Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I happen to know people close to Glasgow. My wife and his are pretty close. I’m trying to dig up some dirt, but I’m not getting much. I’ll keep trying. Odds are he wouldn't come because the wife is old Fort Worth/TCU money. At least, if he came, he’d be leaving the family in FTW, which isn’t altogether unimaginable. Anyway, if I get anything out of them, I’ll try to pass it along. 

I mean he may be unemployed soon so.....

20 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I'd like to see it. People were getting crushed for suggesting less than 9 wins.

I was in the camp that said anything below 10-3 on the year would be a disappointment and that anything below 8 wins would be a laughable joke and vindication that this guy is a fucking loser. I stand by all of it, smugly.

10 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Tony Buzbee fan

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have no idea who actually lives at that address but I hope they enjoy their dictionary and whatever other enlightening material they receive in the mail.

Also, sweet Tony Buzbee sign in your yard.

Ha, I'm guessing Google Earth? I didn't use that, but sounds on brand for our boy, nonetheless.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

This is it.  If you were a top recruit which recruiting class would you want to join up with?  They have the momentum right now.  How was Mack able to beat out Stoops for top recruits (sans Peterson & Bomar) every single year despite getting his teeth kicked in for 5 years.  We just have to admit that A&M has a better staff & recruiting structure in place.  Jimbo is finishing year 4 and this is the class he is going to bring in.  We'll just have to see if Sark is able to do the same in year 4 if he lasts that long. 

In his 4th year, he went 2-4 in his division and lost to the worst team in the west. He beats SC who is horrible every year and either Missouri or Vanderbilt. He played an incredibly weak non conference schedule and only played 3 road games on the opposing team's field and lost 2 of them. They were also supposed to be in the running for the BCS this year and failed miserably.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I would like a dictionary. Is this offer good for any of us? If so, my address is:

2519 Parkdale Dr
Kingwood, TX 77339

Thanks

You see, you wanna fuck around and I was just about to help you find out. 

ETA:

One Taylor Hamm lives at that address

That's fucking funny!

Edited by TriStone
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was in the camp that said anything below 10-3 on the year would be a disappointment and that anything below 8 wins would be a laughable joke and vindication that this guy is a fucking loser. I stand by all of it, smugly.

Ha, I'm guessing Google Earth? I didn't use that, but sounds on brand for our boy, nonetheless.

Google Street View was the first thing I checked out.  Not a bad house for a pool boy I guess.

Just now, Dr. Teeth said:

Interview question for GP: it’s 3rd down and 4. Where do you line up your CBs? 10 yards past the line of scrimmage or 15. If he walks out the door without answering, fire PK. 

CB’s 10 yards off the line, 3 man front with two backers against a two tight end look with a running quarterback. And two safeties back somewhere near Waco. 

1 hour ago, SarksJuggs said:

I’m sure the Texas football post is about some new NIL deal that won’t make a difference because they waited until a week before signing day. 

ctj already has this covered but I'll add on

A) The university/AD has done nothing proactive in the space

B) If you're complaining about the timing, go fuck yourself. It's damn impressive that some of our alumni have worked through the process of forming the appropriate business entities, recruited the talent to run the entities, and raised north of ten million dollars, all in four and a half months. By next week we will have three of the biggest NIL programs in the country, with more happening in the background. 

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have no idea who actually lives at that address but I hope they enjoy their dictionary and whatever other enlightening material they receive in the mail.

Also, sweet Tony Buzbee sign in your yard.

I knew it wasn’t actually CTJ’s when the listing didn’t include a full-sized track and shed in back with photos of Plonsky and Greg Davis pinned on the walls.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I knew it wasn’t actually CTJ’s when the listing didn’t include a full-sized track and shed in back with photos of Plonsky and Greg Davis pinned on the walls.

Good thinking. My house also includes a moat, a drawbridge and is surrounded by a 20 foot fence to protect the 4 square acres from the plebes. 

45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was impressed with the special teams and we are certainly paying enough to expect really good special teams.

Did you enjoy the muffed punts, our punt getting blocked, ridiculous punt fakes, bringing KOs out to the 18 (then pushed back with penalty) or missed XPs the best?

But yes, unfortunately, our special teams was actually an upgrade from the past decade. 

posting this here because i prefer not to go to the football board

The Athletic: Texas RB Bijan Robinson Q&A: On Steve Sarkisian, lessons from a 6-game slide and what’s next for the Horns

How exciting was it to see what Xavier Worthy accomplished this year?

Super exciting. I told X before the season started. “Man, you just got to trust in God and get out there and do what you do. Don’t worry about anything outside, don’t worry about what people have to say, don’t worry about none of that stuff. Just go out there and just ball.” And ever since then he’s had a great season, especially for a freshman. He came in and just did what he had to do, didn’t say a word, just put his head down, worked hard and you see where he’s at right now.

and

Last month, you said you don’t have any intentions of transferring and that you’ll stay at Texas. Why, and what makes you confident and optimistic about 2022?

For me. I’m really big on my faith, obviously, and I just know it’s in God’s plan for me to be here and to stay here and to change the culture, change how this team is going to be for next season. I’m just really encouraged, and I just know that we’re trying to do everything we can do this offseason to put it all in and to have a great 2022 season. I just gotta keep faithful and just understand that everything’s gonna be OK.

text:

Spoiler

Texas RB Bijan Robinson Q&A: On Steve Sarkisian, lessons from a 6-game slide and what’s next for the Horns

AUSTIN, TEXAS - NOVEMBER 26: Bijan Robinson #5 of the Texas Longhorns runs on the field wearing a brace on his elbow before the game against the Kansas State Wildcats at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on November 26, 2021 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images)
By Sam Khan Jr. Dec 3, 2021 comment-icon.png 8 save-icon.png

Much like Texas’ season, 2021 became a series of ups and downs for Longhorns running back Bijan Robinson.

The sophomore star broke out as the centerpiece of Steve Sarkisian’s offense and positioned himself as a Heisman Trophy contender through six games. But as losses mounted, Big 12 teams slowed him down, and a dislocated left elbow suffered in Texas’ Nov. 13 loss to Kansas cut Robinson’s season short.

Still, the first-team All-Big 12 selection averaged 142.2 yards per game from scrimmage, third-best in the league.

The former five-star recruit also jumped headfirst into the new world of name, image and likeness. This summer he signed deals with Raising Cane’s and Cameo. He recently partnered with DAZN, the sports streaming service and boxing rightsholder, to promote fights and make guest appearances on its daily program, “The DAZN Boxing Show.”

The Athletic visited with Robinson recently to discuss his NIL opportunities, his health, the Longhorns’ trying 2021 and his outlook for the future of Texas football.

Editor’s note: This interview was edited for length and clarity

How did this deal with DAZN come about and how long have you been a boxing fan?

One day my marketing guy, Brian Burney, just said to me, “There’s a really big deal that we have at DAZN.” I know that company because I’m a boxing guy. When he presented it to me, I was like, Yeah, we have to do that. That’s huge. I thought it would be really cool for me, for college football fans, everything. … I’ve been a boxing fan since I was in middle school. (Floyd) Mayweather, he was my guy forever. Every time he was in a fight, my whole family would get together and watch him and root for him. When I started to watch him, I started to love boxing a lot.

You’ll have some broadcasting opportunities with this deal. Is sports broadcasting something you’re interested in?

Yeah, I’m going to school for acting. So I kind of want to be in that field: radio, television and film. So whatever presents itself in the future, I think I’ll do. Broadcasting will be really fun. If it’s acting, broadcasting, it doesn’t matter, I think I’ll be pretty good at it.

This is one of several NIL deals you’ve had. What has that experience been like for you?

It’s been a blessing for sure and a super fun experience. I’ve been learning a lot about time management. Before this, I was just doing football. So putting that time into it as well, it’s like having an actual job. But with all the deals that I’ve been doing and everything that I’ve been blessed to have, it’s been a fun experience and I get to tell other people about it and even teach them about the business side of things, taxes, all that type of stuff. It’s just a lot of different things that you don’t really have to think about as a college kid that is right at the forefront of college sports.

Let’s talk about football season. First, how is your health coming off the elbow injury?

I feel really good. I’m pretty much healed up. I should be back (for) winter workouts for whatever they put me on. I have full range of motion in it. Two weeks ago, I didn’t and I was in a brace. So now I’m out of the brace and can move everything. I feel good mentally and physically and I’m just trying to get through school at this point.

The team started 4-1, but things went downhill from there. How challenging was this season for the team and you personally?

It was really challenging, a little frustrating, because we knew that we had a great team, a great set of guys with great coaching. For me this happened all in God’s plan. I know that it sucks to lose those six straight games. But for me, it was more of a learning process. We were starting off really strong, and then after the Oklahoma game, everything kind of trickled down and fell apart a little bit. But mentally I’ve been good. For me, it was more becoming a leader, because I’m more of just a lead-by-example type of guy. But that stuff started to go on and those losses started to pile up. It was kind of up to me to get the team together and (bring) everybody together. I know I’m young, but I feel that my team will listen to what I have to say if I do have to say something. Then with this injury, just looking from the outside in, it helped me a lot to get my leadership skills up, to be more vocal, to speak more. Things do happen for a reason. Overall, it was just a lesson for me.

What did you guys learn about this team through some of its struggles, about who’s on board and how you can get this program back to where you want it?

We learned who was really committed to the team, to the process. We did find some guys on the team that might have not been really committed or just were kind of in a different place and not focused on the task at hand. So we just understood that there’s going to be some guys that might not be following the right plan or don’t want to be on the right track with you. But that’s where I come in and try to help those guys out. We don’t have time to have those types of personalities, those types of attitudes on this team, because we are trying to do something special. We’re trying to do something great. But we’ve got to eliminate all the mishaps and (bumps) in the road before we get on track.

Tope Imade posted a long letter on Twitter after the last game. One of the things he wrote was, “Coach Sark is the guy. I believe that wholeheartedly.” What are your thoughts on that, and how do you feel about Coach Sarkisian?

Man, I love Coach Sark. He is the guy for sure. He’s really educated in the game. He’s a good leader to us guys. He knows the plan that he has for this team. He doesn’t care about what other people have to say. He’s gonna do it his way and (the way) that he knows how to do it and that he’s been taught and has the experience how to do it. Coach Sark has been a big help to all of us, for me, especially. I feel that his knowledge of the game and his schemes are if you have the guys they’ll be greatly executed. He’s been really, really good for me, and I just know he’s gonna be great for this team.

How do you feel quarterbacks Casey Thompson and Hudson Card handled everything this year, being in and out of the lineup?

I thought they handled it well. I know sometimes one player would come in and the other player would have to get used to watching or not feel that they’re at their highest potential. But I think they both handled everything pretty well. I know it sucked to kind of switch and not have that guy out there. But Coach Sark was just trying to do the best thing that he could for this team. And things like this come up. You don’t want to play two quarterbacks, because it’s kind of hard for the season. But for what this year had to bring I think that they handled it the best that they could.

How exciting was it to see what Xavier Worthy accomplished this year?

Super exciting. I told X before the season started. “Man, you just got to trust in God and get out there and do what you do. Don’t worry about anything outside, don’t worry about what people have to say, don’t worry about none of that stuff. Just go out there and just ball.” And ever since then he’s had a great season, especially for a freshman. He came in and just did what he had to do, didn’t say a word, just put his head down, worked hard and you see where he’s at right now.

Among yourself, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson, Jonathan Brooks and your position coach, Stan Drayton, how do you feel about your group going into the offseason?

I feel that my group has been really consistent. We’re just a bunch of great guys that just work hard on and off the field. Coach Drayton has always been the centerpiece for all of us. He’s not just a great football coach, but he teaches about life, about what’s going on outside of here and not to just be so stuck up in the football world. I appreciate him a lot. He’s got really good dudes in this room that he doesn’t really have to worry about. We’re just all positive, nice guys that love to work hard and go hard at all times.

Drayton’s name has come up recently for potential consideration for the head coaching job at Temple. If he ended up there, what would that program get in him?

They would get it all. Coach Drayton has been ready for this since he’s been coaching. The experience that he has, how he handles different guys, how he can handle different personalities and different attitudes. I think he’s just the perfect guy for that job. If he did take it, I’ll be sad here. But I just know that he’s more than ready to go. If you want to get a coach, he’s the one to go after for sure.

Last month, you said you don’t have any intentions of transferring and that you’ll stay at Texas. Why, and what makes you confident and optimistic about 2022?

For me. I’m really big on my faith, obviously, and I just know it’s in God’s plan for me to be here and to stay here and to change the culture, change how this team is going to be for next season. I’m just really encouraged, and I just know that we’re trying to do everything we can do this offseason to put it all in and to have a great 2022 season. I just gotta keep faithful and just understand that everything’s gonna be OK.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I mean he may be unemployed soon so.....

He doesn’t need money. He could retire if he wanted to. But word I just heard was that Gary wants to be here and he might work for free just to stay busy and to spite TCU. He covets the Texas job. Not sure Sark would want him here, though. Glasgow would likely come if Gary were ever in charge. Sounds like Gary might be content to come spend a year “helping out” and see what happens. If PK shits the bed again and we hire GP, he’d bring Chad. Again, this is from the TCU side of things. Im sure CDC would love to have Gary here, but I don’t know how Sark and the BMDs would feel about it. I don’t see the admins forcing that on Sark. Gary doesn’t recruit, so I don’t see us burning a coaching position on him. 

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Did you enjoy the muffed punts, our punt getting blocked, ridiculous punt fakes, bringing KOs out to the 18 (then pushed back with penalty) or missed XPs the best?

But yes, unfortunately, our special teams was actually an upgrade from the past decade. 

So you just did the bad there.  We also blocked multiple punts and ran multiple kicks back for TD's, while also being damn near perfect on EP, Figgies, had lots of touchbacks, few big returns against us and generally did well covering punts. 

We might not have been a top 10 unit in the country but I would be surprised if we weren't top 25.  If it came down to just special teams and offense and defense didn't matter we'd have won more games than we lost.  Yeah- it ain't height of Mack Brown awesomeness, but, it's the best it's been since Mack had his fastball and it's trending better, imo.  

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So you just did the bad there.  We also blocked multiple punts and ran multiple kicks back for TD's, while also being damn near perfect on EP, Figgies, had lots of touchbacks, few big returns against us and generally did well covering punts. 

We might not have been a top 10 unit in the country but I would be surprised if we weren't top 25.  If it came down to just special teams and offense and defense didn't matter we'd have won more games than we lost.  Yeah- it ain't height of Mack Brown awesomeness, but, it's the best it's been since Mack had his fastball and it's trending better, imo.  

FIGGIES????

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

FEI ranks Texas as #15 overall

image.png.31cf42ab65476624ddf01ce4ebf7bfa2.png

very bad on kick return efficiency, but very good on punts and somehow even worse on opponents FGs?

Special teams ratings (STR) combine kickoff return, kickoff, punt return, punt, field goal, and opponent field goal efficiency into one overall rating, represented as the team's standard deviation above or below average. Kickoff return efficiency (KRE) is scoring value gained or lost per kickoff return. Kickoff efficiency (KE) is scoring value gained or lost per opponent kickoff return. Punt return efficiency (PRE) is scoring value gained or lost per punt return. Punt efficiency (PE) is scoring value gained or lost per opponent punt return. Field goal efficiency (FGE) and opponent field goal efficiency (OFG) is scoring value gained or lost per field goal attempt. Field position is measured as the average distance from starting field position to end zone on offensive drives (OFP) and opponent offensive drives (DFP); net field position (NFP) is the difference between these values.

SP+ has Texas at #6 Special Teams...team.

12 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Im sure CDC would love to have Gary here, but I don’t know how Sark and the BMDs would feel about it. I don’t see the admins forcing that on Sark. Gary doesn’t recruit, so I don’t see us burning a coaching position on him. 

IMO, hiring GP is drastically different than the fuck up of trying to bring "Casper" Mike Stoops here. I would have no problem, with Patterson being on staff in some capacity. He's much more akin to Mack Brown than Mike Stoops, but with actual expertise on one side of the ball.

Mike Stoops was just a dumb fucking suggestion that has made me question the brain power of anyone who thought that was a passable idea. I'd still like to slap the shit out of someone for that.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I had no idea Hamm is dating some guy from David's services or is it his ex-wife's boyfriend? 

Pretty sure Hamm's ex-wife got the house and the kids because Hamm was an absentee father and a general shitbag.

I would guess he lives in an efficiency apartment these days.

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting