Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Do the players care if their coach/trainer/uncle gets paid?  They will still be payouts for recruits to attend/not attend recruiting functions/make visits I’d expect.  That can be the rent money and according to some on here we do play that part of the game. 

so one question is if the money is now equal, do recruits choose Texas, given our recent history?  I assume that some will, some won’t but it won’t be the lack of money driving them away.

another question is do they see a material difference in say 150k bag money up front plus any NIL you can  get for yourself, vs 50k per year in institutionalized nil money plus all the nil you can get for yourself?  What about if it’s shifted more towards the nil side like 100k per year vs 150k bag?  That should be an easy discussion right?

and lastly, how many schools are going to be willing and able to fund both sides well?  Competitive in nil and also enough bag to tip the scales?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do the players care if their coach/trainer/uncle gets paid?  

The people around these players figure out their value pretty early. There’s a lot of grooming that happens there after. There are way more stories out there of former NFL players going broke from leeching family members than that of Tyron Smith cutting off his mom. 

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“Texas” doesn’t have shit going on with NIL. The Texas alumni base has numerous things going on that will be significant in varying degrees. 

You guys still talking up the notion of parity between the bag game and NIL or, worse, acting as if the bag game will continue to matter more are just flat wrong. It’s too tedious at this point to break down, so I guess, keep handwringing with your delusions. 

There’s a very real probability that Texas will have 6 figure floors per roster spot within the next 2 cycles. Donor resources are finite, especially for other schools. ATM’s now on the hook for paying guys’ handlers PER SEASON. That directly conflicts with donors also then having to pony up for NIL. I know folks here find it rather easy to spend other peoples’ money, but it’s harder for folks to bite both bullets in the future. Also, in many instances, donor contributions to NIL will be tax deductible. Everyone looking at all of this from the handler’s perspective are looking at the future precisely incorrectly. Nobody likes funding those motherfuckers anyway. 

That's kind of why I was interested in what the mechanics of what A&M did this cycle were - do they think they're fucked in the future and had to get all these guys now? They were 7-4 (again), play a coo-magnon offense, and lost their DC. And they're gonna sign 8 5* players or whatever. Offering per-season dollops to the players' handlers is certainly something I didn't consider, and I know CTJ said what they offer D Harris was eye-popping. 

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“Texas” doesn’t have shit going on with NIL. The Texas alumni base has numerous things going on that will be significant in varying degrees. 

You guys still talking up the notion of parity between the bag game and NIL or, worse, acting as if the bag game will continue to matter more are just flat wrong. It’s too tedious at this point to break down, so I guess, keep handwringing with your delusions. 

There’s a very real probability that Texas will have 6 figure floors per roster spot within the next 2 cycles. Donor resources are finite, especially for other schools. ATM’s now on the hook for paying guys’ handlers PER SEASON. That directly conflicts with donors also then having to pony up for NIL. I know folks here find it rather easy to spend other peoples’ money, but it’s harder for folks to bite both bullets in the future. Also, in many instances, donor contributions to NIL will be tax deductible. Everyone looking at all of this from the handler’s perspective are looking at the future precisely incorrectly. Nobody likes funding those motherfuckers anyway. 

Yeah the funny thing about the NIL (to me at least) that very few are talking about is it transfers tax liability from the bag man to the athlete. 
currently, bag men are spending post tax money to give recruits under the table money that they won’t be paying taxes on. In the new world the donors will be spending pre- tax money and the recruits will be paying Uncle Sam. 
brilliant!  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingPresidential said:

That's kind of why I was interested in what the mechanics of what A&M did this cycle were - do they think they're fucked in the future and had to get all these guys now? 

Yes.

But I do believe the balance of college football power will skew back to Texas and aggy in the next few years as alumni-funded NIL becomes more pervasive. A&M will have to shift toward NIL to stay competitive for recruits, and they have the alumni base and dollars to do it. Texas, aggy, and a very small handful of other schools have the alumni base, dollars, and appetite to be the leaders for NIL. As CTJ and others have stated, ou and many SEC schools are freaking out because they know their days are numbered. Georgia might get Caleb Williams for 1-2M, but they don't have the money to pay for every roster spot like Texas does. So yeah, aggy is paying out big bags now to try and win soon, because they know that they are waaaay behind when it comes to pulling together an NIL plan like we have through CFC, HWH, and others to come. Building alumni-funded NIL doesn't happen overnight. Thanks again to the visionaries here and beyond for putting Texas on the cutting edge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

I want to know what the total cost of the class was. O/U $5 million? 

Past numbers I have seen were:

$80k for Waddle

$300k offered to Gary

I’ve played this game in my head. It’s all speculation and rumors, but I think it’s well north of 3 million. The money for Stewart and Nolan alone is 1mm. Harris got money, Dindey got a church for his dad built. 5mm isn’t crazy talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Nolan's bag was insane. 

The Bama mods were laughing at how much he was offered and apparently the dad is not shy to tell everyone about it. 

Shit like this is where I laugh the most about the stupidity of parents and their inability to really understand the risk involved. I get taking the $$ (to a point), but to be brazen enough in this day and age to brag about it is opening up yourself as a target for no good reason.

Back in the day, everyone was willing to keep their mouths shut (mostly) and even if someone did pop off, it was local legend that really didn’t have an outlet to become “news” Now everything reverberates through the internet echo chamber and everything tied to the business of sport is considered newsworthy.

Keep this up and at some point some high and mighty feeling former D2 or D3 athlete that is at a position of power in the IRS is going to start auditing parents over this. Once they hit on one, it becomes a pattern of abuse and then they can go after an entire teams class over 5 years.

We just got done seeing the FBI wiretap college basketball coaches and place a sting around buying admission for students to high profile schools by the elite. You don’t think that using the IRS to investigate student athletes and their families is now consider out of bounds? 

NIL is really interesting in this regards because it gives those in power a justification of why they are going after it now, when it’s always been there. They can claim that we let these things slide (much like tax evasion and it’s implications to the marijuana dispensaries and growers) because there wasn’t a legal mechanism in place to pay these kids. Now since there is, it’s not like we are taking $$ out of there pockets, just ensuring Uncle Sam gets his cut…

• Hook 'Em 4

No matter how much aggy paid, we can all rest easy knowing they'll fuck it up and continue to be Texas Average and Mediocre. They're literally too stupid and shitty to do anything with the talent they bought. Jimbo is a shitty HC, and they were still average with Elko, who's now gone. It sucks because teams who have actually won championships could have used those kids, but oh well. They can go be 8-4 in BCS. Kids are stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Those motherfuckers like it a lot, though. I don't see them going quietly into that good night, and remaining gatekeepers whenever they can. They got good at this.

Not arguing against any of the points you're making, just pointing out that there'll be resistance for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Shit like this is where I laugh the most about the stupidity of parents and their inability to really understand the risk involved. I get taking the $$ (to a point), but to be brazen enough in this day and age to brag about it is opening up yourself as a target for no good reason.

Back in the day, everyone was willing to keep their mouths shut (mostly) and even if someone did pop off, it was local legend that really didn’t have an outlet to become “news” Now everything reverberates through the internet echo chamber and everything tied to the business of sport is considered newsworthy.

Keep this up and at some point some high and mighty feeling former D2 or D3 athlete that is at a position of power in the IRS is going to start auditing parents over this. Once they hit on one, it becomes a pattern of abuse and then they can go after an entire teams class over 5 years.

We just got done seeing the FBI wiretap college basketball coaches and place a sting around buying admission for students to high profile schools by the elite. You don’t think that using the IRS to investigate student athletes and their families is now consider out of bounds? 

NIL is really interesting in this regards because it gives those in power a justification of why they are going after it now, when it’s always been there. They can claim that we let these things slide (much like tax evasion and it’s implications to the marijuana dispensaries and growers) because there wasn’t a legal mechanism in place to pay these kids. Now since there is, it’s not like we are taking $$ out of there pockets, just ensuring Uncle Sam gets his cut…

I mean, this is wishful thinking.

I LIKE it, but it's wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

Evan Stewart resorts to shitty body language when things don’t go his way.

Don’t see him lasting at aggy. Looks pissed everytime he doesn’t get the ball, so I’m not sure how he’s gonna handle getting it 10 times a year. Chris Marshall looks good though

My 1H observations:

Banks gave up a sack where the DE looked offsides (if not, absolutely perfect jump. Hard to blame him either way). Seems like he’s played the whole game at RT. 1-2 other pressures but otherwise has been stonewalling. 

Neto seems to be struggling a bit at LT.

Saw one pressure on Devon, haven’t really noticed either way otherwise. 

Hard to tell when other guys are in. Finkley had an early win where Zach Rice pulled his helmet off for a penalty. 

For the Ags - Weigman looks good, Bobby Taylor bad, Marshall pretty good, and as mentioned zilch from Stewart so far

Luther Burden and some Clemson DB prob MVPs so far

9 minutes ago, ousux said:
13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:
aggy gonna have to keep giving Stewart more money to keep him happy with 5 catches a year. 

Jimbo is getting his first real QB coming in, maybe he blows the dust off his ancient playbook and opens it up a bit?

Mond was a 3rd round pick and he still didn't change the playbook. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting