2021 - Is inflation finally back in the conversation?

Reagan1k

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Obviously the SPR is actually for political gamesmanship.

And why would producers want to ramp up at $70 when they might be able to wait for $100 (or more under your scenario)

So you mean it has no real strategic value and all it gives us is negotiating leverage with other oil producers? Or am I missing it?

6 hours ago, B00M said:

Given the events of the last few years, it seems short sighted to assume we don’t need the SPR.  I realize we only import like 3% of our oil from the Middle East but if China invades Taiwan and we lose a lot of our pacific fleet, it doesn’t seem crazy to assume Iran and Houthis could disrupt flow out of the ME precisely when our national consumption (and that of our allies) will surge.

why do you think it’s not a problem? If it’s cool that we physically can’t refill our SPR, what do we even have it for? 

Now that the United States is a net exporter of petroleum, it's really hard to justify the SPR.  It's akin to Greenland maintaining a Strategic Ice Reserve or Oklahoma holding on to a Strategic Meth Reserve.  It doesn't really make any sense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

SIAP, I don’t lurk over here often but this seems like the right thread. Was having a conversation with a mortgage lender buddy and brought up business. It’s obviously down but he says there’s a steady flow of customers cashing out at a higher interest rate just to get out from their credit card debt. I had to look up the stats and it’s crazy since the end of Covid.

https://www.lendingtree.com/credit-cards/credit-card-debt-statistics/

95b1b09c0bcb9650633272b58439c48f.jpg

Just had a similar conversation with my wife.  I always pay off card monthly but not sure I've ever had a higher current balance than when I logged in yesterday to make the payment.  Granted there are extenuating circumstances (Big 12 champ tix, Sugar Bowl trip flight and hotel prepaid, refundable flight/hotel to Houston for championship game) on top of all of the typical Christmas related charges, but still, it was a bit shocking and I did a double take.  It's just crazy how expensive everything is.  I've got reserves to absorb it but I don't know how people living paycheck to paycheck or "budgeting" based on prior spending are handling it.  The chart above is not surprising at all.  Feel like this all has to come crashing down at some point in '24 but I've been saying that this entire year so who knows.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Just had a similar conversation with my wife.  I always pay off card monthly but not sure I've ever had a higher current balance than when I logged in yesterday to make the payment.  Granted there are extenuating circumstances (Big 12 champ tix, Sugar Bowl trip flight and hotel prepaid, refundable flight/hotel to Houston for championship game) on top of all of the typical Christmas related charges, but still, it was a bit shocking and I did a double take.  It's just crazy how expensive everything is.  I've got reserves to absorb it but I don't know how people living paycheck to paycheck or "budgeting" based on prior spending are handling it.

Well, people living paycheck to paycheck don't buy $1K game tickets, multiple flights or $1K hotel rooms (per night).  Your experience, while perhaps surprising to you, has nothing to do with the average middle income American.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Just had a similar conversation with my wife.  I always pay off card monthly but not sure I've ever had a higher current balance than when I logged in yesterday to make the payment.  Granted there are extenuating circumstances (Big 12 champ tix, Sugar Bowl trip flight and hotel prepaid, refundable flight/hotel to Houston for championship game) on top of all of the typical Christmas related charges, but still, it was a bit shocking and I did a double take.  It's just crazy how expensive everything is.  I've got reserves to absorb it but I don't know how people living paycheck to paycheck or "budgeting" based on prior spending are handling it.  The chart above is not surprising at all.  Feel like this all has to come crashing down at some point in '24 but I've been saying that this entire year so who knows.

Lol. Is this post a troll? 

"Let me complain about higher expenses while I'm buying tickets to major football games, multiple flights and hotels to go drop even more on football games, all during the Christmas holidays." 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Nice humble brag, well played sir. 

Also, Hook ‘Em! I couldn’t justify those ticket prices but I’m thankful for folks like yourself that did 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Lucky me got hit with bills for an upcoming two-week international trip for three people, a domestic trip, a college tuition payment, car / house insurance payment, and a hefty Estimated Tax Payment this month.  Total outlay nearly $45K.  Yipppie.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Lucky me got hit with bills for an upcoming two-week international trip for three people, a domestic trip, a college tuition payment, car / house insurance payment, and a hefty Estimated Tax Payment this month.  Total outlay nearly $45K.  Yipppie.

You count your estimated payments as part of your spending? That's a way to an early grave. I had to explain to myself that if I had a regular paycheck that I'd never see money in the first place. So instead of counting it as spending, I count it as something that I was just holding for the time being. 

Otherwise, I would go insane.

I will sheepishly raise my hand and say I have recently had the same experience as skipper.  I pay my card off monthly, and I kind of rocked back in my chair when I opened the Amex statement on my computer.  Shit is expensive, in general.  College tuition is still the most inflated but groceries are trying their hardest.  Airline travel is actually relatively cheap in my view.

33 minutes ago, B00M said:

Also, Hook ‘Em! I couldn’t justify those ticket prices but I’m thankful for folks like yourself that did 

For Big 12 champ tix I had good seats but purchased around 9PM Friday night before game for about a 60 or 70% discount of what the same seats were selling for the Monday prior.  I'm hoping for a similar experience with the Sugar Bowl but not quite as confident we will see the same drop.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

"Let me complain about higher expenses while I'm buying tickets to major football games, multiple flights and hotels to go drop even more on football games, all during the Christmas holidays." 

I made those purchases and I knew what they cost.  My balance was about 25% higher than I expected because of how insane pricing for everything else is right now.  So in the context of a chart reflecting peak credit card balances, it just reminded me of the exact conversation I had last night (without seeing the chart) that I don't see how this doesn't all blow up in the first half of '24. 

My prediction is one last big consumer spending push this quarter and then a big slowdown into first half of next year with a noticeable bump on delinquencies on cards, car payments, etc.  

10 hours ago, B00M said:

Given the events of the last few years, it seems short sighted to assume we don’t need the SPR.  I realize we only import like 3% of our oil from the Middle East but if China invades Taiwan and we lose a lot of our pacific fleet, it doesn’t seem crazy to assume Iran and Houthis could disrupt flow out of the ME precisely when our national consumption (and that of our allies) will surge.

why do you think it’s not a problem? If it’s cool that we physically can’t refill our SPR, what do we even have it for? 

My “why?” was less of an existential question and more of a why is the goal to have it at full capacity at all times.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, people living paycheck to paycheck don't buy $1K game tickets, multiple flights or $1K hotel rooms (per night).  Your experience, while perhaps surprising to you, has nothing to do with the average middle income American.

Would probably be more accurate if you replaced “don’t” with “shouldn't”, unfortunately. SECx3 been in way too many big games to convince me otherwise. 

15 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

SIAP, I don’t lurk over here often but this seems like the right thread. Was having a conversation with a mortgage lender buddy and brought up business. It’s obviously down but he says there’s a steady flow of customers cashing out at a higher interest rate just to get out from their credit card debt. I had to look up the stats and it’s crazy since the end of Covid.

https://www.lendingtree.com/credit-cards/credit-card-debt-statistics/

95b1b09c0bcb9650633272b58439c48f.jpg

the credit card balance statistic isn't what most people seem to think it is.  it's the statement balance, rather than a carried balance.  they actually can't tell how much is carried balance.  i'm not sure how seasonally adjusted that data is when you can literally see the seasonality in the sawtooth of the graph. 

image.png.b5e9dfae59368a42ff3767908f6fde3c.png 

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/staff_reports/sr479_faq.pdf

so it includes @Skipper's tickets unless he pays his card off before the statement. 

another chunk is subject of the thread.  this data isn't adjusted for inflation.

delinquency rates are more interesting.

not trending in the right direction but still below where we were prior to great recession:

image.png.485efe32082c63825d636e2f53e8158c.png

as a percent of balance in serious delinquency the national average is about as low as its ever been

image.thumb.png.d771495001277cf037416024d3d52555.png

i thought this was kinda interesting.  debt collection by third parties has basically died

image.thumb.png.fe467be1c8dcf9c2c7f5dda3b573f3a1.png

to some extent some of this is that we were at historic lows for delinquencies as so pretty much nowhere to go but up.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

@elfenix Can you talk more about the juxtaposition of charts 1 and 2 in your post?

Delinquencies are up... but the balance that's delinquent is significantly smaller?

source pdf: https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/interactives/householdcredit/data/pdf/HHDC_2023Q3

it's % of the balance, not absolute terms.  and that's all debts, not just credit cards.  total debt is up (again, not inflation adjusted) (note that 18-29 year olds don't have that much debt, so despite having the highest delinquency rates in almost every category it doesn't add up to much):

image.png.76bde50688533a399062c850929cd8ca.png

mortgage debt is the biggest chunk of debt for every age group, with auto loans looking like they're second for those over 40, student loans second for those below.  people are relatively on time with their mortgage and student loan payments which is why the percent balance 90 days late is low.

% of balance in serious delinquency for mortgages is coming up off the floor but is still lower than it was in the before times.

image.png.c5a3c3e6d9c93334019adc75410988f1.png

student loan serious delinquencies are basically 0 right now due to the pause, but had been running ~10% of balance (it was the one loan type where 18-29 was actually the least delinquent)

image.png.916f427e2e4eaacca8a89c526b300e62.png

auto loan delinquencies are not good for the under 40 crowd, about average for the over 40 crowd. 

image.png.16ebaf625eb27c349a0875bbf1973349.png

foreclosures and bankruptcies are also running about half of what they were in the before times. 

mortgage delinquencies going above ~1.5%, maybe 1.75% is when i'd start being concerned.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, Incredulity said:

Yeah, I mean no one has ever needed to fall back on reserve inventory of any production material in the history of making stuff.

But we have the reserve inventory.  It's in the ground.  It's not going anywhere.  

Your point makes sense for Oklahoma as it continues to weigh the benefits of creating a Strategic Meth Reserve.  Unlike petroleum, meth has to be manufactured.  And it has to be manufactured from chemicals that themselves have to be manufactured.  So there is the potential for a shortage if there is any interruption in the manufacturing process.

But petroleum isn't manufactured.  It's already there.  All we're doing with the SPR is transferring petroleum from one hole in the ground to another hole in the ground.  And yeah, it's more accessible when it's in the second hole.  But it's not like we're ever going to have a real shortage of production equipment sufficient to justify the costs of the SPR.

On 12/15/2023 at 6:37 PM, Hal Finney said:

In the words of the great Winston Wolf, let’s no go sucking each other’s dicks just yet. 

5342-BE3-E-5-C97-499-D-8177-EC85-C3-F514

Powell changes signaling, market now pricing in rate cuts in 2024.

The difference being Nixon engineered the rate cuts by instructing his buddy Burns to lower them in 1972 for political reasons (get elected) and had nothing to do with inflation. (there are recorded tapes of it). I doubt Biden called Powell up and asked for rate cuts before the election but I’m sure it will seem that way to certain people. 

Inflation shot back up after Carter stupidly passed 2 stimulus bills (Economic Stimulus Appropriations Act 1977 and Revenue Act 1978) for the stalled economy when it didn’t need it and then an oil shock happened again which supercharged the problem. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

But we have the reserve inventory.  It's in the ground.  It's not going anywhere.  

Your point makes sense for Oklahoma as it continues to weigh the benefits of creating a Strategic Meth Reserve.  Unlike petroleum, meth has to be manufactured.  And it has to be manufactured from chemicals that themselves have to be manufactured.  So there is the potential for a shortage if there is any interruption in the manufacturing process.

But petroleum isn't manufactured.  It's already there.  All we're doing with the SPR is transferring petroleum from one hole in the ground to another hole in the ground.  And yeah, it's more accessible when it's in the second hole.  But it's not like we're ever going to have a real shortage of production equipment sufficient to justify the costs of the SPR.

I read today that, and in no small part due to the U.S. production, OPEC control of worldwide/total petroleum is down to ~50%. That is good as it the lower that number goes, the duller their influence when they act as a cartel.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I read today that, and in no small part due to the U.S. production, OPEC control of worldwide/total petroleum is down to ~50%. That is good as it the lower that number goes, the duller their influence when they act as a cartel.

The amazing thing is that together, the United States and Canada now produce more petroleum than do Saudi Arabia and Russia combined.  

We're kind of caught in this very Boomer mindset that the Arabs control the global petroleum market.  Today, that couldn't be further from the truth.  Combined, the Gulf Arab producers (i.e., Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait, the UAE, and Qatar) produce less annually than the United States and Canada.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not an O&G guy . . . honest question:  is there a difference between SPR and in-field resources in terms of response time to add supply?  I definitely recall a pretty bad lag in drilling once thousands of rigs have been mothballed after price has cratered.

Yes--the SPR is stored in salt domes in Texas and Louisiana.  So there is a lag not only in production, but in transportation.

But whether that lag is meaningful is another question.  When it comes to addressing economic considerations, which is the only purpose to which the SPR has ever been put, the lag has not been material.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, BeardIP said:

That is why the Saudi's are now trying to develop influential positions in global soccer and golf; clearly that is a power play for economic influence

On 12/18/2023 at 6:40 PM, Ghost of LL said:

justify the costs of the SPR.

what are the costs? 

On 12/20/2023 at 9:22 AM, Storm the Field said:

Oh the vibes they are a changin'...

Best economic sentiment readings in 6 months. 

On 12/18/2023 at 7:25 PM, Neonmoon said:

The difference being Nixon engineered the rate cuts by instructing his buddy Burns to lower them in 1972 for political reasons (get elected) and had nothing to do with inflation. (there are recorded tapes of it). I doubt Biden called Powell up and asked for rate cuts before the election but I’m sure it will seem that way to certain people. 

Raging economy, but rate cuts already being priced in for 2024 off of Powell's change in tone. Hard not to see a political angle.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:28 PM, Skipper said:

Uh, maybe not spending thousands on traveling to football games?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Overall corporate pre-tax profits (excluding the Federal Reserve Banks), jumped by 3.4% in Q3 from Q2, and by 5.5% year-over-year, to a record seasonally adjusted annual rate of $3.45 trillion, fueled by profit spikes in a number of industries whose figures the Bureau of Economic Analysis released today ...
During the surge of inflation in 2021 and 2022, price increases were outstripping cost increases by extraordinary margins, hence the spike in profits. Then there was a lull in Q1 and Q2 this year, and now it’s starting all over again:

spacer.png

Surging profitability during a period of big inflation is a sign that companies have leveraged inflation to their advantage, hiking prices much faster than their costs went up, and thereby doing their part in fueling inflationary momentum. And they’re able to do it because their customers are willing to pay those whatever-prices.

More:

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/12/21/the-inflationary-aspects-of-corporate-profits-by-major-industry-with-charts-its-starting-all-over-again-good-lordy/

On 12/19/2023 at 12:02 PM, Ghost of LL said:

The amazing thing is that together, the United States and Canada now produce more petroleum than do Saudi Arabia and Russia combined.  

We're kind of caught in this very Boomer mindset that the Arabs control the global petroleum market.  Today, that couldn't be further from the truth.  Combined, the Gulf Arab producers (i.e., Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait, the UAE, and Qatar) produce less annually than the United States and Canada.

Read this today (here is link: https://apnews.com/article/opec-oil-cartel-angola-3dad99b3189cfce01fbf29113dd33d0f?)

This is, like, uh, interesting, man!

Angola is taking its oil and going solo. The African nation said it was leaving the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) yesterday, becoming the latest on a growing list of countries ditching the Saudi-led club as its power wanes.

Why? Angola, which was one of OPEC’s largest African oil producers, got pretty peeved at the cartel when it cut Angola’s oil output quota by 25% in November.

Big picture: OPEC wants to be able to throttle production or slam its foot on the…gas whenever necessary to maximize oil profits, so it needs oil-producing bigwigs. With Angola’s departure, the group is down to 12 members (an additional 11 ally countries comprise OPEC+, which Brazil will join next year).

Recently, oil prices have been hovering around $75 per barrel (they dropped $1 after Angola announced its departure, before regaining some), even after the cartel lowered production to try to boost prices, upsetting some members. Indonesia, Ecuador, and Qatar have all left the group in the last seven years.

OPEC’s power is ebbing. The group only controls ~51% of the world’s crude oil market share, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA), the lowest since it expanded in 2016 to include OPEC+ countries. And countries outside of OPEC and OPEC+ are filling the gaps as the organization pulls back. The US Energy Information Administration said US crude oil output hit a record 13.3 million barrels per day last week. Plus, the market is shrinking as the world turns to greener alternatives. Oil demand is expected to peak before 2030, according to the IEA.