Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

49 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So we've established there's a problem with NIL. Not much most of us here can do around UT being asses around the color/logo/compliance. But anyone can still help with the broader NIL impact so what are you whiny bitches gonna do about it? We've got a whole separate forum for NIL ideas and it's basically a ghost town.

"what are you whiny bitches gonna do about it?" is such shitty take when it comes to things like this. We're looking at a new landscape and infrastructure needs to be built from scratch to support it,  without a clear value proposition for those who actually forge ahead and put the work in to try to build it. It's the fucking Cincinnatus Paradigm and it is thankless and riddled with personal and community risk that could last forever.

Creating things out of the ether is fucking hard even when you can see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but in this instance, it's not obvious that there's anything beneficial to those who put in the work other than: a fight with the existing regime; judgmental shittalking from the assholes on the Internet who will never be pleased; and a slap on the back by a few folks who actually get it but didn't doing anything to bring it about themselves. 

So yeah, let's all fucking get to it. Seems productive. I saw enough on that NIL thread in a couple of days to be reminded of why the juice isn't worth the squeeze here. There are some worthless shitheads around here who will legitimately do what they can to fuck up anyone else's life who deign to put themselves out there for some version of a greater good.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s probably bullshit, but we actually should do it.   I mean, most of us were alive and saw what happened to football, basketball and recruiting when we finally ditched the sinking ship of the SWC and upgraded to the Big 12.   Now the Big 12 is the sinking ship with crappy regional programs that nobody cares about.  

“But playing in the Big 12 against those crappy schools should make it even easier for Texas to dominate” - yeah, just like building your mansion in the shitty trailer park will only accentuate how awesome it is and lead to long term appreciation in value.

I almost want us to do it just to piss of aggy.  Do it for the lulz.  Texas would be forced to cheat too.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are some worthless shitheads around here who will legitimately do what they can to fuck up anyone else's life who deign to put themselves out there for some version of a greater good.

Depressing, but not surprising. Good effort anyway.

Highest NIL = Best Recruits = Wins

Highest NIL = Wealthiest People/Businesses x Highest Self Interest in a University

translation  - whoever has the most money AND the highest motivation to spend it with athletes of a particular university will make that university the winner. This formula is only marginally related to the universities today with the highest revenues for sports, hence why Miami, Oregon or other smaller revenue schools could end up on top at the end of this whole realignment. Unlikely but possible  Harvard could become Alabama if they want to  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me tell you something, when Golfclap sees these guys running sand his Bennie Wylie/Torre Becton rage is going to make his Stan Drayton rage look like fucking molehill. 

Dude's over here building sand castles when he should be out on the recruiting trail. 4th tier.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Big Woodrows has the timeline covered. aggy leaked it bc they're scared. Why do you think Bjork had quotes at the ready?

It's aggy. Bjork's statement took minimal preparation. Zwerneman is a disingenuous "journalist". He was the same guy pushing the Charlie Strong infidelity narrative even though it was never proven. For all we know this is the $-E-C kicking the tires on the school and the discussion hasn't been susbtantial.

Aggy might have leaked it, but deep down inside they know they have absolutely no leverage. If it's absolutely true that it's Texas and OU to the $-E-C, then aggy would be left 4th in region (behind OU, LSU, and Texas).

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s amazing how fucking antiquated, shitty, and inept our athletic department is

Fucking this.  We've been bitching about schools paying players and now when you can legally do so... our fucking school still is inept.  The minute monetizing NIL was legal, our damn athletic department should have had deals ready to do for big figures for our players and to show recruits that you can come to Texas to make some fucking money.  Instead, we simply had our media department put out a bunch of fucking graphics and jack shit has been done.  Meanwhile, Saban is telling recruits his QB is getting 7 figures in NIL and Oregon is paying 100k directly to one of their players.

I'm fucking sick of how shitty our athletic department is.  I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it's not the coaches we cycle through here, but instead the fucking idiots running the AD.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

So we've established there's a problem with NIL. Not much most of us here can do around UT being asses around the color/logo/compliance. But anyone can still help with the broader NIL impact so what are you whiny bitches gonna do about it? We've got a whole separate forum for NIL ideas and it's basically a ghost town.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Just a recruiting related note to the SEC talk. A&M would like nothing better than to see the SEC pick up OU and not Texas, cementing their position in Texas in recruiting over Texas. If the talks get serious, be on the lookout for them to try and drive a wedge between OU and Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just a recruiting related note to the SEC talk. A&M would like nothing better than to see the SEC pick up OU and not Texas, cementing their position in Texas in recruiting over Texas. If the talks get serious, be on the lookout for them to try and drive a wedge between OU and Texas. 

This time for sure says Bullwinkle.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"what are you whiny bitches gonna do about it?" is such shitty take when it comes to things like this. We're looking at a new landscape and infrastructure needs to be built from scratch to support it,  without a clear value proposition for those who actually forge ahead and put the work in to try to build it. It's the fucking Cincinnatus Paradigm and it is thankless and riddled with personal and community risk that could last forever.

Creating things out of the ether is fucking hard even when you can see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but in this instance, it's not obvious that there's anything beneficial to those who put in the work other than: a fight with the existing regime; judgmental shittalking from the assholes on the Internet who will never be pleased; and a slap on the back by a few folks who actually get it but didn't doing anything to bring it about themselves. 

So yeah, let's all fucking get to it. Seems productive. I saw enough on that NIL thread in a couple of days to be reminded of why the juice isn't worth the squeeze here. There are some worthless shitheads around here who will legitimately do what they can to fuck up anyone else's life who deign to put themselves out there for some version of a greater good.

Yep. I was gung-ho to put in scores of hours of free labor as well as money out of my own pocket, just to try to figure out a way to take advantage of the opportunity NIL has provided to help level the playing field for Texas against the bag-game and make our football team better. Instead, everyone else on the same wavelength was basically told "Hey assholes, stop trying to make the football team better. What NIL is really about is getting a dude on our podcast or to a happy hour."

It was rather disheartening and so I just said "Fuck it". 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can say this with confidence, nobody in the SEC gives a shit what A&M wants. They only brought them on board to get enough TV market for the SEC network and to open the Texas recruiting grounds. They will be told to sit their asses in the corner and let the adults speak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

It's pretty funny that today while this board has been hammering CDC for not having the stomach to compete on an elite level in cfb the story breaks that he's (reportedly) been been operating in silence on a plan to move Texas to the SEC. 

Would it really be CDC himself doing that?

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some folks aren't as far as away from elements of the program or recruiting as you are. It's a free world and obviously your option to buy-in or ignore whatever you like, but what is the purpose of your question? Is it to identify whether or not you think people are just making shit up or projecting? This isn't science. It's people and politics. Shit changes, perceptions of same conversations can differ, people lie, people buy, etc. That's recruiting, that's internal dynamics in a fucking bloated AD and long mediocre giant football program. You guys that read this stuff and go in the direction of taking it all as etched in stone and then get angry and want to mock shit when, gasp!, a recruitment got twisted, are an odd lot. I usually just assume y'all have never managed people. 

The recruiting and analyst support staff is underwhelming. Not you, or anyone else, can present a credible argument to counter that based on the resumes and history of those involved. The Glasscock guy was an uninspired choice after Sarkisian's first plan got nixed by compliance. Searels is actively disappointing the staff. Brandon Harris isn't connecting with recruits and he's not engaged in it at the expectations set for that position. There's a very good chance that all or 2 of those people are fired before the calendar year ends if Sarkisian has the chops for the role and can admit personnel mistakes quickly. 

As to the other issues, like the S&C outlook and football analyst staff, I differ strongly with golfclap's ongoing frothy mouthed rants. 

Somebody's manager seems a little sensitive today. Nothing in my post was angry nor was I mocking insiders. They are salesman and they're selling the perception that they know shit. I'm sure some do and others don't. If they're good, we can't tell one from the other. If they're really good we don't care. 

Our support staff may completely suck. CDC may be awful. I have no idea. So you're right, I can't present a credible argument to counter that. But here's the thing - you haven't made a credible argument that supports it. I believe that's called an "argument from ignorance." Two months ago, Texas had momentum, recruits loved us, and we were gettin errbody! I don't recall seeing stories about the support staff then. Fast forward a couple of months, 9.95ers get a string of recruits wrong and now Glasscock is an uninspired choice and Searels is disappointing and Brandon Harris isn't connecting with recruits. The accusations are vague, yet have a very specific target like CDC or Glasscock. The information isn't really measurable or meaningful, but sounds plausible and reinforces the idea that the author really is tied into the program and recruiting. 

Does the support staff suck? Maybe. But I haven't seen anything that supports a conclusion either way that doesn't amount to, "Trust me because I know things and all those things I was wrong about... hey look, there's a squirrel!"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It's pretty funny that today while this board has been hammering CDC for not having the stomach to compete on an elite level in cfb the story breaks that he's (reportedly) been been operating in silence on a plan to move Texas to the SEC. 

I just want Sydney to update his Netflix, Redbox, and AMC analogy for every new piece of information.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Somebody's manager seems a little sensitive today. Nothing in my post was angry nor was I mocking insiders. They are salesman and they're selling the perception that they know shit. I'm sure some do and others don't. If they're good, we can't tell one from the other. If they're really good we don't care. 

Our support staff may completely suck. CDC may be awful. I have no idea. So you're right, I can't present a credible argument to counter that. But here's the thing - you haven't made a credible argument that supports it. I believe that's called an "argument from ignorance." Two months ago, Texas had momentum, recruits loved us, and we were gettin errbody! I don't recall seeing stories about the support staff then. Fast forward a couple of months, 9.95ers get a string of recruits wrong and now Glasscock is an uninspired choice and Searels is disappointing and Brandon Harris isn't connecting with recruits. The accusations are vague, yet have a very specific target like CDC or Glasscock. The information isn't really measurable or meaningful, but sounds plausible and reinforces the idea that the author really is tied into the program and recruiting. 

Does the support staff suck? Maybe. But I haven't seen anything that supports a conclusion either way that doesn't amount to, "Trust me because I know things and all those things I was wrong about... hey look, there's a squirrel!"

This post reads like there's flip-flopping all over the board. Like we're actively lauding the job of the support/recruiting staff and CDC only to reverse course when we miss on NIL/a recruit/anything, and that's just not true. All you've done is speak to your own ignorance to what happens here. Go back to the football board.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And it would likely include something to do with third tier rights/longhorn network.  

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting