Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Posted this Drumm update earlier today, on the Riley/USC thread.  Cross posting it here.

Spoiler

*** So, last night, we said that a token Joe Castiglione surprise could be in the works with OU if they don't go the Brent Venables route. One of those was Dan Lanning, and the other I left out because I didn't want to buy it with how little this guy's name had been brought up. That name was Matt Rhule.
When discussing with several sources last night, his name came up on a few occasions as "someone that would fit and a guy to watch." The reason was due to his transformation of Temple and Baylor, as well as his fit with the Big 12 region. Also, the Joe Brady factor, I am told.

Yes, Brady's name was brought up once again, and in the Twitter Space I was on in the wee hours of the morning, I brought up Rhule and Joe Brady's name as two that had surfaced a lot, along with Brent Venables and Dan Lanning. One source I spoke with said, "You want to make it hard on players to leave? You want to make it to where Caleb Williams is going to do more than just listen to the new head coach? That would be a staff if Rhule and Brady came on board. Williams would be likely to stay or very difficult to leave, and Lanning was the reason he liked UGA so much to begin with," the source said.
According to a few well-connected coaching sources, it's never a guarantee to keep players, but any one of those options makes it easier to build a program. BV is one that has questions with CW in this scenario, but the right OC hire makes it harder for them to leave. Rhule and Brady is exactly what CW and his family are looking for with the "NFL development capacity." They how to build a program with their background at the college level already. Add the fact Lanning was the one that had CW liking UGA so much early on, and things are starting to get interesting in Norman with this search. Even more so than it already was -- if that is even possible.

In my opinion, Lanning isn't going to come to OU as anything but a head coach. However, he piques the interest of several recruits, Caleb Williams, and would help keep several players looking to leave, too. He is that respected. With Williams, his relationship with Lanning would be key, but the OC hire would be critical in some respect still, in my opinion.

With BV, some think he may not be as strong of a candidate anymore, but it could also be a deflection due to a lot of buzz in his direction. I can't confirm that, and honestly not sure I buy that either. We are digging still, but as coaching searches typically go, this thing is sending me down a lot of winding roads and chasing a lot of ghosts, as you all would expect.

With negotiations ongoing, I told you all I was shocked to learn that no background check on a new coach had been made yet, per a source. That is usually a sure-fire sign that OU is close to making the hire, and with how much buzz and momentum BV had in his corner, I would have assumed that it would have at least been to that point-- last checked, it had not.
I know that five-star commit Gabe Dindy and his family were starting to get excited about BV due to their relationship with him. So if that hire is made with BV, that is big on their front. Lanning is another name that excites them, for obvious reasons, with his time at UGA as their DC.

As for the new hot names in Matt Rhule and Joe Brady, they are exciting but also coaches they would want to meet with before making a final decision. Don't get me wrong, they want to be Sooners. They want reassurance of the stability they once thought they were committing to at the University of Oklahoma.

Again, the Dindy's will be meeting with OU at 11 am tomorrow as Bob Stoops, Calvin Thibodeaux, and others head to Lakeland (FL) to talk with them face-to-face in their in-home with OU.

One final note here on the coaching search has been brought to my attention that there could be quite the connection to Matt Rhule, Joe Brady, Lincoln Riley, and Brian Kelly, per a few sources that have called me this morning. I am working to confirm their agency all being the same as far as their representation goes. If that is the case, one source put it to me like this, "That agency is doing work on college football. They have turned it on its heels, so why not do it again?"

I think we can all agree that one way or another, we want this search to end and see where things go from here in Norman and with the Sooners football program. New eras are always exciting, but also a bit scary if you're a fan. Embrace it. Things sound like they could be moving in the right direction with the search, and why not make a splash on the 23rd anniversary of Bob Stoops hiring in 1998?

*** A note on four-star RB commit Gavin Sawchuk and four-star RB Jovantae Barnes.

I spoke with a source close to Sawchuk, who informed me that if Demarco Murray is kept, their chances of leaving or flipping from OU is "slim." They didn't completely rule (that word with an 'H' in it intrigues you all now, huh?) it out, but if Murray is kept on staff, they will struggle to be anywhere but Oklahoma.

With Barnes, he hasn't committed publicly anywhere, but his relationship with Murray is DEEP. I hear he has been great and will be "strongly considering" the Sooners still if Demarco Murray is retained on staff.
Just what I am hearing right now. I will update you all if I hear otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

And if he's not the HC?

What an incredible change to go from HC and OC at the Panthers to OU.

I am not really that concerned about Brady since it isn't like he is going to A&M where the baseline is super low and the ceiling now goes through the roof. What is he going to do? let's see him produce offenses that are THAT efficient for THAT long without hitting the jackpot of Joe Brady.

Ruhle is another story. 10/10 hire.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

As far as anyone knows Matt Rhule is getting paid a shit ton by Carolina and has complete control of that team.  He can come back to college anytime he wants - this seems like a strange move for him.  Yes Saban and Petrino did it before him - but still a strange move given what he makes and the control he has in Carolina.

It would be an odd move. He’s only one game below .500 which isn’t that bad in the NFL ESPECIALLY without a good QB. I haven’t watched them but if I’m Carolina I’m far from giving up on him. Leaving now would end any NFL dreams for him. College jobs will stay open even if he flops in Carolina. 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

It would be an odd move. He’s only one game below .500 which isn’t that bad in the NFL ESPECIALLY without a good QB. I haven’t watched them but if I’m Carolina I’m far from giving up on him. Leaving now would end any NFL dreams for him. College jobs will stay open even if he flops in Carolina. 

Their fans haaaaate him. He's on thinner ice than his record would have you believe.

5 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

I would like an offensive line commitment for my birthday...........make it happen.

• My love for you is like diarrhea. I just can’t hold it in.
  • Your eyes are as blue as toilet water.
  • Honestly, I'm into necrophilia. Wanna come home and play dead?
  • Is that a discharge in your underwear, or are you just happy to see me?
  • I dreamt about you. You died.
  • Are you ice cream? Because your face looks like rocky road.
  • For a fatty, you don’t seem to sweat much.
  • Are you free tonight, or are you going to cost me?
  • Did you just fart? Because you blew me away!
  • Are you a fire alarm? Because you are really loud and annoying!
  • Are you poop? Because even when you’re far away, I can smell you.
  • Hey, you dropped something. My standards.
  • Haha 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Their fans haaaaate him. He's on thinner ice than his record would have you believe.

i mean he has a huge guaranteed deal. i know that doesn't mean everything but its something like 36m left guaranteed.

if he makes the move it's going to be something huge $$ wise and fully guaranteed i bet. because it also burns any chance he has at going back to the NFL

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, you don't have to wait for CTJ. The Texas alumni base is larger, and wealthier than aTm's by a fairly substantial margin. Tell me, where is all this money going to come from to make up the difference? And that's BEFORE you even include corporate interests. Do you think they have unlimited donor funds? Wake me up when they put together something like this...they had to fucking borrow money from the university to fucking BUILD THEIR STADIUM RENOVATION. 

You can say it's unanswered, but that's not factually accurate. It's been answered, you just don't believe it. 

oh shit, you lit the RD bat signal...

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yup. Rhule has a lot of say in personnel and they aren't happy watching Bridgewater do well in Denver after he got Darnold and is now struggling with Cam. 

There's also this:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article256176757.html

Brady’s scheme looks predictable. It lacks creativity and cannot overcome the Panthers’ lack of talent across the offensive line. Brady took football by storm calling plays for LSU’s 2019 championship team. He exploited mismatches with a stacked roster. Without those built-in advantages, NFL defenses are forcing him to evolve and he hasn’t yet.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article256176757.html#storylink=cpy

So you have Rhule and Brady who seem better fits for college. 

I personally wish we'd just shitcan Seven Loss Steve and roll the dice to get Rhule, but we aren't doing that. :(

12 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Do tell. I graduated from UT in 2019 and had many classmates going to work for them. What would an incoming employee be getting themselves into?

Worked there from 98-01.  Terrible pay.  Horrible hours. Culture was the worst.  Started out on the queue in DHS and eventually ended up a RM in education.  Too many paper millionaires who didn’t care about the people until the dot com bubble burst in 2000.  It looks good on a resume but that’s about it. 

15 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Do tell. I graduated from UT in 2019 and had many classmates going to work for them. What would an incoming employee be getting themselves into?

It is a meat grinder of a company who criminally underpays their people and treats them like shit. I think that about covers it. 

Roach: Afternoon Notes

Spoiler

— Texas will be in New Orleans this week to check out several area schools. Terry Joseph is on the road in Louisiana right now and it sounds Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee will also make a swing through while Sark is in the Pelican State seeing committed prospects. I spoke to a source recently about Manning who feels the Longhorns have been able to maintain strong footing for the five-star passer thanks in part to his relationship with the staff. As for Joseph, though there have been some rumors about him potentially joining Brian Kelly's staff at LSU, a source I spoke with said there isn't a lot of substance to that rumor at the moment. I've heard that Corey Raymond prefers to control the entire secondary group if possible, and Raymond is reported as staying on in Baton Rouge. It's also unlikely Kelly would make a move before his defensive coordinator is in place. Chip is digging deeper on it.

— I checked in on a few recent Transfer Portal targets. Neither Oklahoma wide receiver Theo Wease or Oklahoma tight end Austin Stogner have heard from Texas yet, but both would still be very interested if the Longhorns engage according to sources near them. Stogner has heard from Utah, Ohio State, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Iowa, Iowa State, TCU, Florida State and Ole Miss. A source near Wease said he was getting a ton of attention as well with Florida State pushing hard for the former five-star.

— I spoke with the father of Oklahoma commit Xavion Brice. Their in-home visit with Texas went "great." Jeff Banks led the way with a strong presentation about fit both on and off the field and pitched Brice on how they need him as a potential difference-maker in the secondary. Brice and his family are visiting Lubbock this weekend. TCU will likely follow and Texas will host him the following weekend.

— One name that could come back around is Ephesians Prysock. The four-star defensive back from Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany decommitted from USC following their staff change. Texas engaged with him once upon a time and might jump back to him again. Blake Gideon is currently out west and will likely check in whenever he sees Prysock's teammate Larry Turner-Gooden. [Likely bullshit given the answer below]

— Kyle Flood is out west as well. He just concluded a visit with four-star OL Malik Agbo and is headed to LA to see Earnest Greene later today. I'm supposed to connect with Agbo in. a bit, but just from exchanging messages, it sounds like the visit went very well. I hope to have some more later tonight for you guys.

image.thumb.png.7d5df3fa48424b1b0fd43506fccaad69.png

I want to clarify that I recognize Rhule is a good coach and took over a shit show in Waco. But he never beat a ranked team and his great season was full of close wins, including over crap teams. It was the epitome of a charmed season that should have been expected to regress the following year. The difference between Rhule and Matt Campbell's 2021 season is that Rhule got out at the right time.

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean we know Oklahoma is going to have a good coach more often than not. With that in mind, Rhule honestly doesn't scare me much.

I’ve long said Rhule is drastically overrated. 47-43 as a college coach, atrocious record against good/ranked teams, and now sub 500 in the NFL. 

Yes, I know it was Temple and Baylor but I don’t get the hype at all. 

Still I would much prefer OU hire Venables over Rhule. 

10 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Soonerscoop is also reporting no Rhule. It's probably Venables. A high school in SC posted a picture of the Clemson staff on a visit and Venables was notably absent.

Venables plus Brady would actually still suck. Without someone like that as OC, I am not at all concerned. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, lots of folks still hearing Venables. As I said well see. 

rhule and Brady would be potent. Brady alone might hold their offensive class and players together. I’m choosing to prefer a full tire fire there from a personnel perspective. I’d prefer Venables. 

Who would they try to go after for OC if Brady is off the table? Graham Harrell?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting