Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I understand that. Doesn’t address my point.

They want to add 7 OL total. Since banks and Neto and cam came onboard in the last week, and including Campbell, that is 7 so no more room for transfer OL. 

staff has made their choice and they chose to bring in 4 year players. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They want to add 7 OL total. Since banks and Neto and cam came onboard in the last week, and including Campbell, that is 7 so no more room for transfer OL. 

staff has made their choice and they chose to bring in 4 year players. 

Considering current state of our OL, I think this was a stupid move. 

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

short term vs. long term dude. They aren't here to go 8-4 like aggy.  They might suck for another year or two, but after that...

Edited by Gil Bang

Just now, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I think it's a risky move but turning down somebody like Neto, Agbo, or Williams for a meh 1 year stop gap seems very short-sighted. 

Maybe these numbers aren't set in stone though and Texas still makes a transfer OL work if the quality justifies making that move. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas probably needs a grad transfer OL but I understand not wanting to pass up on a talented 3 to 4 year player for a meh stop gap type for 1 year. 

I think the decision calculus probably changed once Texas realized they could land this many quality OL in recruiting. 

As long as they can keep QE healthy and give Bijan enough room to work, they don't have to be outstanding in year 1. Better to use the PT on guys who have upside and multiple years in them. Unless a no brainer option presents himself and wants in, the concept of getting a good OT from the portal isn't as guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

As long as they can keep QE healthy and give Bijan enough room to work, they don't have to be outstanding in year 1. Better to use the PT on guys who have upside and multiple years in them. Unless a no brainer option presents himself and wants in, the concept of getting a good OT from the portal isn't as guaranteed.

Yeah, which is why I bet they would still make the numbers work if a legit OT is actually available. 

31 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

short term vs. long term dude. They aren't here to go 8-4 like aggy.  They might suck for another year or two, but after that...

28 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think it's a risky move but turning down somebody like Neto, Agbo, or Williams for a meh 1 year stop gap seems very short-sighted. 

Maybe these numbers aren't set in stone though and Texas still makes a transfer OL work if the quality justifies making that move. 

I’m not talking about turning down studs. We obviously processed recruits this year and took some projects. If we chose some projects over a solid transfer tackle, and possibly a guard, I think it was a stupid move. I hope IT is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’m not talking about turning down studs. We obviously processed recruits this year and took some projects. If we chose some projects over a solid transfer tackle, and possibly a guard, I think it was a stupid move. I hope IT is wrong.

I don’t think Texas took projects on the OL this year. This is the best OL class I can ever remember Texas taking. I understand your concern. I think you can argue either side of the coin on this issue. Bringing in 2 portal OL could add -a couple wins next year. On the other side bringing a huge talented freshmen class might not help much next year, but it sets a foundation for the program’s future. I tend to favor the later, because I don’t think Texas can portal itself to 10+ wins. I am all for mercenaries, if Texas has a playoff chance. I don’t see that happening even if Texas hit 100% on their portal preferences. They should look to replace players that transferred, but I wouldn’t save roster spots at the expense of recruits. 

25 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

Merry Christmas, you surly bastards. Y’all have made these past few weeks a helluva lot of fun. May God bless you with peace, love, and Longhorn success.   And happy holidays to all you non-Christmas surly bastards as well. Mazel Tov, As Salaam Alaikum, etc. 

"Mele Kalikimaka"

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

IT not expecting any transfer OL? I know the staff hasn’t appeared to be in pursuit so far but I it was a given we’d try and grab one or two.

Well month ago, we weren't expected to close with Banks, Williams, and Neto as part of the class. It's pretty obvious you take those 3 over any transfer OL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well month ago, we weren't expected to close with Banks, Williams, and Neto as part of the class. It's pretty obvious you take those 3 over any transfer OL.

Oh yes, because there’s no such thing as a can’t miss highly rated OL… But, those guys weren’t who I was talking about recruiting over and it’s stupid and lazy to even suggest it.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
Trust the corches.

36 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Oh yes, because there’s no such thing as a can’t miss highly rated OL… But, those guys weren’t who I was talking about recruiting over and it’s stupid and lazy to even suggest it.

Are you saying take a transfer OL instead of Savion Red?

What solid transfer OL were available to begin with? I’d take the HS recruits we landed over what I recall being in the portal, but admittedly I didn’t watch it that closely.

I only wish more of these guys were early enrollees, so they could be present during spring practices. As it is the OL room will be pretty bare during that period not giving the DL a lot to practice with.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

That is the point. With no quality offensive line transfers, our ceiling next season is 6 wins. AND, we run the risk of a lot of these young players transferring to a team that doesn't suck.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

It's interesting that Saban is building in room each year to add more players from the transfer portal.  Easier to assess talent after a year or two in CFB and fix mistakes from Bama's high school recruiting and roster losses due to injuries and early NFL opt outs.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

It's interesting that Saban is building in room each year to add more players from the transfer portal.  Easier to assess talent after a year or two in CFB and fix mistakes from Bama's high school recruiting and roster losses due to injuries and early NFL opt outs.

He’s not waiting to see who enters the portal. He’s shopping from who he wants on teams and telling them to transfer to Alabama. He can do that shit.  We don’t have that kind of draw right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s not waiting to see who enters the portal. He’s shopping from who he wants on teams and telling them to transfer to Alabama. He can do that shit.  We don’t have that kind of draw right now. 

Hopefully Texas gets to that point one day -- Watts & Ewers sure seem like situations where UT might have gone shopping??  🤔

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

And the transfers are less likely to transfer again 

I think all 7 of the high school OLs are absolute takes but good luck selling a 6 win season as progress or a bright future 

• Hook 'Em 1

Unless there is a transfer that can come in and be better than Banks and Campbell next year, there is no point in using the portal to address the line. They could always trap door another returning player after the spring which could open up a spot for a transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So you want the coaching staff to not take highly regarded HS OL on the possibility that a good transfer OL may become available at a later date.

Who is saying that?  We have bread and wasted scholarships all over the roster. There’s still probably 30 guys I wouldn’t for 1 second blink at the idea of throwing over for an a an average or slightly above average OL with 1 or 2 years remaining of eligibility. 

• Like 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

Unless there is a transfer that can come in and be better than Banks and Campbell next year, there is no point in using the portal to address the line. They could always trap door another returning player after the spring which could open up a spot for a transfer. 

Banks, Campbell, Williams, and Neto will all get more than 4 games PT next year. Shoot even Agbo, Robertson, and Huston are all guys that have a lot of physical development already. Most of this class is already over 300 coming in, and Robertson, Campbell, Banks, Williams, and Neto were highly productive 6A kids while Hutson was a 5A kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who is saying that?  We have bread and wasted scholarships all over the roster. There’s still probably 30 guys I wouldn’t for 1 second blink at the idea of throwing over for an a an average or slightly above average OL with 1 or 2 years remaining of eligibility. 

You can't remake the entire roster in one offseason. The coaching staff choose to take 7 HS OL, most will be playing next year. Most are coming to Texas with the idea they are going to battle for the 2 deep. There are more pressing concerns on the roster for next season than a portal OL right now. WR, LB, S, and EDGE.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So you want the coaching staff to not take highly regarded HS OL on the possibility that a good transfer OL may become available at a later date.

I definitely think it’s a calculation. Sarkisian’s choice was clearly to build from scratch. Theoretically (hopefully), this season was rock bottom and we’ll build up from here. We’ll see. 

Edited by Tex Pete

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

How many times do I need to state that I’m not talking about replacing the highly rated OL recruits? Fuck, some of you guys are slow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Banking on freshmen (only 1 or 2/7 are EE?) to solve our OL problems makes about as much sense as Sark and Flood looking at their OL room last year and thinking they could make it work without stopgap help until realizing their fuck up 9 months later. 

Nobody in this thread will be as patient with long term development when we’re rolling out the same jags as last year and burning through the eligibility of the best offensive stars we’ve had on campus in over a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Banking on freshmen (only 1 or 2/7 are EE?) to solve our OL problems makes about as much sense as Sark and Flood looking at their OL room last year and thinking they could make it work without stopgap help until realizing their fuck up 9 months later. 

Nobody in this thread will be as patient with long term development when we’re rolling out the same jags as last year and burning through the eligibility of the best offensive stars we’ve had on campus in over a decade. 

Not long ago, transfer OL was the common solution to the problem. Now, we’re rebuilding in year two and everyone is ok with that, perfectly ok with our previous OL and possibly some freshman protecting our savior QB. 

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Not long ago, transfer OL was the common solution to the problem. Now, we’re rebuilding in year two and everyone is ok with that, perfectly ok with our previous OL and possibly some freshman protecting our savior QB. 

Yup. If they don't find a plug and play OL transfer, they are playing with fire. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This won’t be popular, but I don’t think the OL is the biggest problem on the team. They were not bad the last few games. Hoping Banks for Jones can upgrade the LT situation. Improved QB play will go long way to helping the offense. The defense is a much bigger issue. Sark should give his left nut for a competent edge player. That was the biggest issue on the team last year. Safety will be a question wrapped inside an enigma, as 3 of the top 4 are no longer on the team. 

• Like 5

The O-line has been addressed and will be better. Would be nice to get a transfer tackle but would there actually be someone better than Banks? By all accounts most suspect he will be a starter day one. Tackle was without question our biggest issue on the line. At this point the biggest needs are LB, an edge rusher and safety.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

The O-line has been addressed and will be better. Would be nice to get a transfer tackle but would there actually be someone better than Banks? By all accounts most suspect he will be a starter day one. Tackle was without question our biggest issue on the line. At this point the biggest needs are LB, an edge rusher and safety.

Cool. Those are bigger needs than OL. And guess what?  So is WR for sure. And maybe TE. But that doesn’t mean you also shouldn’t get a ready to play OL as well. We don’t have a salary cap. There’s an unlimited number of guys taking up a scholarship that sort of suck.  Just because we have bigger needs doesn’t mean we shouldn’t also fill that one as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting