Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

On 11/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, Doc Reeves said:

Buddy. I cant even tell you. 

about a year or two ago there was a girl who’s mom my wife knew. Sr at Alamo heights HS who had just been accepted to Yale. She killed herself in a suicide pact with a South African exchange student after he returned to SA. Just bewildering.

Fuck. Man that's tough yo hear. RIP to the young woman. 

21 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Same. I’ll say this, at least aggy is willing to spend reckless money on a proven coach and players. Yes the contract is dumb, no I don’t think it should have been spent on Jimbo out of all the coaches who won a championship but here they are and here we are.

The only 'reckless money' spent on the HC position has been right here.  Over $70mil in salaries and buyouts for Strong/Herman/Sark in the last 7 years.  That's way more than Jimbo's contract.

9 minutes ago, hornchaud said:

The only 'reckless money' spent on the HC position has been right here.  Over $70mil in salaries and buyouts for Strong/Herman/Sark in the last 7 years.  That's way more than Jimbo's contract.

It's not just the dollar amount.  By guaranteeing it with no buyout they are sending positive signals and showing their commitment to staying the course even if something goes wrong.

"Providing the appropriate amount of stability and continuity during this important time is critical as we support our football program at the highest level," Aggies athletic director Ross Bjork said in a news release announcing Fisher's extension.

Edited by burdine

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Could Jimmy Lake be the missing piece for PKs defense? 

There is a pretty sizable disconnect between the secondary coaches and Kwiatkowski, almost like Gideon and Joseph were offered jobs because Muschamp was the guy Sarkisian really wanted. I would absolutely trade Lake for Joseph tomorrow.

I did notice that the safeties where playing much closer to the LOS against ISU this week, not that it matters when Schooler was a complete shitshow.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

This might be the most important Recruiting weekend in sarks short tenur.

Campbell

Dewberrry 

Banks 

we have to have these dudes ..

I get the desire but these dudes probably wouldn’t  play soon enough to save us from ourselves. Transfers are our only hope and it’s going to be portal combat.

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I get the desire but these dudes probably wouldn’t  play soon enough to save us from ourselves. Transfers are our only hope and it’s going to be portal combat.

True, but we need to start building a base to while we go for microwaveable talent 

• Like 1

So with the NIL rules change basically allowing a program to pay players on a round about way, and this program having as many big money boosters as amyone, why not identify potential quality transfers then through back channels negotiate deals for transfer? 

Gotta crack those eggs to eat that omlet. 

On 11/6/2021 at 11:09 PM, Fondren & Main said:

@closetojumping I look forward to your big cigar posts this week.  They must be beyond furious.  We look like dogshit fried over.

All I can say is that I talked to a buddy yesterday and the take is that "the players are soft at Texas. maybe it's Austin." I laughed and mocked the notion, which he tried to rebut but I was in the Vegas airport and didn't have time for a longer phone call.

As said in previous weeks, this is a team that is getting worse as the year goes on, led by a soft loser with a staff of apparently soft losers. Short of a mid-week bender in public or a camera catching the guys quaffing off of flask in mid-game, we're stuck with this band of losers for 3 more seasons after this. None of the money gives a fuck. He's a nice guy and they're blaming Herman and the city. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All I can say is that I talked to a buddy yesterday and the take is that "the players are soft at Texas. maybe it's Austin." I laughed and mocked the notion, which he tried to rebut but I was in the Vegas airport and didn't have time for a longer phone call.

As said in previous weeks, this is a team that is getting worse as the year goes on, led by a soft loser with a staff of apparently soft losers. Short of a mid-week bender in public or a camera catching the guys quaffing off of flask in mid-game, we're stuck with this band of losers for 3 more seasons after this. None of the money gives a fuck. He's a nice guy and they're blaming Herman and the city. 

I haven't noticed anyone on the staff pissed off about much of anything, and it shows in how the team performs. This feels a lot like the Charlie Strong era, which felt like being bludgeoned to death Saturday after Saturday. 

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I haven't noticed anyone on the staff pissed off about much of anything, and it shows in how the team performs. This feels a lot like the Charlie Strong era, which felt like being bludgeoned to death Saturday after Saturday. 

Feels like they could be walking on eggshells.. ever since the psyche week talk, I wonder if they tear into the players, they are afraid that half of them walk out?  And before we hear the "let them walk" talk, that will only fuck up the ones still playing worse right?  

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

This is the Chuckles Strong era, redux. Charley Sarkisian is helming the program to its first 5-7 season in at least ... (checks notes) 5 years. Light the cigarettes now, boys, because we've already been fucked.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All I can say is that I talked to a buddy yesterday and the take is that "the players are soft at Texas. maybe it's Austin."

What an odd affliction, which apparently only affects football players. Volleyball, baseball, golf, etc. are totally immune!

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Feels like they could be walking on eggshells.. ever since the psyche week talk, I wonder if they tear into the players, they are afraid that half of them walk out?  And before we hear the "let them walk" talk, that will only fuck up the ones still playing worse right?  

That's not how you manage anyone - children, employees, managers, players, whatever. Hell, you wouldn't even confront a fucking predator in the wild with that strategy. Herman was a classic shitbag, but he treated the players like dogshit and we didn't see a walk out. You don't "nice" people into better performance.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What an odd affliction, which apparently only affects football players. Volleyball, baseball, golf, etc. are totally immune!

To be fair, the football group is over 100 people. That is a large, soft  culture compared to the other groups.

Football has its every whim catered to. I am sure the others also do, but on a much smaller scale. We can't even get the worthless assholes fired from Bellmont, the place is so insulated.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Justin Wells) Inside Scoop: Latest on top recruiting targets, UT commit returns to action

Catching up with UT pledge Brenen Thompson, latest from November 13th recruiting visitors, and more on Evan Stewart, Kam Dewberry, and DJ Hicks in the Scoop.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX) (TEXAS) – 2022:

The On3 No. 40 overall prospect and UT pledge was supposed to miss the majority of his senior campaign after a massive spur was discovered on top of his talus bone on his foot. Think again. Well, the 5-foot-10, 170-pound speedster made a surprise appearance in Spearman’s final regular season game on Friday. “(Brenen) wasn’t supposed to play last night,” said Bonnie Thompson, Brenen’s mother. “He suited up since it was his last home game, and it threw that team all off. Completely destroyed their (opponents) gameplan. It boosted our team’s confidence 100x times just having him suited up, and that’s what they needed.”

Thompson and his coaches made sure not to fill up his plate, rather make opposing defenses pay immediate attention. “He went in for about 12 snaps or so just to be a decoy,” Bonnie said. “The touchdown was from the 3-yard line. Hand-off and run into end-zone.” It was a big boost the Spearman Lynx needed. Now, Thompson remains in rehab before his full release next month. Hopefully Spearman is still going strong in late November, early December. “He’ll go back in four weeks to get completely released,” said Bonnie.

The measure of toughness with this prospect is off the charts. His speed and tenacity will be appreciated on the Forty Acres.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX) (OREGON) – 2022:

The On3 No. 27 overall prospect for 2022 had kept the lines of communication open between the Longhorns and Aggies coaching staffs. The Oregon verbal pledge remains solid to the Ducks, he tells IT. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound offensive tackle is one of the more coveted talents in-state for this cycle, and Texas and Texas A&M are treating him as such. Banks was set to take an unofficial to College Station over the weekend, but the five-star from Humble didn’t make the trip. Banks says it’s still good to go for this weekend in Austin.

The Horns are hosting some of the state’s best offensive linemen vs Kansas on Saturday, November 13th. Banks remains in constant contact with Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and is listening to the Longhorns pitch carefully. Getting the five-star tackle at a must-need position back on campus would be a big step in this pursuit. And Banks is listening.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX) – 2022:

Dewberry remains scheduled to be in Austin this weekend with a decision slated for December 15th. The visit to Texas A&M last weekend couldn’t have gone better. The family’s relationship with Kenyon Green’s family is helping the Aggies, along with winning big games. There is a push in the circle for Kam to stay within driving distance, so the family can go to a practice or game and return home the same day. That helps Texas A&M, and potentially Texas depending on how this weekend goes. Oklahoma is strong in Dewberry’s mind, obviously, with the new push to stay within a days driving distance of Humble.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) – 2022:

According to a source at the Aggies game Saturday, the On3 Consensus 5-star was the least vocal of the top targets in attendance. He wasn’t as into the game as the others. His family was said to have had a very good time on the trip, and with the game day experience. What does it all mean with Stewart’s recruitment? Not much, but further data points. A source in DFW still predicts Stewart will sign with Texas or Texas A&M in December.

S Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX) (TEXAS A&M) – 2022:

The Texas A&M commit had considered heading to Austin on Saturday to take in the Texas game day experience. As of Sunday night, it doesn’t look like that visit will happen.

DE DJ Hicks Jr, Allen (Allen, TX) – 2023:

When the On3 No. 9 overall talent for the 2023 class is talking UT, you listen. The 6-foot-4, 255-pound defensive end formerly of Katy Morton ranch now plays for the Allen Eagles and helping their playoff push. On Sunday, Hicks dropped his Top 11 schools. Texas, OU, Florida, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Oregon, LSU, Clemson, and Ohio State are all schools Hicks mentioned standing out to the IT staff.

With 30+ offers in hand, he’s taken unofficials to UT, OU, Texas A&M, LSU, Baylor, and Missouri throughout the summer and a couple game this fall. He has a great relationship with UT DL coach Bo Davis and keeps the Horns near the top of his list. Hicks is in no hurry to make a decision and wants to see more campuses starting this spring. This is a long play for the UT staff, so just stay the course.

DE Jordan Renaud, Legacy (Tyler, TX) – 2023:

The On3 No. 79 overall prospect for the junior class keeps getting better. Maybe it’s the cooler weather, where defensive lineman usually play better, or maybe its his immense talent coming to the surface. With Renaud attending multiple schools over the last 12 months, getting settled into a consistent scheme seems to suit the 6-foot-4.5, 250-pound defensive end. Renaud was in attendance for the Texas-Auburn game last Saturday, and is looking at a return trip to Austin soon.

Renaud admits UT, Texas A&M, OU, and Alabama continue to push the hardest, and is looking forward to a return visit to Tuscaloosa in January. Renaud tells IT he’s really eager to see Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC soon. He thinks it’ll only help bring more talent to two of the biggest programs and wants to see how they matchup in college football’s top conference.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Galena Park, TX) – 2022:

The state’s top corner prospect is still slated to see Austin this weekend for the Texas-KU contest. Harris has been a regular at DKR this season on a few occasions, and the Horns hope to maintain the relationship as they fight off LSU and Alabama advances.

• Like 1

The blaming the city of Austin bit is always funny. As if there are no parties, girls, sheep, or whatever in Norman or College Station; and players at Texas are treated like royalty in a major city where most people wouldn’t recognize or cares about them while the big fish in the small ponds that are OU and aggy receive no such treatment. Okay.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The blaming the city of Austin bit is always funny. As if there are no parties, girls, sheep, or whatever in Norman or College Station; and players at Texas are treated like royalty in a major city where most people wouldn’t recognize or cares about them while the big fish in the small ponds that are OU and aggy receive no such treatment. Okay.

For real. The average Austinite has not a single fucking clue who Casey Thompson is. 

Live look in at Swimming and Diving grinding every other program in their path into fucking dust - the baseball team kicking heads in. Tennis. Track. Rowing. etc ...  

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You don't throw kids under the bus in public. You do it behind closed doors.

25 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Just because you don't see people becoming unhinged on the sidelines doesn't mean he isn't lighting them up during the week or in meetings. He's basically been calling players out in press conferences for the past few weeks. Guys are either weak minded or they have things other than football that they care more about. 

They really need to hit on strong mental evals in their recruiting. The culture has been a problem for a long time, and they've got to figure out a way to instill a better one and maintain it. Sam knew it was an issue, but even he wasn't able to get those other guys to follow his lead en masse. 

Herman came in and tried to instill a tough culture, but he was maybe too heavy handed in doing so, and he recruited a lot of guys who didn't take well to that style of coaching. He lost the team as a result.

Charlie did something similar initially, but he couldn't find a QB and he was an exceptionally shitty coach.

Sark is a "nicer" guy, but you can tell he is a straight shooter and he's got high expectations. Maybe if he had more bonafides, the kids would take to the coaching better, but I don't think so. The roster churn and potential culture shift will determine his ability to win here. 

Edited by Atticus

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Just because you don't see people becoming unhinged on the sidelines doesn't mean he isn't lighting them up during the week or in meetings. He's basically been calling players out in press conferences for the past few weeks. Guys are either weak minded or they have things other than football that they care more about. 

They really need to hit on strong mental evals in their recruiting. The culture has been a problem for a long time, and they've got to figure out a way to instill a better one and maintain it. Sam knew it was an issue, but even he wasn't able to get those other guys to follow his lead en masse. 

Herman came in and tried to instill a tough culture, but he was maybe too heavy handed in doing so, and he recruited a lot of guys who didn't take well to that style of coaching. He lost the team as a result.

Charlie did something similar initially, but he couldn't find a QB and he was an exceptionally shitty coach.

Sark is a "nicer" guy, but you can tell he is a straight shooter and he's got high expectations. Maybe if he had more bonafides it would make a difference, but I don't think so. The roster churn and potential culture shift will determine his ability to win here. 

I can tell you that I wholeheartedly wish what you are saying is true, but that isn't the word. I'll keep wishing what you're thinking is correct right along with you, because it portends a better near term future. That said, don't start making that bet emotionally, because the truth looks a lot more like Charley Sarkisian than Nick Sarkisian so far. 

• Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Showing emotion on the sideline is not "throwing kids under the bus."

You can't light a fire to correct behavior in a second half after the game is over. Maybe that's what we haven't figured out yet.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting