Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is this your first time interacting with a Reese Bennett post, then? He once made a demand on the football board that people stop referring to offensive linemen as "big uglies" or stereotyping them as less than intelligent, and he meant it. 

Wait, that wasn't a joke?

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is this your first time interacting with a Reese Bennett post, then? He once made a demand on the football board that people stop referring to offensive linemen as "big uglies" or stereotyping them as less than intelligent, and he meant it. 

offensive linemen are the smartest players on the field. that’s been evaluated by science and proven. not up for debate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Our basketball team hasn't won jack shit and Beard has already shown that he can compete for recruits against Duke, Kansas, NC, and Kentucky. Why is football any different?

Beard took a basketball doormat to the national title game and almost won as the head coach of the program. I assume you can see the difference between what he can claim and what Sarkisian can claim. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Only 7 schools can claim a title more recent than Texas’. Not that it refutes the rest of your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. Now look at who we're recruiting against. And how old the current recruits were for that game.

1 minute ago, Bob Lives! said:

Only 7 schools can claim a title more recent than Texas’. Not that it refutes the rest of your point.

Right, however I don’t think that refutes even the national title point. A player being recruited to sign in the 2022 class was 1, 2, or 3 years of age when Vince Young strode across the goal line on 4th and 5. That title means nothing to them in regard to evaluating the current program or staff. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Right, however I don’t think that refutes even the national title point. A player being recruited to sign in the 2022 class was 1, 2, or 3 years of age when Vince Young strode across the goal line on 4th and 5. That title means nothing to them in regard to evaluating the current program or staff. 

We’ve only had 2 conference titles since 2000, 4 since 1985 or so. We’re a middling program who got lucky in the mid 2000s. I’d assume this is mainly due to our dog shit athletic department and their antiquated views on college football and the evolving game, players, and platform. 

8 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Meyer was the only guy that could’ve swung it back our direction based on reputation alone. Sark is going to have to win because he’s not elite as a recruiter. Luckily for him he’s in a dog shit conference.

Actually really impressive how you structured this post so that each sentence was more wrong than the previous one

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Actually really impressive how you structured this post so that each sentence was more wrong than the previous one

You seem really smart, so why don’t you educate us on the error in his ways and what the set of facts you’re working with actually tells us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ve only had 2 conference titles since 2000, 4 since 1985 or so. We’re a middling program who got lucky in the mid 2000s. I’d assume this is mainly due to our dog shit athletic department and their antiquated views on college football and the evolving game, players, and platform. 

6 since ‘85. But yeah, that’s weak.

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our athletic program cares about 1 thing only

52 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Sure but What also works against Sark is the last two guys came in pitching how things are about to change.  Not His fault but it’s his reality.  Also all of the basketball players were guaranteed pt.  Not many incumbents left over to fight with

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Sure but What also works against Sark is the last two guys came in pitching how things are about to change.  Not His fault but it’s his reality.  Also all of the basketball players were guaranteed pt.  Not many incumbents left over to fight with

To be fair Herman did better than the guy before him

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2021 at 1:04 PM, NoName said:

taking the opportunity shout out to @RGBIII, @closetojumping ,@immamac and i assume the actual writer of the tweet below @SydneyCarton for reminding me of the gold in this account on the last podcast.

more funny stuff spoilered below

Hide contents

hamburgled!!!

christ, i'm still laughing at hamburgled.

Someone doesn't listen to the podcast 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Well thanks a lot for making me feel old today.

Regarding the draft, Sark can credibly claim that he basically turned a 3-star schlub into the #15 overall pick this year. Matter of fact, our HC/OC/OL coach combo had 5 first round picks this year, plus a high second. It's been beaten to death in this thread how unfortunately "coaching staff X puts players in the league" doesn't resonate as much as "Program Y puts players in the league". But isn't it the job of good recruiters to hammer the shit out of that misconception?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

NIL is playing a role already with recruiting, as we expected. Saban straight up made up the shit about Young today. He has no fucking clue what that player stands to make, largely because no one does, and he damned sure hasn’t seen evidence of material deals for the player. People at Bama literally laughed today hearing that shit. But, hey, he’s Nick Saban and he can do what he wants. 

As to others, Jamison needs to make some fucking money this fall, because Harris is watching. The math for Evan Stewart has changed. Guys like Worthy need to see legit value or they’ll go somewhere in which they can get it. 

Meanwhile, Del Conte is a damned road block trying to protect a fiefdom via compliance fiat.  He’s about to lose on that front, albeit not probably in public. 

I still have it this way:

Texas gets:

-Campbell 

-Anderson (he’s waiting to see something, I guess, or he’d have already gone public. I’m sticking with Texas and for good reason. 

-Harris (because his mother ultimately wants him close, not because he picks Texas over Bama)

-Patton

-Brown

I guess I’ll call the rest a continued crapshoot and everything ahead of the program for this class is going to be driven by the fall performance. People coming back with the trope that “winning this year won’t matter for this class” aren’t paying attention to the here and now and the dynamics of the past 18 months for both the world and UT football. 

What do you mean by the math for Evan Stewart has changed? 

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are the surly couturiers okay with Ricky's fashion statement?

I'm sure you're fully aware that Ricky gets a pass on everything short of committing a heinous crime.  That also include the hobo beard while trying to dress like OutKast.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It's gunna take Sark winning as big as can be expected his first couple of years, and unfortunately some crazy disgusting funky assed alternate unis to bring these kids in. I mean, we're in a dogfight with Baylor over here. FUCKING BAYLOR!

You know what could alleviate some of that pressure. Underground NIL deals but alas here we are 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s amazing how fucking antiquated, shitty, and inept our athletic department is

I shouldn’t be surprised. It’s how it’s always been, but I really thought they’d actually use this as a way to compete with all the dirty programs. Instead, we’ve made it just one more avenue for falling behind. 

Compliance is shooting down contracts, our AD is doing nothing to help broker deals or setup ways for boosters to get involved, and the school refuses to let players use any Texas IP, including the color burnt orange. Jerseys sales was one of the primary legitimate pushes for NIL and we refuse to do it for no good reason. Unfucking real. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I shouldn’t be surprised. It’s how it’s always been, but I really thought they’d actually use this as a way to compete with all the dirty programs. Instead, we’ve made it just one more avenue for falling behind. 

Compliance is shooting down contracts, our AD is doing nothing to help broker deals or setup ways for boosters to get involved, and the school refuses to let players use any Texas IP, including the color burnt orange. Jerseys sales was one of the primary legitimate pushes for NIL and we refuse to do it for no good reason. Unfucking real. 

Excuse me Burt, these kids are getting a free education from the University of Texas at Austin. If anything they should be grateful to the AD and our boosters for giving them the opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tokamak said:

Well thanks a lot for making me feel old today.

Regarding the draft, Sark can credibly claim that he basically turned a 3-star schlub into the #15 overall pick this year. Matter of fact, our HC/OC/OL coach combo had 5 first round picks this year, plus a high second. It's been beaten to death in this thread how unfortunately "coaching staff X puts players in the league" doesn't resonate as much as "Program Y puts players in the league". But isn't it the job of good recruiters to hammer the shit out of that misconception?

Part of the issue is that it's not just a position coach that develops the player. 

The S&C coach (as well as the training staff and the dietician,(s)) is a huge component to long term development and Sark hired a third tier S&C guy. There's not a modern and multi-faceted approach to full body flexibility and explosive power nor any cutting edge analytics that tailor not only the S&C workouts but more importantly full body recovery that is specific to each player and position group, as well as optimum recovery from nagging minor injuries. The gap between where other schools (specifically Bama, Clemson, tOSU, Oregon) are with S&C and Texas is with Torre Becton is a vast chasm. It's a FAR bigger gap than the gap Sark vs. other QB developers on those staffs would have as an advantage. Similarly, Sarkisian hasn't added former HC/OC/DCs to any of the support roles to speak of, much less an army of them. At Texas there aren't former HC/OC/DCs grading each days position group film, looking for things to work on in the next practice/tells that give away assignments, or grading the effort and drills of those position coaches and their army of assistants coaching along (regardless of the rules). Nor are you going against an entire defense of NFL talent for every rep. For 5 years. Even when it's 3s vs 3s. 

If you ask all of the players, the trainers, the high school and 7v7 coaches if they think the recruit will be developed at Alabama, independent of who their position coach is or will be, they will unequivocally say "yes", because that has proven to be true. No matter the position coach. No matter the position. The system is in place. If you ask even just QBs if they will be developed at Texas under Sarkisian you won't have unanimity and you'll have more than a few tell you that they aren't sure he'll even be the HC by the time this 2022 class finishes. You'll get the same Alabama-type responses at Clemson and tOSU. Beyond those schools it drops to a more position-by-position basis for other schools (like OU, UGa, etc)  and you see the clearly defined gap between the top 3 and everyone else. 

The reality is that Sarkisian is a mediocre head coach taking over a program mired in mediocrity. He's done nothing but make mediocre choices for his recruiting and support staff. All while ALL the other schools have preached since Sark's hire that this is Texas doing "more of the same" -- being mediocre. You can't counter the "more of the same" messaging from EVERY OTHER SCHOOL with "We did X at Bama and developed Player Y" because all of these recruits/trainers/parents/coaches have seen an army of coaches go from Bama say excatly that and do exactly fuckall at their new jobs. So you have do it by showing them that you have changed not only what you've done in the past that was decidedly mediocre (nope) but how the entire org works from the top down to be on par with those top 3 schools. (nope). 

It's not as easy as saying I coached Mac Jones or Alex Leatherwood - because ___________ (insert 30 coaches who have come and gone) coached ______________ (insert 70 names from Alabama since 2011 when Saban's recruiting classes started hitting the draft like a fucking hammer). Sarkisian and his staff will have to prove that development travels with them because the messaging has been countered by every single school in the country using the "more of the same" messaging against Texas. 

Sarksian is going all-in on scheme and preparation. If he succeeds he will be able to quickly sell this staff's ability to scheme, develop, and identify talent and it will resonate. He will be able to flip some guys and really hammer the 2023 class.  If he loses 3 or more games that all-in approach will net him a pink slip before he ever really gets going because the 2022 and 2023 classes will be marginal and we will be doing this dance again in 3-4 years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Part of the issue is that it's not just a position coach that develops the player. 

The S&C coach (as well as the training staff and the dietician,(s)) is a huge component to long term development and Sark hired a third tier S&C guy. There's not a modern and multi-faceted approach to full body flexibility and explosive power nor any cutting edge analytics that tailor not only the S&C workouts but more importantly full body recovery that is specific to each player and position group, as well as optimum recovery from nagging minor injuries. The gap between where other schools (specifically Bama, Clemson, tOSU, Oregon) are with S&C and Texas is with Torre Becton is a vast chasm. It's a FAR bigger gap than the gap Sark vs. other QB developers on those staffs would have as an advantage. Similarly, Sarkisian hasn't added former HC/OC/DCs to any of the support roles to speak of, much less an army of them. At Texas there aren't former HC/OC/DCs grading each days position group film, looking for things to work on in the next practice/tells that give away assignments, or grading the effort and drills of those position coaches and their army of assistants coaching along (regardless of the rules). Nor are you going against an entire defense of NFL talent for every rep. For 5 years. Even when it's 3s vs 3s. 

If you ask all of the players, the trainers, the high school and 7v7 coaches if they think the recruit will be developed at Alabama, independent of who their position coach is or will be, they will unequivocally say "yes", because that has proven to be true. No matter the position coach. No matter the position. The system is in place. If you ask even just QBs if they will be developed at Texas under Sarkisian you won't have unanimity and you'll have more than a few tell you that they aren't sure he'll even be the HC by the time this 2022 class finishes. You'll get the same Alabama-type responses at Clemson and tOSU. Beyond those schools it drops to a more position-by-position basis for other schools (like OU, UGa, etc)  and you see the clearly defined gap between the top 3 and everyone else. 

The reality is that Sarkisian is a mediocre head coach taking over a program mired in mediocrity. He's done nothing but make mediocre choices for his recruiting and support staff. All while ALL the other schools have preached since Sark's hire that this is Texas doing "more of the same" -- being mediocre. You can't counter the "more of the same" messaging from EVERY OTHER SCHOOL with "We did X at Bama and developed Player Y" because all of these recruits/trainers/parents/coaches have seen an army of coaches go from Bama say excatly that and do exactly fuckall at their new jobs. So you have do it by showing them that you have changed not only what you've done in the past that was decidedly mediocre (nope) but how the entire org works from the top down to be on par with those top 3 schools. (nope). 

It's not as easy as saying I coached Mac Jones or Alex Leatherwood - because ___________ (insert 30 coaches who have come and gone) coached ______________ (insert 70 names from Alabama since 2011 when Saban's recruiting classes started hitting the draft like a fucking hammer). Sarkisian and his staff will have to prove that development travels with them because the messaging has been countered by every single school in the country using the "more of the same" messaging against Texas. 

Sarksian is going all-in on scheme and preparation. If he succeeds he will be able to quickly sell this staff's ability to scheme, develop, and identify talent and it will resonate. He will be able to flip some guys and really hammer the 2023 class.  If he loses 3 or more games that all-in approach will net him a pink slip before he ever really gets going because the 2022 and 2023 classes will be marginal and we will be doing this dance again in 3-4 years.

This is hilarious

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Well he did hire a good coaching staff. So there's that at least. Scheme and preparation should be good, like you allude to.

The support staff is a big leaky balloon. That needs to get fixed.

12 hours ago, tokamak said:

Agree that our staff should be able to fight the draft knock. Sark, Flood, and PK all have excellent draft records. PK did it with a bunch of 3 stars. Joseph, Drayton, and Davis all solid too. Like you said, they need to counter the assertion that logos develop players instead of coaches.

In fact, this could be a selling point compared to many schools, including Aggy. Aggy has had a worse draft record than us since Jimbo arrived. Elko, Henson, Rushing, etc have much worse career draft records than their UT counterparts.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting