Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well it's not like the industry is any better at accurately identifying the difference between the 32nd and 33rd best prospects. 

But that does bring up the best argument for the set number - the composite rankings sets. Would be kind of awkward trying to draw the line there given that they would never match the particular service's rankings. 

I wish they would just do away with ESPN and Rvials all together. They're horrible 

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm drinking for the first time in forever watching bowl games, so I'm probably not making sense. Going years without drinking and then drinking Dogfish Head is very relaxing and no fucks are given right now 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I haven't drank in 3 years lol. Now I know why I stopped. Shit is delicious 

these posts are tragic and sad. hang in there, buddy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Florida is going to be a problem on the recruiting trail. That staff can recruit and they have some bagman types too. 

They're already gonna try to buy Mathews and Perkins this cycle. 

Excuse me, I was told that it takes time to set up a working bag program, even when you hire some assistants with baggy histories.

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

41938498_ScreenShot2021-12-30at12_03_36PM.png.96356bf0128f72884d1be1e7b3935dab.png

Ok at first I was going to make a joke on how ESPN was the best recruiting service based on having Campbell at 9, but then I realized he was only the second best IOL per ESPN. Well went to go look expecting the number 1 IOL on ESPN to be either on Alabama or a close second in the other rankings. Well Alabama - but he is barely in the top 50 of 2 of the other 3 services. In conclusion, Fuck ESPN.

image.png.0646e53e9ea23c62167a1b529fc0e872.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ok at first I was going to make a joke on how ESPN was the best recruiting service based on having Campbell at 9, but then I realized he was only the second best IOL per ESPN. Well went to go look expecting the number 1 IOL on ESPN to be either on Alabama or a close second in the other rankings. Well Alabama - but he is barely in the top 50 of 2 of the other 3 services. In conclusion, Fuck ESPN.

image.png.0646e53e9ea23c62167a1b529fc0e872.png

I looked at Tyler Booker and 247 has him as  tackle. It isnt crazy to me to rate him very high as a IOL by ESPN, when others are looking at him as a OT. The difference in opinion may simply be that ESPN if ranking him at his best position.  I have  always wanted Texas to recruit nothing but 1 center and 3 Tackles per class. An OT that doesnt quite have the feet to play tackle, can still end up in the NFL as a guard. A guard with slow feet is worthless and a drain on the program. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ear St regarding WR things:

Spoiler

— As [FCB] reported this morning, the buzz continues to be on Brennan Marion as the next receiver coach at Texas. I wrote last week that if Marion was the guy, it probably wouldn't get sorted out until Pitt plays in their bowl. The Panthers will face Michigan State in the Peach Bowl tonight and we continue to hear an announcement can come after. There's a reason we had Marion's name circled for one of the offensive positions that came open this offseason. While I'm sure Steve Sarkisian has done his due diligence on a hire, Marion's name is the one we've heard the most. If the deal is done, I'll have much more on what he brings to the table as both a recruiter and coach. I'm a big fan of the move as Texas should improve recruiting ability at the wide receiver position.

— I've been playing phone tag with UTEP wide receiver transfer Jacob Cowing. We are supposed to connect at some point, but I don't get a great feeling Texas is heavily involved at the moment. The wide receiver position has been in a holding pattern while staff moves get sorted out. Perhaps something shakes out once Texas makes a move, but Cowing is getting a ton of attention from other schools.

— I checked in with a source near Wyoming transfer wide receiver Isaiah Neyor who Texas just offered. The Longhorns are in a little late on this one, but the relationship between Chris Gilbert and his former head coach at Arlington Lamar Laban DeLay helps some of that. This is another race where the lack of a receiver coach has them a bit behind as there are already relationships growing between TCU, USC and Tennessee with their coaches. Neyor plans to take some visits in January. USC will host him next week and Tennessee will host in mid January. Texas, TCU and Baylor are expected to get trips in early January and Neyor wants to make a decision so he can enroll in the spring.

The post earlier about Saban setting up a player personnel department at Alabama was really eye opening. I had no idea colleges were so backwards as recently as when Saban took over at Alabama. No wonder he’s built a juggernaut there. It also partially explains why Texas is constantly failing to develop top talent. We’ve been getting guys that haven’t been scouted as well in the last twelve years. It will be interesting to see if this Glasscock guy does a better job of evaluating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dummy said:

— I've been playing phone tag with UTEP wide receiver transfer Jacob Cowing. We are supposed to connect at some point, but I don't get a great feeling Texas is heavily involved at the moment. The wide receiver position has been in a holding pattern while staff moves get sorted out. Perhaps something shakes out once Texas makes a move, but Cowing is getting a ton of attention from other schools.

Cowing every time Roach calls

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

SIAP but Roach and Nick Harris are doubling down saying Campbell hasn’t signed. 247 posters are also giving FCB shit for the Bonitto incident in the same thread 

In Roach's defense he has to say that Campbell hasnt signed. He is not very good, but I do respect that I never have to worry about him blowing up a recruitment. I prefer useless (Roach) to a bulging hemorrhoid on the ass of the program (FCB)

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Florida is going to be a problem on the recruiting trail. That staff can recruit and they have some bagman types too. 

They're already gonna try to buy Mathews and Perkins this cycle. 

Good. Them and Miami will be more of problem for the likes of Bama, UGA and Clemson

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Mike Roach being so vociferous, and incorrectly so, about Campbell's recruitment is unbelievable. I know it shouldn't surprise me, but when someone stays that predictably on-brand and lacks the self-awareness when doing so, it never ceases to amaze me.

Unfortunately, in this instance, the guy is just making it blatantly obvious that he's not intelligent, not capable of thinking for himself at all, and is utterly incompetent at his job. He just robotically repeats whatever he's told and then proceeds to get angry when he's called into account for it. 

I've always been amused by EJ Holland's idiotic fucking up of the story about SLX taking him and Roach to dinner, but in all seriousness, based on the way SLX described the whole event, I do wish I could have observed it from the next table over. Mike Roach methodically eating every appetizer on the Applebee's menu while drinking like 10 cokes or teas or whatever, in hindsight, is also amazingly on-brand.

I've never been to an Applebee's and the thought of what that place must be like gives me a headache every time I see their commercials, and I would have probably gone to jail for ultimately beating EJ Holland into a body cast, but it still might have been worth it.

https://youtu.be/G_zuB-ogIBw

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Fucking thing won't embed

For Film junkies -- link to 2 min video on 247

https://247sports.com/Article/shemar-stewart-tyler-booker-justice-finkley-under-armour-football-179405718/

WATCH: Team Icon OL-DL One-on-Ones from Thursday

Team Icon's linemen did not do one-on-ones on the first day of practice, but they got the pads on and did them on day two.  That gave us a good chance to see a talented group in action.

On the offensive line, this group features Tyler Booker (Alabama), Kelvin Banks Jr. (Texas), Drew Shelton (Penn State), Bo Bordelon (LSU), Will Campbell (LSU), and Emery Jones (LSU) as those who participated on Thursday.

The defensive line has Shemar Stewart (uncommitted), Derrick Moore (Michigan), Justice Finkley (Texas), Kenyatta Jackson (Ohio State), Jaray Bledsoe (Texas), Jaheim Oatis (Alabama) as those partcipating on Thursday.

Edited by LTtxfan

Gerry's early UT position projections based on observations at UA practices:

• Banks begins RT, then later moves to LT
  • Neto begins guard, might cross-train OT
  • Campbell guard (not OT due to arm length)
  • BJ Allen at strong safety
  • Finkley at Jack
  • Bledsoe at 3 technique DL

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

Finkley looks like he is going to be a stud. Banks had a real tough day, not sure I can call any of those reps a win for him. 

Gerry said Banks was playing out of position.  He's a LT but never played RT before.  He volunteered since they didnt have anyone playing RT.  Gerry thinks Banks will do a lot better once in the game.

• Hook 'Em 5

51 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Gerry said Banks was playing out of position.  He's a LT but never played RT before.  He volunteered since they didnt have anyone playing RT.  Gerry thinks Banks will do a lot better once in the game.

pretty sure you’re wrong. I’ve been assured by surly that banks is a lock to start as a true freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, futureman said:

christian jones is going to be a better player in 2022 than kelvin banks and some of you need to come to terms with that. 

I refuse to believe this. I’ve broken multiple things this season based on the Christian Jones’ play alone. You take that statement back!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

christian jones is going to be a better player in 2022 than kelvin banks and some of you need to come to terms with that. 

If he can come in and lockdown RT I don’t really give a shit of Jones is better than him at the start of the season. That would mean we would have two adequate tackles to start the season and Campbell plugging in next to Jones at LG. That leaves 2 spots with Majors and Angilau leading in the club house. 

Now if you are implying that Banks is worse that Jones and Jones isn’t good enough to be our RT, much less our LT next year, we are in a world of hurt.

The real question needs to be is Banks the 2nd best OT we have next fall and if not we are going to be fucked at tackle. Hopefully a Spring, offseason and then Fall practices with Flood with raise Jones up to an acceptable floor at OT. If not, we got much bigger issues that 2 FR on the OL, because we probably need to just portal in live bodies on the OL and start over.

8 hours ago, westexhorn said:

None of that video looked like problems with a position switch.  It looked like a kid who needs to get stronger.  Finkley looks like a beast though.  

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

None of that video looked like problems with a position switch.  It looked like a kid who needs to get stronger.  Finkley looks like a beast though.  

Those drills favor DL, especially bullrush. If you look closely and know what to look for you can definitely tell he doesn’t look comfortable on the right side. 

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those drills favor DL, especially bullrush. If you look closely and know what to look for you can definitely tell he doesn’t look comfortable on the right side. 

His OL peers had plenty of wins in a drill that favors the DL. Please enlighten us on what keys to look for that shows he isn't comfortable on the right side. 

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

His OL peers had plenty of wins in a drill that favors the DL. Please enlighten us on what keys to look for that shows he isn't comfortable on the right side. 

None of his peers are playing out of position….just look at his feet and you can tell he’s not. Someone on IT said it best, try wiping your ass with the opposite hand. 

playing a tackle spot you’re facing more speed than from the guard spot. 

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Someone on IT said it best, try wiping your ass with the opposite hand. 

Luckily I've never tried wiping with my opposite hand, but I can imagine that's a proper analogy, especially when it comes to your normal outside pass blocking. You'll probably get into your sets slower, and with much poorer form when you get there. You have to shift your weight to the opposite foot etc... It'll take a lot of reps to get used to.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting