Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton

Senior National Recruiting Analyst On3.com

Texas July 30 visitor list

Kind of weak list imo. Other than the 3 near-term decisions, only big names are big long shots. Hopefully Brenen makes it and Denver gets added. Need more commits on there too.

Also is he implying Bryce, Brown, or Patton could commit somewhere before then? Maybe just poorly worded but makes it sound like eyes are on those guys in terms of adjusting status.

38 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Kind of weak list imo. Other than the 3 near-term decisions, only big names are big long shots. Hopefully Brenen makes it and Denver gets added. Need more commits on there too.

Also is he implying Bryce, Brown, or Patton could commit somewhere before then? Maybe just poorly worded but makes it sound like eyes are on those guys in terms of adjusting status.

My take is it sounds like coaches invitee the specifics and to make a huge play for all. For the guys you listed. I think I read elsewhere that Denver will be in the 29-30th… can’t recall where I saw it, maybe here. 

but yeah having Harris, Perkins, Anderson, and dewberry all in together with The duncanville kid seems like strategy to me 

They confirmed Harris will be in town down in the thread. Just forgot to add him. So here is their updated list….

seems like we’re looking to hit home runs with the specific guest invited. 

Commits:
OL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Frisco, TX)
OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX)
S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo (Aledo, TX)
DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX)
DT Kristopher Ross (North Shore, TX)

2022:
DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX)
CB Denver Harris (North Shore, TX) 
LB Harold Perkins Cy-Park (Cypress, TX)
OT Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX)
DL Omari Abor. Duncanville (Duncanville, TX)
EDGE/LB Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX)
LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX)
LB K’von Sherman, Pearland (Pearland, TX)

Maybe: 
WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX)

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My take is it sounds like coaches invitee the specifics and to make a huge play for all. For the guys you listed. I think I read elsewhere that Denver will be in the 29-30th… can’t recall where I saw it, maybe here. 

but yeah having Harris, Perkins, Anderson, and dewberry all in together with The duncanville kid seems like strategy to me 

Maybe so. I'm sure they're trying to get those others in too but obviously can't control everything. The strangest part to me is the lack of commits on the list. Seems like you'd want them around to help recruit. Wouldn't expect the out of state guys but

I remember seeing something like that about Denver but think it was still a maybe. He seems like a guy where no one will know for sure until he shows or not.

Gerry - Denver Harris Interview 

Denver Harris talks recruiting 
One of the top targets on the board for the Texas Longhorns is five-star cornerback Denver Harris (North Shore).

The 6-foot, 180-pound playmaker that attacks the game with intelligence is back on the practice field at North Shore taking part in workouts.

While Harris is itching to get back on the field at full speed at some point this season for the Mustangs, he’s also coming to the conclusion of the recruiting process with a decision likely in September.

After North Shore wrapped up a two hour workout, Harris sat down with Inside Texas to give his thoughts on the contenders.

Inside Texas: Where are you at in the recruiting process?

Denver Harris: “I went to LSU and Texas first,” said Harris. “I was going to do a Texas A&M official, but I just something in my head telling me to make it unofficial. Then I went to Alabama. I was going to try and squeeze in other schools like Georgia and Ohio State during the season, but I don’t know if they are messing with me still,”

IT: What are your thoughts on LSU?

DH: I like Coach O. I like Coach Raymond. That’s the biggest part of the deal for LSU. I don’t want to leave Raymond, but I got to do what I got to do at the end of the day.

IT: What are your thoughts on Texas?

DH: I like the environment. Everyone loves Austin. What is there to not love about Austin? I like the coaches. I like Coach Sark and what they are building up over there. I wish I could see a whole season. Or two years to sit back and watch the program. If I go there, it would kind of be like going in blind.

IT: What are your thoughts on Alabama?

DH: I like Bama. Saban. Coach Saban and I have built a really good relationship. We talk on FaceTime every week. Coach Valai, we talk with him. My family. My mom, my dad and stuff. He’s a really cool guy.

IT: How would you describe Texas football?

DH: HookEm. Burnt Orange. Crazy football state. Crazy stadium with crazy fans.

IT: How would you describe LSU football?

DH: Just pumped up. Come out of the locker room ready to bust some heads. That’s what I think about with LSU.

IT: How would you describe Alabama football?

DH: Straight business. Nick Saban is straight there to win. That’s it.

IT: Did any of the schools you visits remind you of the North Shore program?

DH: Bama. It’s just straight forward. Everybody that’s there is bought into the program, even if they aren’t starting. They just work hard. Focus on business. Not any just having fun there. Winning is what’s fun there.

IT: What will be the most difficult part of the end of the recruiting process. Will it be making the decision? Or telling the schools no that didn’t win the recruitment?

DH: Both really. I didn’t develop relationship with every one of the coaches on the staffs. And it’s just like dang, it’s hard to pick a school. I can’t go wrong, but I don’t want to be the guy that transfers. I don’t like al that stuff. That’s why I want to wait it out because I don’t want to decommit or anything

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

So it’s a weak list because we are getting good players who we need to work on in instead of layups? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

So it’s a weak list because we are getting good players who we need to work on in instead of layups? 

Gotta bitch about something. When we had weekends chock full of recruits, some poster was complaining it was way too crowded and wouldn't allow for individual attention. This place is called Surly for a reason...

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry - Denver Harris Interview 

DH: I like the environment. Everyone loves Austin. What is there to not love about Austin? I like the coaches. I like Coach Sark and what they are building up over there. I wish I could see a whole season. Or two years to sit back and watch the program. If I go there, it would kind of be like going in blind.

I think that summarizes what Sark and co are up against. Mack, Strong, and Herman's sucking ass has recruits gun skeptical of Texas. They want to come here, they need assurances Sark is not another failed coach. We say it every year but just win, things will take care of themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

There's a difference between guys we need to work on but have a chance with vs. players we need to work on and also require a minor miracle. Not saying layups at all, just would like to see more of the former. Dewberry, Perkins and especially Abor are all supposedly the latter. Guys like Finkley, Bledsoe, Stewart, Campbell, Thompson would be the former. Harris too so that's a good addition.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think that summarizes what Sark and co are up against. Mack, Strong, and Herman's sucking ass has recruits gun skeptical of Texas. They want to come here, they need assurances Sark is not another failed coach. We say it every year but just win, things will take care of themselves.

Yep. Something I'm sure opposing coaches don't hesitate to point out. Win and produce draft picks and this ship takes off for real.

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

Well, if he wants to stay close to home it makes sense. From Evanston, IL to UNC is only about 800 miles while it is about 1,100 to Austin. One's a long day's drive while the other is 4 hours more.

Huh? That doesn’t make any sense. Neither is a practical distance away if the dude is worried about proximity. He’s going to North Carolina because Mack Brown made him a priority and stomped a fucking mudhole in Sarkisian’s face while doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? That doesn’t make any sense. Neither is a practical distance away if the dude is worried about proximity. He’s going to North Carolina because Mack Brown made him a priority and stomped a fucking mudhole in Sarkisian’s face while doing it. 

You wouldn’t say this to Sarks face, he’d fuck you up! 😂🤣

All kidding aside it’s a tough loss but wonder if other priorities were ahead? Is there some behind the scenes stuff you can share about upcoming announcements and plans for guys visiting for the pool party?

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

DH: Both really. I didn’t develop relationship with every one of the coaches on the staffs. And it’s just like dang, it’s hard to pick a school. I can’t go wrong, but I don’t want to be the guy that transfers. I don’t like al that stuff. That’s why I want to wait it out because I don’t want to decommit or anything

Seems like Harris wants us to prove it on the field otherwise he’ll just go to Bama and become a first round pick.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You wouldn’t say this to Sarks face, he’d fuck you up! 😂🤣

All kidding aside it’s a tough loss but wonder if other priorities were ahead? Is there some behind the scenes stuff you can share about upcoming announcements and plans for guys visiting for the pool party?

I like my chances in a fistfight with Seven Win Steve. 

No one was in line for a spot that caused Cheeks to look elsewhere. Mack Brown straight up won the recruitment. 

I passed on a chunk of what I know in the last post from me before this one. 

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

NIL is playing a role already with recruiting, as we expected. Saban straight up made up the shit about Young today. He has no fucking clue what that player stands to make, largely because no one does, and he damned sure hasn’t seen evidence of material deals for the player. People at Bama literally laughed today hearing that shit. But, hey, he’s Nick Saban and he can do what he wants. 

As to others, Jamison needs to make some fucking money this fall, because Harris is watching. The math for Evan Stewart has changed. Guys like Worthy need to see legit value or they’ll go somewhere in which they can get it. 

Meanwhile, Del Conte is a damned road block trying to protect a fiefdom via compliance fiat.  He’s about to lose on that front, albeit not probably in public. 

I still have it this way:

Texas gets:

-Campbell 

-Anderson (he’s waiting to see something, I guess, or he’d have already gone public. I’m sticking with Texas and for good reason. 

-Harris (because his mother ultimately wants him close, not because he picks Texas over Bama)

-Patton

-Brown

I guess I’ll call the rest a continued crapshoot and everything ahead of the program for this class is going to be driven by the fall performance. People coming back with the trope that “winning this year won’t matter for this class” aren’t paying attention to the here and now and the dynamics of the past 18 months for both the world and UT football. 

Since going back after your reply, why the fuck is CDC such a bitch?

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

NIL is playing a role already with recruiting, as we expected. Saban straight up made up the shit about Young today. He has no fucking clue what that player stands to make, largely because no one does, and he damned sure hasn’t seen evidence of material deals for the player. People at Bama literally laughed today hearing that shit. But, hey, he’s Nick Saban and he can do what he wants. 

As to others, Jamison needs to make some fucking money this fall, because Harris is watching. The math for Evan Stewart has changed. Guys like Worthy need to see legit value or they’ll go somewhere in which they can get it. 

Meanwhile, Del Conte is a damned road block trying to protect a fiefdom via compliance fiat.  He’s about to lose on that front, albeit not probably in public. 

I still have it this way:

Texas gets:

-Campbell 

-Anderson (he’s waiting to see something, I guess, or he’d have already gone public. I’m sticking with Texas and for good reason. 

-Harris (because his mother ultimately wants him close, not because he picks Texas over Bama)

-Patton

-Brown

I guess I’ll call the rest a continued crapshoot and everything ahead of the program for this class is going to be driven by the fall performance. People coming back with the trope that “winning this year won’t matter for this class” aren’t paying attention to the here and now and the dynamics of the past 18 months for both the world and UT football. 

Sounds like we know who our Surly NIL rep should be! Shark would be a good one anyway. Worthy too and I like Tope who's close to Campbell

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I think that's check your sarcasm detector's batteries.  If not WTF.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Since going back after your reply, why the fuck is CDC such a bitch?

There is this longstanding notion within the Texas Athletic Department that change is bad and that revenue is paramount to all other things. Any change that can even vaguely be seen as jeopardizing revenue will be fought against, tooth and nail. You think CDC would be immune to getting indoctrinated into that kind of thinking? The UT AD is a machine and changing its belief structure and vision is a big ask of any individual.

NIL is viewed as cannibalistic to LHF revenues and therefore threatens the fiefdom. I think that view is folly, but I don't think someone in CDC's position having that fear is wholly unwarranted.

Nonetheless, the world just changed. It's like the guys in the 90's and early 2000's in charge of shit trying to control the Internet and what people say about their programs or brands. Mack Brown and Dodds both, not coincidentally, declared war on the Internet and various Internet properties over the years and actually won some battles, such as fucking co-opting Hornfans into believing that they were an extension of the program's voice and needed to regulate the voice of the fanbase. The SEC once tried to ban social media posts from sporting events with various rules and threats.

I mean, this kind of behavior from someone in power during a time of chaotic, rapid change isn't exactly unusual or even surprising. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I think that's check your sarcasm detector's batteries.  If not WTF.

Is this your first time interacting with a Reese Bennett post, then? He once made a demand on the football board that people stop referring to offensive linemen as "big uglies" or stereotyping them as less than intelligent, and he meant it. 

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know we're always talking about "Texas needs to win" in order to get better footing on the recruiting landscape these days, but to put it into sharp relief, here's what I was thinking about today.

Which one of these can Texas's current staff answer affirmatively on to a recruit:

1) We put players regularly into the 1st round of the NFL.

2) We make the playoffs ever.

3) We win national titles here.

4) We win conference titles here. 

Now think about every other program that Texas is recruiting against for the elite players.

Bama, Clemson, LSU - those 3 teams can lay a claim to credibly stating all 4 of those talking points. Ohio State's current regime can credibly claim 1, 2, and 4, and arguably talk about 3 with credibility. Notre Dame and Oklahoma can easily lay claims to 1 and 2, and OU can claim 4 while ND can just offer up the "we're Notre Dame" defense, which speaks to the brand power in the vein of 4. 

Who else is Texas banging heads with on the recruiting front? Oregon, North Carolina, Texas ATM, and Georgia. Maybe a little bit of Michigan and Florida mixed in. Oregon, ATM and Georgia cheat aggressively and they all put guys in the draft. Oregon played for a national title in the playoff era. Georgia regularly puts guys high in the draft, same for Florida. 

Anyway, Texas needs a big year and arguably several in order to take away some of the objections they're facing right now on those 4 fronts. They also need to collect some style points on both sides of the ball while winning, because some of those other programs sure as shit are. 

Win 10 games this year and win the conference title and compete to make the playoffs in 2022, and suddenly you're worrying about Bama, Clemson, OU, and Notre Dame with better credible arguments.

Meanwhile, Georgia hasn't won a national title in 40 years and counting. ATM in 82 years and counting. If Michigan can't win with Harbaugh, they ain't winning it all. Mack Brown will be dead, retired, or both by the time the 2023 class signs. Mullen isn't smuggling a national title trophy in his hunchback and will continue to be a paper tiger. LSU is a dumpster fire. Oregon has never won a national title and they're coached by a meatheaded imbecile who will continue to almost willfully lose games he shouldn't.

Sarkisian needs to narrow the field of competition and let nature take its course on Saban and Kelly by letting them die violently on the sidelines during old man fits of rage; figure out how to beat Riley regularly; and wait for the authorities to get wise to Ryan Day's pedophilia proclivities.

Our basketball team hasn't won jack shit and Beard has already shown that he can compete for recruits against Duke, Kansas, NC, and Kentucky. Why is football any different?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting