Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Highest NIL = Best Recruits = Wins

Highest NIL = Wealthiest People/Businesses x Highest Self Interest in a University

translation  - whoever has the most money AND the highest motivation to spend it with athletes of a particular university will make that university the winner. This formula is only marginally related to the universities today with the highest revenues for sports, hence why Miami, Oregon or other smaller revenue schools could end up on top at the end of this whole realignment. Unlikely but possible  Harvard could become Alabama if they want to  

I just don't think this is how NIL shakes out. I think the first 2 or 3 years maybe shake out this way, but this isn't the game changer that everyone is making it out to be from a landscape shift perspective. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

"what are you whiny bitches gonna do about it?" is such shitty take when it comes to things like this. We're looking at a new landscape and infrastructure needs to be built from scratch to support it,  without a clear value proposition for those who actually forge ahead and put the work in to try to build it. It's the fucking Cincinnatus Paradigm and it is thankless and riddled with personal and community risk that could last forever.

Creating things out of the ether is fucking hard even when you can see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but in this instance, it's not obvious that there's anything beneficial to those who put in the work other than: a fight with the existing regime; judgmental shittalking from the assholes on the Internet who will never be pleased; and a slap on the back by a few folks who actually get it but didn't doing anything to bring it about themselves. 

So yeah, let's all fucking get to it. Seems productive. I saw enough on that NIL thread in a couple of days to be reminded of why the juice isn't worth the squeeze here. There are some worthless shitheads around here who will legitimately do what they can to fuck up anyone else's life who deign to put themselves out there for some version of a greater good.

We could have a site up in less than 2 weeks, I don't think it would add any value at all though.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I just don't think this is how NIL shakes out. I think the first 2 or 3 years maybe shake out this way, but this isn't the game changer that everyone is making it out to be from a landscape shift perspective. 

We could have a site up in less than 2 weeks, I don't think it would add any value at all though.

This is the part that's so baffling to me.

This is a multi-billion dollar sport. Boosters have spent tens/hundreds of millions of dollars trying to help their teams win. Teams have built elaborate networks to funnel money to recruits - and in doing so they risk NCAA penalties, FBI investigations, criminal indictments and jail time. They have to deal with shady middlemen and the possibility that a recruit bails with the money, with no recourse, because you can't say anything publicly. 

And now, the NCAA has finally changed the rules to allow recruits to make money legally. Most of the risks of paying players to come to your school go away. The incentive to spend more money - directly to the recruit - is even higher. For boosters afraid to play the game before, there's a new path. For businesses that don't give a shit about the football team, but want to take advantage of the marketing possibilities of associating with winning players and teams, there's a whole new source of money just waiting to get paid out. 

This is the biggest change to college football since the explosion of cable TV. 

And yet you have people sitting here saying "Eh, I don't think it's really that big a deal". It's just mind bottling.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys. Fuck already. Can we quit with the SEC talk and get back to the NIL talk already.  Jesus you guys have adhd 

I only come here for the S&C coach recruiting chops talk.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 3

This move to the SEC talk especially if it gets done as soon as predicted the next 2-4 weeks should give a recruiting boost to us for those players that want to play in the SEC
Assuming it isnt just whiny aggy bullshit, who's saying it will be done in 2-4 weeks?

49 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This post reads like there's flip-flopping all over the board. Like we're actively lauding the job of the support/recruiting staff and CDC only to reverse course when we miss on NIL/a recruit/anything, and that's just not true. All you've done is speak to your own ignorance to what happens here. Go back to the football board.  

How does your lack of reading comprehension speak to my ignorance? I said the support staff stuff looks like the 9.95 equivalent of wagging the dog. It had nothing to do with flip-flopping.

24 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

This is a multi-billion dollar sport. Boosters have spent tens/hundreds of millions of dollars trying to help their teams win. Teams have built elaborate networks to funnel money to recruits - and in doing so they risk NCAA penalties, FBI investigations, criminal indictments and jail time. They have to deal with shady middlemen and the possibility that a recruit bails with the money, with no recourse, because you can't say anything publicly. 

And now, the NCAA has finally changed the rules to allow recruits to make money legally. Most of the risks of paying players to come to your school go away. The incentive to spend more money - directly to the recruit - is even higher. For boosters afraid to play the game before, there's a new path. For businesses that don't give a shit about the football team, but want to take advantage of the marketing possibilities of associating with winning players and teams, there's a whole new source of money just waiting to get paid out. 

And yet you have people sitting here saying "Eh, I don't think it's really that big a deal". It's just mind bottling.

You are just wrong. 

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

Somebody's manager seems a little sensitive today. Nothing in my post was angry nor was I mocking insiders. They are salesman and they're selling the perception that they know shit. I'm sure some do and others don't. If they're good, we can't tell one from the other. If they're really good we don't care. 

Our support staff may completely suck. CDC may be awful. I have no idea. So you're right, I can't present a credible argument to counter that. But here's the thing - you haven't made a credible argument that supports it. I believe that's called an "argument from ignorance." Two months ago, Texas had momentum, recruits loved us, and we were gettin errbody! I don't recall seeing stories about the support staff then. Fast forward a couple of months, 9.95ers get a string of recruits wrong and now Glasscock is an uninspired choice and Searels is disappointing and Brandon Harris isn't connecting with recruits. The accusations are vague, yet have a very specific target like CDC or Glasscock. The information isn't really measurable or meaningful, but sounds plausible and reinforces the idea that the author really is tied into the program and recruiting. 

Does the support staff suck? Maybe. But I haven't seen anything that supports a conclusion either way that doesn't amount to, "Trust me because I know things and all those things I was wrong about... hey look, there's a squirrel!"

Huh? I understand people have a lot going on and don't expect folks to keep up with every page, but if you're going to show up and talk shit about the thread, at least have your own shit together. No one here has been speaking well about Harris for months. The Glasscock hire was panned, not by me, but panned here by others contemporaneously. Searels just started like 2 months ago and not a person here was praising her for anything but being moderately chunky but attractive. The only person revising anything here is ... wait for it ... you. 

In any event, I didn't interpret your first post as angry. I wasn't angry responding. I just view the whole approach by you on these last few posts to be disingenuous bullshit couched in the age-old, happy-go-lucky "I'm not being an asshole and acting like I see everything more clearly than everyone else here, I'm just asking innocent questions" approach that we've all seen before. 

As to the "credibility" piece, dude, my point was that the facts, in other words their work history, couldn't be argued in their favor as being anything other than mediocre quality candidates for the roles they're in at Texas. You're welcome to your own opinions, but the fact set isn't fungible. 

Beyond all of that, whining about the current recruiting cycle thread having moments of high highs and low lows is as tedious as it is boring. No shit attitudes from fans about the recruiting class will fluctuate during the cycle. It's a fucking given. You sure are above it all, though (as you continue to post in the same thread). 

50 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I understand why people aren’t getting yet, but the news today of Texas finally throwing in the towel and considering joining the SEC is strong evidence that NIL is the biggest earthquake in college sports history. It took me awhile to realize that as I got more educated on it. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I just don't think this is how NIL shakes out. I think the first 2 or 3 years maybe shake out this way, but this isn't the game changer that everyone is making it out to be from a landscape shift perspective

You know how I know someone didn’t listen to CTJ on the podcast?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Some aggys claiming they have veto power.  Anyone aware of that?

There's always been some sort of urban legend/bastardization of the logic of only having one school per state in the SEC besides the legacy states of Mississippi and Alabama. I'm guessing idiotic ATM fans will cling to that notion like it's their last breath until ink is dry.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting