" into "not very good"?  I seriously wonder about the perspective of the average Texas basketball fan.  A Top 20 ranking for this trainwreck of a Shaka program is fucking incredible.

I’m talking about the talent and skill level on this team. It’s a low ceiling. Beard brings, I think, a fairly high floor with him which I love, when I was talking about if this is our floor that’s fantastic. 
I assume this will be his worst team for a while here and I love that. 
remember when Barnes won the conference with a team of Jags and walk ons that started 3-8?  That team wasn’t very good and it won the conference. Then when Barnes got time to get his guys in and make his mark he ran off a decade where we were a top 10 program for the oughts. I’m getting a similar vibe from Beard. 

• Hook 'Em 2