Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

It’s a nice throw arm strength wise but he isn’t going to get away with throwing off his back foot and across his body at the next level. He has the Casey Thompson throwing with almost both feet off the ground mechanics and he’s going to have to change that if he wants to reach his ceiling.

If only we had someone with a good record for developing QB’s

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wishbone said:

If only we had someone with a good record for developing QB’s

Oh for sure. He has the potential to be very good but he’s going to require some work. It’s why people thinking he’s going to be ready to play in the first few years he’s on campus are being unrealistic.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Oh for sure. He has the potential to be very good but he’s going to require some work. It’s why people thinking he’s going to be ready to play in the first few years he’s on campus are being unrealistic.

I don't think anyone thinks that. He isn't going to have a shot at being the starter until '24 anyway which works out well for his development schedule.

7 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Normally I’m one to discredit talk of pay for play or buying recruits, but the fact that a$m has landed and continues to emerge as front runners for multiple 5 star defensive talents, kind of slaps you in the face with just how egregious it really is. Despite a relatively average year from Jimbo, despite not having a DC, and despite the fact that a lot of these guys are OOS with major power 5 schools in their own backyards, yet Aggy is reeling them in.

It’s Ole Miss obvious. Let’s hope the same outcome is coming their direction. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, mvlonghorns said:

It is pretty funny that after the meltdown Williams/Banks committing to Oregon caused, they are both going to end up in our class.

Ohio State is the only school north of OKC that can hold onto Texas commits. Any other school and you just sit on your hands and laugh until the inevitable happens when December rolls around. Stanford too, but you don’t normally see early commits due to the admissions timeline 

Just now, mvlonghorns said:

I don't think anyone thinks that. He isn't going to have a shot at being the starter until '24 anyway which works out well for his development schedule.

I see a lot of people talking about about Malik vs Ewers like that will actually be a thing. Hell, if Casey and Card both bolt and we can’t get a veteran in here, Charles Wright and Ben Ballard are likely the backups next year.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Man I guess we better start looking for a QB who would be ready more quickly. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Jimbob said:

Actually he was looking for about 150k reasons to come here

That doesn’t seem like it should be too terribly hard. 
I know NiL ends the need for this once it actually happens, but man- 150k as a one time thing doesn’t seem that difficult for a 5 star at a position of need. Like- assign that to the exes group in the sort of local geographic area and pass the hat simple. 
When we get it above board it’s just going to demonstrate how we refused to take advantage of our advantages in the interest of compliance and fair play. We will dwarf everyone else in money. 

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't think he signs until they get one or he's really confident in the list they are targeting.

I’ll be surprised if Harris isn’t committed to aggy in the next day or two. He was going to College Station to get his bags in order more than discussing the DC. 

I hope I’m wrong but don’t think I am.  

40 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

A top 5 class with some nice transfers makes this go from looking like a dumpster fire with at least some potential. 

I have no clue if Sark is going to fix this thing but at least now it's not looking nearly as terrible. 

Not to mention the #1, 1.000 guy form ‘22 who reclassified to ‘21 and doesn’t count in this class

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I'm not hating but does he look stiff and slow? Is he too big? Or am I tripping?

If you think he's stiff and slow, you're not going to like the Agbo film.  I think he moves well enough at his size.  He needs to reshape his body in S&C, but he moved very well at a lower weight in earlier film. 

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

If you think he's stiff and slow, you're not going to like the Agbo film.  I think he moves well enough at his size.  He needs to reshape his body in S&C, but he moved very well at a lower weight in earlier film. 

The difference between Herman and Flood preference on the OL is night and day. Herman guys tended to be more athletic and small. Flood is a size queen. Sark wants to run more IZ, so having displacement is more important than quickness.  No idea how it works out, but the OL is going to look a lot different 2 years from now 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Not if they are early enrollees.  Why buy the cow if they enroll in your school first.  

Even then, you shouldn't sign on NSD1.  You can always just show up on the campus of your choice whenever you like. Make their BMDs sweat a little. They'll up the ante.

• Hook 'Em 1

Losing Denver to A&M sucks, but Watts, Brice, and potentially Brooks could help ease the pain. Thing about Harris is that he has the mentality to excel at CB, we need alpha's like that.

edit: Guilibeau is an early enrollee, hopefully he turns some heads too

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

51 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:
The only big recruitments we are currently winning over aggy are for OL. Where we just happen to have a NIL deal in place that's going to pay offensive lineman a substantial amount of money. 
Perroni mentioned that aggy was also trying to get back in it with Campbell so this wasn't just Banks. 
Some of you are terrible at connecting the dots. The moment Texas committed money to a certain position is the moment aggy's bags were neutralized. 

Everyone will have the same or better NIL deal next year, if not before NSD2. The arms race has begun, it's just a matter of who are the USA's who are the USSR's.

Yep, it’s just that easy. They’re all going to whip it right up, real quick-like. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not hating but does he look stiff and slow? Is he too big? Or am I tripping?

I mean, first and foremost he looks bored. Those SLC defenders, even the down linemen, are just no match. Side note - I played OL in HS, we were in SLC’s district my last couple years. They ultimately drilled us because their offense was a machine but I was surprised at how mediocre their DL was. Perhaps the worst in the district. They seem to really funnel all their best big kids to OL.

Anyway, he’s obviously not going to be able to get away with that against power 5 level competition. He may need a couple years of S&C and technique development. But there’s a reason guys like Cristobal, Bedenbaugh, and Flood prioritized him.
  • Hook 'Em 3

It’s a nice throw arm strength wise but he isn’t going to get away with throwing off his back foot and across his body at the next level

It’s almost as if we have discussed this ad nauseam on here, and everywhere else. That is why it’s widely excepted that he won’t be be starting any time soon and that he’s a bit of a project, especially early on. All of the arm talent in the world. A big kid. Needs a mechanical overhaul.

15 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I dont think he looks that bad for a guy his size. Physics are different for guys 350 or so. If we can get a RT starter out of one of Williams or Agbo I will call it a success.

Edited by Vertigo

5 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Wasn't there a video of Williams dunking posted somewhere back in the summer? Can't find it but if I'm remembering right that it was him, I have to think that's pretty impressive for a 360lb guy. 

Yes. But Jaray takes him pretty easily in a dunk contest

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I dont think he looks that bad for a guy his size. Physics are different for guys 350 or so. If we can get a RT starter out of one of Williams or Agbo I will call it a success.

I have hope Williams can stay outside.  He moved well when he was younger. Losing some bad weight may be all he needs.  Agbo almost certainly has to play inside.  Unless losing a lot of weight changes his ability to move dramatically, he'll get destroyed outside. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting