Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

yes aggy. they're going all out for the #1 class this year. they're probably not going to be as good next year (not withstanding the @closetojumping preseason prediction kiss of death), but if they keep stockpiling top 5 classes could be pretty solid in a few years and then Jimbo just has to find the QB who can make his system work and there you go.

Seems familiar.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Fans defy human nature. Hence the name. Humans make decisions based on emotions and then rationalize those decisions with whatever logic they can find. That’s true rich or poor. Only sociopaths, narcissists, BPD, and geniuses occasionally evade that reality. 

I don’t agree with what others are saying about the bag game. They’re going to magically wind up with 5 key guys around signing day. It will also dissipate over time. 

I already gave you my thoughts on a timeframe. The big money will come in on NIL. Already seeing it. 

Not the way it works. Folks like to spend their money somewhere. 

I didn’t say that. I literally just posted, again, about what it should and will look like. It will take all kinds. 

Frankly, this is part of the natural tension that has occurred. The AD has made a case to avoid NIL in part because they’re threatened. It won’t work out for them and it is shortsighted. 

Which signing day though? I need to know when I’m going to be hurt

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It's amazing how short-sighted some of these kids can be. Stewart is going to cost himself millions in NIL and NFL draft money just to take a $250k bag. Hope any of you that follow him on social media go unfollow pronto.

Confused Episode 1 GIF by Friends - Find & Share on GIPHY in 2021 | Giphy,  Gif, Episode

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You guys that like to take dumps on this board about the “big money donors” are projecting your ire poorly. The BMDs are a fucking strength of the AD and when properly harnessed, project as a competitive advantage. They’re also not some faceless man pulling strings on coaches and shit. They have this really bad habit of saying “yes, but I’d like to understand it all” when asked for money. Shockingly, they want to help but they’re not buffoons and they didn’t hit 8, 9, or 10 zeros behind a digit in net worth by being morons. 

I’ve preached all along that NIL needs to be a layer cake from top to bottom of interested parties and a lot is coming along fast and some of it unrelated to each other. But $5/month still matters a whole fucking lot and Surly is a good example how that can ultimately be harnessed. Some things take a while and some things can happen fast, we’ll see a lot soon and have done a lot already. 

Beyond all of that, I will stand by what I’ve been saying for 6 months after digging into it and talking to people who cover this stuff with depth - the dark market (bag game) will dissipate over time if the right amount of money is an alternative to point to in a legitimate market (NIL). That will take a cycle or two to be proven true, so folks won’t have to wait too long to call me an idiot if the bag game isn’t relegated to a corner case issue for shitbirds by the 2024/2025 classes. 

We'll see soon with the NIL initiatives Texas is taking on. I doubt the dark money goes away unless there are serious repercussions for it, which there aren't right now

8 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

We'll see soon with the NIL initiatives Texas is taking on. I doubt the dark money goes away unless there are serious repercussions for it, which there aren't right now

That's part of what my point hinges on. Nothing's making it more advantageous for a recruit to hold out only for the legit NIL money vs. going after both. Nothing changes before they get on campus, which is when the majority of the bag game is played.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That's part of what my point hinges on. Nothing's making it more advantageous for a recruit to hold out only for the legit NIL money vs. going after both. Nothing changes before they get on campus, which is when the majority of the bag game is played.

No, no, 17-18 boys are known for their patience. They’ll wait for the taxable only money, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It's amazing how short-sighted some of these kids can be. Stewart is going to cost himself millions in NIL and NFL draft money just to take a $250k bag. Hope any of you that follow him on social media go unfollow pronto.

No he's not because he'll transfer after his freshmen year if he doesn't get the ball enough.  Every player is a free agent now with the one time no penalty transfer rule.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It’s actually amazing how short-sighted grown adult fans can be. He can take this money, transfer anywhere he wants, and still proceed as planned. Whatever that plan may be, Tic-tok house, live streaming sheep fucker, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Any interest in this Missouri City WR that just decommitted from USC?

https://247sports.com/Player/Caleb-Douglas-46109936/ 

I hope not. The Grand Prairie kid we were all groaning about yesterday is probably better than him.

This was a bad take by SC and there’s a reason why he’s the first one gone after Riley came in.

51 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

the money isn't for him, its for his handlers they are the ones fucking him

It's truly ridiculous we have not already raised $5K for Worthy.  It should be a $10K target anyway IMO.

If Stewart got $250k just to go to A&M what should we be doing for Worthy????

I get hating on the LHF and our bloated Athletic Department.

But this kid put forth a tremendous effort on our behalf.

He is truly worthy of our recognition.

This board talks a lot about what Texas should like on the field.  We agree that this year's team fell short. 

But Worthy exemplified what we want Texas Football to look like IMO.  If Surly can't muster that then we aren't who we think we are.

I already gave a $100 to the fund and I will give another $200 if at least ten others agree to contribute $200 more as well.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Hopefully NIL takes it to the player getting the cash instead of his "uncle" getting the cash. Also... $100k vs nothing is easy choice... $100k vs $125k becomes less clear. And finally at some point if enough NIL money is out there the bar for bags to raise to compete each year becomes large to the point they spend more time figuring out NIL then they do bags just from logistical practicality standpoint.

I don’t know what would be more realistic: (a) trying to court Mickey Joseph after giving his relative Terry the boot or (b) Evan Stewart’s entourage putting together a DCF model to compare bags versus NIL funds.

1 minute ago, burdine said:

It's truly ridiculous we have not already raised $5K for Worthy.  It should be a $10K target anyway IMO.

This board talks a lot about what Texas should like on the field.  We agree that this year's team fell short. 

But Worthy exemplified what we want Texas Football to look like IMO.  If Surly can't muster that then we aren't who we think we are.

I already gave a $100 to the fund and I will give another $200 if at least ten others agree to contribute $200 more as well.

Considering you aren't Burnt Ends, it seems you may be part of the problem.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

How much do we think the same setup for ROJO would have raked-in by now? Just a thought that came to mind, no hidden point or second guessing or anything.

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Considering you aren't Burnt Ends, it seems you may be part of the problem.

Maybe I am.

I was waiting to see if UT was going to put a vehicle out there to contribute to.

But if they don't, then I'll be joining Burnt Ends.

Edited by burdine
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, burdine said:

Maybe I am.

I was waiting to see if UT was going to put a vehicle out there to contribute to.

But if they don't, they I'll be joining Burnt Ends.

Will be glad to see more participation. I also agree with some of your post. I see Burnt Ends as the beginning of a new era in college football and was eager to get in at the begining. Hopefully we see bigger and better things coming.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

whynotboth.gif

I guess I was wanting to contribute to a big pool that would be able to do what closetojumping is talking about.  Most players getting paid a substantial salary and so on.

But if that big pool doesn't materialize soon, then yeah I will join Burnt Ends.  I was looking at the options yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 2

I know everyone is fixated on the bag game and NIL money but how much of Stewart not coming here relates to our awful QB room with no remedy in sight? A&M has a 5 star in their QB room and another one committed in this class. A good recruiter like Jimbo can easily make a convincing pitch with that.

5 minutes ago, burdine said:

Maybe I am.

But if they don't, then I'll be joining Burnt Ends.

UT won't be doing anything of the sort 

From the university's NIL FAQ:

image.thumb.png.2b029df3ab9876a0493164d24bfee026.png

ETA: I think this is a strict interpretation with easy workarounds, but point is that if you want to contribute to NIL, you just need to go out and do it.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

It's truly ridiculous we have not already raised $5K for Worthy.  It should be a $10K target anyway IMO

Is this different from the general slush fund?  

Whoever makes NIL contributions simple, easy and not sketchy is going to win.  Why does Amazon and Walmart have the “Buy Now” button?  Because it makes people spend more. Why does Google care so much about speed?  Because the longer pages take to load, the less likely people will sit around and keep clicking.  Why haven’t you opened limewire in over a decade?  Because streaming content legally has never been easier or safer. 

I am simply regurgitating points that others have made more eloquently, but I don’t think the power of crowdfunding has been taken as seriously as it should.

Just now, UTEE97 said:

I know everyone is fixated on the bag game and NIL money but how much of Stewart not coming here relates to our awful QB room with no remedy in sight? A&M has a 5 star in their QB room and another one committed in this class. A good recruiter like Jimbo can easily make a convincing pitch with that.

Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Stewart not coming here relates to our awful QB room with no remedy in sight? A&M has a 5 star in their QB room and another one committed in this class. A good recruiter like Jimbo can easily make a convincing pitch with that.

Please, please, please, please don't tell me you are referencing Haynes King as a 5-star.

• Haha 7

Just now, UTEE97 said:

but how much of Stewart not coming here relates to our awful QB room with no remedy in sight?

Obviously that plays a part. We can point to Demond Demas all we want -and that point makes absolute sense- but if Stewart believes there's a better chance that he's good enough to where Jimbo will have no other choice but to play and use him often vs. Texas having a steady QB situation, then that's what it is.. plu$ a kicker.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting